Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Something's wrong with Ric Flair

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ric Flair isn't a great example because like YPOV said he acted on it by donating to people like Helms but I agree with Snuffy that there is a huge difference between people who have racist beliefs privately and those who act on them, especially violently.

Basically everyone from previous generations is going to be considered a racist because the standard we have now is totally different. Eventually we'll be considered to have had backwards views on race too. I also would say that everyone (almost everyone before some wise guy chimes in) has had racist thoughts in the past. That doesn't make everyone like those neo-nazi fucks.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call Flair racist. I've heard plenty of local stories that paint him as anything but.

Staff member
Reaction score
pujoljunkie said:

I now see why so many people left this board, because we are incapable of having a discussion about anything these days without politics immediately being put in the equation. Massive false equivalencies there to the point at which I can't even begin to address them properly, but I will try. The guy is dying and watching him was an important part of the weekly life of most people here. This guy is also an icon to many people of color, has been taken into many (predominantly black) sports teams locker rooms to give speeches, and gladly associates with people of color. It's not like he has to do any of those things, he does so because he wants to. I could post a shitload of links of Ric Flair in recent years proudly associating with people who the kinds at that rally want to see wiped off the Earth. It's one of the most stupid things I've seen on this board to see that kind of false equivalency.

I think you might wanna consider that kind of stuff before associating a dying man (and he is going to die very soon, unfortunately) with people who proudly wear Stormfront attire and sport Nazi flags, while talking about killing jews and saying that the white race has been polluted by people who should be sent back to Africa or killed off completely.

That he donated to Jesse Helms is a big problem, but I seem to remember ypov and I talking about how liberals really do need to accept the idea that people change their minds over time, or that people can truly be rehabilitated. When it comes to racism it seems like a lot of liberals are incapable of extending the same ideals of rehabilitation to racists as they do to people who kill each other over drugs. I don't get it.

Also, it seems like he killed himself through years of alcohol abuse, which is one of the worst ways to go out. I suppose you can say "at least he lived this long," but Ric Flair seems like somebody who had more to give to the world.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
This thread is getting a bit of topic. I would like to say I can't think of that many wrestlers in the '80's who weren't racist.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
Ric Flair isn't a great example because like YPOV said he acted on it by donating to people like Helms but I agree with Snuffy that there is a huge difference between people who have racist beliefs privately and those who act on them, especially violently.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this board and I'm kind of shocked that it's coming from you CWM. Those same people who "have racist beliefs privately" are the ones who are acting on them now, in "today's climate" - and whether that's via violence or not, it doesn't matter one iota. A racist is a racist. Fuck them all. Zero tolerance for that bullshit.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/16/ric-flairs-fiancee-medical-update-multiple-organ-problems/

This ain't good.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
cobainwasmurdered said:
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this board and I'm kind of shocked that it's coming from you CWM. Those same people who "have racist beliefs privately" are the ones who are acting on them now, in "today's climate" - and whether that's via violence or not, it doesn't matter one iota. A racist is a racist. Fuck them all. Zero tolerance for that bullshit.

You should read the board more if that's one of the most ridiculous things you've read. We've had people fuck weight benches bro.

I put it poorly, yes I agree a racist is a racist. i think everyone has had racist thoughts and that if someone does really repent and change that they should be forgiven but until/unless that happens they're fucking scum.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I didn't think this community was so sentimental with death. Ric Flair is dying. Let's reflect on who he was: the greatest professional wrestler of all time, and a huge piece of shit. Why is this controversial?

EDIT: lol "triggered," are you referring to me or the half a dozen people who shat their pants when I mentioned that their childhood hero is a fucking prick?

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never loved Hogan like that, so no. I won't have any feelings.

pujoljunkie said:
I didn't think this community was so sentimental with death. Ric Flair is dying. Let's reflect on who he was: the greatest professional wrestler of all time, and a huge piece of shit. Why is this controversial?

EDIT: lol "triggered," are you referring to me or the half a dozen people who shat their pants when I mentioned that their childhood hero is a fucking prick?

I think you'll find in life that almost everyone is a piece of shit, but it will never stop people from going to their funeral or being sad when they die.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I'm not saying you can't be sad (or at least I haven't intended to) but I am saying that being anti-racist means condemning racism even when it's unpleasant and inconvenient.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
[quote author= link=topic=12939.msg945602#msg945602 date=1502938947]
Everyone is racist to some degree, tbh
[/quote]

which is what people always say when defending a racist.

Reaction score
I'm not defending Flair. He's prob racist. But there's levels. There's a difference between Flair and dudes marching chanting blood and soil. Why is everything so black and white

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
It's not, but just your comments illustrate the problem. My greater point was that people use stuff like that to detract from the initial racism. Only when I made my comment did you say he was prob racist. Your initial post didn't say anything, it was making an excuse for him that 'everyone's racist'.

Even then, 'there's levels', his wasn't that high

'there's a difference between', so he's not that bad

'everyone's racist', so he's just like everyone else.

All this stuff does is minimize the effects of what he did. Those dudes marching chanting blood and soil, they didn't lynch anyone so they're not that bad right? When do we stop?

The guy called black people the n-word on the regular and supported a guy publicly and with his wallet that had real political power and used it to disenfranchise black people. I'd argue the effects of that are worse than marching on the streets.

Staff member
Reaction score
And if he's not racist now (as events would indicate), I believe in people being reformed. So I'm gonna forgive and move on from it.

Reaction score
It was a goddamn joke.

I'm not going nuts over freaking Ric Flair when we have white nationalists marching in cities.

We can't tell the difference between people marching for that and lynching? Both are bad, but one isn't worse than the other? I think one deserves the death penalty and the other deserves arrests.

Flair isn't a great dude. He didn't support the right people. I work with people who voted for Trump. Tons of people voted for Reagan and Bush, celebrities, athletes, stars, etc. I'm gonna judge them accordingly but I'm not equating them to neo-nazis

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
it was a joke that you explained seriously in the first paragraph of your next post by talking about the 'levels' aka the 'degrees'? Okay.

I'm not going nuts, PJ is right the only people who are triggered in here are the Flair fans who have cognitive dissonance wrt their hero.

Do you work with any non-black people who regularly refer to their black co-workers as the n-word? Because it seems like by talking about 'who people voted for', you're ignoring the facts that have been obviously laid out here.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This unbelievably dumb false equivalency stuff can have some fucking bad consequences.

Reaction score
The New Breed said:
it was a joke that you explained seriously in the first paragraph of your next post by talking about the 'levels' aka the 'degrees'? Okay.

I'm not going nuts, PJ is right the only people who are triggered in here are the Flair fans who have cognitive dissonance wrt their hero.

Do you work with any non-black people who regularly refer to their black co-workers as the n-word? Because it seems like by talking about 'who people voted for', you're ignoring the facts that have been obviously laid out here.

PJ knows that everyone here knows Flair has had a questionable history.

I'm confused. I thought we were putting everyone under the same umbrella

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
what

[11:43]
In 1995 on CNN‘s Larry King Live, a caller praised Helms for "everything you’ve done to help keep down the niggers." Helms’ response was to salute the camera and say, "Well, thank you, I think." – Wilmington Star-News, 9/16/95

being friends with that guy and giving him money is the same as voting for Trump, sure.

Reaction score
Hey if you voted and gave money to trump campaign it is

marching and lynching the same too

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I never said that. I said that just because lynching is worse than marching, it doesn't absolve someone of marching in the streets. My point was that just because others march in the streets, it doesn't mean that Ric didn't do awful things. By saying 'well yeah ric is racist but look at these other guys they are so much worse' that's giving him a pass by deflecting.

If you want to keep trolling me instead of addressing what I've actually said, that's cool.

Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
209 said:
And if he's not racist now (as events would indicate)...

Which events would those be, incidentally?

Do you want me to link you two hour interviews that nobody here is gonna watch anyway?

Reaction score
The New Breed said:
I never said that. I said that just because lynching is worse than marching, it doesn't absolve someone of marching in the streets. My point was that just because others march in the streets, it doesn't mean that Ric didn't do awful things. By saying 'well yeah ric is racist but look at these other guys they are so much worse' that's giving him a pass by deflecting.

If you want to keep trolling me instead of addressing what I've actually said, that's cool.

PJ made the comparison by bringing it up

And there are differences. They're all bad and others worse