Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Six Dr. Seuss Books Permenantly Discontinued

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

Looks like the Seuss estate made the right call and ceased publication of six books that featured pretty racist imagery.

Out of curiosity, I looked to see if stores pulled these. They are sold out everywhere I looked that sells books and people are pricing them on the after-market for thousands.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm always a little unsure of how to react to this stuff. These are books for children, so the Looney Tunes DVD set style warnings don't really work here. But I don't know what's best.

Interestingly enough, a mural at the Seuss museum used to included the racially-insensitive original artwork from "And to Think That I saw It on Mulberry Street." It's a yellow-skinned person with a long pony-tail wearing Qing dynasty official dress and holding a bowl with chopsticks with the caption "A Chinaman who eats with sticks." After people complained, they changed the skin color to white, removed the pony tail, and changed it to "Chinese man."

I was curious, so I looked up what the Chinese translation of the book had and it was the same as the updated mural. Not sure which one came first.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
*Remembers when parents had to actually sit children down and explain shit to them*

On one hand, I get not wanting to expose kids to such imagery but I feel like this kind of (self) censorship is overstepping bounds. As a librarian/parent, you do have the option of just not having that book in your library or home.

"And Laura Ingalls Wilder’s portrayals of Native Americans in her “Little House On the Prairie” novels have been faulted so often that the American Library Association removed her name in 2018 from a lifetime achievement award it gives out each year."

This actually irked me more just because those series of novels really got me introduced to enjoying Historical Fiction and later Jack London's books, etc.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I do think there is some difference in text versus imagery, especially when looking at an audience. This is an instance of a formative children’s book versus a novel. I know there was a bunch of different stuff I read or saw as a child that is problematic under a 2021 lense. And you can’t count on people to talk to their kids because look at the outrage from taking the gender off the product label on the Potato Head line. Despite the product themselves still getting assigned gender roles.

I agree there is a slippery slope when it comes to censorship. The solution may be removing or reimagining the problematic pictures of Asians or black people that serve zero purpose and can only hurt children’s self-image.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Am I the only person here who doesn't recognize any of the canceled books? I had a ton of Seuss books as a kid, too.

Reactions: SFH

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Am I the only person here who doesn't recognize any of the canceled books? I had a ton of Seuss books as a kid, too.
I only recognized If I Ran the Zoo and Mulbury Street out of the ones named and I do remember reading a ton of them as a kid.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
McElligot's Pool was the first book I read as a youngster and I think it's in my classroom. I like 909, will be selling it to angry racists in the future.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also didn't recognize the works cited, I support the decision regardless. I didn't really have an expansive Dr. Seuss library growing up outside of 4 or so books. My "library" was whatever hand me downs I got from a few older cousins.

I think in the context of academia for a certain age that I'm not qualified to select, books and short stories with offensive material should remain. The onus is on the educator to present the work with the heads up, "Look, the words you're going to encounter are NOT okay..." basically the university version of "reflective of a different time." But I am saying this from a place of never been discriminated against, never had to suffer the attacks behind some of those words, I could be way off base on this stance. My only single discussion with a non-Caucasian friend about those works was when a Black colleague was going over English notes with me after she read "A Good Man is Hard To Find" by Flannery O'Connor and she was taken aback by the character of the Grandma using the big no no word in an in story anecdote. She shared with me that while she hated seeing the word, she knew it was unavoidable that she'd run into it from time to time in college, she wished the professor would have at least gave a heads up. I can't sit here and say this one single conversation should dictate procedure for all of literary history. But that relationship, our friendship and working relationship, helped shape me and my appreciation for the experiences of others that I never had to face myself when I was still at an immature point in my life.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Looks like another kids book being pulled for similar reasons. Only this one is not that old. The author of Captain Underpants wrote this book in 2010. It is now being pulled for passive racism. The article I linked didn‘t have many details but it sounds like it is the depiction of Asian characters in the book