Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sony Repartee v2

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah it looks pretty wild!

Blizzard guy is the best presenter so far..

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Destiny looks pretty sweet. Glad to see Bungie titles coming this way.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Would have been nice to actually SEE the thing. No price and release date until E3 I half expected though. They also didn't really mention what that sensor bar that sees the controller can do.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From what I saw, the PS4 looked really nice, assuming the features work as well as they potentially could.

...now on to the $500 minimum price point and subsequent deflating of hype.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What they did that was smart was focus completely on games since Microsoft has a hard on for pushing itself as multimedia nonsense when at the end of the day no one cares. I mean...sure we all use netflix...but that takes two seconds to tell me...not 10 minutes to tell me how I can use it with a camera I never plug in.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Regular themed bps21 said:
What they did that was smart was focus completely on games since Microsoft has a hard on for pushing itself as multimedia nonsense when at the end of the day no one cares. I mean...sure we all use netflix...but that takes two seconds to tell me...not 10 minutes to tell me how I can use it with a camera I never plug in.
Rumor is the nextBox will have MANDATORY Kinect. Like the system won't function without it plugged in. Enjoy!

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm more excited for that specific game than I am for the next gen consoles.
though that's mostly because I hate change.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
During my commute back home tonight, I totally forgot to look outside the window of the bus as we were passing the Hammerstein. Was probably fixated on my phone. I wonder if there was a mob scene of geeks outside.

I only half-ass followed news about this event, and I thought the whole point of it was to reveal the actual console. That's kind of a bummer.

Watch Dogs sounds and looks incredible.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scared Smues said:
Rumor is the nextBox will have MANDATORY Kinect. Like the system won't function without it plugged in. Enjoy!

After the way Sony messed up the launch of the PS3 they've rebounded and kicked ass this generation and it looks like they're getting ready to whoop some more ass next generation.
Again I'm just sooo glad I invested in a PS3. My 360 just looks old and clunk to me now. Plus the awesomeness of the PSN and the fact that it's free blows Live away.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rundown of the event via Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5985759/sony-announces-the-playstation-4

Everything We Know About The PS4, Out This Holiday Season, And The Games Announced Tonight

After months and years of rumors, the PlayStation 4 has finally been revealed. It'll be out this holiday season.

Sony announced the new machine at a two-hour presentation in New York City, during which the Japanese hardware maker showed off a whole bunch of gorgeous games and sizzling demos for the next PlayStation—their first home gaming console since the PS3 in late 2006. But there's still a lot left unsaid: we don't know what the hardware looks like, how much it will cost, or how many of its online functions will work.

We did get to see the PS4's controller, which has a few fascinating new features, like a Share button that lets you put videos and screenshots of your games online. Veteran designer Mark Cerny was the first to take to the stage and speak about the next PlayStation.

"It is a powerful and accessible system," he said. "And it has a deep feature set to support the ongoing evolution of gaming itself."

The PS4 has 8 gigabytes of RAM and comes with a "massive" hard drive, Cerny said.

The controller looks exactly like the prototype we've been showing you here on Kotaku. It has "share" and "options" buttons as well as a touchpad in the center.

xlarge.jpg

You can suspend/resume the system instantly by pressing the power button. A secondary custom chip will handle downloads and uploads so you can get games onto your console even when it's turned off. You can also play games while they're being downloaded, Cerny said.

sony82.png

You can also stream gameplay footage and "spectate"—that is, watch other people play games—on the new machine. (As we reported last night.)

sony87_1.png

You'll also be able to play PS4 games on your Vita with a functionality they're calling "remote play." Sony says the goal is to make every single PS4 game playable on their handheld as well.

A reel of developers including Double Fine's Tim Schafer, Harmonix's Alex Rigopulos, and Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades all spoke about the pros of the new console, though none shared specifics about projects they were working on.

sony128_1.png

Games announced at the show included Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall, as well as Driveclub, Infamous: Second Son, and Deep Down.

Some other highlights: Diablo 3 is coming to PS4 and PS3, The Witness will be debuting on PS4, and a new PS4 Final Fantasy will be shown off at this year's E3.

Sony also confirmed what we all knew already: both Bungie's Destiny and Ubisoft's Watch Dogs are indeed next-gen games.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Scared Smues said:

After the way Sony messed up the launch of the PS3 they've rebounded and kicked ass this generation and it looks like they're getting ready to whoop some more ass next generation.
Again I'm just sooo glad I invested in a PS3. My 360 just looks old and clunk to me now. Plus the awesomeness of the PSN and the fact that it's free blows Live away.

Yeah, I wouldn't get too used to that freeness. Word is Playstation is going the Xbox route and will charge for playing online and forcing users to use the new PS+ to use Netflix and other services.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Word is" from whom? This is the first time I've heard that.. Well, that is, if you don't count the annual "Sony to start charging for online" rumor that goes around every year.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, FWIW, neither of those reports mention being charged for basic online or access to Netflix. I honestly would be surprised if they ever went that route given the success of PS+ as an optional premium service.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kind of expected that with the no BWC news since this sort of falls under the same umbrella. Current PSN games are PS3 games.. and would require emulation to run on PS4.. which it won't have. We already knew this, technically.

The Engadget article that's quoted also doesn't say anything like having to to fully re-purchase content that you've already bought, as Joystiq seems to be suggesting with their headline. I would expect that once games you already have bought digitally show up on the PS4 cloud, then you'd be able to download them again either for free (which it should be) or the Nintendo Wii U VC route of charging something like 50 cents to a dollar to re-download.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bwahahahaha.

Sony just CAN'T help but look to kill its own momentum, huh?

Look, I want to get PS4...but come on, man. Pay. 50 or $1 for something I already bought? Fuck that. Dub you've spent how muchon the PsN? Real talk.. There's no way you can justify this, is there?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Justify what? My comment about them charging a fee to re-download was speculation.. were you taking it as fact? Because no one has officially discussed costs in either of those articles. Yoshida has only said that they cannot carry over natively.

Ideally it would be free. BUT - if they charge a fee for it, I'm fine with that as I'm not going to re-buy that stuff anyway. Chances are when I get the PS4, the last thing I'm going to be worried about is whether or not I can download Dishonored on it since it'll already be on the console sitting right beside it. :p I'm not justifying it for everyone else.. but like I said in the chat last night.. bwc isn't a dealbreaker for me. I keep my old consoles and use them on the reg. I still have two brand new PS2s that function perfectly (JPN & USA). My most recent PS3 is fairly new (I just put in a 750gb hybrid drive two nights ago) and I'm hardly going to abandon that just because the PS4 comes out.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some randoms...

The Hardware

Joystiq said:
A press release reveals the machine will include an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU developed by AMD and a Radeon GPU with the capability of terrorizing televisions with 1.84 TFLOPS of gaming goodness.

PlayStation 4 includes a Blu-ray drive that spins game discs a brisk 6X and 8X for DVDs. Additional specs in the release note the, already revealed, 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM along with 802.11n WiFi capability, USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth 2.1 and ports for optical audio, HDMI and even legacy analog AV hook-ups. Though the console will have internal storage, Sony did not detail its size.

The Apps

Joystiq said:
With a new PlayStation app, Sony plans to extend the PlayStation 4 console experience to a second-screen. Announced for iOS and Android devices, the app will allow players to enhance their gaming experience by accessing information – such as maps for the PS4 title being played – as well as make purchases for their console on the go and "remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices."

Based on its description, the app seems similar in purpose as Microsoft's SmartGlass application; however, Sony's offerings expand further with the addition of updates to its PlayStation Vita. As revealed during its PlayStation 4 reveal event, the Vita will be able to remotely play console games with the use of Gaikai's streaming technology.

Developers Currently Working on Games
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/heres-everyone-working-on-a-ps4-game/ (it's a long list)

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"3D Not a Focus" - thank fucking god.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-wont-support-4k-games-3d-not-a-focus said:
Despite Sony's business-wide emphasis on 3D technology in the last two two years, it chose to instead focus on 4K at CES this past January, making only brief mentions of the stereoscopic capabilities of its new products. Now, it seems that same philosophy is extending to the PlayStation 4. According to PlayStation Executive Shuhei Yoshida, the PlayStation 4 will support 4K video and photos, but 3D functionality will not be a focus.

"The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos — not games," Yoshida said. "PS4 games do not work on 4K." While it's possible that we may see tech demos that demonstrate the system's capacity for 4K gaming, like Polyphony Digital's multi-display demos powered by several PS3s paired together, Yoshida says a single console cannot natively run games in the high-resolution format.

What's more, he said that stereoscopic 3D is not a focus for the new system, although it is 3D-capable.

"It's not a focus. But it does do it better. The basic capability is higher so more games will run at 1080p at 60 frames so it's an easier and better experience when you watch on 3D TV."

He went on to provide background about Sony's new strategy when it comes to 3D.

"3D was a big thing a couple of years ago — we made it a big thing because it was lead by the consumer electronics side of Sony and we liked what we could do on PS3 using 3D stereoscopic," Yoshida said. "But now the consumer electronics side of Sony, or all of the companies have shifted focus from 3D TV to something else, so if they're not talking about it, why would we?"

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
PS4 doesn't require an always-on internet connection

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/ps4-doesnt-require-an-always-on-internet-connection/ said:
The PlayStation 4 does not need to be constantly connected to the internet, president of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer following Sony's conference yesterday. The PS4's internet settings are fully customizable, whether someone is concerned about data limits or simply wants to be left alone.

"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally," Yoshida said. "Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social. So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

The PS4 has a secondary custom chip that allows users to play games as those games are downloading, and Yoshida said the PS4 will have a low-power mode where the main system is asleep but the subsystem is awake, downloading or uploading content.

Players will be able to wake up the PS4 via tablets, smartphones or with the Vita, Yoshida further explained. The Vita will be able to play PS4 games remotely, with the goal of all games using remote play functionality.