Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While printing plates typically don't grade well, I'd advise you to get it slabbed by BGS.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not really much of a BGS guy in general, but I really don't see the point of getting 1/1s graded. I mean, yeah, a printing plate isn't exactly a superfractor or anything, but does a 1/1 getting a high grade really improve the value more than a 1/1 raw? Isn't the main point of getting a card graded to separate it from the lesser versions of that same card?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My counter to that is that there are so many 1/1s on the market these days, that yes, a higher graded 1/1 of RG3 is more desirable than a lower graded one. Consider that most products have 4 plates for each card (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) that's 4 1/1 plates for one player, just different colors.

On my shelf I have 3 1/1s from 2008 National Treasures Drew Brees. All are autoed, all are plates, all are graded, just they are different colors. As it stands they are all 3 BGS 8 but if one was a 8.5 or higher, I'd anticipate a premium on that one.

Plus them holders are so phenomenal in protecting and preserving the cards.*

*not a BGS employee, I swear.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haha nice. Do you follow Chris, or did someone else retweet it?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Blowout's twitter feed tweeted it. It is a sweet ass card.

I admit I do get a little rain man when it comes to card grading. I live in a flood zone. In 09 a whole box of graded cards got water logged. The box was a total loss, the cards perfect. Just had to wipe some of the sludge off of the cases. Had it gone 3 inches higher it would have hit my ungraded card box and ruined them.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh cool I must have missed blowout's tweet, since I follow them too. I don't do much grading cause, honestly, I rarely get cards worth grading. I'm thinking about finally doing it though for some of my football cards (that one, a Wilson triple jersey rookie auto /49, Wilson rookie auto /49, a Kaep jersey rookie auto /35)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you sign up for the BGS forums there's a guy named Jeff who facilitates 20 day group sub grading for like $6.25 a card no minimum submission and only $1 extra for auto grades(I think it's over $10/card normally). Last month he submitted 2000 cards for people. You just have to get on his good side and he'll invite you. Also in the football sub forum there's a female user who once every three months does a 45 day open sub for around $7/card no minimum submission and no extra auto cost.

Also, Blowout hosts group subs as well.

There's one user on BGS forum who hosts group subs, a NY Giants fan, but I was advised on research to not go through him because he is a middle man for a third party and THAT third party submits to BGS.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Has anyone been following the saga of Jason Mars and his "Honus Wagner" card?

He purchased it on Ebay for less than $200: http://www.wthr.com/story/26545391/2014/09/16/nevada-man-snags-rare-honus-wagner-baseball-card and was scared it would be fake but upon receiving in the mail, he just knows it is real.

Even though the listing says reprint: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collectible-1909-T-206-Honus-Wagner-Baseball-Card-Sweet-Caporal-Antique-/171439808784?pt=US_Baseball&nma=true&hash=item27ea9be110&si=jcgCvAy3tNo6Tx6HcSndWru1W1c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 he and the seller states it has to have the word "reprint" since he cannot provide a COA.

Hobbyists from a few forums including blowout forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/775002-honus-wagner-t206-sold-ebay-170-a.html) pointed out to Mr. Mars on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/jason.mars?fref=ts) that the seller sells LOTs and LOTS of reprint cards. Mr. Mars then flew off the handle and has spent the better part of 2 months talking himself in circles on Facebook that it is real despite multiple amounts of evidence pointing to reprint.

He has since supposed to have been sending it to both PSA and SGC for authentication and neither have done so. He's since discredited them as not knowing what they're talking about (which considering the Gretzky Wagner PSA 8 card...) and is instead relying on vague unnamed experts. At random points Mr. Mars refers to himself as an expert card grader with 30 years of experience.

Many hobbyists have started following him on Facebook, some approaching civilly, others not so much, trying to reason with him that he is NOT sitting on a valuable card, but he won't have any of it. He is planning on selling it and securing the estimated $500k - $1 million that it should bring, but it looks like hobbyists are not going to allow him to pull a fast one on some unsuspecting person of wealth.

It is interesting being a spectator in this. Part of me thinks this man is possibly mentally ill (married with children) and another part of me thinks he is a straight up con man based on hobbyists digging up a criminal history.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
About to send my contact some cards for grading, $6.25/card. Anyone want in? PM me for details. We can CC an admin for peace of mind if needed.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been trying to cut back on my card purchases lately, but I just HAD to buy 3 boxes of 2014 Leaf Originals Wrestling today, and I'd say I fuckin murdered the 3 boxes.

Box 1:

Adam Bomb
2 Cold Scorpio
Sandman yellow /99
Scott Hall
Ric Flair vs Hulk Hogan yellow dual /25

Box 2:

Demolition Ax
Adam Bomb alternate art
Maryse yellow /99
Iron Sheik alternate art
Robert Gibson yellow alternate art /25

Box 3: (hot box)

King Kong Bundy Cyan 1/1 printing plate auto
Hulk Hogan yellow alternate art /10
Bobby Heenan yellow /50
Scott Hall red alternate art /5
Ron Simmons blue /25

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I sent the following 20 cards (not all are sports):

1 Baseball 1 2004 UD Diamond Pro Sigs Frank Thomas

2 Baseball 1 1998 Upper Deck Retrospectives Frank Thomas

3 Baseball 1 1990 Pan Am Team USA Red BDK Frank Thomas

4 Magic 1 1994 Revised Edition Kird Ape

5 Nonsports 1 1959 Three Stooges Always on the go

6 Nonsports 1 1959 Three Stooges I Never Miss…

7 Nonsports 1 1959 Three Stooges C'mon Curley - The horse…

8 Football 1 2011 National Treasures Century Gold Pierre Thomas 05/10

9 Football 1 2012 National Treasures Century Materials Jimmy Graham 26/49

10 Football 1 2012 National Treasures Century Gold Jimmy Graham 06/10

11 Football 1 2009 Exquisite Collection Marques Colston 05/80

12 Football 1 2011 National Treasures Century Gold Marques Colston 10/10

13 Football 1 2008 National Treasure Gold Drew Brees 1/5

14 Football 1 2009 National Treasures Colossal Materials Drew Brees 10/50

15 Football 1 2013 National Treasures Century Materials Drew Brees 45/49

16 Football 1 2009 National Treasures League Leaders Brees/Brady/Romo/Favre 64/00

17 Baseball 1 1998 Upper Deck Wonder Years Frank Thomas

18 Baseball 1 2009 Upper Deck 20th Anniversary Frank Thomas

19 Magic 1 1994 Revised Edition 122 Howling Mine

20 NonSports 1 1956 Topps US Presidents Warren G Harding

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just got some stuff back from a 5 card sub, spoiler tagging due to size of pictures:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If anyone wants to go in - $7/card, 45 day service level no auto surcharge at BGS. MY contact is shipping on Feb10 so please have them to my by Feb 5 to give me time to package and mail as well. If interested shoot me a PM.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joined a card trading group on Facebook to get rid of some of this excess I have. I open with "Here are scans of these low dollar items. I don't have many high end items anymore as I sold off everything from teams that aren't the Saints. I'm looking for Saints cards of equal value."
I'm flooded with messages, "DO YOU HAVE TOM BRADY ROOKIE AUTO CARDS? WHAT ABOUT PEYTON MANNING ROOKIE AUTOS? AARON RODGERS ROOKIE AUTOS? WHAT ABOUT RICHARD SHERMAN OR JJ WATT ROOKIE AUTOS?" WTF people?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well it's Facebook. No matter what the community, facebook is going to be a huge massive grouping of idiots.

Meanwhile, I just place two of my Wilson rookie autos on eBay, timed to end just after the Super Bowl ends. I sure hope that I'm right and they win, otherwise it could be a mistake.

Edit: Yikes, they were actually only up for 24 hours. Good thing I noticed that and was able to edit them before anyone had a chance to bid on them.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Personally I'd have them go up the day after the Superbowl ended. I'm sure eBay traffic gets historically low while the Superbowl is on. And probably not too busy just after it ends.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Assuming the Seahawks win, immediately after the super bowl ends is the best time, because that's when everyone is looking to get something. The longer you wait the more the high dies down and the demand lowers. Same thing as when the Spurs won the title last year and Kawhi won MVP. I had a Kawhi auto that before the playoffs was going for like $30. I sold mine for $100 immediately after the finals ended, and now it's back down to like $40 again.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone that pay pals me $10 and their address will get a binder of their favorite football team or baseball team. Most teams guaranteed 300+ cards (check with me on specifics). All base commons.

Already taken: Patriots, Cowboys, Dolphins, Falcons. Awaiting for confirmation from 49ers and Chiefs.

OR we can just swap your team for my team as long as it's reasonably equal.

Above is the crux of what I've been posting in trade groups. Responses: HEY MAN YOU GOT ANY ANDREW LUCK ROOKIE AUTOS?! WHAT ABOUT JJ WATT OR RICHARD SHERMAN!?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Assuming the Seahawks win, immediately after the super bowl ends is the best time, because that's when everyone is looking to get something. The longer you wait the more the high dies down and the demand lowers. Same thing as when the Spurs won the title last year and Kawhi won MVP. I had a Kawhi auto that before the playoffs was going for like $30. I sold mine for $100 immediately after the finals ended, and now it's back down to like $40 again.

Verdict?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They ended up going for $162.50 and $113.50 and didnt receive any additional bids after the game started...and then the guy who was the high bidder on both of them said he wouldnt be paying for them since the Seahawks lost. I fuckin hate how theres NO consequence on ebay for fuckers like that. Oh well, I get to keep the cards. I'm not too worried about them losing much value.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered 1 2014 Upper Deck SPx Football Hobby Box from Blowout Cards for $73.95

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Just ordered 1 2014 Upper Deck SPx Football Hobby Box from Blowout Cards for $73.95

Did my box break... Also got Drew Brees, Brandin Cooks, and Derek Carr parallels refractors.

125/249 Zach Mettenberger Autograph & Jersey
IMG_0197_0016_zpswa2q8beu.jpg

Winning Materials Combo: Lache Seastrunk & Jeremy Hill
IMG_0196_0015_zpsaqm4pewc.jpg

104/299 Ryan Shazier Autograph
252/299 Timmy Jernigan Autograph
IMG_0198_0017_zpsc5bfy49l.jpg

237/799 Odell Beckham Jr Finite Rookies Medallion
IMG_0195_0014_zpsn9nkqz4k.jpg

563/799 Davante Adams Finite Rookies Medallion
795/799 Bishop Sankey Finite Rookies Medallion

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I tried a couple boxes of 2011 Panini Limited Cuts a few weeks ago. It's a one card per box thing; the one card being a cut autograph. They had been $200-225 per but now back down to earth at the 50-60 range. First one had Riggs Stephenson, a Cub from the 1920s-30s. Not bad. The second try was Pee Wee Reese. And that was awesome.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This motherfucker on COMC.com will not negotiate for shit. And he's a power seller so it's not like he isn't able to turn offers off. I've made 50%, 33%, 25%, 15% up to just offering $.01 off total to be an ass. He still declines.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Anyone that pay pals me $10 and their address will get a binder of their favorite football team or baseball team. Most teams guaranteed 300+ cards (check with me on specifics). All base commons.

Already taken: Patriots, Cowboys, Dolphins, Falcons. Awaiting for confirmation from 49ers and Chiefs.

OR we can just swap your team for my team as long as it's reasonably equal.

Above is the crux of what I've been posting in trade groups. Responses: HEY MAN YOU GOT ANY ANDREW LUCK ROOKIE AUTOS?! WHAT ABOUT JJ WATT OR RICHARD SHERMAN!?
Hey man I'm not really into cards at all but I'd totally paypal you $10 for a binder of White Sox cards if you've got one.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The problem with the white sox binder is that Frank Thomas cards were pulled out a long time ago into a separate binder since he's my favorite all time baseball player.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up the following from DaCardWorld... Also saved an additional $5 with this site: DaCardWorld Discount Codes

2014 Upper Deck Quantum Football Hobby Box: $109.95 (on clearance from $343)
2009 Upper Deck SP Authentic Football Hobby Box: $82.95 .... Mainly going for the big names of Stafford & McCoy.
Free Gift: 5x 2012 Panini Absolute Football Retail Pack

I've decided to start jumping on clearance deals more too. They aren't necessarily bad product (usually) and if the warehouse is dumping them, may as well save the $$ and possibly get some hits.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
For anybody into card collection, Dave Jamieson's Mint Condition is a great read although it sticks to just baseball cards.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So just did my box break... The 2009 Upper Deck SP Authentic was a bust as I kind of expected tbh. Got signatures /299 of LB Brian Cushing and LB Clay Matthews.

2013-2014 Upper Deck Quantum Football more than made up for it though, especially since it cost me only $108!

31/35 Autograph WR Tavon Austin
18/65 RB Johnathan Franklin
65/65 QB Zac Dysert
61/75 Authentic Jersey WR Kenny Stills
24/85 Autograph Jerseys WR Aaron Dobson
117/175 Rookies WR Odell Beckham Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.