Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Rocket League

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I figure it's worth spinning out of the Random thread by now. It's getting updates, and seems like others are playing it.

The AquaDome update is out now.

Update Info | Patch Notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUVaV8ZGVbQ

New cars Triton and Proteus are available now as well, at $1.99 each. Unfortunately, Canadian PS4 pricing has them bumped up to $2.99 each.

Steam | PlayStation 4 | Xbox One

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
30 minutes turns into an entire night real quick.

Rumble mode is the most fun and most annoying thing in this game. It actually levels the playing field between those who are incredible at aerials and those who prefer a more grounded approach due to the randomness of the powers. The spikes seem OP until you realize that anybody with freeze or power can block it dead in its tracks, and it really seems like only the tornado is weak (even then, I've seen plenty of goals from those who've perfected it).

My favorite mode is still the hockey one (Snow Day), and being able to set up an Exhibition hockey match with Rumble mode power-ups is nuts.

I've opened 4 crates so far. I don't mind throwing money at keys since the money goes to the RLCS, thus keeping the game alive, and I've enjoyed each decal I've gotten out of it. I even lucked out on a Road King XL my first crate! Now, I just really need that X Devil MkII...

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rocket League Championship Series (Psyonix & Twitch's big competitive league) is having a Mid-Season Mayhem week. 8-team best-of-5 bracket; North America on Saturday, Europe on Sunday. Viewers vote on map and mutator choice for the first 4 games, with the possible #5 going to a Rumble match.

The 2nd round had arguably the top 2 North American teams play Pillars and Cosmic maps, then Friendly Fire and Pinball mutators.

https://www.twitch.tv/rocketleague

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I'm playing and having a blast. But I'll add that it can be a quick "hey, I'll play for a little bit" and next "I started at 7pm, why is it now 2am?" types of games.

Laz

Reaction score
What's everybody using for cars?

I cycle regularly between Ripper, Marauder, Esper, and the Road Hod XL almost nightly, with some use of Grog and Triton as well.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Breakout, Dominus GT, Merc, Takumi and Octane. Mainly use Takumi.

I also will soon be able to bust out the Takumi RX-T and Masamune in a few days as I offered a few items I scored for them and a few items. Technically he gave me Masamune already but I have it parked because the trade is still waiting on timers to finish. When it is totally complete then I will drive it.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Dominus, Breakout, Batmobile and Octane supposedly are the most used. I shalt be different and utilize Takumi RX-T and Masamune!

Laz

Reaction score
PS4 got screwed on exclusive cars. The XBONE has the Armadillo (based on Gears of War) and the Halo Warthog, while PS4 gets...Sweet Tooth.

I started using the Breakout last night after unlocking a new skin for it. It's alright, sure, but it feels a little generic compared to what I've been using.

Since Private Online matches are password protected and cross-platform, I'm thinking we should get a game going. When's everybody free?

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Laz said:
I started using the Breakout last night after unlocking a new skin for it. It's alright, sure, but it feels a little generic compared to what I've been using.
Hate to double post, but yeah. Depending on how this weekend goes, I might be able to squeeze it in.

As for why people use Breakout, it is because Breakout has a very good flat service that allows for being able to control your shots better when you flip. Also it is one of the lighter cars so it can have a mean air game.

A lot of the pros use it for that reason. Though I prefer working on my ground game, because if you can control the ground, no one can go flying.

Same reason why the Batmobile, Dominus, Octane and Merc are good options. The ones I mentioned are just used the most because they are the simplest to master. I don't mean that as if everyone can't master the others, but it is a cost and effort tying. Like, the pros want to be able to use something right away and be able to maintain a high level of play without needing to focus more on what needs to be done.

Like, if someone would take the time and effort, they'd realize that the best car for being a goaltender is the Scarab. It has the greatest turn rate out of all the cars I've seen, so you can get into position for saves really quickly. Plop on the best turning wheels I've found, Mountaineer, and she'll be able to to stop things easily.

Also, yes, wheels actually do change your cars turn rate, acceleration and breaking. Well it isn't really breaking per se, but how quickly you can lower your speed, hence why I said "breaking". It is only slight differences, so you won't notice them unless you put them on certain cars.

Anyways, just me rambling. I'll probably free with some time this weekend, as I don't think I'll be able to attend the program I signed up for. As I've got slammed with assignments and projects for next week. Stupid midterms are coming up.

Laz

Reaction score
I wish I saved a clip of it, but I made an absolutely gorgeous aerial save with the Esper on the Pillars map in Rumble. Right at the face-off, the opposing team nailed a great arc shot while my teammates (both in prime face-off position) did nothing, so a quick jump and boost and whammy: shot on goal.

Neo-Tokyo and the other Rocket Labs arena of similar design are shyte. The multiple tiers throws me off every time, especially since there's a bit of lower gravity on them (at least in the Labs one).

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's Halloween items in drops starting today, until Nov 1. Items from Halloween 2015 are also back, and won't return in the future.

https://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016-Halloween-Items/

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So you guys ever want to get together for some rocketing?

Laz

Reaction score
Aye-aye. We just need to agree on a time to set the private room up.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's the first show from Danny O'Dwyer's company, Noclip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtzQ9e7uPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0j9SLBDPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb_NBiJ0ilk

Laz

Reaction score
Is Saturday around 3:30-4PM (Eastern) good for a CXF game?

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
We still attempting this? I only saw myself and Laz interested, so I'm guessing not.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Well, it isn't going to be today for me. Things came up and I am going to be jetting in about 30 or so minutes. Fun times.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Sorry for not being available Laz. Did you guys have fun at least? Or did it not happen? Still would be down to trying to get this happen.

Laz

Reaction score
Didn't happen, seems like we're the only two interested. You running off PC or console?

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
On PC, keyboard and mouser.

...yes, I can hear the gasp of horror over that.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Why as in why on keyboard and mouse? I don't own one.

Why in horror? Pretty much everyone tells me I should be playing on a game pad. Not because I suck (playmaker only here), but that it'll be a better experience.