Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Senate and House Races 2020

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a lot of interesting races going on so I thought it'd be pertinent to center them into a thread.

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-mcgrath-takes-narrow-lead-over-mitch-mcconnell-kentucky-senate-race-poll-shows-1509691
Democratic senatorial candidate Amy McGrath appears to have a very narrow lead over Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in Kentucky's race, according to a recent poll.

With the candidates' positions on term limits factored in (HQ Note - McGrath supports, McConnell doesn't), McGrath was backed by 45 percent of respondents, while McConnell was supported by just 30 percent. But 17 percent of those surveyed were still undecided, and 8 percent said
they'd vote for a different candidate.

Thus far, McGrath has significantly outperformed McConnell in fundraising. As of April, she had taken in $12.8 million during the first fundraising quarter of the year, compared with McConnell's $7.5 million.

McGrath has not yet secured her party's nomination, as the Kentucky primary will be held June 23. Several other candidates are seeking the nomination, but McGrath has received the most attention and support from the party.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/ky0EOonDSFc

MAN, HQ AND LAZ IF YOU ARE KENNEDY GUYS, I'M GONNA THROW A ROCK AT YOU!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There is literally no reason for JK3 to be running for US Senate other than he wants to. Ed Markey is one of the most progressive voices in the US Senate and a damn fine Senator. But because of JK3's last name, he's automatically going to win at least 35-40% of the vote and it's possible if not probable that he'll win.

If his last name wasn't Kennedy, he'd be blackballed from the Democrat Party for doing this.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Things are so staunchly along party lines here that it's going to take every boomer to stay home and every metro liberal to turn up for ANYTHING to change. We *had* a Democratic senator with a LOT of clout in DC that got voted out because people stopped voting on content of the candidate's offerings.

The only reason why we have a D in the governor's mansion is that he's pro life and the R running against him got outed for his kinks.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds so fucking shady, so it's no surprise that Kentucky would do it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Georgia should all be seen as sneak peeks at how the Republican Party is going to try to steal the election in the Fall.

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Mitch is going to lose anyway, so it's nice that the better candidate in the primary appears to be the one that will win.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it's a great sign that left wing candidates are getting votes in deep red states. I doubt Kentucky will be in play this year but in 10 years, maybe....

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
McGrath needs to give that money to Booker's campaign. I agree that it will be hard to take Mitch's seat, but that was an impressive win, I don't think its totally impossible for Booker to win.

Dandy

Reaction score
It is not a win yet. With all the mail-in votes, it could be another week before they know, but Tuesday at the earliest.

They were at 79% of the precincts reporting when he posted those totals. It will be a very close outcome. The county that houses Louisville is said to have 10 absentee/mail-in ballots for every ballot that was cast in person. In Kentucky, the counties that have Louisville and Lexington are the huge population centers and basically were the only areas that the new Democratic Governor won. So those two areas will have massive numbers of absentee Democratic ballots being counted.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Democrats Optimistic About Senate Wins

Democrats need to gain three seats and win the White House or net four seats to have a simple majority outright. Complicating their calculations, Republicans and political handicappers view Alabama, where Sen. Doug Jones (D-Ala.) is up for reelection, as a likely GOP pick up.

Strategists and political handicappers agree that the core Senate battleground states, beyond Alabama, are Arizona, Colorado, Maine and North Carolina, where GOP Sens. Martha McSally, Cory Gardner, Susan Collins and Thom Tillis are on the ballot.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Susan Collins getting ousted is hardly a sure thing. Honestly, right now I would say election leans slightly in her favor. It should be a slam dunk for the Maine Democratic Party but the presumptive nominee Sarah Gideon is essentially Susan Collins in a different pant suit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Amy McGrath declared winner in Kentucky Democratic Senate Primary even though a lot of Kentucky media are reporting that Charles Booker still has the lead. Seems fishy.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Man... I have to hand it to The Lincoln Project for at least knowing how to hammer home stuff like that. Wish your Democrats would do the same.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It'd be a lot more exciting to be voting in the most interesting Senate race of the election if both candidates weren't boring af, bland centrists. Thankfully, we have ranked choice voting so only my most insane neoliberal friends will browbeat me for voting Green this election cycle. :cool:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Tuesday Senate Primary Results Notes

- Progressive candidate Cori Bush defeated 10-term incumbent Rep. William Lacy Clay in the Democratic primary for Missouri's 1st Congressional District, a stunning upset during Tuesday's primaries.
- Roger Marshall's victory (Kansas) is also a win for Republicans who feared that if Kobach won the primary, it could possibly leave room for the Democrats' candidate to win in the general election in November.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kobach losing is a good sign that maybe the Republican base will just go back to being evil and latently racist instead of their current evil, blatantly racist, and stupid base.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Progressive darling and incumbent.

Nancy Pelosi always warns against challenging incumbents except I guess when it's a Kennedy.