Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ROUND 1: YPOV VS. ABOVEAVERAGE (24 HOURS TO VOTE)

Round 1

• YPOV

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • AboveAverage

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score

hqdefault.jpg

ROUND 1 - 90s NBA DRAFT TOURNAMENT:

YPOV VS. ABOVEAVERAGE

24 HOURS TO VOTE

HERE IS THE RUNDOWN:

YPOV:

Starting Lineup:

PG: Mookie
SG: Reggie
SF: Pippen
PF: KG
C: Sabonis

Second Unit:
PG: Mark Jackson
SG: Hersey Hawkins/Isaiah Rider
SF: Chuck Person/Isaiah Rider
PF: Charles Oakley/Joe Smith/Chuck Person
C: Mark Eaton

Our team has a bunch of efficient players who do things unexpected of their position, so we can do whatever it takes to win. Also, the fact that each person in my starting lineup is recognizable by one name alone shows how cool they are.

KG, Sabonis and Pippen can score from anywhere within the arc. Reggie is one of the best scoring threats of the era and can score from anywhere. Sabonis will hit double digits, the rest are all capable of scoring 20-25 and can drop much more when they've got the hot hand. All of these guys can get open on their own, but having three front court players who can facilitate and create offence for others is a great attribute. Sabonis and KG are both double digit rebounders with the size to hold court in the paint. As I said earlier, KG was already a great defensive player by the end of the 90s. Pippen might be the best defensive player of the era. Arguably the best perimeter defender, one of the best at help defence in the post, and can captain a defence through whatever strategy is required.

I also have great offence on my bench in Hawkins, Person and Rider. If I’m facing a team that clogs the paint, I can use Person to shoot from the outside. If there are opportunities to slash, both Hawkins and Rider are two of the best at it. If need more of a defensive presence in the paint that eliminates second-chance scoring opportunities, I can fit Oakley in at PF with KG at Center. He's also still a very efficient scorer. Eaton is a defensive stalwart who can be used when I need more defence in the post. I can get away with that because everyone else on the court will be able to score. Joe Smith is a wild card, a poor man’s KG that’s there to be a utility man depending on the line-up and need of the second unit.

Mark Jackson is one of the best at running an offence. But with all those scorers and facilitators on the floor, I can value the defence at the position and start Mookie. Nice to have that on the bench, though.

ABOVEAVERAGE:

Lineup:

PF: Karl Malone
SF: Bernard King
C: Brad Daugherty
SG: Jeff Hornacek (can also run point when needed)
PG: Tim Hardaway

Bench:
Kenny Anderson (PG)
Jamal Mashburn (SF)
Jim Jackson (SG/SF)
Jayson Williams (C/PF)
Brian Grant (PF/SF)
Kendall Gill (SG/SF)
Tyrone Hill (C/PF)

Rotation (Starters Listed First)
PG: Tim Hardaway (23 min)/Kenny Anderson (22 min)/Hornacek (3 min)
SG: Hornacek (20 min)/Jim Jackson (15 min)/Kendall Gill (13 min)
SF: Bernard King (18 min)/Mashburn (18 min)/Gill (8 min)/Brian Grant (4 min)
PF: Malone (24 min)/Brian Grant (9 min)/Jayson Williams (9 min)/Tyrone Hill (6 min)
C: Daugherty (28 min)/Hill (13 min)/Jayson Williams (7 min)

I guess my overall game plan would be to have someone fresh on the court at each position the entire game. I think the team is pretty well-rounded overall, maybe bit weaker on the defensive end but Daugherty (and Mutombo) were probably the only non-Big 4 centers that could hang with them down low, so I think he is a real asset. I wouldn't say that there are any stand-out defenders but several of these players were more than adequate on that end so I am not too concerned on that front.

Reaction score
Alright guys. This will be the last matchup of round 1 and the week. Round 2 will start on Monday at 12 HIGH NOON

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I like AA's team but I think YPOV has one of the best potential starting 5 group in the entire tournament. People also forget that Sabonis could drain it from 3 point range so that offense is truly just a nightmare to try and defend. YPOV can pick & roll, have guys spread the court, or even pound inside to KG and Sabonis. Having Jackson, Person, and Oakley on the bench can also let YPOV mix & match better match-up wise.

I think AA's team would hang for 2 & 1/2 to 3 quarters but YPOV's team can score from almost anywhere with almost everybody so that 4th quarter would be where his team could run away.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Another really tough choice, maybe the toughest one so far. I like the center matchup, two guys who were known more for their skill and bball IQ than any sort of physical dominance. I also love the contrast in the benches, with AA's having that sort of workhorse vibe compared to the flash and boisterous personalities on YPOV's bench.

But I have to give a slight edge to YPOV on this one. I can see Reggie getting off in this matchup, as I don't see a guy on that team chasing him through all those screens. The only guy who might have a hope is Kendall Gill. The elite defense of Mookie, Pippen and KG combined with the chippiness of Oakley and Person gives the team that mid-90's grit and grind vibe. And I also think his bench has a bit more potential to take over a game if the starters may not have it.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My bad AA, I just have a biased hatred of Malone. Aside from that, I do, honestly just think YPOVs team is stacked a bit more and you just got a bad draw in the first round.

Lol, all good

OG

OG
Reaction score
I gotta go with YPOV. His starting 5 is super strong and very well balanced. Pippen was good at getting under Malone's skin and I can imagine KG would be as well. Then you get Mookie all over Hardaway and we're left with Bernard King carrying the scoring load. On the other hand, Sabonis, Pippen and KG are all high level passers so Reggie, Hawkins and Person will feast with wide open 3's.

I really like AA's team but I just think this is a bad matchup for him.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I like AA's second unit slightly better actually, but I'm going with YPOV overall. Love the Pippen/Miller wing combo and I think this version of Sabonis can still handle Daugherty. Maybe I'd feel different if the Knicks version of Bernard King was eligible (even though the Bullets version could still get buckets).

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I ran best of 7 sims for all the match ups so far and they all matched the poll results... except this one :(

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys know how I feel about Reggie Miller, so I voted for AA.