Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Speaking Out: David Starr Countless Others Named

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Mark Adam Hagerty, ring announcer for MLW and guy who tried starting a #LightSideoftheRing hashtag a few weeks ago in response to negative publicity from the Vice show, got busted for soliciting a 15 year old.

Both MLW and IWTV immediately severed ties.

This one hit me hardest so far. We have mutuals, including some promoters, and workers I'm friends with. Absolutely no one knew about this. Our mutual Jessica was so broken about this one.

Just burn this whole thing to the ground and start over. Get all the pieces of shit out. But my fear is that after a few weeks, wrestlers will stop being called out, and we'll just go back to status quo.

Jerry Lawler has been, and still is, under contract with WWE. Anything they do is just window dressing. They don't give 2 shits about anything but making as much money as possible.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mark was the ring announcer at the low rent indy show with Ethan Page that I guest ring announced on for my 30th Birthday. He seemed like a very cool dude in my limited interaction with him. Open with advice and encouragement. He was also very outspoken and quick in condemning Rick Cataldo and Matter of Pride when their scandal hit. It is tough. This problem seems like it'd be easier to solve if it was only people we didn't like committing assault and abuse. But Idk a lot of people no one likes get away with it too.

I totally understand people who want to give up on wrestling after this but I've stuck with this garbage for this long. I want to see it and try and flush out the bastards. There is still a lot of good folks who want to do the right thing. As horrible as the last week has been, it was even worse when we didn't know about any of this.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Joey Ryan and I have mutual female friends. I'm very unhappy and am now quite concerned. Motherfucker even deleted his super secret FB page.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Joey Ryan and I have mutual female friends. I'm very unhappy and am now quite concerned. Motherfucker even deleted his super secret FB page.

Ryan had another one come out this morning where a guy’s friend who knows nothing about wrestling saw his tweets and told him a few years back (2015) that Joey matched her on Tinder and was getting handsy with her at the bar where they met to the point she had to get him removed.

This prompted the guy to share Joey’s personal Tinder name to keep others they know safe so I know he was tweeting out Joseph Ryan Meehan today. I’m sure that led to him shutting down personal pages, had he not already.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He had a Facebook that was an alias where he only had his "good" friends. Super private, small number of people. That being gone speaks volumes to me. That Tinder thing scares the fuck out of me.

The main friend who knew him isn't saying anything, not that I've asked. But she's been openly friends with him for some time, and I figure if something wasn't up, she'd say something. She and a few others were pretty in with the PWG guys, so I'm concerned at the thought of other things happening or coming out. I mean, who knows anymore?

Staff member
Reaction score
This Sammy Guevara thing is extremely disappointing. It is only a joke, but I don't know why someone would say that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Got to take into account that Sammy Guevara was in his early 20s, which is the dumbest phase of life. Not that that justifies saying something that heinously awful. I hope Tony Khan punishes him but if he sincerely apologizes, I don't think it's worth firing him over it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't know if it's good or bad I haven't seen Teddy Hart's name pop back up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Teddy Hart was permanently canceled right before pandemic hit. I could always be wrong since this business is sleazy but that last run felt like his last shot at redemption.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Honestly I could see a lot of people his age group using that type of language and thinking it was funny. I remember Tyler The Creator and the Odd Future group being big in the early to mid 10's and a lot of their songs had explicit lines where Tyler would say he wants to rape Taylor Swift and making light of rape and using it in a casual tone. I'm not dismissing what he said and that type of language is abhorrent and horrible and reprehensible. That does seem like one of the only apologies I've seen out of this that seems sincere though.

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn AEW straight up suspended him indefinitely without pay.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, it went about as well as could be expected:

Sammy admitted it and apologized
Sasha spoke with him about it
AEW punished him

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

I ended up seeing this today after posting my comment last night. Without digging in, I saw this person made accusations toward several individuals, which is awful if she encountered anything, let alone multiple issues with multiple individuals. Something I read indicated she was groomed while underage by some behind the scenes guy in Brit Wrestling and then she supposedly had incidents with multiple talents.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I get on a high horse about the stuff Sammy said, I'm a hypocrite. "Rape" was used during Magic the Gathering tournaments frequently in college to describe quick victories or trades that were one sided. Nearly everyone in the 16-23 age group at these things spoke like that, and yes inching toward 40 if I heard that today I'd be grossed out by them. I'm pretty sure when speaking of sporting events, blowouts, I've heard friends use the same term.

Of all people, Dane Cook put it into perspective for me in a routine when he went off on people using the worst possible thing, short of murder, to compare minuscule life shit. That said, good on Sammy for apologizing and admitting. Banks handled her response with grace and class that Sammy might not have deserved, but she definitely gifted him a kindness. I hope he can learn from this, and anyone going into any sort spotlight understands your celebrity does not give you a pass for any of the aforementioned offenses. You're subject to the same standards of prosecution as those of us not notable.

As far as the extremely scummy stuff being reported in here, as a consumer of entertainment, it's just horrifying. Two fold, someone that you "like" as an entertainer is a scumbag even though you really don't know them, and two, someone, multiple someones, have been victimized and have felt too fearful to say anything due to the celebrity stature of their abuser. Strength in numbers, they need to keep reporting their truth and not let anyone off the hook.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Sammy's suspended without pay for comments he made prior to AEW's existence and has apologized for. Makes sense to me. Sure do hope they don't dig into shit Mox or Jericho have said in the past.

Dandy

Reaction score
Here is the part where everyone can pile on me and tell me how horrible I am.

I do not feel like Sammy should have been suspended.

Was what he said about Sasha despicable? Yes.

However, this was not something he said just now. This was something he said four years ago that was available to the public four years ago.That does not make what he said okay, but it was an isolated event—as far as we know—of him using horrible words to describe how hot he thought a female was. Worst words imaginable. Once. On a live mic.

There have been no reports (that I know of) where he physically did anything. He made a horribly stupid comment before he was ever hired by his company and he apologized directly for it.

Make the man pay a heavy fine that is donated toward a relative cause; make him attend meetings; but don’t suspend the guy indefinitely. It was circulated before you hired him.

Please note, I do not view anything that happened in the past in this same way. This is solely about Sammy’s comments.

Dandy

Reaction score
Sammy's suspended without pay for comments he made prior to AEW's existence and has apologized for. Makes sense to me. Sure do hope they don't dig into shit Mox or Jericho have said in the past.

Exactly. What about Dustin’s comments and actions on “The Plane Ride from Hell”?

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I'm worried Sammy is going to be punished more than the people who have committed horrible crimes.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Here is the part where everyone can pile on me and tell me how horrible I am.

I do not feel like Sammy should have been suspended.

Was what he said about Sasha despicable? Yes.

However, this was not something he said just now. This was something he said four years ago that was available to the public four years ago.That does not make what he said okay, but it was an isolated event—as far as we know—of him using horrible words to describe how hot he thought a female was. Worst words imaginable. Once. On a live mic.

There have been no reports (that I know of) where he physically did anything. He made a horribly stupid comment before he was ever hired by his company and he apologized directly for it.

Make the man pay a heavy fine that is donated toward a relative cause; make him attend meetings; but don’t suspend the guy indefinitely. It was circulated before you hired him.

Please note, I do not view anything that happened in the past in this same way. This is solely about Sammy’s comments.

We don't run a company that relies on sponsors to stay in business. With everything that's going on with the Speaking Out hashtag, they needed to do something. Yes, it was an old interview, it was a bad joke that both parties smoothed over, but it's horrible PR. People, stupidly, were calling him to be fired. That wasn't going to happen, but they couldn't just let him show up on Wednesday like nothing happened. He'll go to the sensitivity training, be off TV for a little bit, and then be back. He was fine with the punishment. It's bad enough they haven't done anything about Jake Hager or Justin Roberts yet. This one had rock solid proof that he said it. TNT probably wanted to make sure they took action.

Reactions: 909

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I get they had to do it, but there is just such a huge difference between a bad joke years ago at 22 and actually doing terrible stuff. I hate that it all gets roped in together.

I can tell you this. I lived in the college dorms for 4 years. If people were suspended without pay for bad jokes or terrible things they said to their significant others in the heat of arguments or while drunk during those 18-22 year-old-years there would be easily 4/5's of the population going without pay right now.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. We've all made off color comments like that, especially at that age, I'm sure. If this comes up any other time, I'm sure less happens. He's a victim of circumstance here. In fact, if this wasn't happening, I'm willing to bet no one digs it up to try to cancel him.

Dandy

Reaction score
Big Beard, what about Dustin Rhodes? You already mentioned Justin Roberts. Sammy gets suspended? I feel like this was harsher than what will come for Dustin if anything at all, and he said and did much worse.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Big Beard, what about Dustin Rhodes? You already mentioned Justin Roberts. Sammy gets suspended? I feel like this was harsher than what will come for Dustin if anything at all, and he said and did much worse.

I know it opens the door up for a slippery slope what they've. Obviously take each case as they come, and if no one brings it up like they did with Sammy, they aren't going to offer it up. Justin Roberts is different since he was called out during this whole thing for pedophilia, separate from what happened previously.

Like I said, Sammy was so harsh because of the circumstances surrounding everything going on. A fine with the money going to a charity might have been what it normally would have gotten, if that. Sammy, so far since he hasn't been called out otherwise, has shown that he isn't the same person that said that. It didn't lead to him actually doing anything about it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What Dustin did was a much longer time ago and pre sobriety and becoming born again.

Like I said I think Sammy's punishment is harsh but fair but I think he's only being punished to this current extent because of current climate.