Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Smues Plays 960 Arcade Games

The Dames

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First thing I played when I opened this thing. MOTHER FUCKING. SNOW. BROTHERS. I fucking adore this thing.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
78. Game #98 - Jackie Chan 2(Fists of Fire),1995
1186596-picture_2.png

Have I heard of the game before?
No.

Have I played the game before?
No.

What is it?
A mid 90s motion capture fighting game that isn't Mortal Kombat.

How much did I play?
Half a dozen matches.

Thoughts?
Oh man now this is what I'm talking about. 1990s motion capture games that aren't Mortal Kombat are almost always hilariously bad, and this is no exception. The graphics for these things looked stupid in the 90s and they look really dumb now. Bad controls, bad hit detection, blood on every hit (depending on the character, it's a stupid explosion type effect for some), it's all here! To be fair the controls aren't awful, as at least I could make my guy do what I wanted most of the time, which isn't the case in a lot of these.

There are nine selectable characters, and three of them are Jackie Chan. I'm not kidding. It's Jackie Chan just in a different colored outfit. There's also a guy in a Dragon suit you'd see at a Chinese New Year celebration named 'Mysterious Lion'. You beat Mysterious Lion and there's blood gushing up as he's on the ground. You beat Jackie Chan and he just kneels down, gives a thumbs up, and says 'getting better!' Fuck you Jackie, you should bleed like the lion, who is obviously a guy in a suit. I don't really get why the lion suit guy makes blood but others don't. Anyway, I managed to win 5 matches with Mysterious Lion by literally doing nothing but jumping forward and hitting strong punch. Go me. Oh and there's a super meter and when it was full and I mashed the right buttons Mysterious Lion turned into a smaller version of himself who...couldn't really do anything? O....k....

maxresdefault.jpg

Also also, this is a sequel and there's another one of these on the machine. Can't wait!

Any Engrish? Or any memorable quotes?
I'm Jackie Chan this is my game!

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
79. Game #176 - Blood Storm, 1994
maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, because of the imagine above and the idea it was going to be better than Mortal Kombat.

No.

What is it?
Another Mortal Kombat inspired fighting game from the 1990s, but not a motion capture one.

How much did I play?
Half a dozen matches or so.

Thoughts?
LOL JOHNNY CAGE. Beyond that, the game sucks but it's not that awful. It feels like it might have some depth with collecting arms as you win, but I'm not confident about that. Man though does it try to be edgy though. There's blood everywhere and you can knock limbs off and for some reason even do fatalities after the first round. Then your opponent is still alive for round 2. It's stupid. But hey BLOOD MURDER BLOOD BUY MY GAME!

Also, LOL JOHNNY CAGE.

No.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Fun fact: That ad was the reason Johnny Cage wasn't in MK3. Midway fired Daniel Pesina for his involvement in the game.

The Dames

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
Fun fact: That ad was the reason Johnny Cage wasn't in MK3. Midway fired Daniel Pesina for his involvement in the game.

Funny enough, this post made me google Daniel Pesina and an article featuring an interview with him came up. He said that he was fired due to suing Midway, Nintendo & Sega over likeness rights. Once he lost in court, he did this ad for BloodStorm, but outright stated he was already gone from the company when he did the photo shoot.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
The Dames said:
Thrasher said:

Funny enough, this post made me google Daniel Pesina and an article featuring an interview with him came up. He said that he was fired due to suing Midway, Nintendo & Sega over likeness rights. Once he lost in court, he did this ad for BloodStorm, but outright stated he was already gone from the company when he did the photo shoot.

To add to that Kitana, Sonya Blade, and Shang Tsung sued Midway over royalties for MK2 and lost. Those characters were portrayed by different actors in MK3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Mortal_Kombat#Philip_Ahn,_Elizabeth_Malecki,_and_Katalin_Zamiar_v._Midway_Manufacturing,_et_al.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
FINALLY got my arcade reconnected after I tried and failed to set it up with the Pi. Not likely ever going to try that again because re-wiring it is a bitch. I still need to re-wire player 2, but I got all the buttons for player 1 hooked up so I'll be playing through the list some more now.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
80. Game #71 - Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of the Vampire,1997
hqdefault.jpg

No, but I recognized several of the characters from other Capcom games.

No.

What is it?
A one on one fighter from Capcom. There's vampires and shit. I don't know what the story is because it's in Japanese.

How much did I play?
A dozen or so matches. I even beat the boss!

Thoughts?
This was a very pleasant surprise. I'm not a huge fighting game fan, mostly because I suck at them, but this was surprisingly easy to pickup because it's a Capcom game. If you can play Street Fighter you can play this, but it has some key differences that kept it fresh. Instead of your usual best 2 out of 3, you each get two health bars and combat just stops for a brief second when one is depleted. No mid-round break where the other player heals, just get the fuck back up and go. A bit of health will also heal over time, a mechanic I've seen in tag games but not solo fighters. The health gages also deplete right to left instead of left to right so that was fucking trippy.

I enjoyed this, might even play it again. And JESUS CHRIST the boobs on Morrigan. Put a bra on girl, those are really gonna hinder your fighting ability. I've seen her in Puzzle Fighter and Project X Zone and always wondered what game she came from, so now I know.

No because it's in Japanese.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That's actually a version of Darkstalkers 3, alongside Vampire Hunter 2.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded to a Pandora's Box 6 for the capability to add my own games, but thus far that part has been a letdown. Of the games I've tried only Golden Par Golf, which was on the 5 but for some reason not the 6, and Ironman Stewart's Off-Road Challenge have played well. For some reason Spider-Man runs at about 5 frames per second, which is weird given how old that game is, and most games I've tried just flat didn't run. Oh well. The 6 has more games then the 5 though so there is that. My plan is to keep playing through the 5's game list through since that's what I started with and I want to live up to this threads title.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
81. Game #332 - Street Fighter Chamption Edition Set 2,1991/1992
Street_Fighter_II_Plus_-_Champion_Edition.png

Not 'Set 2', but yes.

Not 'Set 2', but yes, many times.

What is it?
Presumably a rom hack of Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition. Projectiles are homing and move at all sorts of speeds, some moves can be done in the air, and E. Honda can random turn into Guile mid-match. It's weird.

How much did I play?
A couple of fights. Eat my ass E. Honda.

Thoughts?
I don't like these rom hacks of Street Fighter 2. Adding something like mid-air moves would be neat. Having E.Honda throw out three homing fireballs when he does his hundred-hand slap is not so neat. I managed to win one round, over Guile but he started the round as E. Honda. Because that makes sense. Just give me Vanilla Champion edition and I'm happy.

No.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
82. Game #138 - Strider,1989
strider_arcade_game.jpg

Yes. I'm not sure from what, probably Gamepro magazine.

Possibly but I'm really not sure.

What is it?
A hack'n slash platformer. You're a ninja of some kind and have a big ass sword. You can climb on walls and ledges and such.

How much did I play?
A couple of levels before I got stuck.

Thoughts?
I'm wondering if I played this is a kid and just don't remember it. Nothing came back to me when I played it, but when I hear the title I feel like I used to know the game really well. It's a weird feeling. I remember we read a book in fourth grade called Strider and I was hoping it was about the video game. Anyway, this seemed fun before I got stuck. It's obnoxious how enemies keep spawning from the left so you're constantly stopping to turn around and slash them, and you take a lot of cheap damage. Like an explosion that killed me when I had 1 hp left, but did 0 damage to me when my health was full? I do appreciate the large area of attack you get with your big ass sword and it makes for a lot of fun killing bad guys.
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS WOULD PLAY AGAIN.

Not that I saw but it's very possible, the dialog was going by pretty fast. The voice acting was pretty bad.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Pretty sure this was the only arcade cabinet in the entirety of the small town I grew up 10 miles from in the 80s. As such I have a great affinity for it.

More games should involve spraying a gorilla in the taint.
--
The Green Bay mall had an arcade, but the amount of times I would have went there is minimal. Only games I can recall were Wrestlefest, WWF Superstars and a shooting game that had an animatronic cowboy trying to beat you in a duel. I have to assume the Simpsons were there as well.

Literally went to Chuck E Cheese's once as a kid, so I have no memories of what was there. I do recall my cousin's and I singing the commercial jingle as we rolled into the parking lot.

I went to a birthday party in what must have been 90 or 91 (based on knowing my buddy got WCW Galoob action figures as a present) at a different pizza joint that also had a decent sized arcade. That was where we played X men with a pile of quarters sitting on the console to aid us in our quest. Alas, it came time to eat and my buddy's sister came and swept all our quarters into her hand, ending our adventure.
Green Bay also has a small amusement park. The eatery at the park had the classic TMNT arcade game there (I can't recall any other cabinets) and boy did it seem to be flocked with kids as we were at the height of Turtles-mania.

Rolling Thunder was randomly at a convention hall that we would go to once a year for the "Families of Children w/ Cancer" Xmas party.
That damn Alien menacingly laughing at me still haunts the deep recesses of my mind.

My final memory of arcade machines growing up in a negative one. As I've said too many times over the years, my Dad was a psycho. So some random Saturday the fighting must have been worse than usual and at some point he demanded Mama Brody go get changed so we could go out to a supper club. Ma refused because of his behavior all days long and the heated words continued until I ran over by her and begged her to go change "So he doesn't hurt you!". She eventually complied and we went off to eat.
While we were sitting at the table, she looked over at me and said to Pa "See what you are doing to him?" as I was probably still showing signs of crying or whatever. So Pa gave me some quarters and I went over and played Kung Fu.

Last edited: