Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I'm really debating picking up a box of the new NBA Hoopa cards that come out next week. The hobby box is ten packs of 50. I want to get all the rookies at least for autographing at games this year but I feel like I am better off just trying to but sets than dropping $100 on that box. Especially because I wasn't too enthused with most of my autograph pulls last year anyway.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bumping up this thread for the first time in a while because I bought a box of Museum Collection football that just came out yesterday, and got it for only $80 due to the card shop owner losing a super bowl bet with me, and pulled a Joe Montana autograph numbered to 25 out of it. So...I'd say I got my money's worth.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
February grading special @ BGS is $7/card for football cards, 45 day service level. You still have to pay the $2 auto fee though. I had a bunch of cards ready to go for a group sub last month and had to back out b/c of my wife getting emergency hospitalized, but I might be able to jump on this before the end of the month. I have a bunch of low #'d cards that aren't autographed that would do good in some holders.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Disappointed in my last few breaks, I've really calmed down. I bought some onsie twosies recently for potential autographs but nothing too exciting.

Pinnacle basketball set seems pretty solid, bought a few team sets and lesser recognized rookies off a seller on eBay.

Saw the 2014 Topps baseball at the Dbacks event last weekend. Seem nice enough but I will probably wait until sellers start trying to unload complete sets in Spring Training for $20 or less, if I even bother.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I always like those letter patch autographs like your Moore. I've never seen a patch like the Colston one, purely the Reebok patch. Wasn't sure they would do the "sponsor" like that but it is actually pretty cool. Makes me wonder if it brings extra "value" to the card.

Seeing this thread got bumped anyway... http://culturecrossfire.com/sports/basketball/delightfully-random-basketball-cards/#.U2ZuCPmwKM4

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I remember a buddy of mine pulling a Ray Bourque game used jersey out of the first year that Upper Deck did the jersey cards. Odds were 1:2,500. In just a couple of years they stopped making that a special card cause they were everywhere

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Being called in to appraise a collection, heading there in about 2 hours. I'm always apprehensive about this because people read the internet and think they're sitting on a goldmine just like them people on the yahoo/msn/cnn article and when I get there it's always 1989 Donruss type stuff.

This time I'm cautiously optimistic. The person making the request is late 40s and her dad died when I was a kid (friend of my father). If it's her dad's collection there could be some cool stuff from the 50s or 60s. I'll try and take pictures with my phone.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered a Box of 2014 Upper Deck Football Hobby for $104.95 with 2x 2012 Panini Absolute Football Retail Pack. Went with DaCardWorld as I've gotten higher end hits from them more so than Blowout Cards.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Im still waiting for this job to end so I can get back home and open the box of 2014 Press Pass Showbound I won for free from Blowout for correctly predicting Lonnie Ballentine as this years mr irrelevant. I know the longer they sit they the more value they lose since Press Pass is a pretty garbage product and the closer we get to NFL licensed cards coming out, the faster they fall.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Total waste of time. I found a 1994 Collectors Edition Special Edition A-Rod and a Derek Jeter from the same set. Other than that it was all the usual stuff people bring to me to look at.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Amazing Rando said:
I'm looking for something I can grab in the 40 dollar range. Either low-end hobby or even some blasters. Football, preferably. Help?

Maybe not 40, but a whole bunch of 2013 football has fallen to the $50-$60 range since nobody has any faith in that rookie class.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
The Amazing Rando said:
I'm looking for something I can grab in the 40 dollar range. Either low-end hobby or even some blasters. Football, preferably. Help?

Maybe not 40, but a whole bunch of 2013 football has fallen to the $50-$60 range since nobody has any faith in that rookie class.

I've noticed. I might just wait till later in the summer or at least till I have a slightly higher bankroll for 2014 stuff.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Score hobby boxes usually check in around the $40 price point but then you're stuck with 36 packs of about 8 cards each...

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Score hobby boxes usually check in around the $40 price point but then you're stuck with 36 packs of about 8 cards each...

I'll check them out tomorrow, maybe. I got a shop less than two blocks away and the guy is pretty reasonable with prices (tends to be 10 to 15 percent less than retail, at least).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Doing my box break now...

2014 Upper Deck Football Hobby Box
Upper Deck Authentics Rookies: QB Logan Thomas 151/430, WR Josh Huff 183/430, CB Bradley Roby 242/430

QB Aaron Murray Rookie Lettermen Autograph Jersey Patch 16/25!
aaronmurrayautopatch_zps5ed8cb59.png

WR Jared Abbrederis Rookie Lettermen Autograph Jersey Patch 03/50!
jaredabbrederisjerseyautopatch_zps83968ec4.png

RB Trey Watts Star Rookies Autograph

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most of the time I hate manufactured patches, but the sole exception is lettermen. I always like the look of those. I picked up a blaster of 2014 UD a month or so ago and got a Jeremy Gallon lettermen auto out of that, 75/75.

Edit: Did you get any short print base variations? (cards over 150 are SPs in 2014 UD)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Edit: Did you get any short print base variations? (cards over 150 are SPs in 2014 UD)

Just 2... Star Rookies LB Yawin Smallwood (#161) and Star Rookies DE Michael Sam (#243)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Saved $80.04 and picked up 1 2008 Upper Deck SPx Football Hobby Box at Blowout Cards for $69.95.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Saved $80.04 and picked up 1 2008 Upper Deck SPx Football Hobby Box at Blowout Cards for $69.95.

Very solid hit rate on this box, especially for the price. Stoked on the Peyton Manning & Matt Ryan & SJax/Westbrook in particular.

SPX Rookies: Paul Hubbard 269/299, Xavier Adibi - 259/499, Keon Lattimore 152/499, and Mario Urrutia 240/499

SPX Rookie Signatures: Dennis Dixon 39/99 and Sedrick Ellis 253/399

Winning Materials: Chad Henne 134/149 and Peyton Manning(!) 101/149
2008SPXHobbyBox-8_zps21cb3249.png

2008SPXHobbyBox-5_zps7c5213a6.png

Rookie Winning Materials: Devin Thomas 29/50, Rashard Mendenhall 56/99, and Matt Ryan 72/199
2008SPXHobbyBox-1_zpsd4608b40.png

2008SPXHobbyBox-6_zpsb19bd5be.png

2008SPXHobbyBox-2_zps045eba32.png

Winning Combos: Steven Jackson/Brian Westbrook 14/25 and Walter Payton/Cedric Benson 17/49
2008SPXHobbyBox-7_zpsb30ae625.png

2008SPXHobbyBox-4_zps168a4c62.png

Autograph Rookie Jersey: Malcolm Kelly 324/599
2008SPXHobbyBox-3_zps9bf85d3a.png

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
so Topps Chrome WWE came out today, and holy shit did the hype instantly die down once the checklist was released.

Aksana
Alicia Fox
Diamond Dallas Page
Dolph Ziggler
Fandango
Honky Tonk Man
Kane
Natalya
Roman Reigns
Sin Cara

That's EVERYBODY who has an auto card in this series. The duals have a better checklist, but they're all just numbered to 5, so..good luck.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I was an opportunistic little bastard last night and put up a Kawhi Leonard Contenders rookie auto on ebay right after he got named finals MVP. Just a few months ago that was a $30ish dollar card, but after winning finals MVP I managed to get $100 for it so..I'm pretty psyched.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Things have been spiraling out of control in the personal life with medical bills and such forcing me to throw a lot of my better cards on Ebay. I threw some BGS 10s up there, Elway, Marino, Montana, Bradshaw, Rice, and OJ Simpson rookie cards up there. Also have some stuff unrelated to sports cards also.

Anyway if anyone's bored, http://www.ebay.com/sch/corieandgreggotodisney2011/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= give it a look.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
a lot of my better cards

First thing on the other side of that link "7 mew pokemon cards"

Sorry, just made me laugh. Opened up two boxes of Bowman FB last week and while the majority of the autos I got were pretty crap, I did get an Ebron Prism auto numbered to 5 out of it, so that was pretty cool.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The old lady that lived next door to my parents fled town with her sister and told my parents to clean the house out. They found Pokemon and Magic cards in there (her sister grabbed the baseball cards). That's the only ones I have left that I haven't given to friends in the area.

The stuff requiring signing in is mostly old playboys from college on when PB gave me a $1/issue subscription.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Things have been spiraling out of control in the personal life with medical bills and such forcing me to throw a lot of my better cards on Ebay. I threw some BGS 10s up there, Elway, Marino, Montana, Bradshaw, Rice, and OJ Simpson rookie cards up there. Also have some stuff unrelated to sports cards also.

Anyway if anyone's bored, http://www.ebay.com/sch/corieandgreggotodisney2011/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= give it a look.
Spent the better part of the last 3 days listing 137 things on Ebay, mostly sports stuff. My back is killing me. Hopefully VERY soon I'll be able to start showing off new additions and not subtractions to my collection!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/don-throw-baseball-cards-article-1.1923889

1400 T206 cards graded and going to auction in January.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bumping this old thread because I have something nice to share. Went to the LCS today and bought a box of 2012 Prime Signatures for $46, and out popped this:

B2Lya5EIMAANLLN_zpsa56e3232.jpg

RG3 1/1 Printing Plate Patch Auto! Would have been a MONSTER card back in 2012, but still really nice today.

Status
Not open for further replies.