Re: Sports Media Thread

mannybeingcurtis.jpg

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score

still fly said:
Mike Francesa's new jingle is terrible.

Yeah it is. It sounds like they took the Mike'd Up theme and dubbed the word 'On' over 'Up'. Mike'd On doesn't even make sense as a phrase.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score

Le Batard can give off some major douche-vibes, but Woody Paige is one of the five most obnoxious people on ESPN (a tough list to crack, to be sure).

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Red Baron said:
Bill Plaschke has to be number one? He's insufferable.

Stuart Scott, unless he's toned down in the two years since I've seen him, has to be in the conversation.

I don't mind Woody Paige, but I only see him in small doses; I might watch ATH once a week. I certainly don't think he should have a show of his own.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score

I mean, just look at Tim Cowlishaw, or Bill Plaschke, or LeBetard...they're such douches! Woodrow is a man's man!

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

Bill Plaschke is the worst. Stuart Scott, Stephen A. Smith etc. act like douchebags on air but there's sometimes substance behind them. Plaschke has the added bonus of being a hack columnist.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score

alkeiper said:
Bill Plaschke is the worst. Stuart Scott, Stephen A. Smith etc. act like douchebags on air but there's sometimes substance behind them. Plaschke has the added bonus of being a hack columnist.

Imagine being in Plaschke's home market. I've gotten to the point, where I can identify a Plaschke article (usually a sob story or the complaint du jour) and not even have to look at if he wrote it.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score

We used to get a lot of Plaschke articles syndicated in the local paper. Not quite as awful as he is on TV, but it's close.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Wasn't it Plaschke a few years ago who, after watching the Lakers play hard for about a quarter, wrote a column that stopped after like three paragraphs, leaving the rest of the column on the page blank with the explanation of "I'm putting in as much effort as the Lakers today"?

I thought that was brilliant in the "now don't ever fucking do that again" sense.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

You can easily identify a Plaschke article by the paragraph breaks. If the writer uses a second sentence in the same paragraph, it's not Plaschke.

MillenniumMan831

Monsoon_Classic
Reaction score

I have a hardon for Dan Le Batard's show just for the Javale McGee highlights alone.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I was going to link to that article!

I didn't go to that game, I was at the Friday night win against the Wizards. Whammy and the dancing guy are probably the two most famous Nets fans. Though, at the Bobcats game I went to, the guy behind me was talking about someone who always heckles Johan Petro, which is me.

The only other game I'm going to is the last one against Philly, but that's because their other dates are against Boston, Miami and New York, and those you can't get cheap seats too.

The guy paying $300 for shitty upper level season tickets is sad. As the article states, he could go to most of those games for a penny, and just shell out for the Knicks, Heat, Celtics and Clips

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I know it's the Nets and they really aren't worth near that much. But $300 for even upper level season tickets in this day and age for any other major league sports franchise is insane! That's $9 per game!

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yea, I don't know if that factors in fees or not. Because with stubhub, counting fees, he'd probably be paying $6, and he has to pay extra for the Knicks, Heat and Clippers, and maybe a little extra for Boston. So maybe it is worth it in the end.

Or he could just pay a few dollars more on stubhub and sit mezzanine or lower centre. I've sat in lower centre for less than $15, and it's amazing. I got to meet Ian Eagle and the Czar.

It's sad that they are going to be jacking up ticket prices for the Barclays, as the arena is much easier and cheaper to get to than Prudential. My hope is that after the shine of the new arena wears off, prices on stubhub will drop again and I can go to Nets games again.

The other fun perk of games- you can meet the other team afterward. I met John Wall!