Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So CardDojo will be doing the reaction video on Saturday (package confirmed as arrived earlier this afternoon) and my 72 card GMA order should be here on Thursday, 10/22(!) for an insane 11 business day turnaround from when I handed my package over at the UPS Store to its eventual return.

Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Put a priority package, NOLA to East Texas in the mail Monday morning. Needs to be there for Thursday. Tracking estimate says Friday. urghhhhh. (It's a through the mail auto event, one of the few players I don't have from the Super Bowl Roster, punter Thomas Morstead).

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'm more of a long term collector but just having this stuff graded and it's almost 99% serial #'d product or Jersey card stuff. I've also been very picky about what I've sent in so it's helped that I've targeted HOFers/Legends or local Boston players to flip easier if I have to down the road compared to sending in 8 base Ja Morants or 14 base Luis Roberts and hoping they get 10s on the majority of them at a PSA.

One of the things I've also tried to do is invest cheap and guarantee an easier profit margin. If I spent $3, $4, or $5 on a card and $5 ($8-$10 total) to have it graded, it's a lot easier trying to flip it for even just $15-$20 (or more) then trying to buy a raw at $60 and send it in to be graded at $10 (so $70 total) hoping I can get a PSA 10 and sell it for $250+. The profit there is much higher but the initial investment is also higher with the assumption that the market sustains itself/keeps the discrepancy of a PSA 10 so high over a longer period of months.

Mookie Betts 2014 Topps Update #US26 GMA 10 is a perfect example. Can get it for $90 Raw, $5 to be graded so that's $95. Sold BIN for $199.99 + $4.05 shipping = $204.04 so the actual profit was +$109.04 minus whatever the Ebay fees are. And that's assuming you picked up that Mookie raw at the $90 price and not far cheaper a while ago at say $15 or $25.
You're making really good, rational decisions in all of this.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It helps I'm pretty constrained in my budget in general and try to aim for $10/Card maximum with a handful of exceptions. Also going for scarcity, whether it's "manufactured" (e.g. /10, /50, etc.) or built-in e.g. targeting harder to pull parallels.

I've also studied the market via Card Ladder and learned from long term sales that the GOAT legends pay off far better 10-15 years down the road than 2 or 3 years (the book Intelligent Investor made some great points on this). Even decent to good players can pay off better. If you go in expecting 3x or 4x ROI in 2 years thanks to the current market and it dips hard, you're gonna be burned way more than holding Drew Brees until 2030 and seeing a solid 2.5x or 3x ROI on a price paid 6 years ago.

Curious if you can even recall the initial prices you've paid for your Drew Brees and done a comparison via Excel or Hand-Written of those prices compared to what they'd sell for now?

What also helps is that because I'm looking at this long term, the market fluctuations don't affect me. If my GMA 10 /25 Tyreek Hill swings from $15 to $90 throughout the next 2 years, so be it. Maybe he never amounts to anything more than a decent or good WR but if he can win 2 or 3 Super Bowls being the Lynn Swann or John Stallworth to Mahomes' Bradshaw, that card will see far more value in 2030 than in 2021.

One interesting thing I'm noticing is that graded relic cards can hold value and they don't even need high grades. If one can pick them up cheap and they are a big name + grade well... Threw in the Michael Vick as an example of a 'long term' hold that could've paid off if picked up when he went to jail and sold over 15? years later. 2015 Mike Trout GMA 8 = $22.72 2019 D.K. Metcalf GMA 7 = $20.00 2014 Johnny Evers SGC 6 = $25.00 2001 Michael Vick Bowman SGC 10 = $99.99

Regarding the 2nd Paragraph, take note of this example as kind of my thinking towards Sports Cards. Let's say you jumped into the Stock Market in 2009 so about 11 years ago (let's use 12-01-2009 as the start date). I'll keep prices rounded down/up for ease. I look at my collection like it's S&P 500 long term. I may lose some $$ here and there but as a whole, my ROI and profit should be well positive.

S&P 500 = 1,104 in 2009. Now it's at 3,448 today. Almost a 3.5x ROI. Think Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky.
Crude Oil = 79 in 2009. Now it's at 40. Almost a 2x Loss. Think Ryan Howard or Michael Redd.
Gold = 1,095 in 2009. Now it's at 1,906. Almost a 2x ROI. Think Drew Brees or Shaquille O'Neal.
Bitcoin = 320 in 2014. Now it's at 11,838. Dipped from a peak of 16,000+ down to just under 4,000 in 2018 to start of 2019. Think Zion Williamson or Luka Doncic. Fantastic crazy ROI unless you picked it up at or near its peak... then you've still lost money (almost $4,000) even now nevermind how much was lost when short term buyers (aka "flippers") panicked and tried to sell fast to minimize their losses.

Last edited:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know for sure the most I've ever paid for a single card was a BVG 6 Terry Bradshaw rookie card for $130, and was no where able to sell it for close to that a few years later in a desperate situation raising cash. None of my Brees autos have exceeded $120, pre grading, but the last one I bought was a 2/3 from 2010 National Treasures and was able to flip for $130 in another pinch (I regret selling that one).

The auto'd printing plates from 08 were $80-100 each, some how managed to find 3/4 of the plates from that set. I have no plans to sell those. The 2007 National Treasures set has a serial #'d to 10 Laundry tag card for each player, was able to track down 8 of 10 and those were anywhere from $50-$90 depending on ending time of the auction. There was a 9th one on the BGS board years ago, I offered the owner the moon for it and he declined.

As far as what I see stuff selling for in 2020, I am seeing much higher prices for Brees stuff, which has made it harder to buy things in the auto game. Jersey cards are all over the place depending on the set. I'm still able to get base cards for reasonable, but that's not surprising.

Take it how you will, but casual collectors have been willing to pay a little more for graded singles lately and I do get a lot of repeat business from locals when I list duplicates. I can easily sell a 9.5 base for 25-30 bucks on a good day. A PSA 10 Brees I bought for 50, I listed for $100 and was able to agree on 75 with a buyer. So there's profit to be made when I'm lucky, but I might start subscribing to your newsletter as you seem much more educated on the flip side of the hobby.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Take it how you will, but casual collectors have been willing to pay a little more for graded singles lately and I do get a lot of repeat business from locals when I list duplicates. I can easily sell a 9.5 base for 25-30 bucks on a good day. A PSA 10 Brees I bought for 50, I listed for $100 and was able to agree on 75 with a buyer. So there's profit to be made when I'm lucky, but I might start subscribing to your newsletter as you seem much more educated on the flip side of the hobby.

;) For me, it's just a lot of trend studying & trying to apply basic 'Investing' principles to the market (not too dissimilar to how you'd treat the Stock Market). IMO, now is a horrible time to be buying cards (says the guy who picked up a HQ card for $20 raw *cough*) if they are graded or commanding a premium raw. With that said, I use Beckett like it's the last flea market on Earth and would rather buy a card raw & send that in to be graded then buy a graded card unless it's a super personal PC card.

Realistically, your goal should be to make a minimum 1.5x profit on any card you sell (e.g. the Brees you sold). Doesn't matter if that's selling a $2 card for $3, a $12 card for $18, or a $500 card for $750. Sometimes you'll strike out but overall, that should be your target baseline. Use sites like 130point.com and see what those 9.5 bases are selling for and stay firm on that price. If you know that 9.5 base can sell for $30 on a good day, why not offer it at $50? Worst case scenario, you have to come down to $40 then $30 anyway but the sale takes a little longer. Best case scenario, you sell it at $50 or even $40 and make more of a profit than in the past selling it at $30.

I sold 3 cards on COMC. Purchase price was $35.21 (including a PSA 9). My sales total was $57.50 (slightly undersold my PSA 9) but I made slightly over a 1.6x return on those 3 cards thanks to getting 2x on a couple Silver Prizms. The key is to know what the demand is price wise and aim for that price first. Be willing to negotiate a little but remember: You are selling this card. There's no written law that you have to negotiate a price with the buyer. For me personally, if I ever sell cards on Ebay, I'm listing them at a fair market BIN price with no offers. Take it or leave it and I'll gladly wait it out. I'd rather wait 3 months and get the sale at my initial $100 asking price (especially if that card's been selling for say $120) than panic after 2 weeks and settle for $65.

The 2001 PSA 9 Drew Brees (Base Topps RC) 2 years ago was fluctuating between as low as $32 and as high as $90 into January of 2020. The BGS 9 was seeing similar trends. It's dipped a little bit recently but sales are still at $137 - $150 and again, that's a BGS 9... This market is insane. Dan Marino's Rookie PSA 10 was $50 - $75 in 2010 and was pretty consistently between $100 and $130 from 2014 to 2018. Somebody could've easily gotten 2x or even 3x from that card just in the normal market. Even in May, it had basically doubled in price and would've guaranteed a 4x sale if somebody had picked it up for just $50 in 2010 just 10 years later.

I target serial #'d stuff in case the bubble bursts and raw base or even graded base plummets. People are gonna look at serial #'d cards and I'll already be ahead of the curve somewhat in that regard. I know there's only 24 other copies of my Tyreek Hill card or Optic Travis Kelce card in the entire world. I know there's only 4 other Brad Marchand cards in the world. As a bonus, my copy is graded (by GMA but still) giving it a slightly better boost in value as well.

I'd advise you to start keeping a Google Doc or Excel Spreadsheet or even a handwritten log: Player Name - Card - Graded? - Purchase Price/Investment Price (Purchase + Grading Cost) - Sales Price - Profit
Example: Drew Brees - 2001 Topps RC - Y PSA 9 - $75 - $135 - +$60. That will give you a better idea of what you've picked up and at what cost, what you've sold the card(s) at, and how much of a profit you made. You can even throw in a 'Date' header as a reference as well if you sold a Brees at X in 2018 and you're seeing it at Z Price in 2020 then you can expect to sell it at Z Price instead.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My wife did make me an excel file PRE life falling apart in 2013 and having to sell a large scale amount of stuff. I've accumulated since then, but at least I have a baseline idea of what to do. It was mostly for tracking the cards that are graded by serial #, grade, and subgrades. Now that sub grades cost a premium price, I might have to tinker around on that part. I still have some pre-2013 PC stuff but it'd take me a while to sync that document with current events. But yeah, I'd be starting brand new on what items cost.

My best record keeping right now is with the BGS registry: I still am #1 with Drew Brees graded, though.

Looks like BGS is deleting pictures again. Just noticed the very first card registered is missing the back scan, and the front scan is my old combo scanner and not my perfection scanner. That's going to bug me until I can get to addressing it.

EDIT: looks like only one of my Frank Thomas scans are with the new scanner. Either I over looked updating my scans on the registry or they didn't save. I know I scanned everything over a period of time and backed them up on a hard drive, so at least I have that.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My wife did make me an excel file PRE life falling apart in 2013 and having to sell a large scale amount of stuff. I've accumulated since then, but at least I have a baseline idea of what to do. It was mostly for tracking the cards that are graded by serial #, grade, and subgrades. Now that sub grades cost a premium price, I might have to tinker around on that part. I still have some pre-2013 PC stuff but it'd take me a while to sync that document with current events. But yeah, I'd be starting brand new on what items cost.

My best record keeping right now is with the BGS registry: I still am #1 with Drew Brees graded, though.

Awesome stuff. I'd probably try and get that 2006 Upper Deck XL Jerseys card re-graded unless the surface issue is as bad as the 3.5 grade warrants considering the other sub-grades on it. I've updated my own Excel file after the last post. I have about $1,000+ in 261 cards at the moment (threw in a few cards I had pulled from boxes that I got graded). My average purchase price is just $4.15. For a lot of my box cards, I just gave a flat $2.00 purchase price because a lot of those boxes were like $95 for 120 cards type stuff and I didn't feel like getting into the minutiae of whether my Baker Mayfield Rated Rookie was $2.00 or $3.25 or $1.75 or whatever.

One thing I've noticed is even "busts" still sell a little bit: Johnny Manziel 2014 Topps #429 RC PSA 10 sold for $20.50 (9 Bids). Johnny Manziel 2014 Topps Chrome #169 RC PSA 10 sold for $22.50 (15 Bids). DeShaun Foster 2002 UD Making the Grade Level 2 #153 RC Autograph PSA 10 sold for $35 back at the start of September. Even a Pierre Thomas 2010 Topps Chrome #C111 RC sold for $14.41 in mid-September.

Last edited:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed it at the time, but there's a HUGE wrinkle on the rear side of the card behind the jersey swatch. It's face palm levels of bad when I realized it.

Busts sell because there're still some very dedicated collegiate collectors out there. I'm impressed with the PT sale. I have a dedicated binder for him, I might be grading it out in time, we'll see.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that Pierre Thomas sale and was pretty surprised. A little surprised that Ricky Williams isn't selling that highly but 1999 Bowman's Best RC for $18.99 and 1999 Topps Finest RC for $19.37. But his autos still fetch $100+ and his Bowman Chromes can net $35-$45. A Devery Henderson 2004 Upper Deck went for $10.05 as well. Worth noting that this Aaron Brooks/Tim Couch 2003 Ultimate Collection Dual Jersey /25 went for $14.00 raw on 10/13 but then other Aaron Brooks Autos or Jersey cards are going for $2 to $5 raw at most. So right now it is very touch and go and dependant on the player/card set/grade. This Sam Mills 1989 Topps #155 PSA 9 went for $14.95 (1988 Topps is his NFL RC) but I've noticed a lot of listings also taking advantage of "pop reports" and trying to use them in their titles e.g. that Sam Mills touting it as a Pop Report of 6 PSA 9s in existence.

For fun here's a comparison of David Justice and Jay Buhner, both solid power hitters with 300+ career HRs: 1990 Leaf #297 PSA 10 going for around $37 to $40. 1990 Classic III #T97 PSA 10 went for $24.99 back in early September. A random base 1996 Fleer #294 PSA 10 went for $19.99(?!?). Now Jay Buhner = 1988 ProCards RC PSA 10 for $32.99 and 1988 Donruss Rookies #11 PSA 10 for $31.99. His Topps Tiffany stuff was going for $35-$40 back in late July and August as well.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My 72 card GMA submission came back! Breakdown is as follows: 10s = 14 (19% Gem Rate), 9s = 24, 8.5s = 19, 8s = 12, and 7s = 3. I'll do a more detailed breakdown in another post but I'm super ecstatic that my 2/5 Brad Marchand and 03/25 Barry Sanders got 10s. Also getting 10s was a Vlad Jr Auto, my David Pastrnak Dual Jersey, a couple Mike Trouts, the Optic Walter Payton, and NT Fournette & Cook Dual Jersey. Surprised at the Jersey cards as they are notoriously tough to even get 9s on.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The 7s were a 2014 Bowman Gold /75 of DHop, a 2005 Topps Luxury Box /200 Ray Allen (I expected an 8 at most for that one), and my 1992 Upper Deck McDonald's Michael Jordan which I've literally owned since I was like 7 years old so I was impressed it actually got a 7.

8s included a 2002 Bowman Gold Auto Albert Pujols (it was pretty off-centered front and back), my 2015 SP Authentic Dual Auto /25 of Spezza/Benn which will always be a personal favorite card, and about 6 jersey cards including an /25 Stafford and /35 Willie Brown.

The notable 8.5s included my 2002 SPx /199 Joe Thornton, a bunch of the Randy Johnson cards, and 6 jersey cards including the NT /99 A.J. Brown/DK Metcalf, 2006 Ultra Ed Reed Jersey, 2014 A.J. Green Auto Patch, the Saints /49 Team Trios Jersey card, the Ronnie Lott /25 card, and the 2014 David Krejci Triple Jersey /99 card.

The 9s included: 2018 Topps John Smoltz Gold /50, Miles Sanders Unparalleled RC Auto /25, the Rod Woodson /25, the Jerome Bettis /750 Major Factors insert card, 2018 Topps Clayton Kershaw LL Black /67, Travis Kelce /25 Optic Black * Richard Sherman /25 Optic Black (I really thought both were an 8.5 at best), the Ricky Williams /15 Classics Auto, and 6 Jersey Cards including a box pulled 2008 SPx /149 Peyton Manning, the /35 LaDanian Tomlinson, and the NT Quad of Barkley/Chubb/Michel/Penny.

Kind of impressed that of my 21 Jersey Cards submitted, about 8 ended up with a 9 or better.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If nothing else, you're a good credible advocate for GMA. I saw someone throwing shade at them on Blowout. I considered mentioning your experiences, but not my battle and not my place to be putting your business out there.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
If nothing else, you're a good credible advocate for GMA. I saw someone throwing shade at them on Blowout. I considered mentioning your experiences, but not my battle and not my place to be putting your business out there.

I've seen videos by both K.B. Sportscards and TopChop that take on the "myths" surrounding GMA. I think a lot of the posters throwing shade at GMA are just pissed/scared that it could impact their precious PSA sales, which is ironic since a lot of posts specifically mention that GMA is a great avenue for PC cards and buyers typically try to break/send those GMA cards to PSA anyway.

Edit: Saw the post and just had to go at him. I didn't even get his points like... so GMA didn't include two words on their label and he still got a PSA 9, which is solid, so??

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think you're right about why certain people are attacking GMA. That and the usual suspicion of the new kid, as it were.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Going through my GMA grades and they know what they're doing. 10s are just super, crispy sharp looking. 9s are usually very good but they're either off-center slightly or have slight corner wear/a little white. 8.5s the centering is usually off immediately or there's multiple corner wear on the front & back areas.

Worth noting that Probstein and PWCC are now selling GMAs on Ebay so I consider that a little bit of lent credibility (as iffy as that may be).

I did see a few Tom Brady 2000 rookie cards (GMA 10, 9, and 8.5 IIRC) at $399, $299, and $149 respectively. PSA has them incredibly low/hard to get 10s (pop control IMO) and the GMAs all looked fantastic even the 8.5. Curious what those sales end up being.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Jumped all over a 2 Card Lot of Greg Maddux 1987 Fleer Update RC GMA 10s for $30 + $6.95 Shipping. For comparison, the PSA 10s are going for $90 to $100 individually, so I basically paid $18.48 for both. Should be getting them by November 2nd!

For comparison, there's 730 10s at PSA with a Gem Rate of 9.7%. The '87 Donruss is 8.5% at PSA. Maddux's RC in general have a super low gem rate at PSA so I just had to jump on the above value.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So PSA has a 5.12% Gem Rate for '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr and 5.57% Gem Rate for '89 Fleer Griffey Jr. Decided to do a quick comparison test at the value one can get. Just baffling to me that PSA and SGC 10s are going for literally 8-11X the price of a GMA that looks just as sharp. I did see a chuck1110baseball put up his GMA 10 at $1,400 so good on him. The card looks super frickin' sharp and would get a PSA 10 if it wasn't for pop control. Also, further proof that if you "buy the card" instead, you can get some massively great deals as opposed to buying the label.

PSA 10 Upper Deck: $1,500, $1,553.88 (59 Bids), $1,500 (2 Bids), $1,400
SGC 10 Upper Deck: $1,000, $638.65 (19 Bids), $5,500, $1,300
GMA 10 Upper Deck: $175 (1 Bid), $148.02 (26 Bids), $117.50 (25 Bids), $199, $177.81 (5 Bids), $275

PSA 10 Donruss: $326.01 (38 Bids), $369.99, $350, $326.04 (30 Bids)
GMA 10 Donruss: $37 (2 Bids), $31 (13 Bids), $30, $38 (14 Bids)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed it at the time, but there's a HUGE wrinkle on the rear side of the card behind the jersey swatch. It's face palm levels of bad when I realized it.

Busts sell because there're still some very dedicated collegiate collectors out there. I'm impressed with the PT sale. I have a dedicated binder for him, I might be grading it out in time, we'll see.
Working on fixing my scans in the Brees registry and the high res scan for the BGS 4.5 2006 card isn't in my master drive. Methinks it must have gone into a donation pile at some point. So I've deleted it from the registry. But, everything up to 2006 is scans with my Epson Perfection V550 I was gifted in 2017.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shawn aka TheCardDojo opened my care package :)

It's like a who's who of Chiefs with a special appearance by some Giants greats too. That Kennison #'25 was a pleasant surprise (had had a cup of coffee in NOLA). The Dante Hall, was that game dirt or discoloration?

Either way, these kinds of videos are better than box breaks because of the variety, and you REALLY delivered. Great job!!!

I finally finished fixing the scans for my Brees registry. That was a task. Going to dive into my Frank Thomas registry next.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
When you do your scans, do you do a face up/face down and have them sent to an e-mail account/your computer directly?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
USB hook up to a laptop, which just got a new laptop so I haven't installed the software yet on the new one. It unfortunately doesn't do wireless scanning to any way I can figure out. I do groups of four face down then flip them over to scan the back. I was at one point using a neon green ruler to balance/even out which was a bad call, some edges in some pictures occasionally have a slight green reflection. One of the card scanning guides I've read say to just use an extra card. I also try to frequently wipe the glass with a soft cloth eye glass cleaner.

I've also found that a lot of fellow collectors scan with the lid UP which allows for the card to pop with a black background as opposed to the white background when you scan with the lid down. So, that's something for me to consider, scanning everything again with the lid up. Of course, I've been sleeving my slabs with ultra pro graded card sleeves with a sticky seal so that means unsealing that.

There's also a whole word of settings and such to play with that are over my head. I just need to make sure in the future to be consistent with the DPI settings at the very least. Anything north of 600 is just wasting space it seems, plus the registry doesn't allow uploads over 2.1 MB.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, 300 DPI is more than enough. 600 tends to be if you want to enlarge an image.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Was watching a video on YT of Sam Dunks talking with a graphic designer who collects cards and it was interesting to see some discussion of aesthetics and eye appeal, mainly focusing on Vince Carter. A lot of the discussion centered around how certain cards may have a visual appeal that are outliers compared to say Prizm, Select, or Optic and that they may hold better long term upside due to design uniqueness. This also would explain why if you look at say 10 cards of a player, a jumble of them just begin to blur together. Just for comparison, I decided to compare several rookie cards of Mike Trout. It's interesting to see that the Topps Finest kind of pops the most for me yet the Topps Update is the most "iconic" the grouping in part because it's an action shot and has more immediate pop by sharpening Trout & the lighter coloring overall to catch the eye. But only 1,123 of the Topps Finest have been graded by PSA compared to 8,485 of the Topps Update base.

58238-3085832RepFr.jpg
62031-3842951Fr.jpg
58503-94Fr.jpg
58579-3141207Fr.jpg
60067-3509490Fr.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of my grading mentors advises that when you do subs, don't submit multiple copies of the same card as they'll also blur together for the grader's eye. I try not to do a stack of the same card nor the same set when possible based on that advice.

Agree on the Prizm, Optic, et al eye appeal. Even just a base with no auto or jersey swatch looks great shined up and in a proper holder.

Also BGS marketplace is having a sale from select sellers for Halloween.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my grading mentors advises that when you do subs, don't submit multiple copies of the same card as they'll also blur together for the grader's eye. I try not to do a stack of the same card nor the same set when possible based on that advice.

Agree on the Prizm, Optic, et al eye appeal. Even just a base with no auto or jersey swatch looks great shined up and in a proper holder.

Also BGS marketplace is having a sale from select sellers for Halloween.
Yeah. I've started being a bit more selective in the raw cards I'll get from Beckett unless I know the product e.g. Certified. While I prefer serial numbers, I'm getting more intrigued by the general Inserts of various sets too as I think they can be a sneaky value (especially if graded) and generally look cooler. Most people probably won't try to grade them so I think they could be more scarcer too in general.

2001 Drew Brees Upper Deck Pros & Prospects Future Fame Insert College Uni, yeah, but it was a 1:22 Packs pull and is $20 raw.
2002 Drew Brees Fleer Box Score Press Clippings Insert 1:18 Packs pull and is a shade under $5 raw and is pretty freakin' cool looking.
2002 Drew Brees Pacific Rocket Launchers Insert Pull of 1:19 Packs and is $2-3 raw but again just really cool looking and would look neat in a slab IMO.
2002 Tom Brady Fleer Box Score Yard Markers! Insert 1:9 Packs pull but still about $15 raw. Unique looking though, especially for a 3rd year Brady card.
2002 Tom Brady Fleer Focus Franchise Focus Insert 1:12 Packs pull but $16 raw and again, a neat 'futuristic'-esque card design that would be unique graded.
2002 Tom Brady Upper Deck Honor Roll Sophomore Standouts Insert Pull of 1:24 Packs and $15 raw. Not as cool/unique looking but still not an "easy" pull.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have a copy of that Brees rocket launchers. And 2000-06 Fleer had some GREAT inserts. I bought like six hobby boxes of 2006 Fleer chasing Reggie Bush stuff back then. It was like $30 at the time for a 36 pack hobby box. Of course downside was a MOUNTAIN of base.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the "raw" prices for 'hot' NBA cards now over on Beckett considering the prices people were paying. Mosaic/Prizm are still bonkers but the Chronicles stuff is dirt cheap. DACW has a Chronicles Hobby Box at $640 btw.

Chronicles: Zion Williamson - Prestige Pink, Threads Bronze, Panini Teal, Playbook Teal, and Panini Pink are all $15. Ja Morant is going for $9 - $12. Tyler Herro can be had for $8 or less. You can pick up some Cam Reddish Color #'d Parallels for $12 to $15. De'Andre Hunter Color #'d Parallels can be $6 to $10.

You could easily clean up on Chronicles rookies at 1/6th to 1/9th of the HB price.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Been using Ebay to pick up some 1980s Rookies that may be harder to get "Gem Mint/Mint" grades out of in the ensuing years. Better then paying $25 in grading cost alone + Shipping + Raw Cost of say $15 at least in total. As usual, the PSA equivalent grades are at least 2X+ of the prices.

Also think Maddux/Glavine/Boggs' values will go up as it becomes harder to get Wins and Hits in baseball.

GMA 10 (2) Fleer Update Greg Maddux at $15 Each. GMA 10 Donruss Tom Glavine at $17.95 and GMA 10 Fleer Tom Glavine at $12.00. GMA 9 Fleer Wade Boggs at $19.95. 4 10s and 1 9 = $79.90 for the GMA label.

A PSA Boggs 9 went for $22 and a PSA 10 went for $107.46. PSA Fleer 10 Glavines were going for $27-$43. A BGS 9.5 Donruss Glavine went for $80 and a PSA 10 went for $31.50... GMA Price = $49.90 vs. PSA Price = $80.50 assuming I took the lowest Fleer Glavine price. Saved myself $30.60 for cards that are the same grade quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.