Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

SID THREAD

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DO YOU THINK EVERY TIME RIGHT BEFORE SID POOPS HE SAYS, *SNIFF SNIFF* "I SMELL A POWERBOMB!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
10850047_10152935938246692_6910872374947604383_n.jpg

SETH ROGAN & JAMES FRANCO SHOULD HAVE CALLED SID AND THEN MAYBE WE WOULD ALL BE ABLE TO GO SEE THE INTERVIEW ON CHRISTMAS DAY BUT INSTEAD WE HAVE TO GO SEE THE HIP HOP "ANNIE" REMAKE WITH OUR MOMS!

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
SETH ROGAN & JAMES FRANCO SHOULD HAVE CALLED SID AND THEN MAYBE WE WOULD ALL BE ABLE TO GO SEE THE INTERVIEW ON CHRISTMAS DAY
Has poor Sid ever been in a good movie? Ready 2 Rumble, River of Darkness, Death from Above, the infamous Beach Blast mini-movie... all crap.

BUT INSTEAD WE HAVE TO GO SEE THE HIP HOP "ANNIE" REMAKE WITH OUR MOMS!
Not in a world where Into the Woods is coming out on Christmas, we fuckin' don't. Ironically, this movie stars the girl who played Annie in a recent Broadway revival... but Stephen Sondheim's musicals are much less about chirpy kids singing and much more about fucking and killing. So instead of singing about hard-knock lives, the cutesy little girl spends more time fending off Johnny Depp as a pedophile werewolf who gleefully chortles about his desire to eat her alive. Also, Tracey Ullman gets clubbed to death while the Full Metal Bitch from Edge of Tomorrow has a one-night stand with Captain Kirk from the new Star Trek movies and Meryl Streep runs around shooting people in the crotch with magic lightning, and how can you not buy a ticket for all that?

But back to SID, one of the guys over at Death Valley Driver wrote up a really nice description of just why we love the big goof so much, as opposed to similarly-sized dudes like Kane or Nash who don't inspire anywhere near the same level of marking out.

SID

The man who rules the world.

Look, you get someone like the Honky Tonk Man who took one bad bump off of a backdrop in 1978 and decided he was never going to go up for anyone ever again. You get someone like Nash who has a bum knee from the get go and isn't going to push it without a damn good reason. You get someone like Disco Inferno who actually loves a lot of different styles of wrestling but realizes that he looks like a moron when he tries to utilize them.

And then you get SID. Sid is someone who is from an alternate reality where wrestling is just slightly different. It's just slightly skewed. At no point in his entire career did Sid think he was doing the wrong thing in the ring. He didn't second guess himself. He didn't have doubts. So much as he didn't have to sell too much for a little guy, everything was perfect. He went out there. He did his thing. He thought that the match was great and he left. Earnest, honest, and it shows in his movements. I don't know if he's from a world where the gravity was a little different, or maybe a world where the rings were made out of stay puft marshmallow, or a word where EVERY match was against a bear. On Sid's world, though? Five Star Matches every time out. He's not one of those guys who you don't believe in the ring. He's not pretending to be a pro wrestler. He is the most unnatural natural person in the history of wrestling.

For our hobby, he is a fucking national treasure. It's hard to get bored watching a Sid match. Bewildered. Confused. Horrified. But not bored.

He's a mad genius and someday I hope that we develop the skill to come to understand him and the cornucopia of work that he left us.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
King Kamala said:

This is in the top ten of best things ive ever seen on the internet.

id even say it was the best, but in an attempt to restrain my natural instinct ima go conservative and just say video and arcade top 10.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I've been watching some older Sid stuff recently, and it's crazy to me how over he was:

http://youtu.be/VGZRhxoAk6Y

The crowd pops for him louder than they do for the other two when he confronts them. They went insane when he eliminated Hogan from the Rumble that year too.

http://youtu.be/Tk30kr6UXmg

This could go in the "Matches you didn't know existed thread". Just watch the beginning, and how the crowd stands up. His reaction and spins down the aisle are priceless too. The match is good for what it is, and the end is great booking. McMahon's commentary is GOAT as usual.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
..and he gave it all up for softball season.

Also, I'm just realizing now that Zeb is probably wearing the same outfit now as he did back then.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Okay, so here's my theory on Sid: He has these terrible matches on purpose. Since it's not humanly possible for one person to be that useless, I figure that it must be deliberate, and maybe even some sort of sick artform in Sid's mind. Some have Dadaism, we get Sidism. He's painting a picture with his terrible wrestling, giving a profound and painful lecture on the current state of wrestling, whereby he's saying "Any promotion that would push ME is severely messed up". It's sad and beautiful at the same time that someone would suffer for their art so, indeed martyring themselves for the cause of bring awareness to the essential suckiness that surrounds him. It's a cry for help, you see. Every time he puts on his idiotic rear chinlock, he's crying "Stop me before I suck again!" and yet he continues to be pushed. I think the current rambling interviews are just a further sign of his current surrealistic art being taken to yet another, even sicker level. Have you ever heard the shoot interview he did with Rob Feinstein where he basically claimed that his run as WWF champion did houses 5 times larger than Shawn Michaels' run? I can't touch that kind of delusional genius. Picasso was a hack -- SID is truly the greatest artist of our generation. (I think that much like the great tragedies that have befallen mankind, we search for meaning in the chaos, some sort of greater purpose to justify the pain we must suffer through. Hence, Sid fans.)

Scooter Keith explains SID during his Halloween Havoc 93 rant.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My girlfriend is big into Big Brother and got me watching it. With the CBS All Access app on Roku, we have been able to go back and watch older seasons. So we are trucking along through Season 14, which took place in 2012 when one of the contestants mentions that his father is a famous wrestler from the 90s. And who could it be?

tumblr_m86lphrTOr1rqoq0po1_500.jpg

Frank (who won America's Favorite) is the son of Psycho Sid.

frankmemphis.jpeg

big-brother-16.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
13912888_10154442012096692_465407932626670106_n.jpg

Some people might say this meme misspelled "invalid" BUT WHEN YOU'RE FUCKIN' SYCHO SID PLAYING TUG O WAR WITH AN ELEPHANT, YOU CAN SPELL IN VALID ANY WAY YOU DAMN PLEASE!!!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also only good thing about Will Ospreay's feud with Vader is it's given me hope that SID will be involved in a prominent pro wrestling storyline in 2016!

BreakingMad

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sid should slag off Will Ospreay to get a free holiday to the UK and go over ;D

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/sid-vicious-trump-travel-ban/
SID CANCELED AN INDY APPEARANCE TONIGHT AND BLAMED IT ON TRUMP'S TRAVEL BAN!

I WANT TO SEE SID POWERBOMB THAT FAT ORANGE FACED OAF DONALD TRUMP! TWEET THIS, JACKASS!!!!

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
EVER NOTICE HOW YOU NEVER SEE SYCHO SID AT WRESTLEMANIA 4 OR 5 AT THE SAME TIME!?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9gJxrzxYkI

AIW had EC3 dress up as SID and he signed all of SID's 8x10s that were sent as "I'm Not SID" so ALL IS WELL THAT ENDS WELL!

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SOMEDAY I WILL WRITE A COLUMN ABOUT SID VICIOUS, THE MASTER & THE RULER OF THE WORLD AND Sid Vicious, the dead Sex Pistols bassist AND I WILL WRITE ABOUT THE MASTER & THE RULER OF THE WORLD IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE SID RULES THE WORLD AND HE WOULD WANT IT THAT WAY! Sid Vicious will be written about in normal fashion to differentiate between the two AND THE COLUMN WILL BE TITLED A TALE OF TWO SIDS! THIS COLUMN WILL COMPARE THEM TO ONE ANOTHER, BUT WILL ULTIMATELY POINT OUT THAT SID VICIOUS IS BETTER THAN Sid Vicious IN EVERY WAY BECAUSE SID VICIOUS IS STILL ALIVE AND THE MASTER & THE RULER OF THE WORLD AND Sid Vicious died of a heroin overdose in 1979 and in what way does that rule anything at all? THIS WILL BE THE GREATEST COLUMN WRITTEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2:40 in, still one of my favourite Sid moments - "I DON'T KNOW SHIT, CRYBABY!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I was listening to Sycho Sid's theme the other day and it made me think about how underrated he was in 96-97. Sid helped the WWF a lot because of his star power.