Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Rollin' 20's

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
After a little convincing from my roommate's nephews, I've picked up D&D. Why I mocked it for so many years is apparent, but now I feel guilty for doing so because holy shit it's so much fun. I've only played it once and I'm hooked.

We're all nerds here. Let's talk about rolling some crits and slaying dragons.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As EPMD once so wisely said, "Get off the bandwagon!"

In all seriousness, I have been playing since fucking 1981 in one form or another. I have been co-hosting a D&D podcast for five years, I am constantly working on my game, and the last game I ran was with my podcast mates on roll20.net, the place for running a game on the intarwebz.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bought the 5th edition starter set because I really want to start playing...but none of my friends want to play with me.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love D&D, but had to stop playing because I don't have enough friends with interest. The group I was in was going strong for about a year until our fourth dropped out and somehow the three of us didn't know nobody else that could commit to playing. It was doubly painful 'cause I loved the character I made for the campaign that we had to abruptly abandon - a sweet young woman who dreams of singing superstardom but has been so pampered and sheltered that no one's ever told her that she's a lousy singer. For a mere one session I got to speak as my character in the voice of a sassy southern belle. Sigh.

Over the summer I ran my first campaign and had a blast, even though I butted heads at times with my players and was learning as I went. I stole a lot of the ideas I integrated into it wholesale from The Adventure Zone (http://theadventurezone.tumblr.com/), which resulted in a game more concerned with being fun and light than serious and rule-obsessed.

Though it's not D&D, I'm currently playing a game over the Internet with a friend of mine who built his own 3d10 system from scratch. It's great fun and it's keeping the roleplaying itch at bay until I can find a new group of nerds to get back into D&D with.

Laz

Reaction score
Roll20 is an online community for putting D&D games together via Skype. We can always get a game together.

I ended up DMing this past Saturday night, using Lost Mines of Phandelver as the outline. Some creative liberties were taken to keep things interesting, but it was a fun time had by all.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
Roll20 is an online community for putting D&D games together via Skype. We can always get a game together.

I actually would be down for this if it works with my schedule.

Laz

Reaction score
I'm going to try to figure it all out this week. It seems fairly straightforward, but I'm sure there's some learning curve to it.

Here's a basic tutorial I found. I've watched a few of this guy's videos and he obviously knows what he's doing, but he's not 100% clear on his instructions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svG0RmIGBPU

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's not that bad once you have it down. No more or less work than planning out a dice-and-paper campaign.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I found making decent looking maps to be really labor intensive but I have OCD which manifests as perfectionism. Using Vector based design software probably wasn't the best decision.

That said, my players loved it once we switched from the awful Roll20 voice chat and went to Skype.

Laz

Reaction score
So, would you guys be down with a CXF D&D adventure?

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've actually never played 5E. After the abortion that was 4E, I switched to Pathfinder and never looked back.

Laz

Reaction score
5E seems much more streamlined, and I know Chris Perkins made it a big point to emphasize the fun over the statistics. If you watch/listen to any of the Acquisitions Inc. stuff 2014 onward it'll give you a great idea of how 5E works. I was literally able to pick it up within a week after never playing any tabletop game before.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At this point I have so many game systems crammed into my brain that I'm loathe to learn any more.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You should go on some D&D-based message boards where the majority of users are older farts than me and think the darkest days of D&D were when Gary Gygax was ousted for a new regime, never mind he and most of his contemporaries (whom I respect) had little business acumen and more or less went bankrupt, despite D&D selling literally millions of copies. The arguments they get into are something to behold.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The old grognards on rpg.net are something to behold.

I've only been playing since '92. I got nothing on most of those guys.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I start running a new Pathfinder campaign I’ve been designing for 6 months on Sunday.

Instead of game prep, I’m laying in bed.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never played. I own the red starter box because I wanted to see what it was all about but found some of it kinda dense, mainly because I don't feel like I could ever succeed as a DM and it also seems like something that is best learned sitting at a table and just playing and gaining that understanding during the play. I listen to so many D&D podcasts that I know it would be fun to muck around with but it is something that no one I personally know would ever get near and I don't have a complete grasp on how it works online and, yeah, I'd rather not do it with a bunch of randos (pun not intended) and play with people I know and can have more fun with.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea how people play with random people. The idea of playing in a Pathfinder Society game is anxiety inducing.

Laz

Reaction score
Bumping this because I found a wrestling-themed RPG called World Wide Wrestling. For $15 you can get a digital download of the core game and its expansion, and I'm looking to get a game going with some friends once they've downloaded it.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Magic the Gathering is officially crossing over with DnD with the Ravnica plane release for DnD.

Laz

Reaction score
Nice. I've been listening to Glass Cannon and Androids & Aliens, been interested in checking out both Pathfinder and Starfinder as a result. It'd be cool to hear how it goes, Vic.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
Bumping this because I found a wrestling-themed RPG called World Wide Wrestling. For $15 you can get a digital download of the core game and its expansion, and I'm looking to get a game going with some friends once they've downloaded it.

I'm actually about 15-weeks into a weekly game with some guys I found on Roll20 (while looking for a D&D game). If you have a good DM and a good group of guys, its a lot of fun. I'm starting to hit that point though where it feels like I'm playing a wrestling rpg with guys who don't really watch wrestling and just play rpgs (based on view points about wrestling I have with some of theirs).

But it has been a hell of a lot of fun and pretty wild.

Laz

Reaction score
My friend actually came up with a killer rule for it after we had a match that took 40 minutes to finish. He suggested instituting time limits by dictating how many sequences are allowed per match.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
My friend actually came up with a killer rule for it after we had a match that took 40 minutes to finish. He suggested instituting time limits by dictating how many sequences are allowed per match.

Yeah, most matches in my game average 20-30 minutes. I think the DM/Booker just allows it to go long enough for everyone to get their heat/audience but it depends on the dice. Last week, I had a squash match with a NPW that went about 10 minutes because I had good dice.

Laz

Reaction score
Bumping again to see if anybody is into Starfinder?