Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just read that Kenan Thompson is finally hosting the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards this spring. As a '90s kid, I'm glad he finally gets his due but do kids these days even care about SNL? Will the inevitable Good Burger reunion just go straight over their head?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I just read that Kenan Thompson is finally hosting the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards this spring. As a '90s kid, I'm glad he finally gets his due but do kids these days even care about SNL? Will the inevitable Good Burger reunion just go straight over their head?
Kenan has a family sitcom debuting side by side with Young Rock. I’m guessing it is in part to promote that.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought it was okay. Seeing a lot of people thought it was one of the best shows of the season. Can't really agree.

And man the crowd was DEAD the whole night

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I heard they got another ringer in to play Ted Cruz. That's all I know.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It is, but SNL is about as hip as Vince.

zznRdPU.gif

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
None of you guys can't convince me that 2010s nostalgia is going to become a thing in near future when the decade just ended 14 months ago!

Although gdi I guess I'm not hip anymore either :(

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I'm hip aware enough to know that Nick Jonas is still relevant on Top 40 radio and I feel like a Gen Zer would react to me calling him a '00s act the same way I would react if an Xer called Justin Timberlake a '90s act.

VH1 was airing "I Love the 2000s" in like 2008. It's happening, brah.
Yeah but everyone HATED that. HATED IT. It was so bad that they did another I Love The '00s in like 2014/15 where they ignored the fact that they already did one.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought Nick Jonas was going to break out as an actor a few years ago. There were a couple indie movies where he gave pretty decent performances. That was like 5 or 6 years ago already, damn. He's very forgettable in the Jumanji movies, so he has that going for him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm honestly amazed that it's taken this long for Nick or his brothers to host. I know they've been MG a few times and appeared in some sketches. But it seems like SNL tries out basically every massively huge pop act in the host spot since Justin Timberlake was revealed to be surprisingly good in the '00s.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember Bruno Mars (Hey 2010's nostalgia) being surprisingly good too.

Some of the others though. Yeesh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Drake was shockingly really good the 1 or 2 times he has hosted (“what do you mean shockingly!?”-TSM’s Degrassi fan community) but besides him and Bruno, rest have ranged from unnecessary at best to downright horrible at worst.

I don’t think any host besides Steven Seagal has gotten more “Man, fuck that piece of garbage!” energy From the cast that they worked with than Justin Bieber. And weird thing is Lorne has invited him back a few times as musical guest since.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Drake was shockingly really good the 1 or 2 times he has hosted (“what do you mean shockingly!?”-TSM’s Degrassi fan community) but besides him and Bruno, rest have ranged from unnecessary at best to downright horrible at worst.

I don’t think any host besides Steven Seagal has gotten more “Man, fuck that piece of garbage!” energy From the cast that they worked with than Justin Bieber. And weird thing is Lorne has invited him back a few times as musical guest since.
Paris Hilton got some of that. Tina Fey gave a pretty scathing interview on Stern (I think) detailing how much of a nightmare it was to work with Hilton.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trump should probably be an honorable mention but I feel like consensus at the time was that he was a dumb egomaniac but not a jerk or super difficult to work with (beyond just him being super dense).

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I saw an interview with Pete Davidson and he mostly was making fun of how weird he was and mentioned that it seemed like he struggled to read while trying to pretend he could.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Pounding through the old shows on Peacock has been awesome, but I always say that.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Paris Hilton got some of that. Tina Fey gave a pretty scathing interview on Stern (I think) detailing how much of a nightmare it was to work with Hilton.
I remember Tina mentioning Hilton really seemed to hate Jessica Simpson for some reason, and wanted to do a really mean spirited sketch about her.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just watched it was easier to access the full episodes somewhere.

Also I got to say my absolute all time favorite bad SNL host moment is Bruce Willis just wandering off halfway through a sketch cause he didn't like it during his last stint in 2013ish.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember Tina mentioning Hilton really seemed to hate Jessica Simpson for some reason, and wanted to do a really mean spirited sketch about her.
Jessica Simpson played Paris Hilton in a sketch where her and Nick Lachey co-hosted in 2003.

I was JUST talking yesterday to my friend about when SNL reruns moved to E! in the early-mid '00s and suddenly seemed to be targeting towards that demographic HARD with their host selection. Aforementioned Newlyweds and Paris Hilton episodes, Olsen Twins hosting, Trump hosting 1st time, girls in the audience screaming at Jimmy Fallon like he was in NSYNC.

BLERG! My absolute least favorite time to be an SNL fan and still I preferred it over MadTV (basis of this conversation was my unending visceral hatred of MadTV and my friend trying to argue that MadTV was fine).

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bill Murray is a category all his own. Better being a fucking weird recluse than inches from a blackball like Chevy has been for most of his career.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jessica Simpson played Paris Hilton in a sketch where her and Nick Lachey co-hosted in 2003.

I was JUST talking yesterday to my friend about when SNL reruns moved to E! in the early-mid '00s and suddenly seemed to be targeting towards that demographic HARD with their host selection. Aforementioned Newlyweds and Paris Hilton episodes, Olsen Twins hosting, Trump hosting 1st time, girls in the audience screaming at Jimmy Fallon like he was in NSYNC.

BLERG! My absolute least favorite time to be an SNL fan and still I preferred it over MadTV (basis of this conversation was my unending visceral hatred of MadTV and my friend trying to argue that MadTV was fine).
Yeah that post Will Ferrell era after he left up until around 2006 when the next group (Samberg, Wiig, Hader, Sudiekiis,) started breaking out pretty much killed my love for SNL for a few years. A good chunk of that 2002-2005 or so cast had a bunch of people that usually annoyed me on SNL or started having their shtick get a little old. There were still some cast members doing good work like Will Forte and Amy Poehler, but the shakeup in the mid 00's was much needed.