Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

New trailer dropped that shows a bit more about what is going on. The big thing here is ABMONIATION CAGE FIIIIIIIGHT!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
"Deadline reports that Shang-Chi is expected to make between $45 million-$50 million in the US and Canada over the long weekend at 4,200-plus theaters. This would set a new record for Labor Day weekend--and not just during the pandemic but of all time--easily eclipsing the previous record-holder, 2007's Halloween ($30.6 million)."

Not that big a number as I was expecting but will be interesting to see considering Candyman made $22 Million domestically last weekend.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Labor Day Weekend is traditionally one of the slowest movie going weekends of the year with school starting and opening weekend of college football.

I've long given up being even the most casual comic book movie guy but this is the first MCU movie I kind of want to see since Black Panther

Dandy

Reaction score
Guys, it is projected to be 1.5 times the fucking record for the opening day of the weekend. I don’t care what your think about that particular weekend, that plays.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just came back from seeing it. It's a lot of fun and the typical Marvel introduction film. Better than Ant Man but not as good as Black Panther. Typical marvel issues
having a terrible villain
but I kind of expect it at this point. They did leave it off where I want to see what happens with these character in the future, specifically
Xia Ling taking over as the new Mandarin and head of the Ten Rings.

The crowd I was with wasn't the best, but they got a bunch of laughs out of Awkafinna and
Ben Kingsley.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Had a good time with it. Although I thought the lead actor was a little unremarkable. Great fight scenes. Kinda gets to the action pretty quickly.

Mid credits scene seems like it’ll tie into The Eternals.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FINALLY saw this. I really enjoyed it. It's not an essential movie or anything but I thought most of the humor hit and the action was good. I actually thought the motivation of the villain was a lot better and more understandable than the typical Marvel (or DC) Big Bad. Awkwafina was the clear standout. Also give me more Wong.

Dandy

Reaction score
I watched this Saturday night and it was great visually with great fight scenes. It was also lighthearted and had some good laughs. Nothing epic but a good movie to watch.

There was a lot of tying in to former MCU movies, which could be viewed as forced or more natural and necessary. I am probably in the middle and didn’t find it distracting.

I was also expecting
Fin Fang Foom
toward the end.

The mid and post credits scenes were fine and nothing Earth shattering.

Overall worth a view, definitely for MCU fans.

Dandy

Reaction score
Also, I need canceled because I had been calling it “SHANG-Chee” as it appears and not “Shong-CHEE” as it is actually pronounced. I guess I watched zero promotional items for this and just read everything.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched this Saturday night and it was great visually with great fight scenes. It was also lighthearted and had some good laughs. Nothing epic but a good movie to watch.

There was a lot of tying in to former MCU movies, which could be viewed as forced or more natural and necessary. I am probably in the middle and didn’t find it distracting.

I was also expecting
Fin Fang Foom
toward the end.

The mid and post credits scenes were fine and nothing Earth shattering.

Overall worth a view, definitely for MCU fans.
Pretty much my thoughts when I watched it last night on Disney+. It did tend to start feeling a little long once they got to do the whole pre-war setup (I feel like this could've been condensed a fair bit to keep the pace tighter) as the first half had great pacing, especially with its fight scenes.

The mid & post-credits scenes were whatever. The mid-credits scene in particular is the kind of scene that isn't really necessary and doesn't really do much, IMO but is put in the credits because Marvel films have to do it now and "tie in" to other universes.
Wong tells them "welcome to the team" and Captain Marvel/Bruce are all "Whoa... these rings are older than you think but we don't know what they are. Byeeeee!"

It's the kind of scene that would've been a Blu-Ray "deleted scene" thrown in as an extra to sell it.

With all that said, fun movie that I can see myself randomly throwing on as background when it inevitably starts airing on TNT or TBS.