Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Broadcasting/Anchors/Media Thread

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

The most important celebrity at Staples Center on Monday night wore no baseball cap, beard stubble or attitude.

The most important celebrity at Staples Center did not have torn jeans, a pouty smile or affected swagger.

But, like the rest of them, he didn't stroll in until the second quarter.

And, at times, it did seem as if he wasn't really watching the game.

And, no, we're not sure when he's coming back.

On a night when Will Ferrell or Leonardo DiCaprio filled the room, the most important celebrity was Andrew Bynum.

Only there is no humor here, and the drama is real.

On a night the Lakers smoothly paved over their first-round series against the Utah Jazz with a 107-96 victory and a four-games-to-one clinching, there remained an unsettled rumbling.

What next?

Bynum or sell?

The melodramatic one-sentence paragraphs of Plashke are out of control.

He uses the same comparative devices, and the same hyperbole in every column.

And I've had enough.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I only read the first two sentences.

I immediately recognized it as that hack Plaschke.

He needs to be stopped.

For his own good.

Seriously.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Now as for T.J. Simers,

It's Monday night, I am here at Staples Center of all places watching this debacle, still thinking more and more these days how lucky we are to have such a good team in town.

It's fun, they're really fun and what's wrong with thinking they can go all the way, parade and all?

They might lose on occasion, but the bench is contributing in a big way, everybody knows who is going to have the ball in their hand when they get the chance to close, and while we've heard ad nauseam that Andruw is not getting it done, we're so beyond that now.

Jones is in Texas, the Dodgers have the best record in baseball, 11 straight home wins -- and if only the Lakers could be as good as the Dodgers at home.

But here we are -- the very best witnesses to what a promising young player can mean to a team if only a little patience is shown.

But enough about Andrew Bynum and the god-awful Lakers.

OK, so he's making you think he was talking about the Lakers, but he really meant to Dodgers. Or...was he talking about the Lakers after all? What is he saying? Simers can be clever, but he lacks basic writing skills so much that he's often on the brink of incomprehensibility. When he writes a straight column, like about Nick Adenhart or John Wooden, he's fine, but when he tries to be funny his columns are just a grammatical mess.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Clippers owner Donald Sterling, accused of racism and embracing a "vision of a Southern plantation-type structure" in a lawsuit filed in February by Elgin Baylor, will be given a lifetime achievement award next week by the NAACP. . . .

Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles branch of the civil rights organization, says of the much-maligned Sterling, "He has a unique history of giving to the children of L.A.," revealing that the owner donates anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 tickets a game to youth groups for nearly every Clippers home game. . . .

Noting that the NAACP had made plans to honor Sterling before Baylor filed suit, Jenkins says, "We can't speak to the allegations, but what we do know is that for the most part [Sterling] has been very, very kind to the minority youth community." . . .

Baylor didn't mention that. . . .

I wasn't going to talk about this columnist, but that story is just too awesome. Only the Clippers could pull that off. The ellipses are Jerry Crowe's gimmick. 

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

If anybody has Verizon On Demand, the NFL Network section under Free has an episode on the Fox Broadcasting of Aikman/Buck/Collinsworth in relation to football games. It's fascinating to see how Fox and the group gets ready for live games from Week 1 through the Super Bowl.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

So Jaycee Dugard is a girl who got kidnapped back in 1991 and just turned up alive in California after having been held captive in a backyard shed for 18 years. She was raped and forced to bear her captor's children. If you're sitting there thinking to yourself, "I really wish someone would write a tacky sports column about this awful story," well, today's your lucky day.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/world-won-most-2555260-never-one

It doesn't sound as if Jaycee Dugard got to see a sports page.

Box scores were not available to her from June 10, 1991 until Aug. 31 of this year.

She never saw a highlight. Never got to the ballpark for Beach Towel Night. Probably hasn't high-fived in a while.

She was not allowed to spike a volleyball. Or pitch a softball. Or smack a forehand down the line. Or run in a 5-footer for double bogey.

Now, that's deprivation.

Can you imagine? Dugard was 11 when she was kidnapped and stashed in Phillip Garrido's backyard. She was 29 when she escaped. Penitentiary inmates at least get an hour of TV a day. Dugard was cut off from everything but the elements.

How long before she fully digests the world she re-enters? How difficult to adjust to such cataclysmic change?

More than that, who's going to explain the fact that there's a President Obama?

Dugard's stepfather says she's going to need a lot of therapy — you think? — so perhaps she should take a respite before confronting the new realities.

So, Jaycee, whenever you're ready, here's what you've missed:

•Barry Bonds, who was just leading the Pirates to their second NL East title, wound up breaking Henry Aaron's home run record. How did such a skinny guy manage that? We'll deal with that later.

•Well, actually, some baseball players began taking drugs in order to hit more home runs and throw faster fastballs. Football players, who had cornered the market on most of their drugs, began driving drunk, slapping their wives, selling drugs, and killing people. The baseball players caught more grief.

•Michael Jordan did indeed win the big one, and five others.

•Yeah, this golfer really is named Tiger Woods.

•Stock car drivers now marry international models and are invited to the White House.

•Domed stadiums, like the ones in Houston and Minneapolis, are considered obsolete, or at least unfit for baseball.

•John McEnroe became a respected television analyst, just as tennis adopted a replay system that eliminated the need for McEnroe to argue.

•Magic Johnson is a billionaire businessman, and most of us have forgotten just why he had to retire.

•You missed absolutely no Servite victories over Mater Dei in football.

•Or World Series championship for the Dodgers.

•Or Stanley Cup championships for the Kings, even though Wayne Gretzky took them to the Finals in 1993.

•Mike Tyson now makes fun of himself in movies.

•The Anaheim Ducks won the Stanley Cup in '07. Yeah, a hockey team came to Anaheim. Yeah, they built an arena in Anaheim.

•I know you've had trouble digesting all this so far, but they also built a basketball arena at USC. Honest to God.

•A guy from East L.A. named Oscar De La Hoya now makes boxing contenders rich and famous. Just as he did when he was boxing.

•The Angels won a World Series. When you learn who they beat, you'll understand why.

•Speaking of the Giants they did not move, but they did get a new stadium downtown. The Florida Marlins, who did not exist when you left, won two World Series and are getting their own ballpark. Even if you were there, it's hard to believe.

•For the most part, fans have stopped doing The Wave.

•In fact, you don't see many beach balls in Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium anymore.

•The two NFL teams that we used to have? They've been gone for 15 years. You haven't heard anyone complain about that? Neither have we.

•Jackie Autry isn't in charge of the Angels anymore, as you might have surmised by looking at the standings.

•Joe Torre now manages the Dodgers, after a fruitful detour through New York. Tommy Lasorda? Sure, he's around. He hasn't called?

•You disappeared a couple of months before John Daly came into our lives at the '91 PGA. Who's John Daly? Never mind.

•Todd Marinovich showed why careers aren't played on paper.

•USC is one of college football's elite programs, three coaches later.

•The Red Sox won two World Series, which proves that history is bunk. The White Sox even won one. But not the Cubs.

•Cal Ripken Jr. broke Lou Gehrig's record for consecutive games played but never threatened Vladimir Guerrero's record for most consecutive swings.

•One blessed constant remains: Vin Scully.

•And ballplayers, who always invent the slang no matter what ESPN would have you believe, came up with an expression for a home run that you might appreciate.

Congratulations, Jaycee. You left the yard.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Football players ... began driving drunk, slapping their wives
Yeah, that just started in the last 18 years.

That whole article is really awesome.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

The OC Register is a shit rag and I like how Jaycee being from Northern California mind you, would give a shit about Southern California sports teams.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

deadspin:
Sean Salisbury was employed at Dallas radio station 105.3 (who knew!) but apparently he's already out. You'll never guess what the rumor is as to why he was let go.

According to one source close to the station, Salisbury "freaked out a station promo girl after sexting her".
This is the second time that Sean Salisbury has taken a picture of his dick with his cell phone. See, once, I get. Twice, though!

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

The FJM crew is editing Deadspin today and they've had some pretty good media takedowns. I like the Gene Wojo one that Ken Tremendous just had up.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Schur's schtick was almost as played out as Deadspin's by the time Fire Joe Morgan was discontinued.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

http://deadspin.com/5360379/the-utterance-of-this-word-should-be-punishable-by-death
Waitwaitwait. Hold up. Heeey. Do they mean to tell me that smaller white guys are popular with fans because despite being among the very best in the world at what they do, they still aren't superhuman freaks of nature who are either too amazing to comprehend or too roid-addled to respect, which makes them comparatively easier to relate to, which in concert with failure to use the "Value Over Replacement Player" metric, leads to an overvaluation of their skills?

NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THIS BEFORE IN MY LIFE

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Czech officially has a Damaramu thing going on with Deadspin.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Plaschke's been going on about the Redskins, saying it's the most offensive nickname in sports, and the Native American equivalent of the n word. Personally, I think the Cleveland Indians' logo is much worse, but so be it.

And as for another team with a horrible nickname that nobody talks about, the Buffalo Bills. So they name the city after the mighty buffalo, honor it by putting the animal on their helmets...and name the team after a man who SLAUGHTERED THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF THEM. Does that make any sense?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

The Indians have a worse logo but the Redskins have the worse nickname. I don't think it's unreasonable in the slightest to think the Redskins are offensive.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I think the city of Buffalo is a corruption of the French "beau fleuve," but I might be wrong.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

So it looks like NESN is continuing to corner the market on attractive blonde female reporters by bringing Philly reporter Jade McCarthy aboard. She's best known by taking a bukkake session champagne bath courtesy of the Phillies

large_mccarthybath.jpg

Come on NESN, get some brunettes or redheads in there. Change it up a bit.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Plaschke interviewed good ol' Ron Artest at a Lakers photo shoot in San Diego. This is just some classic stuff.

He showed up wearing a black Kobe Bryant jersey and a dark San Diego Padres baseball cap, only one of which he could explain.

"I decided to wear the black Kobe Bryant jersey because he is the 'Black Mamba,' " he told reporters.

And the cap?

"I just love the SD; the logo looks great," he said.

So he's a Padres fan?

"Is there a baseball team here?" he asked. "I didn't realize there was a baseball team in San Diego."

Not only did he not realize there was a baseball team in San Diego, he didn't even know San Diego was in San Diego.

But wait, there's more!

"I'm learning a lot of different ways of California," he said. "Is this Southern California?"

When told that, actually, San Diego was the definition of Southern California, he seemed pleased.

"I'm happy to be a Southern Californian, or whatever you want to call it," he said.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Deadspin is even more awful than usual today. Like, horribly bad. Even the commenters are freaking out.

It looks they've got a couple neo-cons subbing in for the weekend, and a couple of them have already vomited out a piece or two on the Olympics and failure to get them in Chicago for 2016. Just really terrible drivel going on over there.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I've never figured out why anyone would want the Olympics, and given how well it went the last two times the US got the games, why would they go back to us

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Who's gimmick-posting as Peggy Noonan? Leitch?

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Vitamin X said:
It looks they've got a couple neo-cons subbing in for the weekend, and a couple of them have already vomited out a piece or two on the Olympics and failure to get them in Chicago for 2016. Just really terrible drivel going on over there.

Congrats on not "getting" "irony"

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

I'm mainly talking about this article by someone named "Moe" who has apparently been writing on the site for a while now, but somehow never noticed them until that article.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

ESPN debuts "30 for 30" tonight with an examination of the Gretzky trade by Peter Berg. Everyone should watch this series, it looks to be maybe the best thing The Worldwide Leader has ever done.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

That does look good. I see they've got features coming on the Ali/Holmes fight. The death of the USFL. The Baltimore Colts leaving town. Michael Jordan's trek through baseball's minors (presented by Ron Shelton of Bull Durham fame). Terry Fox, which is a heck of a story. Steve Bartman though, can't we let that one die already?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports Media Thread

Terry Fox is a quitter.

I'm looking forward to the documentary tonight, Peter Berg is one of my favourite directors