Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

ESPN discontinued doing the Sports Almanac. This dismays me

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

The Leafs Twitter is really shitty. And I think it's relatively new, too.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

In a pretty big shocker, Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN.

“My decision to leave ESPN and move on at this point in my life has been conflicted. I owe a great deal of my professional life to ESPN, having spent more than half of my 40 years in journalism working for the network, and the choice to move on was made with nothing but the strongest feelings for the people with whom I worked. ESPN gave me a great deal more than I gave it, and will always be a huge part of who I am.

“I will forever be joined at the hip with John Walsh, who hired me as an ink-stained wretch, plunked me on TV and has always been a guiding spirit. Understand how the people who run ESPN treat people: when I was felled by a severe aneurysm in 2006, George Bodenheimer, John Skipper, Norby Williamson, my former Boston Globe boss Vince Doria and everyone made certain that my family and I had the best care and support, far, far beyond any reasonable expectation. My ESPN life has been lined with foxhole people whom I’ll never forget.

“I’ve been able to work with my closest and oldest friends, like Jayson Stark, Tim Kurkjian, Buster Olney, Peter Pascarelli, Jerry Crasnick and Charlie Moynihan. I spent three seasons doing games with a producer, Tom Archer, who is among the most revered leaders I’ve ever met. I told everyone last October that the team baseball coordinating producer Jay Levy put together with Mark Preisler and Marc Carman was the most creative in my 20 years on the show. I apologize to hundreds of people I owe for all these years for not mentioning their names.

“You would have had to be there for 20 years to know how hard so many good people sweated in anonymity to make all of us look as if we knew what we were doing.

“My friend Tom Rush – who taught James Taylor and me our first guitar chords – once wrote how strange it seems to walk away alone. With no regrets.”

If he goes to MLB Network I will weep tears of joy.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Anybody have an ESPN Insider account? I have to re-up my ESPN Magazine subscription so I figured it would be about 15 bucks more to do this. Is it worth it? It use to really piss me off that I could access the whole site when I was younger, but seeing the magazine deal included too, it doesn't seem so bad.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Tony Kornheiser was suspended from PTI for a couple of days for comments he made about Hannah Storm's wardrobe choices on his radio show. She tends to dress for the morning Sports Center like she's going clubbing, I'd say she's fair game. Plus this suspension means we're stuck with Lebetard on PTI, which is more of a punishment to the viewers than Tony. Thanks ESPN.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Lebatard's awesome. Tony's comments were unnecessary and kind of harsh. Wilbon's the one who's been getting on my nerves lately.

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Smues said:
Tony Kornheiser was suspended from PTI for a couple of days for comments he made about Hannah Storm's wardrobe choices on his radio show. She tends to dress for the morning Sports Center like she's going clubbing, I'd say she's fair game. Plus this suspension means we're stuck with Lebetard on PTI, which is more of a punishment to the viewers than Tony. Thanks ESPN.
He also made a comment about Berman gaining the 60 pounds he lost on nutrisystem. Word is that Berman's contract is up and has lofty demands. Being insulted by one of your colleagues probably isn't going to sit right.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Berman probably has creative control demands in his contract so he can still use the same shit he has been the past 30 years.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Fuck, I stop watching PTI, and now Tony is taking shots at fellow ESPN talent. I wonder who pissed in his cornflakes?

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I believe it was on Tony's radio show. I am guessing Tony would probably be content to just do radio and walk from PTI, but it's such a huge csh-cow I don't think it would happen.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

It was on his radio show. He takes shots at ESPN people all the time, this was nothing new or out of the ordinary. The Berman theory seems to be a popular one and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the real reason for the suspension, now officially announced as two weeks. What a joke.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I don't get Tony's show here in SoCal, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not listen to him thanks to the internet. I have a bad Francesa habit that's really hard to kick.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

ha Kornheiser gets suspended for commenting on Hannah Storm skanking it up on the morning sportscenter?

hell she's the only reason to watch

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Why pile on Kornheiser? He's right, Hannah MILFs it up too much on Sportscenter.

I'd hit it.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

He got suspended for that? It isn't like he said something racist or sexist or anything.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Spider & Henchman must be the greatest sports podcast. It's a good antidote to the ESPNgroupthinktalkinghead brigade that seems inescapable sometimes. There's a very real, unpretentious air about them when they discuss sports, and it's nicely juxtaposed to vulgar humor and stories, such as in the most recent episode where Hench shares his tale of bringing lotion to a strip club and asking strippers if he can masturbate in his sweats while watching them. Plus John Salley is always good for some classic quotes: "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you win."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Anybody else looking forward to the Ozzie Guillen reality show on MLB Network?

C'mon nobody?

In other news, according to his Twitter, Ochacinco doesn't know who won his reality dating show. That fella's more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I can see that but were The Phillies bullpen a generally interesting bunch outside the show? It's obviously going to be sanitized but watching Ozzie, Kenny Williams, and Jerry Reinsdorf argue has some unintentional comedic potential.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Kung Kamala said:
I can see that but were The Phillies bullpen a generally interesting bunch outside the show? It's obviously going to be sanitized but watching Ozzie, Kenny Williams, and Jerry Reinsdorf argue has some unintentional comedic potential.
Well when you have last year's elite closer having a genuine meltdown and you still can't develop an interesting show, I don't know. The problem seemed to be that the Phils weren't willing to leak anything at all. So it was just following them around and the producers feeding them topics.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Reality Show Thread

Haven't watched the Ozzie show on the DVR yet but incidentally there's also a one hour documentary on The Brewers premiering tomorrow on ESPN.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

So, Rogers SportsNet One (which is funny, because Sportsnet already has 4 channels) launches today. Unfortunately, no one's put it up on YouTube, but for the last month or so, they've been running the EXACT SAME COMMERCIAL for it set to Nelly's "# 1". Pretty much half of what's left of the Jays games this season will be on there, since I guess the Sportsnet schedule was just too packed, otherwise. The game tonight against the Angels is on the new channel, and the 'main' network (well, the Ontario feed, at least) is showing Rudy and poker.

I've heard that a majority of Blue Jays games will be on there next season, which means I'll have to spend more money to watch the games (if my cable company even provides the channel) so one of the richest companies in the country which doesn't have enough programming to fill up the sports network it already has can make a little more money.

I've also heard one of the reasons that Rogers wants to put so many of the Jays games on One is because they'd rather have the games on a national network rather than the regional ones they're on now. This is ignoring that they could do that now, but used the team as a way to get people to buy digital packages to subscribe to all 4 of the regional networks by putting most Jays games on only 2 of the feeds, while putting other games (usually Red Sox or Yankees ones) on the other feeds. So, if you lived in Alberta or whatever, and wanted to watch the Jays play that night, there's a good chance that Sportsnet West would be showing the Yankees vs. whoever they're playing and unless you had the digital package that has all 4 Sportsnet feeds, you couldn't watch the game (and there's also probably a pretty good chance that you couldn't watch the game in HD, either).

I fucking hate this company. This is the same shit they pulled last year when they only put the Tigers/Twins playoff game on 2 of the feeds and the Ontario feed got to watch a simulcast of a radio show.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Sportsnet is awful. I'm glad that TSN picked up UEFA Champions League and the EPL for next year with TSN and TSN2. I know it doesn't bother me trying to watch Jays games, but since living in Alberta I have to put up with Don Taylor who might be the worst broadcaster in the business.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Jays games last weekend (Friday's and Sunday's games) on the regular Sportsnet channels got around 480,000 viewers each game. The Saturday game, on Sportsnet One, got around 31,000.