Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Influenced by @SFH I've started branching out my collection quite a bit. Picked up the following cards in addition to some MLB/NFL stuff. I can't quite go "vintage" like you and @snuffbox lol but I'm comfortable going into the early to mid 2000s.

2012 Topps U.S. Olympic Team Gold - Shawn Johnson
2012 Topps U.S. Olympic Team Games of the XXX Olympiad - Nastia Liukin
2001 SP Authentic Major Players Insert - Ben Hogan (Golf)
2003 SP Authentic Limited 38/100 - Mark O'Meara (Golf)
2004 SP Authentic SC /1965, /1966, & /1967 - Jack Nicklaus (Golf)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shoo man some of my early teen crushes were Olympians and if I was in a shop and found 96 Gymnast team autos I'd be nostalgia shopping the hell out of that. Kerri Strugg was low key one of my heroes outside of Baseball/Football/Wrestling. Those are some AWESOME pick ups

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Shoo man some of my early teen crushes were Olympians and if I was in a shop and found 96 Gymnast team autos I'd be nostalgia shopping the hell out of that. Kerri Strugg was low key one of my heroes outside of Baseball/Football/Wrestling. Those are some AWESOME pick ups
In my contribution to Brad's weekly newsletter, I mentioned Simone Biles last week and referenced Johnson/Liukin. I spent $6 on those two (just base cards, non-autos) and they are pretty well known U.S. Olympians for a couple generations of kids/teens. My other pickups were as follows...

2006 Select Gold /50 - Reggie Wayne
2006 SP Legendary Cuts Bat Piece /225 - Reggie Jackson
2007 Exquisite Collection Rookie Signatures /75 - John Smoltz & Justin Morneau, /99 - Greg Maddux (Base Cards)
2011 Playoff National Treasures NFL's Greatest /99 - Brett Favre
2018 Spectra Neon Pink /75 - Nelson Cruz

I'm still working on trying to get a Marvin Harrison card I like in my collection (same for Kurt Warner & Deion Sanders). I really like the concept behind the "bat" memorabilia cards for baseball, especially for legends. One of the ways I've worked my PC is to try and get at least 1 card of a player (some I have a lot more of by pure luck) like I picked up a couple serial #'d Hank Aaron cards before his death and they aren't super rare/super high $$ but as a collector, it's cool to say: Hey, I have these two Hank Aaron cards.

My current holy grail cards: A Mia Hamm that's not super pricey and a Harley Quinn BTAS card that isn't super pricey, lol.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score

Dominique Moceanu was my second half of the 90’s crush.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It really is beyond baffling seeing the prices of Hobby Boxes (still). Blaster Boxes (usually 6-8 Packs and roughly 20-36 Cards) are going for $70-$110 depending on the product.

A 2019-20 Chronicles NBA Hobby Box is 48 Cards for $581.17 (DACW Premiere Member price).
A 2020-21 NBA Hoops Fat Pack is 30 Cards for $29.01...
A 2020 Optic Fanatics NFL Mega Box is 40 Cards for $276.79... *Flat What?* A single 4 Card Hobby Pack of Optic is $59.27. 4 FUCKING CARDS.

For perspective this was an order I made on DACW on 01/06/2020
2019 Unparalleled Hobby Box = $99 ---- 6 Pack Blaster Box(!) is $309.94
2019 Contenders Draft Picks Hobby Box = $123 --- 7 Pack Blaster Box(!) is $257.01
2019 Certified Hobby Box = $132
2019 Panini Prizm Hobby Box = $197 --- FOTL Premium Edition Hobby Box is $820.57
2017-18 Panini Essentials 7 Pack Blaster Box = FREE GIFT ---- 7 Pack Collection (1 Blaster Box Equivalent) = $64.22

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dominique Moceanu was my second half of the 90’s crush.
My dead friend that I'm always belly aching about in the mental health thread had a crush on a girl in our high school that looked like Moceanu. Good choice, very good choice.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up a ton of Peyton Manning Inserts from 2000-2016 (including a few numbered ones) much like I did with Tom Brady. Opted for several that had Peyton/Brady (because duh) as well as a few that had Peyton/Eli, Peyton/Unitas, and a cool Peyton/Unitas/Shula one.

Total was 22 Cards for $97.30 ($4.42 per card)

Some of the ones I snagged...

2000 Topps Combos: Unitas/Manning
2001 Crown Royale Pro Bowl Honors
2001 Pacific Pro Bowl Die Cuts
2006 Donruss Threads Generations Gold: Peyton/Eli
2007 Donruss Threads Generations Gold: Manning/Montana
2007 Donruss Threads Dynasty Gold: Manning/Harrison/Wayne
2007 Playoff Prestige Super Bowl Heroes
2009 Playoff Prestige Connections: Manning/Harrison
2014 Elite Face 2 Face Silver: Peyton/Brady
2016 Classics Classic Clashes: Peyton/Brady

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I highly recommend Topps Heritage from 01-06 for player collectors. Such a great set and a throwback to when cards felt like cards. The Peytons in the span looked great.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to get a 33 Goudy of a lesser known player, just to have one. Kinda like my $17 T206 of Matty Mcintyre. That price for a Lou Gehrig, even in that condition, seems very favorable in the grand scheme of that era of vintage.

Incidentally my most recent SGC vintage sub is in "post grading" today but unlike my last submission, the population report is currently not offering any clues. To be fair, though, my last sub everything was pop 1 or 2 so I could easily note the differences. The 3 boxing cards I subbed have nearly 100 prior subs. The oval shaped tobacco card I subbed has SGC examples on ebay of other cards from that set, but I can't find the set in the pop report, so I need to see when it comes in what I'm typing wrong. I also subbed another 1938 Cricket card, it didn't go last time b/c I was trying to stay under a certain budget and it was the weakest to my eye test.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to get a 33 Goudy of a lesser known player, just to have one. Kinda like my $17 T206 of Matty Mcintyre. That price for a Lou Gehrig, even in that condition, seems very favorable in the grand scheme of that era of vintage.
There's a lot of deep options in that '33 Goudey set that you can focus on: #19 Bill Dickey, #20 Bill Terry, #22 Pie Traynor, #25 Paul Waner, #31 Tony Lazzeri, #35 Al Simmons, #44 Jim Bottomley, #56 Red Ruffing, #58 Lefty O'Doul, #61 Max Bishop, #63 Joe Cronin, #76 Mickey Cochrane, #81 Sad Sam Jones, #89 Tris Speaker, #110 Goose Goslin, #134 Sam Rice, #138 Herb Pennock, #147 Leo Durocher, #155 Joe Judge, #194 Earl Averill, #204 Riggs Stephenson, #211 Hack Wilson, #220 Lefty Grove, #223 Dizzy Dean, #229 Arky Vaughan, #230 Carl Hubbell

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I've sold a few cards this past week to try to put together a Don Vito offer for that Gehrig. I agree it's a good price range. Despite the Auth grade, it looks good in the picture. And the English/French version is the rarest version of it.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Appreciate that. I gotta see what my sport lots auctions total out to this week first. I got into a bidding war with another user on several vintage things, and well... I might be door dashing this week.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my Peyton Inserts! The HoloGrafx and Bowman Chrome are really awesome in person. If you're a fan of "shiny" those are great focuses. Gonna throw up a collection on my IG of the cooler ones although I really dig the Pro Bowl ones because they showcase Peyton in his Pro Bowl uni from the early 2000s.

I love the Brady/Peyton rivalry Inserts because they may not mean much to most people but that rivalry was basically my Bird/Magic growing up as a teenager and my early 20s in the 2000s.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
HUGE Ebay Return News for "Items That Don't Match Description"

Effective 07/29/21
Seller = No Returns. Buyer has 3 Days to file Return Claim after item is received.
Seller = 14 Days to Return. Buyer has 14 Days file Return Claim after item is received.
Seller = 30 Days/60 Days to Return. No Change.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I list my items as "no returns" but if it gets damaged en route somehow I'll still do it. Not really sure why Ebay needs to keep changing things. Maybe I've just been lucky & not had too many problems buying or selling.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I list my items as "no returns" but if it gets damaged en route somehow I'll still do it. Not really sure why Ebay needs to keep changing things. Maybe I've just been lucky & not had too many problems buying or selling.
Sounds like you've gotten lucky as I've heard a lot of issues related more to people selling ultra-modern cards where somebody tries to return the card after 3-4 weeks when it plummets in price by 45% and said buyer can't flip it for 3X or 4X like they originally intended. They also try to make excuses like, "There's scuff marks on the PSA 10 case" or "There's a scratch on the card surface," that they obviously could've noticed within 2 days of it being delivered and returned back then.

It was a blatant use of abuse by buyers who couldn't make profits and the sellers were often forced to take the cards back even if they were listed as "No Returns"

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That makes sense. And, as a seller, I'm glad for that. My luck has probably been helped by leaning toward the more stable vintage market. The new stuff has felt bubble-y to me and that always seems to bring out the shitasses.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I do want to say that market evaluation and my personal opinion on modern are quite different. For example, @HarleyQuinn I agree about how interesting/beautiful/etc many modern cards are. It's similar to my takes on the art market and the rare book market. I'm proud of my first ed and/or signed Beat era books but I also need contemporary stuff by Richard Powers or Rebecca Makkai on my shelves just as much. Not that I think they'll be as valuable as my first edition Kerouac or Kenneth Patchens, but because I love them for what they are. Just like the joy we can get from a beautiful modern Unitas/Manning card or a modern Bednarik card with his Gifford taunt pose compared to a '57 Topps Johnny U or a '50 Bowman Bednarik.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sounds like you've gotten lucky as I've heard a lot of issues related more to people selling ultra-modern cards where somebody tries to return the card after 3-4 weeks when it plummets in price by 45% and said buyer can't flip it for 3X or 4X like they originally intended. They also try to make excuses like, "There's scuff marks on the PSA 10 case" or "There's a scratch on the card surface," that they obviously could've noticed within 2 days of it being delivered and returned back then.

It was a blatant use of abuse by buyers who couldn't make profits and the sellers were often forced to take the cards back even if they were listed as "No Returns"
On the hobby boards its pretty easy to pick out the users that abuse the system in the threads promoting myslabs. "What do you mean no returns!?" type shit.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just random neat NFL Card shit I've discovered courtesy of TCDB.com

- QB Dan Marino also has Topps #124 Instant Replay and Topps #202 1983 Passing Leaders from his Rookie Year
- RB Pierre Thomas has basically 4 RC: 2007 Leaf Rookies & Stars #188, 2007 Playoff Contenders #208 Auto, 2007 Playoff National Treasures #184 Auto, 2007 Score #436
- CB Ronde Barber basically has 1 RC: 1997 SP Authentic #186 since his Collector's Choice RC is an error with pics of Reggie Brooks on both sides.
- LB Hardy Nickerson did not have a Topps RC. Just the 1989 Pro Set #353 and Score #199.
- LB Zach Thomas has 2 RCs that showcase his stats: 1996 Score Board NFL Lasers #86 and 1996 SP #91

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vintage SGC pop tagged for size:

Pretty much hammered by SGC, as expected. But can't have cards this old just mingling about my place during hurricane season, either.

dtlfRly.jpg

e7hBwUH.jpg

kUo6QiT.jpg

Fihe1Vu.jpg

PvbosYl.jpg

BsKQKnN.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Threw up my recent mail day gets on IG. Also been doing a little digging into mid 90's baseball "Junk Wax"

1996 Donruss Series 1 had roughly a shade under 50 Million cards printed by my estimates compared to 1997 Donruss Series 1 which had a shade under 65 Million cards printed whilst increasing the Hobby Box count from 115,000 to 360,000 in the course of a year.

For interest, 1999 Topps Baseball had roughly 112 Million cards printed in total (just over 283,000 Hobby Boxes).

Where this really intrigues me is that 1995 Donruss Series 2 was roughly printed at 15% less than Series 1 on top of just 17,500 Cases being made (according to baseballcardpedia), which makes me wonder what that total card print run was if it also was lesser due to the '94 Strike. In theory, this means lesser printed base cards of: Greg Maddux, Ken Griffey Jr, Fred McGriff, Jose Canseco, Wade Boggs, Manny Ramirez, Kenny Lofton, Kirby Puckett, Ivan Rodriguez, Roger Clemens, Eddie Murray, Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Larry Walker, Bo Jackson, Dennis Eckersley, and Joe Carter.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I'm bored and I just wanted to rip some football, I ordered the following from DACW for about $127. Most I spent was $19.95 for the Hanger Box and 2020 Absolute Jumbo Pack.

2010 Prestige Value Rack Pack (x2) = 80 Cards
2011 Absolute Memorabilia Jumbo Fat Pack (x2) = 80 Cards
2011 Prestige Retail Pack (x2) = 20 Cards
2014 Absolute Retail Pack (x2) = 20 Cards
2020 Chronicles Jumbo Pack = 15 Cards
2020 Playbook Hanger Box (Orange Parallels) = 30 Cards
2020 Absolute Jumbo/Fat Pack = 20 Cards
2020 Prestige Jumbo Pack = 30 Cards
Total Cards = 295 Cards so about $0.43 a card, which I can more than stomach given Hobby Box prices, etc. Any hits will be a bonus.

As a fun comparison, you could spend...
2021 Contenders Draft Picks = $199.95 for 108 Cards (Notoriously awful product break wise even the professional version too)
2021 Prizm Draft Picks = $159.95 for 60 Cards (IMO Prizm products are one of the biggest ripoff hustles in terms of cards to $$)
2020 Absolute Mega Box = $169.95 for 40 Cards. Note that you could get a Jumbo Pack for $20 at 20 Cards so you could pick up 8 Jumbo Packs at 160 Cards total for a $160 cost...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck with those packs!
Thanks! I actually never opened up an NFL Chronicles before so the only thing I really know is that they are rookie-centric and feature a variety of "brands" featured in other products. I'll do up a post next weekend (probably when my packs come) with the main results/hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.