Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

SNL Season Finale

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Samberg wasn't really on this week and barely the last.
He could be getting busy with the MTV Movie Awards and other stuff.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watkins has only been on for like---half a season. Hasn't really done anything of note---good or bad. It's a bit early to be giving up on her just yet.

Samberg had a non-speaking role in the finale but yeah---he didn't do anything. There wasn't even a digital short. He didn't really do much on the last show outside of the Digital Short and the cameo in the Immigrants sketch.. Though considering that the former got the biggest reaction of the night and was another big viral hit, he didn't really need much else.

Semi off topic but am I the only who'd like to see another Andy Samberg/Lonely Island movie? Judging by the box office receipts of Hot Rod, I'd venture to say yes. He brings a similar quality to the show that Adam Sandler did in a sense. Neither of them are good at sketch comedy at all but they've brought something to the show that's so idiotically compelling and different from anything before (Sandler with his songs and manchild characters and Samberg with the Digital Shorts). Though I hate to make lofty comparisons at risk of sounding like I'm predicting that Andy Samberg will be a $20 million a movie guy in the near future and sounding like a doofus in ten years if it doesn't happen. Though if you're looking through ten year old posts to prove I'm an idiot in 2019, well, then who's the doofus there?

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've always heard that Jeff Richards was fired for sexual harassment towards a female writer.

I wasn't too surprised to see that this is Hammond's last season. He hasn't been used as much for the past 2-3 years. McCain was really all for him this past season. It will be weirder to hear the show without Don Pardo, who is supposedly leaving. Dude's like 95 years old and has worked on every episode....ever. I agree that they should just let Moynihan go. I like Watkins though, I really hope they keep her as she has a lot of impressions that we haven't seen.

As an aside, I saw a lot of other messageboards where people were nonstop complaining about this episode and the entire season as a whole. That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It's fucking SNL, what are you expecting? If you really are one of those snobs that has to say "It hasn't been funny since (insert name here) left" then why are you even watching? Ugh, I hate that shit. It's like the people who absolutely hated Tina Fey during her entire run on Weekend Update and now they're like fucking seals, applauding her return this past season as Palin. And what's worse is when people say "It hasn't been funny since 2000" or whatever other year, yet I remember going online or talking to people about it then and it was "It hasn't been funny since 1992" or whatever. It goes against the very nature of the show. It always changes. It's not meant to be the same show as 5 or 6 years ago. There are those who get that, who understand that they may only laugh at 2 or 3 sketches on one show and then 5 the next and then none the next. And then there are those who expect the ghost of John Belushi or Gilda Radner or Chris Farley to come out and fall through a fucking table. It doesn't work that way, folks. For every Mike Myers or Will Ferrell there is going to be a few Denny fucking Dillions and Jeff Richards.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's how SNL goes. Everyone hates the current cast, but then when they leave it's SNL stopped being funny when (x) left, or SNL is so bad right now. I just had an argument with my friend about that recently, and he was laughing watching SNL with me.

Everyone has the cast they grew up with, and when that cast turns over, the new cast inevitably sucks.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For my money, this was the best season since Ferrell left. A little inconsistent but the cast is one of the strongest they've had in years.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it has been really good this year too. I don't think there are any glaring holes in the cast. I suppose they could use another black guy. I don't have a problem with Keenan but it seems about 75% of the people I talk to do hate him, and I can understand their point. I'm young enough to remember All That so I stopped thinking he was annoying about a decade ago. But fact is, if they hired another black guy, we might get some funny Michelle Obama jokes. Everyone knows it's ok for Armisen to play Barack, but a fat black guy playing Michelle Obama? That's absurd!

I also like the fact that they have several women now, I'm not a big fan of men dressing as women on American comedy shows because the audience has to chirp and hoot in delight for at least 30 seconds. Unless it's a specific part of the joke (ie Ferrell as Janet Reno), I'd rather just see women playing the female roles. I have a feeling that one of the new girls may get chopped anyways, but I hope Casey Wilson stays...I think she's cute.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kind of cute? I've been in love with Casey since she debuted, even though everyone hates her.

I saw her last week in midtown, she was talking on the phone and seemed very upset. Poor Casey

D

Dr. Zaius

CookieMueller said:
As an aside, I saw a lot of other messageboards where people were nonstop complaining about this episode and the entire season as a whole. That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It's fucking SNL, what are you expecting? If you really are one of those snobs that has to say "It hasn't been funny since (insert name here) left" then why are you even watching? Ugh, I hate that shit. It's like the people who absolutely hated Tina Fey during her entire run on Weekend Update and now they're like fucking seals, applauding her return this past season as Palin. And what's worse is when people say "It hasn't been funny since 2000" or whatever other year, yet I remember going online or talking to people about it then and it was "It hasn't been funny since 1992" or whatever. It goes against the very nature of the show. It always changes. It's not meant to be the same show as 5 or 6 years ago. There are those who get that, who understand that they may only laugh at 2 or 3 sketches on one show and then 5 the next and then none the next. And then there are those who expect the ghost of John Belushi or Gilda Radner or Chris Farley to come out and fall through a fucking table. It doesn't work that way, folks. For every Mike Myers or Will Ferrell there is going to be a few Denny fucking Dillions and Jeff Richards.
This.

wnyxmcneal said:
That's how SNL goes. Everyone hates the current cast, but then when they leave it's SNL stopped being funny when (x) left, or SNL is so bad right now. I just had an argument with my friend about that recently, and he was laughing watching SNL with me.

Everyone has the cast they grew up with, and when that cast turns over, the new cast inevitably sucks.
And this.