Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Senate and House Races 2020

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

"And this week, Sen. Kelly Loeffler took her move to the right to a new level: Touting the endorsement of a controversial House candidate from Georgia who has promoted the QAnon conspiracy and had been denounced by other Republicans before winning the GOP nomination in her race for making bigoted and racist comments.

So to win the November election outright, a candidate must surpass 50% of the vote; if not, the top two candidates face off in a January runoff. Since it's unlikely that any candidate will reach the 50 percent threshold, both Collins and Loeffler have been competing intensely to make the runoff by wooing Republican voters and appealing to the conservative base, which represents a slice of the state's 6.9 million registered voters.

That has created an opening for the leading Democratic candidate, Rev. Raphael Warnock, who has been mostly unscathed amid the daily slugfest between Collins and Loeffler, and was rewarded with a Friday fundraiser led by former President Barack Obama.

In late September, a Quinnipiac University poll showed Warnock with 31%, Loeffler at 23%, and Collins at 22% among likely voters. In October, another Quinnipiac poll showed Warnock at 41%, Collins at 22%, and Loeffler at 20%.

But now, the Republican candidates are spending the last days of the Senate race as if they were running in a primary, trying to appeal to the hardcore members of their party -- like Greene.

While Warnock is the heavy favorite to make it to a runoff, some Democrats fear that Matt Lieberman, a Democratic candidate and son of former Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman, who has polled in the single digits, will siphon away enough support to prevent Warnock from winning in November outright."

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Probably hoping for way too much but it'd sure be nice if both GA seats flip.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

"Hickenlooper is ahead of Gardner in all 12 Senate polls posted on FiveThirtyEight’s poll tracker since July, and is ahead by at least 5% in 11.

The prediction is on par for a state President Donald Trump lost by about 5% in 2016, and a state that hasn’t given its electoral votes to a Republican since 2004.

But neither the ethics fiasco nor Gardner’s debate attacks have managed to put a dent in Hickenlooper’s polling performance. Two polls released Thursday showed him ahead of Gardner by 10 to 11 points.

As of Thursday night, about 21,500 people had returned ballots in Larimer County with more than 2 weeks to go before Election Day. That's close to 9% of active registered voters. More than 10,000 of the ballots already returned are from registered Democrats, another 7,600 are from unaffiliated voters — a population that leans left in Colorado — and 3,500 are from registered Republicans."

Even just assuming a 50/50 split on the unaffiliated (and assuming party line voting) that'd be 13,800 Blue votes against just 7,300 Red votes. Bump that to a 60-40 split and it's even more pronounced: 14,560 against 6,540.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's promising. If the Americans can win there, NC, AZ, and Maine, they won't need any of the bigger upsets. But a few ladles of gravy on top would be good in case of Manchin-type votes and to get closer to 60 in 2022 (if still necessary).

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sen Graham is calling for an investigation into the contributions to Harrison's campaign. So I just made my third small donation to Harrison.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Did the Majority Leader get a bad batch of regeneron?
I don't know what you'd have to do to get gravity bruising in your hands, but I've had gravity bruising from my waist down before and it's the same skin tone he's rocking in those photos and it looks gross and scary as hell if you're not warned beforehand. That said, it was from my femoral artery being cut in my case, I don't know if the aorta (in his case) would send bruising to the hands.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good look at Susan Collins' concerning reelection chances.

I had forgotten the '08 US Senate race and the parallels between this race. Tom Allen was my congressman and was extremely popular in Southern Maine and probably would still have that job today. It seemed like it was going to be a close swing race but Collins was so popular that DNC threw in the towel almost right away. How times change!

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At a fundraiser with Nevada elites a couple days ago, the president predicted that his party will lose the senate but, somehow, win back the House.

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still hope he'd lose even if his opponent is many miles from perfect.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

"Democrats need a net gain of four Senate seats to win the chamber if Biden loses. Assuming Democrats lose Alabama -- which CNN has consistently ranked the seat most likely to flip this year -- they need to flip five other seats. But if Biden wins the presidency, they need a net gain of only three since the vice president breaks ties in the Senate. Again, assuming they lose Alabama, Democrats would need to flip four seats.

In Kansas, for example, Trump was leading by just 7 points -- down from his 21-point margin in 2016 -- and GOP Rep. Roger Marshall was ahead by only 4 in a New York Times/Siena College poll from last week.

Public polling, at least, seems to bear out Cunningham's bet that voters don't much care about his personal scandal. He led Tillis by 49% to 43% among likely voters in a CBS/YouGov poll released Sunday ... A Washington Post/ABC News poll from mid-October showed no clear leader, but 71% of registered voters said Cunningham's affair was less important, while 81% said who controls the Senate was more important to them."

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hopefully both of the above Trumpers lose. Georgia seems to look a little better every day; there is some room for hope there. And maybe this is the year Mainers realize that Collins is not independent, not strong, and doesn't give a shit about the people of her state.

GOP is now starting to pin their senate hopes on somehow flipping seats in Michigan or Minnesota. I don't think either will happen. They're trying to rest their hopes on "riots" in Minnesota; that'd have a better chance for them across the river (and they're trying it here). I hope I'm right about that, I hope that stuff doesn't work anywhere. I think it's more likely that the Dems flip 7 or 8 seats than it is that the Trumps flip Michigan or MN.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Being from MN myself, I'm kind of concerned about the trend I've seen in rural southern Minnesota. This has always reeked tones of conservative Iowans down near this area since we are relatively close to the border here, but I've seen more bent out of shape rural folks than ever before, all thanks to this projection bullshit from Trump. A real doozy of a US rep, Jim Hagedorn, also peddles more nonsense than I've ever seen a GOPer do around this area (and go figure, he's been exposed for campaign violations a-plenty, including a payoff to a local radio DJ who gaslit people for months before he was finally kicked off the air for accepting ALMOST A MILLION DOLLARS from the Hagedorn campaign), and I think to a degree it's been effective as the po-dunk living inside a bubble folks who havent nor will not have much interactions with other cultures have been convinced this state has gone full on enabling anarchy and the rule of blacks/muslims or something. Oh and Gov. Walz is Hitler apparently. As I drive through rural areas here, its Trump madness with the flags out and even lots of tractor equipment being dolled out on display in Trump shit. There also has certainly been an upsurge in your typical redneck big wheel loud muffler vehicles with Trump/Don't Tread on Me/Merica flags and merch. Both in town here and outside the area. Don't see it as much in the Twin Cities, but damn near everywhere else south of there.

So with that said, will rural Minnesota have an impact on the election? Hard to say but I'm not as confident as I should be on the outcome here. I will say one thing, the process of voting ahead of time here has been smooth as silk and there doesn't appear to be any forthcoming controversy in votes being manipulated, etc, here locally. But I am concerned that this state might get flipped.

Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing to remind yourself about rural America as far as the presidential election and statewide elections is that in most states...there are way less votes there than in the rest of the state. I can drive down a road in rural CA and see a Trump sign in front of almost every house. Let's say there's twenty houses on the road. That's most likely between 40-60 voters and the town is about 11,000 people. I can outdo that amount simply based on people a very short radius from where I live.

The disconnect between rural and urban/suburban America is wild. About 60,000,000 people live in what the government describes as a rural area. I think the vast majority of eligible voters in those areas go to vote. If urban and suburban turnout was similar that would be the end of rural America dictating their ways over almost all of the rest of the country.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After his opponent spoke bluntly of his insider trading while publicly downplaying covid, Sen Purdue has quit the final debate in GA like a bitch.

Staff member
Reaction score
After his opponent spoke bluntly of his insider trading while publicly downplaying covid, Sen Purdue has quit the final debate in GA like a bitch.

You don't do that when you think you're gonna win. Not sure Ossoff can get to 50% to avoid the runoff though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes, both GA races have the runoff caveat. Hopefully Ossoff gets the 50+.