Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sonic the Hedgehog

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Coming this Summer

I'm up for a 2D Sonic game.

The problem? Its being made by Sega.

If it was Nintendo, I'd be fucking there.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Kageho said:
I'm up for a 2D Sonic game.

The problem? Its being made by Sega.

If it was Nintendo, I'd be fucking there.

Sega would probably publish it no matter what. :p

We don't actually know who is developing it at this point.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

...yeah, Sega would, but still...

Its fucking Sega. Can we trust them with anything these days?

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The last Sonic I played was Sonic 2 and I loved it so much, I felt they couldn't do any better and moved on from the series.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score

Sonic 2 is the best of the 2D games (Sonic Rush aside), but you should really give 3 and S&K a go. Get them off the Virtual Console.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score

eh I was just going to get 2 and call it a day. Maybe somewhere down the road, there are other things on the VC I'd rather get.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

luke-o said:
I dunno, Madworld and HOTD: Overkill were alright.

Sega just published Madworld.

In fact, Sega's most important contributions to the home consoles this generation have been their published games.

Sonic 2 is the best of the 2D games (Sonic Rush aside)

Way to go from being so right to so wrong so quickly! :p

At any rate, more people should play Sonic Pocket Adventure. It's like Sonic 2 with new level designs. Barring that, the original Sonic Advance is very good.

Personally, I think this could be good but I'm troubled that we have no idea who is working on it, so until I hear that I'll remain extremely skeptical. Specifically, I'm concerned about who is handling the levels designs.

Also, I think they should have gone full-on nostalgia and gone the MM9 route, with 16-bit style graphics, and BLAST PROCESSING! Go back to the older character designs for the characters. Also, this is imperative: NO IN GAME STORY and NO IN GAME TEXT besides the HUD, credits, etc. Put that crap in a digital manual for anyone who actually wants to read it. I don't even want to hear a peep out of Sonic. No WHEE!! or YA-HOO! or OH! YEAH! voice samples during gameplay, even. Sonic should be mute, completely and totally.

Still, I'm not going to write it out for having more modern graphics. Bionic Commando Rearmed had the newer-style graphics, but it wasn't trying to deliberately wash away over a decade of bad mojo, either.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score

You shouldn't have to hide Sonic Adventure 2 was a very good game. It had a few large flaws, but it was very good and very fun. Good sound track too (knuckles be damned). Ditto the first game. Amazing how the wheels just completely fell off the franchise after that.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Something I noticed which seems to have coincided with the series starting to slide into decline: Super Sonic is no longer a normal-level gameplay feature, only something that can be used in special levels, which sucks. There hasn't even been a 2D game since Sonic and Knuckles that allowed you to use Super Sonic whenever.

Of course, that has also coincided with the games becoming more story-heavy, cinematic, and shitty-friend-y.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score

AndrewTS said:
Sonic 2 is the best of the 2D games (Sonic Rush aside)

Way to go from being so right to so wrong so quickly! :p

Am I the only one who liked Sonic Rush? Granted I didn't play the Blaze stages, but I kind of dug the faux 3D bosses. It was certainly the less wanky of the "new generation" Sonic games.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score

AndrewTS said:
Something I noticed which seems to have coincided with the series starting to slide into decline: Super Sonic is no longer a normal-level gameplay feature, only something that can be used in special levels, which sucks. There hasn't even been a 2D game since Sonic and Knuckles that allowed you to use Super Sonic whenever.

Of course, that has also coincided with the games becoming more story-heavy, cinematic, and shitty-friend-y.

I enjoyed Sonic Adventure (I thought it looked good, played well when you weren't Knuckles or Big, and had catchy tunes... I WANNA FLY HIGH!) but the fact you couldn't go SSJ at all unless you were battling Sin seemed like a step backward.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I really thought Sonic Unleashed on Wii would have been a great Sonic game if they would have just done it all Hedgehog and left out all those stupid Werehog parts. Of course that was about 65% of the game, so it wasn't all that good.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I hope the bonus levels look like this:

sonic-the-hedgehog-1991-20090521110910742_640w_1242943799.jpg

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score

Sonic 3's bonus stages are my favorite. When I was a kid spent wayyyyyy too much time playing them by connecting s&k to sonic 1.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Just think was is possible now.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Mr. Dressup said:
No way... those were the lame.

noway.png

I happen to agree. :)

treble said:
Just think was is possible now.

Yeah, but with Sega, it seems the quality of the technology has an inverse relationship on how good the game is--and doubly so with the bonus stages.

For instance, these crap bonus stages from Chaotix.

Notice the awful pop-up? Notice those bumpers by many of the holes?

Well, in the game there's like a 1/4 chance that bumpers will knock you back over a non-existent floor and drop you to your death, and sometimes, walls might randomly disappear and you'll fall through as well. :p

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

New screens and (leaked) footage of gameplay

Now, the game is unfinished and this obviously isn't final code being played, but they really have their work cut out for them. The physics appear off, and it seems like to play really sloppily. How did he fly so high off that ramp with barely any momentum built up? How the hell is Sonic bumping his head on the ceiling repeatedly when it is very obvious it's a spring up to a loop? That's the kind of awkward crap that knocks Sonic CD down several pegs for me. Then, for no reason, eventually it works but it seems like he's stuck walking backwards down a slope....what?

Final game could be great (there was lots of criticisms over the early versions of Bionic Commando: Rearmed, but it turned out fantastic), but the version shown is no where near ready for prime time.

Game looks slooow as well.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Less than half of those problems will be fixed and what they do fix will create new problems and then the game will launch :(

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Clearly not optimistic, I see!

BTW, according to Microsoft's site, Dimps is the developer. For some reason Sega didn't outright say it so far. Dimps, BTW, is responsible for the Sonic Advance series, the Sonic Rush games, and Unleashed's "day" levels. I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing, but if you absolutely love the Advance and Rush games, there you go.

However, I'm quite skeptical since I don't want an Advance/Rush HD, and I hope that's not what they will ultimately do.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Super super super minor complaint, but Sonic doesn't spin fast enough.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score

I hated Sonic 2's bonus levels. Tails would always run into those bombs and lose rings.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Which is why I played Sonic Only most of the time. It requires you to pick up more rings under that mode, sure, but you won't have to worry about Tails (and Tails is pretty much completely useless in 2, unlike in Sonic 3).

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Something to be concerned about, that was pointed out to me by a Konami producer on another board: In that video, there is an ESRB rating.

When the game is ready for release to the public, publishers send copies of the final product to the ESRB. The game packaging is reviewed to make sure the rating information is displayed accurately and in accordance with ESRB requirements. Additionally, ESRB staff, including raters (time permitting), play-test the final version of a variety of games - including, but not limited to, games which generate consumer inquiries to ESRB and those which receive broad consumer exposure - to verify that all the materials provided by the games' publishers during the rating process were accurate and complete.

In short: If that isn't what the final game looked and played like, they couldn't have submitted to the ESRB. If it wasn't rated yet, it would be an RP or nothing at all shown.

So...this game may be actually complete by this point...

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score

AndrewTS said:
Which is why I played Sonic Only most of the time. It requires you to pick up more rings under that mode, sure, but you won't have to worry about Tails (and Tails is pretty much completely useless in 2, unlike in Sonic 3).

How dare you!