Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really hope we choose to do better at voting in a handful of weeks.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There is no way that Trump can push through a Supreme Court nominee this close to the election, right? Right?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Average time from nomination to final Senate vote is 67 days and we have 46 days until the election. No doubt Trump and Moscow Mitch will try to push someone through though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Of course they will try. And I wouldn't bet against them succeeding. For so many reasons, each of them bad, the Republican Party has been given so much power, and have been allowed to avoid consequences, that it could happen. For those who have been dehumanized and killed and will continue to be done so, we desperately need to get this election right.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
McConnell has already stated that they will fill the seat.

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to me that Mitch has decided they will already lose, and that it will make the Democrats look very bad to do the things required to unfuck the country, and that they can just get power back in two years if they make Democrats do those things.

Correctly, he has surmised that fucking up doesn't really affect Republicans in a long-term, meaningful way. And besides, with the filibuster gone they can utilize that play to do a whole lot worse than they've already done. He just thinks they can't be the ones to do it first.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
McConnell has already stated that they will fill the seat.
I'm curious if they don't see this as a chance to motivate voters out for Trump. Obv. the power grab seems like the best choice since it will set up decades of votes. The GOP could keep power now AND secure it in the future with a little patience. Ramming through a SCOTUS seems like a good way to stir liberals up for a November sweep.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I worry that it could motivate some of the evangelicals/etc who may have rediscovered their moral compass to change their mind about voting for Biden or just not voting for Trump. A nomination of scum like Cotton/Cruz/whatever could gin up the deplorables.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No, he's not. He's just another amoral Republican coward.