Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

SNES Classic, out (of stock) September 29th

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I have NO faith they'll actually supply enough to keep up with demand, but sweet merciful fuck the lineup for the SNES classic, due out in September:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island

I already wish painful death upon whichever EBay seller so have to overpay to get one.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have so many of these, but knowing Nintendo this is my only way of playing Starfox 2, so I guess I have no choice.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
That's an amazing line up. There are a couple million Classics out there. So they're not that rare. I'm sure flippers just bought them up mostly. I was able to find one for me and one for my brother.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BorneAgain said:
I have so many of these, but knowing Nintendo this is my only way of playing Starfox 2, so I guess I have no choice.
Download the ROM?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
It really really needs Chrono Trigger but otherwise I love it. If a game had to be dropped to add it is drop the Kirby golf game.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
BorneAgain said:
Download the ROM?

I know the rom that's been around is an incomplete beta; I suppose I could wait to see if the one on this is copied and dumped.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's a good list of games, but...33% less games than the NES Classic and a 25% price increase?

Eeehhhhhhhh

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll stick with my $50CAD homemade solution. ;)

lt94yjW.png

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Serious question:

Was Star Fox really that big of a deal for people to be salivating over Star Fox 2 all these years later? I love retro gaming as much as the next guy but didn't really enjoy the original Star Fox games so I guess I'm in the minority of being underwhelmed by the entirety of this list.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Serious question:

Was Star Fox really that big of a deal for people to be salivating over Star Fox 2 all these years later? I love retro gaming as much as the next guy but didn't really enjoy the original Star Fox games so I guess I'm in the minority of being underwhelmed by the entirety of this list.

Beyond the allure on an unreleased game, in the last 15 years there's been one Starfox game (Assault) that wasn't a rerelease (64 3DS), Zelda clone (Adventures), or hampered by wacky controls (Command, Zero). At this points fans just want a competent on rail Starfox game they can play without much fuss.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I never liked the original Star Fox. The idea of playing an unreleased game is cool. But not a selling point for me.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Same. Could never get into Starfox and I'm all about space shooters.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
DK 2 was better than DK. It really should have been included. I feel like the DK series really defined the second era of SNES, after SMW defined the first.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
geniusMoment said:
DK 2 was better than DK. It really should have been included. I feel like the DK series really defined the second era of SNES, after SMW defined the first.

This would be my only complaint, if you even want to call it that, because DKC 1 was still great. The second just had more replay value with the collectables and secrets, and it was more challenging.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
Give me Star Fox 64 and I'll play the hell out of it.

This. Star Fox is just a poor game in general because it was stretching the limits of the SNES. Star Fox 64 is a brilliant game.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
That's a solid enough line of games, but they could have done so much more.

Nintendo has burned their consumers so much over the years. They're lucky nostalgia carries them as well as it does. I never once saw an NES Classic in a store, and was lucky enough to find one on Amazon.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I used brickseek.com to find my NES Classic. I was lucky that the Target by my house had a shipment. I had to walk up the Electronics counter in order to get it. I don't think they ever had them out on the sales floor.

I was thinking that Nintendo should have sold these for $100. It would have decreased demand.

Vigo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
I'll stick with my $50CAD homemade solution. ;)

lt94yjW.png

What is that? Like a homemade rom player?

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
My wife got me this for my birthday. It's pretty amazing. Some games didn't hold up at all (Starfox) but others are just as fun as ever. I haven't even touched any of the RPGs yet and that's what I'm looking forward to the most.

Mario Kart was the first thing I went for.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Mik said:
My wife got me this for my birthday. It's pretty amazing. Some games didn't hold up at all (Starfox) but others are just as fun as ever. I haven't even touched any of the RPGs yet and that's what I'm looking forward to the most.

Mario Kart was the first thing I went for.

Same with Mario Kart.

Sadly I don't think it holds up. Not being able to drift just threw me way off, and it doesn't look great on a modern HD TV. I will always have love for the game for what it was though