Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

So...Young Rock?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

NBC sitcom about the Rock's formative years debuts 2/16. Doesn't look too bad, honestly. I look forward to the wrestling aspects. What do you think?

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Nahnatchka Khan's other two sitcoms (Dont' Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 and Fresh Off the Boat) were both good. Her Netflix movie (Always Be My Maybe) wasn't bad either. I'll be checking this out.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not gonna watch it, but it does sound better than the Ace Ventura Jr. type project I was expecting when I clicked.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey @Hoff over here.

This looks like dumb fun. I'll tune in when it becomes available on Peacock. Also Idk if Kenan is going to be good enough to warrant a thread tbh, @Winter Epicland. We could probably just post about it in the SNL thread unless/until it gets a Season 2.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Can't even tell you how happy I am to see Kenan mentioned in the Young Rock thread.

I'm not clear from previews (and can't be arsed to look up) what the format is; it looks like Rock himself is introing either each episode or maybe cutting in with commentary on certain clips. But that wrinkle in the format could keep it lively. The previews scenes had me laughing; I am cautiously optimistic. The other thing is, Rock is a ratings draw, so the show will likely have some leeway - more than Kenan, I assume.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Clips of Kenan give me real The Tracy Morgan Show vibes. Fact that he isn't even leaving SNL to do it kind of indicates that no one really has any faith in it. He doesn't want to leave then come back awkwardly to do cameos in every other episode like Tracy in '03/'04 (or Jon Lovitz after Mom and Dad Save the World bombed)

Incidentally, a Mom and Dad Save The World TV series would be great in this block but that ship has sailed.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Hey @Hoff over here.

This looks like dumb fun. I'll tune in when it becomes available on Peacock. Also Idk if Kenan is going to be good enough to warrant a thread tbh, @Winter Epicland. We could probably just post about it in the SNL thread unless/until it gets a Season 2.
God knows we don’t know have enough other threads that are people talking to themselves already. But it is probably better to wait for success on making a thread for a corny sitcom and clutter other threads and better to put up the appereance we are cooler than we are by pretending to not watch something while still watching it and approaching being middle aged.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I have no intention of watching Kenan, but I root for Kenan Thompson to succeed, so I'll record it, so that it gets the DVR numbers.

I am undecided on Young Rock.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I have no intention of watching Kenan, but I root for Kenan Thompson to succeed, so I'll record it, so that it gets the DVR numbers.

I am undecided on Young Rock.
tenor.gif

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I didn't say that I wasn't a fan of Kenan Thompson: I said that I don't intend to watch his sitcom. But, I DVR a whole bunch of shows that I don't even watch because, as the great American philosopher Issa Rae once said, I'm rooting for everybody Black.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Clips of Kenan give me real The Tracy Morgan Show vibes. Fact that he isn't even leaving SNL to do it kind of indicates that no one really has any faith in it. He doesn't want to leave then come back awkwardly to do cameos in every other episode like Tracy in '03/'04 (or Jon Lovitz after Mom and Dad Save the World bombed)

Incidentally, a Mom and Dad Save The World TV series would be great in this block but that ship has sailed.
I feel like a Kenan led sitcom called Kenan has been in development or rumored to be happening since like 2013 or 14. That can't be a good sign. I've always liked Kenan Thompson so I'm rooting for him, but gonna pass on that and probably pass on Young Rock as well tbh since I'm already tired of the commercials for it with young Rock cutely asking for alcohol appearing before every Youtube video I watch.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I didn't know that. My interest is higher. If it was Young Randall, I'd definitely watch.
From what I saw, Randall Park is playing himself in the future, if that helps. I guess along with the past Rock portrayals, the Rock makes appearances as Future Rock where he is running for President. Park was cast as a journalist covering this and thought it would be funny to make his character him in the future too. Since Future Rock leaves acting for politics, he thought Future Randall should leave acting for journalism. Since he is tight with Nahnatchhka Khan, he pitched it and she agreed it would funny.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Wife and I are watching both Young Rock and Kenan after work tomorrow, I'm excited. We're also finally watching fucking Takeover, so I can go into that thread at long last. Getting her into wrestling was the best and worst decision I ever made.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of those numbers for Kenan: on the one hand, it looks like it lost 20 percent of its lead-in but, on the other hand, it won its timeslot, so... ?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Reading about the references to other wrestlers, I’ll definitely find time to watch this.

Spoilers for the first three eps.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Damn, I thought Kenan was great. Wife did too. Not everything landed, but a lot of the jokes had us rolling. I also did not know Chris Redd was also going to be on the show, and I like him a ton too.

For Young Rock, I enjoyed the stories being told, but I didn't laugh as much; I'll definitely keep watching it, I think it's fascinating. But, despite being a fan of both guys, the Rock/Randall Park stuff isn't landing for me at all, and I wish the format was just Rock telling stories and not this fictional future presidential run (and I definitely think this is also Rock testing to see if those waters are warm, which I don't begrudge, but).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The buying a cheap vehicle with a crackhead in it was a true story. Harvey Whippleman was the guy who hooked Rock up with it. I guess the guy didn't die IRL (or Rock left that out of the video he did with Harvey this past Xmas.) I believe Rocky Johnson was doing the Memphis loop in 87 and the family was living there. Soulman was making dates in Puerto Rico too based on videos I've seen from that era.

The Hawaii roster triggered my inner wrestling nerd as the show understandably went with known national stars to ease the casual fans into the story. Only the Bix and Brody mouthbreathing losers of the world watched this and said "BUT Lars Anderson!" Afa and Sika's actors were beautifully cast as was the Rock's mama. Soulman looked like he was in an SNL skit based on the Jeffersons or something.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some Rock Grandma stories could be fun: (From my notes, stolen from Wrestling Classics likely)

NBC Arena (350) Honolulu

1) Mike Graham defeated Brett Sawyer

2) Johnny Ace & Terminator defeated the Nasty Boys

3) Crusher Blackwell won a battle royal

4) Scotty the Body defeated Mark Starr

5) The Great Kabuki defeated Steve Keirn

6) Dory & Terry Funk battled Dick Slater & Danny Spivey to a double disqualification

7) Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen defeated Michael Hayes & Tommy Rich

This was an independent card promoted by Dunbar Wakayama, a Hawaii based radio DJ, TV host, and voiceover announcer. He had previously been the Polynesian Pacific promotion's TV announcer. He set up a short Hawaii tour that hit other towns using these fly ins. I'm not sure if he had TV with which to promote the cards, be it the Florida show with localized interviews or clips of the wrestlers from various sources with him hosting from a studio to hype the shows.

Wakayama claimed Lia Maivia, Lars Anderson, and Ati So'o tried to shake him down by demanding he buy ad time on their TV show, rent their wrestling ring, use some of their wrestlers, and pay them a cut of the gate receipts. Wakayama stated he was threatened with violence if he didn't comply and taped a conversation with the parties that was given to the FBI which then made arrests on charges of conspiracy and extortion. In the end, I believe the defendants were either cleared or the case was dismissed in either scenario on the basis of a lack of evidence.

--
– Down in Hawaii, a story I hadn’t heard before as Lia Maivia (Rock’s grandmother) and Lars Anderson are arrested and held without bail on charges of extortion, for threatening a rival promoter with violence unless he paid them $5000 and included two of their wrestlers on his show. This is why wrestling is regarded as such a scummy business. Lia Maivia and Lars Anderson were released on $20,000 bail and ordered to surrender their passports, pending their trial for extortion against a rival promoter.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I actually quite liked the pilot for Young Rock and will continue watching. Kenan on the other hand...not so much.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I am not someone who ever really gets "tired" of conventional TV shows, so I'll watch a classic sitcom, as long as I find either the premise and/or the lead actor engaging. In this case, I like Kenan, and the premise of the widowed parent isn't overdone, IMO (or, if it is, I haven't watched enough widowed parent shows for it to be overdone, to me), so I'll probably keep watching. The only thing that took me out was him telling his kids about how he and their mom got together: if they were supposed to have been, like, even 6-8 years apart, I could have bought it. For them to only be three years apart broke my suspension of disbelief.