Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ROUND 1: YOUTH N ASIA VS. BROOKLYN ZOO (24 HOURS TO VOTE)

Round 1

• Youth N Asia

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Brooklyn Zoo

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score

GettyImages-1443045.jpg

ROUND 1 - 90s NBA DRAFT TOURNAMENT:

YOUTH N ASIA VS. BROOKLYN ZOO

24 HOURS TO VOTE

HERE IS THE RUNDOWN:

YOUTH N ASIA:

Starting

PG Kevin Johnson
SG Joe Dumars
SF Grant Hill
PF Vin Baker
C Patrick Ewing

Off the bench
PG/SG Ron Harper
PG Sam Cassell
SG Ray Allen
C Rony Seikaly
SF/SG Michael Finley
PF/C Otis Thorpe
PF Wayman Tisdale

Not much to write up here. Not the sexiest team on paper, but tons of talent without a lone scoring alpha so there’s plenty of ball movement and everyone will get theirs. I also think I have the strongest bench.

Didn’t pick any specific years to go on anyone. I feel like saying “I want this guy, but only want one year represented” is another way of saying they weren’t really shit the rest of the 90’s.

Brooklyn Zoo:

Starters:

PG: Penny Hardaway
SG: Mitch Richmond
SF: Eddie Jones
PF: Horace Grant
C: David Robinson

Bench:
PG: Terrell Brandon
SG: John Starks/Mario Elie
SF: Derrick McKey/Anthony Mason/Mario Elie
PF: Kevin McHale/Anthony Mason
C: Rasheed Wallace/Kevin McHale

Offense revolves around Penny, Mitch and Robinson. Eddie and Horace fill the gaps with defense and in the case of Eddie Jones, 3 point shooting. I tried to build a squad that can mesh and not get in each other’s way. Penny and Robinson got the two man game going. They complement each other because Robinson isn’t a prototypical post player. The two can play a lot of pick and roll, and Penny can hit him in space. Mitch Richmond is capable of playing with ball dominant point guards named Hardaway. And when the shot clock is about to expire, he’s a player that can take anybody one on one. Horace Grant will allow David Robinson to eat by cleaning the glass and taking on the toughest dude on the opposing frontline, though David himself is one of the best defensive players ever. Grant is also efficient, and can hit the mid range J. He and Eddie will make teams pay for focusing on the big 3. Eddie is a great defensive wing who will also stretch the floor.

Off the bench I got Terrell Brandon for instant offense and penetration. John Starks and Mario Elie for outside shooting and perimeter defense. Anthony Mason brings an all-round game with an emphasis on passing and defense. Kevin McHale for easy buckets and Rasheed Wallace as the consummate team player, providing what needs to be provided (post offense, post defense, glue guy). Derrick McKey is my best defender off the bench. He may end games at times, depending on who is playing small forward for the opposing team.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Really, really like BZ's team. Near endless possibilities of matchups and playing styles. The one *slight* problem I maybe see is that a team with a really quick PG than can fill it up (which YNA does have) could give them problems. But I think if they get out and run, they could blow it open quick. BZ gets my vote. YNA has a nice mix of talent, but he ran into a juggernaut this time

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Really tough match up. I think BZ has one of the most versatile teams but everybody on YNA's starting 5 can easily run & gun with a deep rotation at the 1 & 2 spots (Harper, Cassell, Allen) along with Michael Finley...

I think it's a matter of BZ opting to play a big man group against YNA's run & gun style to try and get more of an edge inside where BZ has much, much stronger depth. I dunno how well Anthony Mason or old man Kevin McHale could handle trying to defend a run & gun pace but I think I have to push the edge towards BZ's team.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw YNA's team and was like "ooh". Then I saw BZ's team and was like "ooh". I almost couldn't call it, but i decided on BZ. I do love my Pistons (Dumars/Hill) and think YNA's bench is deeper. But I prefer Robinson over Ewing, love Richmond as a scoring-option who gets to play with real talent instead of the shitty Kings teammates he had most of the 90s, and like Grant as a glue/grit guy as opposed to Baker who could be iffy despite having good numbers at times.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Bad draw for YNA. I like both teams a lot and both benches are about equal with potentially fascinating matchups. Both have extremely strong wing and guard rotations that could run n' gun for days. The big difference for me is the bigs and defence. I like the Robinson/Grant more than the Baker/Ewing pairing and I like the defensive versatility McKey and Mason give BZ.

I'd be curious to see YNA go small with Hill at PF and Allen or Finley starting and Baker anchoring the second unit. Either way, he'd get crushed on the boards by the Grant/Robinson combo and for me that swings it. Voted for BZ but it was very close.