Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a 1953 Topps Mickey Mantle (2nd year) card in the local buy/sell groups, $785.00. It's fake based on my own opinion. But I also sent the listing to the local sports card shop, owner stated "fake." But if you're looking for an opinion outside of my town, I also sent the listing to one of the top sports card dealers in the world (Chris Sewall), with one of the top hobby Youtube channels, and he responded, "That is 100% a counterfeit." Not looking to rest just on that, I reached out to the seller to ask for the chain of custody.
"A man he owned a golf course and was cleaning out His office after retirement. His home office about a decade later and would you believe was just throwing everything out including this 'Mantle piece'." (sic) I responded that based on the 53 Topps, specifically the Mantles I've handled in the past (group grading subs before doing them through facebook groups) were never that rich in color. His response that his phone makes pictures better than they are in person.

Anyway, if anyone sees a 53 Mantle in the Louisiana groups and are thinking of buying me a gift, don't do it. Ink was not that rich in 1953.

6FSPGSE.jpg

hDchcDo.jpg

daWb1fj.jpg

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ha, goodness. It'd be a lucky day to get an authentic one with about 1/3 of it torn off for that price.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The group moderator hit me up last night after I picked my computer up. We chatted and I explained my history with cards and conceded that's probably not good enough burden of proof so I also shared the opinions I got from Sewall and the local shop and so she deleted the post and thanked me for my help. It's just one source, but it's a start.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been talking about cards with a guy at the bar during Brewers games lately. Today he showed me some of his stuff, 50s-70s. None graded but clearly authentic. One if a poor-fair '55 Clemente rookie. He said he'd take $250 for it & I said I want it but that's just too low (I'm not a particularly smart man). Within the next couple weeks, I hope to buy that and a few others for a fair price.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Random WWE Hobby Box news mainly for @Baby Shoes

Topps Finest now includes a Rose Gold Refractor (#'d /75 parallel) and Topps Heritage returns after 3 years with a design centered around 1990 MLB.

I do wish Topps had deeper base rosters/cooler insert choices, especially given the legends of wrestling that they could throw in to bolster a base setlist. Something closer to the general baseball "Topps" flagship product but for WWE.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
By not doing many legends in this Heritage set, maybe they're going to do another Legends product. I wish they'd include more cut autos in these WWE. There's only so many Andre autographs available but they could be doing /10, out of /25 type cuts of George Steele, Harley Race, Thesz, Gagne, and others who lived long enough to sign plenty of things. Cut autographs are some of my favorite pulls.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It is sad seeing people think that their cards from the 80's and 90's are worth anything. I had a friend with a ton of cards from that era, he bought a becket and started pricing them out. He thought he was doing good by the fact that so many cards were worth $.25-$.50. Thinking that quantity meant something in this case. I had to break it to him that it didn't matter and he wouldn't get a fraction of what the book said they were worth. No one wants you Jim Abbot and Jose Canseco Topps cards.
Going back through this thread and I had to quote this for fun since we're almost 10 years later. A 1989 Topps Tiffany Jim Abbott PSA 10 went for $36.85 and a 1989 Donruss Jose Canseco PSA 10 ($38.00) and 1989 Fleer Jose Canseco PSA 10 ($44.00) also sold pretty well. Caveat being all were 4SharpCorners sales but that friend could've made MAD BANK, bro.

Suck on that, @Youth N Asia ;)

Gonna be getting my DACW Packs of Cards tomorrow so I'm excited for that and look forward to ripping them.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
June 14, 2020 30 day BGS submission popped on July 1, 2021. Still waiting on my tracking # to generate. Population report hasn't updated either which means checking that every few days for the last year has been a waste of time.
K0El0yb.jpg

CJHIEkd.jpg

Can't wait to have this in hand to see if I can find what I missed. Not paying for subgrades is a more affordable option, but when something grades low it drives me batty not knowing, but the bottom corners might be enough of an indicator.
9AAeu2C.jpg

Still no word on a June 7, 2020 that included a BAS Drew Brees rookie, Marques Colston Reslab, and a single 2019 National Treasures Brees card. My bulk guy thinks the Brees rookie got mixed in as a BGS instead of BAS. Still doesn't make sense that two later month June 2020 30 days have popped but the earliest is still outstanding (Not counting my non-guaranteed subs from May and June 2020, in retrospect I shouldn't have ever used NG).

Random BAS of a local guy to go pro
EUJZRqz.jpg

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Going back through this thread and I had to quote this for fun since we're almost 10 years later. A 1989 Topps Tiffany Jim Abbott PSA 10 went for $36.85 and a 1989 Donruss Jose Canseco PSA 10 ($38.00) and 1989 Fleer Jose Canseco PSA 10 ($44.00) also sold pretty well. Caveat being all were 4SharpCorners sales but that friend could've made MAD BANK, bro.

Suck on that, @Youth N Asia ;)

Gonna be getting my DACW Packs of Cards tomorrow so I'm excited for that and look forward to ripping them.
Yeah. This was forever before grading was even a thing. I have some fairly basic stuff I’d like to get graded, but by the time I was ready, PSA got a million years backed up and it’s only the most expensive ones getting through right now.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To quote Retro Hoop Collectibles on Youtube, "What are you getting graded at $200 that you weren't already going to send in at the $300 level?" That was his response to the July 1 PSA opening up an extra service level.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
That 7.5 2011 Topps Brees @SFH looks like it has a fair amount of whiting on the bottom left and right corners and that top edge looks pretty frayed/beat up. Also looks off-center from top to bottom.

Reactions: SFH

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Did my card rips. Pretty fun stuff overall including getting a couple numbered cards(!) and some solid RCs including a Playbook Joe Burrow. Ended up with about 40 cards to throw into my binder and a good 20+ cards to give to my nephew as a fun card gift.

2010 Prestige Value Rack Pack (4 Packs): RC Jermaine Gresham, RC Demaryius Thomas, Rookie Review Matthew Stafford, RC Eric Berry
2011 Absolute Memorabilia Jumbo Fat Pack (4 Packs): NFL Icons Franco Harris, Spectrum Red Kellen Winslow Jr
2011 Prestige Retail Pack (2 Packs): Xtra Points Bronze Reggie Wayne 245/250, RC Kyle Rudolph
2014 Absolute Retail Pack (2 Packs): Spectrum Red Cam Newton, Hogg Heaven RC Blake Bortles, Spectrum Red RC Sammy Watkins
2020 Chronicles Jumbo Pack: Luminance Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Omega Chase Young, Omega Brandon Aiyuk, Donruss Rated Rookie Clear Laviska Shenault Jr, Luminance Chase Claypool, Gridiron Kings Jordan Love, Panini Jerry Jeudy
2020 Absolute Jumbo Fat Pack: Blue Refractor RC Jeff Okudah 22/75, Green Marquise Brown, Green Mike Evans, Green Silver RC Devin Duvernay, Introductions Brandon Aiyuk, RC Antonio Gandy-Golden, RC D'Andre Swift, RC Michael Pittman Jr, RC Henry Ruggs, RC Tyler Johnson, RC Brandon Aiyuk
2020 Prestige Jumbo Pack: Inside the Numbers Josh Jacobs, Prestigious Pros Keenan Allen, Old School Bernie Kosar, RC Jalen Reagor, RC Zack Moss, RC Tyler Johnson
2020 Playbook Hanger Box: Zoning Commission Derrick Henry, Next Up KJ Hamler, RC Jeff Okudah, RC Joe Burrow(!), RC Tee Higgins, Orange Parallel Joey Bosa

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That 7.5 2011 Topps Brees @SFH looks like it has a fair amount of whiting on the bottom left and right corners and that top edge looks pretty frayed/beat up. Also looks off-center from top to bottom.
I'm horrible at judging centering on top/bottom. Thank you!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm horrible at judging centering on top/bottom. Thank you!
The easiest way to judge centering top/bottom is to find a focal point e.g. top of Brees' helmet or top of a logo (think Topps or whatever). Like my Black/Gold /100 Adam Vinatieri is pretty spot-on left to right but has that same issue as your Brees where the top to the helmet/BlackGold writing is noticeably fatter than the bottom up to his name. I also do a lot of picture editing in Photoshop and Lightroom Classic so I'm a pretty good judge of centering immediately.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of Boston PC Cards from Three Stars Sportscards (mostly Rob Gronkowski/Julian Edelman while they were still relatively cheap and available since both likely make the HOF down the road). Tried to go for some popular products and do a bit more color matching.

Troy Brown - 2019 Prizm Hyper
Julian Edelman - 2017 Donruss Optic Red, 2017 Prizm Blue Wave, 2018 Certified Mirror Blue, 2018 Donruss Season Stat Line, 2019 Donruss Optic Red
Rob Gronkowski - 2012 Topps Chrome Blue Refractor, 2012 Topps Supreme Blue, 2013 Topps Chrome Prism Refractor, 2016 Elite Purple, 2016 Topps Museum Collection 60th Anniversary Amethyst, 2018 Contenders Optic Blue, 2019 Prizm Red Wave, 2020 Legends of the Fall Holo
Ty Law - 2017 Phoenix Pink
Brad Marchand - 2015 O-Pee-Chee Platinum White Ice
Cam Neely - 2008-09 The Cup Gold
Patrick Roy - 2010-11 Certified Red (One of those players I wanted to have in the collection overall)
Vince Wilfork - 2013 Topps Black

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sold my first ever 1/1 over the weekend. I paid in the area of $120 for it in 2010 or 2011. Invested another $15 to get it graded. It was from 2009 National Treasures and the swatch had the Reebok logo, Brees. I had been teasing it around FB groups and Myslabs for $1200. An offer from Myslabs came in for $600. With the Myslabs rules, the sellers have more power. Nothing would happen to me if I declined or countered. If I countered, the interested party could decline my counter and move along. If I accepted, the buyer was then on the clock to pay the offer of $600 or be booted from the platform within 24 hours. It's a non auto'd card and I don't know how much of a spike Brees will have in five years at the HOF. Plus I am getting the vibe the bubble is about to burst. I hit accept. And I was paid within 8 hours.

So I packaged it up really well, box within a box with lots of bubble wrap and shipped priority. Paid off my Paypal credit card, paid off my grading guy for the last order I posted, bought a few meals on door dash, bought some more tobacco cards, and I'm not too sad about saying goodbye. I still have another 1/1 Brees from the same set that's graded 9.5 just a different swatch (the one Panini wants back and BGS refuses to acknowledge in the pop report). Plus I have other Brees 1/1 cards that ARE autographed.

After myslabs and paypal, I only had to pay around $16 in fees.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Sold my first ever 1/1 over the weekend. I paid in the area of $120 for it in 2010 or 2011. Invested another $15 to get it graded ... An offer from Myslabs came in for $600 ... I hit accept. And I was paid within 8 hours.

Awesome return of 444% on that card if you include the grading fee. A 2011 Limited Reebok Patch 1/1 sold for $300 on Ebay (raw). A 2018 Immaculate 1/1 BGS 9.5 sold for $661. A 2018 Optic Gold Vinyl 1/1 PSA 9 sold for $304.

Sounds like you got a fantastic deal on that card.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Meanwhile I have a Jimmy Graham listed in a few spots. It's not a rookie but it's a 1/1 National Treasures printing plate with subgrades 10, 10, 10, 9 for a 9.5. I have it for $250 on FB Marketplace. There's a Graham collector in Kansas that I'm usually able to lure after a few weeks but he's gone dark. I received an offer on Facebook of $150. Not unreasonable but I figured if he's good at $150, he can be good at $175 to essentially cover the Facebook fees.

"I'll pass." Jimmy better have a good preseason because he's starting to become a hard sell.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Baffling to see people still spending $300+ on Zion Williamson base RCs from the Panini Prizm set considering there are now 18,543 PSA 10s and 14,479 PSA 9s. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for something with that much of a graded amount especially in light of numbered parallels, other sets, etc.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Took some pics of my recent Boston players mail day :) The Cam Neely is a /25 from The Cup and may be my favorite card of the entire group. SUPER Thick too. The Vince Wilfork is out of /58 (Topps Black), the Elite Purple Gronk is /25, and the Marchand is an O-Pee-Chee White Platinum (beautiful in person, didn't quite capture it via camera).

IMG_0439-1.jpgIMG_0440-1.jpgIMG_0441-1.jpgIMG_0442-1.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sold my first ever 1/1 over the weekend. I paid in the area of $120 for it in 2010 or 2011. Invested another $15 to get it graded. It was from 2009 National Treasures and the swatch had the Reebok logo, Brees. I had been teasing it around FB groups and Myslabs for $1200. An offer from Myslabs came in for $600. With the Myslabs rules, the sellers have more power. Nothing would happen to me if I declined or countered. If I countered, the interested party could decline my counter and move along. If I accepted, the buyer was then on the clock to pay the offer of $600 or be booted from the platform within 24 hours. It's a non auto'd card and I don't know how much of a spike Brees will have in five years at the HOF. Plus I am getting the vibe the bubble is about to burst. I hit accept. And I was paid within 8 hours.

So I packaged it up really well, box within a box with lots of bubble wrap and shipped priority. Paid off my Paypal credit card, paid off my grading guy for the last order I posted, bought a few meals on door dash, bought some more tobacco cards, and I'm not too sad about saying goodbye. I still have another 1/1 Brees from the same set that's graded 9.5 just a different swatch (the one Panini wants back and BGS refuses to acknowledge in the pop report). Plus I have other Brees 1/1 cards that ARE autographed.

Buyer now has it on ebay for $1200.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't able to post this to IG so I sent the info in an e-mail to Brad (TheComebackCardInvestor), Andy (FantasyFootballCardQuest), and GemRate (IG). Maybe one of them will share it to the masses.

I'll post it here too but thought it was interesting stuff. Very quickly: I took the PSA 5-PSA 10 totals for 1983-2020 and figured out the Gem Rate, Mint Rate, and Nr Mint Rates for the total football cards of that year then graphed them. Most people aren't looking at PSA 4 or lower in those years so I mostly ignored those.

- The 90s onwards has seen a Mint+ (9+10 Grades) of 75% or higher with 80%+ since 2001.
- The 10s dropping/9s rising really seems to be noticeable starting with the 2016 Sets.
- 1998 & 1999 have super low Gem Rates (19.6% and 26.5% IIRC), very weird anomalies compared to the years before and after.
- 2004 onwards starts to see the Gem Rates consistently hitting 50%+.
- 1991 through 1993 are also anomalies in having 41-44% Gem Rates compared to low to mid 30s before & after.
- 1986 had the lowest Gem Rate at around 8.6% and a Mint Rate around 28%. Stupidly low and not really sure why, same for the 98/99 stuff.

psagemratedata.png

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm noticing in the hobby forums and the youtube videos, a lot of our peers are starting to conclude there's some some sort of population control going on. I'm not sure where I stand on it, it does seem some what rational that a sudden increase in submissions in the millions would include new blood not knowing what the hell they're doing (and old blood like me that still can't spot 7 centering t/b) and as such it'd skew the numbers. But at the same time, PSA changing hands and such the last few years, who knows what internal directives are being issued.

I'm not subbing PSA but I do buy PSA when appropriate. I'd like to feel confident that I'm buying a card graded in the same consistency whether it was slabbed in 2005 or 2021.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Been patient and just snagged my holy grail Harley Quinn BTAS Card for $22.50. Hopefully, it actually ships this time and I think I paid around $8 less almost for this one too.

s-l1600.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In one of my vintage lot purchases over the spring, I picked up a tobacco sized card made in Denmark, 1925. My personal research was not turning up too much, finally found a merchant in Copenhagen selling the series. One problem, I don't speak Danish and as it happens my octo-lingual Dutch friend doesn't either (mild exaggeration I think it's only six). So I went all in on Google translate English to Danish and emailed the merchant. He responded with a lot of good information, in Danish, that I was able to translate back to English with the same website. Apparently Google didn't butcher my shit too bad because he was able to acknowledge and answer everything he knew about the set (I did put a "PS I'm using Google Translate").

So, now that I have supporting documentation of the origin set from the merchant's site, plus our dialogue, I contacted my SGC guy.

SGC has a policy of "ADVANCE RESEARCH FOR NON-STANDARD ISSUE CARDS
All Turnaround dates are not guaranteed and will be completed based on resource availability.

Base Fee + Advanced Research: $60.00" that I'm trying to avoid paying. With the research I've done on my own he said I should be able to skip the $60 fee, just to print and enclose my research with the card. He did also add that since he's been running this FB group that none of his members have actually had to pay the $60 fee (but no one has subbed a card printed in 1925 with Dutch text either). There's a high probability next OT check I buy that merchant's full set. It's listed in the Dutch language as "KR 50,00" which I think converts to less than $10 USD (but when I translate it in Chrome it shows me 50 pounds instead of Krone, so I'll have to see what's what).

It's a historical card set and I am a history nerd, so it makes sense for me to grab it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It's listed in the Dutch language as "KR 50,00" which I think converts to less than $10 USD (but when I translate it in Chrome it shows me 50 pounds instead of Krone, so I'll have to see what's what).

It's a historical card set and I am a history nerd, so it makes sense for me to grab it.
Awesome stuff. Just doing a quick "conversion" via Google, the Krone 50.00 = $5.70 in USD according to current price comparisons.

• Love

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up the following 5 cards for a shade under $29: 2014 Totally Certified Platinum Gold /25 Matt Ryan, 2017 Playoff 1st Down /99 Jim Brown, 2017 Playoff 3rd Down /25 Russell Wilson, and 2014 National Convention Panini Legends Cracked Ice /25 Emmitt Smith and John Elway.

Decided to start opting for scarcer, lower serial numbered cards (still within a fair price point of course) and I think those National Convention cards will be more unique and incredibly rare as the years go on.

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Upper Deck is going to do AEW cards. First series scheduled for this November. Will include autos and relic swatches.

I don't remember if UD has ever done wrestling stuff before.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently, there were thefts (and an arrest) at The National as well as an FBI presence including IRS investigators there too overlooking things. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these IRS investigators are keeping an eye on certain individuals who may not have accurately reported last year (or the year before) for tax purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.