Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Wanted to show off the WWE Undisputed 2020 rainbow of Bayley I almost have done.
8C5D303A-4AA8-4FE1-96AE-219D2F951B8E.jpeg
That‘s base, Orange (/99), Green (/50), Blue (/25), Gold (/10) and Purple (/5). To me, I’m only missing the Red 1/1, which I haven’t seen surface yet. I never really care about printing plates.

Have a good portion of the Chrome too. Have base, refractor, Image Variation refractor, Green (/99), Gold (/50), Orange (/25) and Black (/10). She’s a little harder to figure on the Variations because they released colors of the regular and the variant on other talent but with Bayley, they screwed up and used the same image on both cards. The black and gold I’ve gotten have the card 8 numbering but the orange and green have the IV-5. We will see if I go nuts on getting one in each unique number, since the rest of the cards are identical.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
COMC is having 5% cash back this weekend. Spend $100 and in a few weeks they'll credit you $5 in store funds. If their shipping wasn't total dog crap right now, I'd be on that.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
COMC is having 5% cash back this weekend. Spend $100 and in a few weeks they'll credit you $5 in store funds. If their shipping wasn't total dog crap right now, I'd be on that.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve only ever bought from them through eBay, where I am getting 5% eBay Bucks through tonight. I haven’t ordered from them in a little bit but while they were slow last time, I believe I got my eBay COMC order faster than people were getting ones ordered directly through COMC.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I joined an SGC bulk submissions group in time to get in on their last 2020 submission. Sent 3 Matthew Stafford rookies and 1 recent parallel. Total cost is $34 before return shipping. I should be able to flip for a profit...except the last 2 Lions games have happened since mailing the stuff off.

Due to events in other parts of my life, I've slowed down buying tremendously to see what shakes out between now and New Years.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I joined an SGC bulk submissions group in time to get in on their last 2020 submission. Sent 3 Matthew Stafford rookies and 1 recent parallel. Total cost is $34 before return shipping. I should be able to flip for a profit...except the last 2 Lions games have happened since mailing the stuff off.

Due to events in other parts of my life, I've slowed down buying tremendously to see what shakes out between now and New Years.
Good luck and smart move. I've gotten some higher pay recently (getting some OT pay thanks to NA & Thanksgiving) so I'll be saving that up a bit more and limiting the purchases a bit. As it is, I've tried to limit the 'quantity' over 'quality' mentality a bit, which has helped. It gets easy trying to load up a cart on Beckett for the free shipping and before you know it you're spending $80+ between two places.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Today’s mail had some fun stuff in it. Got a few Gronk cards, including a Topps Chrome Rookie, a WWE Transcendent Bayley autograph /15, some random Paul Pierce picks up I had found and two new slabs. I had won from a seller on eBay a BGS 10 of the Topps Now card when Bayley won Money in the Bank. The seller did combined shipping so I looked in their store when the auction ended and won a 2010 Topps Michelle McCool BGS 9.5. Not a big Michelle McCool fan but I won the graded card for around $3 with the shipping included on my Bayley. Also managed to get Prizm inserts of Steph Curry, Devin Booker and a lot of 7 Prizm Moritz Wagner rookies from the same seller for a few bucks more too.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Today’s mail had some fun stuff in it. Got a few Gronk cards, including a Topps Chrome Rookie, a WWE Transcendent Bayley autograph /15, some random Paul Pierce picks up I had found and two new slabs. I had won from a seller on eBay a BGS 10 of the Topps Now card when Bayley won Money in the Bank. The seller did combined shipping so I looked in their store when the auction ended and won a 2010 Topps Michelle McCool BGS 9.5. Not a big Michelle McCool fan but I won the graded card for around $3 with the shipping included on my Bayley. Also managed to get Prizm inserts of Steph Curry, Devin Booker and a lot of 7 Prizm Moritz Wagner rookies from the same seller for a few bucks more too.
That McCool card sounds like a great steal. I've also grown to love inserts more as they're usually cooler design-wise, are harder pulls, and tend to fetch lower prices as well.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah... and knowing he only believes in keeping cards out of light of day in safe and just looks at pictures of his collection, I wonder if everything is going to get stricter too.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Jumped on 35 cards of the 'Artifacts' hockey brand from 2009 - 2019 for about $148 (Just $4.17 a card average price). All were mostly /99 or less with a few /75, a couple /50, etc. I just really like the look of the brand over O-Pee-Chee and Upper Deck. The Young Guns prices are nuts when I can get some of these names /99 for literally $1.25, $1.50, $2.00, $2.50, or $3.00 with free shipping. Pictorial examples below. I also like that the Mem cards have the same stats on the back as opposed to the generic, lame "Congrats you got a Mem card," write up.

I thought about targeting a lot of the current names but I'd have to settle for /199 or /299 type cards or it'd basically be a lot of prospecting of cards/sets I can get in a few years instead when prices inevitably go down. The Kucherov was like $3 and the Lundqvist was like $7 whereas in a 2019 or 2020 set, those prices would be higher for a higher print run as well.

Players picked up: Sebastian Aho (2019 Ruby), Tom Barrasso, Patrice Bergeron/Milan Lucic, Mike Bossy x2, Zdeno Chara x2, Chris Chelios, Paul Coffey, Vincent Damphousse, Pavel Datsyuk, Ron Francis, Dominik Hasek, Dale Hawerchuk, Braden Holtby, Erik Karlsson, Anze Kopitar, David Krejci, Nikita Kucherov (2016), John LeClair, Milan Lucic, Henrik Lundqvist, Nathan MacKinnon (2018), Mitch Marner (2019 Materials Gold), Ryan Miller, Rick Nash, Carey Price, Pekka Rinne, Patrick Roy x2, Henrik Sedin x2, Mats Sundin, Joe Thornton

136580-9056080Fr.jpg
136580-9056080Bk.jpg
136587-9057348Fr.jpg
136587-9057348Bk.jpg

Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My facebook bulk sub guy messaged me that 4 of my early 2020 BAS subs were done. I asked which four and he said "already packaged them." The serial #s in BAS slabs will come up in the BGS pop report, so I'm checking all potential cards in the population report, and nothing is coming up. The $$ he quoted was a lot more than just standard authentication/slab so I'm ASSUMING the Drew Brees or the 2 Frank Thomas after market auto cards are in there (those get graded for registry).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... and knowing he only believes in keeping cards out of light of day in safe and just looks at pictures of his collection, I wonder if everything is going to get stricter too.
I've heard a lot of the stock investors are pissed due to the low valuation of the company e.g. the $700 Million buy in comparison to the actual $75 share price or whatever it's being sold at. A lot of the Youtubers are being deliberately obtuse in just looking at PSA maybe improving turnaround times and potential machine grading down the road. One guy of Slab Stox actually tried to say that PSA not having a Board of Directors to answer to was a good thing for Nat, et. al because he could push his ideas forward quicker. LOL... get the fuck outta here, fan boys. It's clear that dopes funneled a shitload of money into PSA and refuse to be realistic because that $$ value will plummet.

Stock was selling at $14 in April. Cards go insane, all the Youtubers notoriously pimp PSA, PSA stock goes nuts up to $75 or so now, and they all make a high profit if they sell the stock now (SportsCardInvestor aka Scum Geoff purchased stocks). It all just comes off as so scummy/shady from the executive levels area yet the lemmings gonna lemming right off the cliff.

I expect stringent grades, shady consignment house auction shit to pick up, potential trimming to happen more, and quid pro quo to be a very common practice while Average Joe gets fleeced of everything.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Today’s mail call all prices include total cost including shipping and taxes:

2003-04 Topps Pristine Refractor /1999 Darko Milicic - $4.58

2018 Topps WWE Women’s Division Bronze Autograph /75 Bayley - $14.91

2013-14 Totally Certified Red /99 Paul Pierce - $4.50

2018 Panini Prizm Dominance Green PSA 9 Paul Pierce - $20.03

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Got my first graded card in the mail today. eBay purchase, not one I had done myself. I’m interested in getting stuff graded, but starting with zero knowledge and trying to read up on it and all the variables feels overwhelming.4BF07A86-10A1-40A3-B6D9-02FF36035502.jpeg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my first graded card in the mail today. eBay purchase, not one I had done myself. I’m interested in getting stuff graded, but starting with zero knowledge and trying to read up on it and all the variables feels overwhelming.View attachment 327
Awesome card! With the increase in grading prices and long wait times, I've opted to pay up a little for Ebay purchases instead. A lot of times, you can basically get a pre-graded card at a similar overall price point (buy the card raw/break a box, pay the grading fee + possible upcharge of 'value', shipping fees) and get a grade you desire without worrying about whether the card you sent in will get an 8, 8.5, 9, or 10.

8s and 8.5s are treated as "raw" price. 9s are a tick above price wise with 10s often being massively X'd above a 9 price point. Depending on the card, you may be better off just paying up a little for a graded version than buying it raw and hoping you get the elusive 10 yourself instead of getting a 9 or even an 8 whilst paying say $30 or whatever for what would end up being a $35 or $40 card if sold.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I know I’m superstitious about saying anything until stuff arrives, as I tend to have some weird eBay situations. Last night I won a graded Kevin Garnett card but the seller wrote me saying it was an accidental duplicate listing minutes after I paid. I wasn’t too heartbroken because I only bud thinking I was getting a shipping discount on a different card that I got sniped in the final second.

I have a couple more things for my WWE rainbows on the way that I will hang tight on speaking til I have them. One item that was priced got sent from North Dakota but for some reason went to Maryland, which is the opposite direction of me and makes no sense. Trying to be patient for that to arrive. Similarly, I sent another bulk PSA submission start of the week and it says it was delivered Wednesday but I didn’t get the “we received your package and it is safe” message that I usually get the next day, so I’m getting a little antsy because I had a few /5 cards in there and some other good stuff.

One order I think @HarleyQuinn would be proud of just told me it sent, so I think I’ll post here to brag a little, as I think I got a steal. I was winning a Devin Booker card cheap with $3.50 shipping. I noticed the seller had flat $3.50 shipping and with their prices, I started bidding on anything interesting and got some cool stuff.

The following 16 items I am getting $24.93 after shipping and tax (prices listed are my pre-tax/shipping winning bid price):

2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue variant Jimmy Butler (.89)
2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue variant Jamal a Murray (.89)
2019-20 Optic Blue Velocity Chris Paul (.89)
2020 Bowman Chrome Purple Refractor (/250) JD Martinez ($1.37)
2020 Gold Standard Silver (/75) Matt Ryan (.89)
2020 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor (/150) Justin Verlander ($1.51)
2020 Panini Illusions Bronze (/499) Stephon Gilmore ($1.37)
2019-20 Optic Blue Velocity Jaylen Brown (.89)
2017-18 Optic Pink Velocity (/79) Ersan Ilyasova (.89)
2019-20 Optic Express Lane Purple Kemba Walker (.89)
2019-20 Prizm Dominance Silver Devin Booker ($1.25)
2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue Paul Pierce (.89)
2018-19 Optic Fast Break Blue Prizm (/50) Harrison Barnes (.89)
2020 Bowman Refractor (/499) Fernando Tatis Jr ($4.34)
2020 Mosaic Touchdown Masters Green Larry Fitzgerald (.89)
2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue Kyrie Irving (.89)

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Awesome card! With the increase in grading prices and long wait times, I've opted to pay up a little for Ebay purchases instead. A lot of times, you can basically get a pre-graded card at a similar overall price point (buy the card raw/break a box, pay the grading fee + possible upcharge of 'value', shipping fees) and get a grade you desire without worrying about whether the card you sent in will get an 8, 8.5, 9, or 10.

8s and 8.5s are treated as "raw" price. 9s are a tick above price wise with 10s often being massively X'd above a 9 price point. Depending on the card, you may be better off just paying up a little for a graded version than buying it raw and hoping you get the elusive 10 yourself instead of getting a 9 or even an 8 whilst paying say $30 or whatever for what would end up being a $35 or $40 card if sold.

And with the Beckett grades, you can sometimes get a premium for a higher sub-grade. Example: the 9.5 centering on your new Jones auto.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
One order I think @HarleyQuinn would be proud of just told me it sent, so I think I’ll post here to brag a little, as I think I got a steal. I was winning a Devin Booker card cheap with $3.50 shipping. I noticed the seller had flat $3.50 shipping and with their prices, I started bidding on anything interesting and got some cool stuff.

The following 16 items I am getting $24.93 after shipping and tax (prices listed are my pre-tax/shipping winning bid price):

2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue variant Jimmy Butler (.89)
2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue variant Jamal Murray (.89)
2019-20 Optic Blue Velocity Chris Paul (.89)
2020 Bowman Chrome Purple Refractor (/250) JD Martinez ($1.37)
2020 Gold Standard Silver (/75) Matt Ryan (.89)
2020 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor (/150) Justin Verlander ($1.51)
2020 Panini Illusions Bronze (/499) Stephon Gilmore ($1.37)
2019-20 Optic Blue Velocity Jaylen Brown (.89)
2017-18 Optic Pink Velocity (/79) Ersan Ilyasova (.89)
2019-20 Optic Express Lane Purple Kemba Walker (.89)
2019-20 Prizm Dominance Silver Devin Booker ($1.25)
2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue Paul Pierce (.89)
2018-19 Optic Fast Break Blue Prizm (/50) Harrison Barnes (.89)
2020 Bowman Refractor (/499) Fernando Tatis Jr ($4.34)
2020 Mosaic Touchdown Masters Green Larry Fitzgerald (.89)
2019-20 Prizm Red White & Blue Kyrie Irving (.89)
tenor.gif

Awesome pick ups! Especially love the serial numbered stuff, of course, but I've found Justin Verlander to be stupid cheap given his career. I really like the Harrison Barnes snag but he's one of those guys that'll likely be remembered as a good player (ala Michael Finley) that collectors who know the NBA history will appreciate more than the "Investor" type.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, some really surprised me and even the most expensive, a serial numbered Tatis, seemed real good for under $5 with how hot he was this season.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Just got the package received confirmation on my PSA package. Very excited. I think the only thing is I keep sending submissions and eventually I am going to get these big charges when they actually get done - but I try to mix it with stuff of mine to preserve and some stuff I’d be open to sell.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Since I don't have returns to share, I'll post an old one with the story behind it now that I've been updated within the last hour.

Email from my bulk guy tonight regarding a very long standing issue. That the last batch of cards in the BGS database are serial numbered 12,600,000 range (12 million 600 thousand + graded) and this card is serial numbered in the 6 million range tells you how long I've been going back and forth. Tagged for size:
hQleYBV.jpg

lVqASfO.jpg

When I type the serial # into the look up on the registrty, I get a hockey card. The site mod has been pestering programmers for years to fix this to no luck. Prior to grading it, I noticed that the rear text authenticated the autograph. There is no autograph. This was an ebay pick up somewhere in the area of 2010-2011. I reached out to Panini and explained this card lacked an auto, is not in the BGS database, and is stamped 1/1. They wrote back with instructions to return it immediately. Apparently this was a promo for a show in Hawaii. Instead, I sent it to BGS and had it graded. When the BGS serial number look up kept failing, I just put it on the back burner as we all know BGS has been spotty with reliability the last few years. To point, in the population report it shows up normal.

I finally just sent it to my bulk guy and asked him to send it in and have them just issue it a new BGS Serial # and reslab it in one of their more recent slabs as the era slabs from 2011-2012 for National Treasures cards are bulky and the card moves. After some heeing and hawing by BGS, they're refusing to issue a new serial number and after my guy made contact with Panini for paperwork (to convince BGS new management that it is okay that old management graded it), they STILL want the card back.

So he's throwing his hands up, apologized to me, and is having to send it back to me, same non-functional BGS serial #, same clunky slab. So I have a graded 1/1 Brees NT patch card but on paper it apparently doesn't exist. If Panini would produce some sort of documentation that this is a stolen good, I will happily cooperate and send it back, but as it stands I think this got through their quality control and they're trying to save face, I guess?

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I don't have returns to share, I'll post an old one with the story behind it now that I've been updated within the last hour.

Email from my bulk guy tonight regarding a very long standing issue. That the last batch of cards in the BGS database are serial numbered 12,600,000 range (12 million 600 thousand + graded) and this card is serial numbered in the 6 million range tells you how long I've been going back and forth. Tagged for size:
hQleYBV.jpg

lVqASfO.jpg

When I type the serial # into the look up on the registrty, I get a hockey card. The site mod has been pestering programmers for years to fix this to no luck. Prior to grading it, I noticed that the rear text authenticated the autograph. There is no autograph. This was an ebay pick up somewhere in the area of 2010-2011. I reached out to Panini and explained this card lacked an auto, is not in the BGS database, and is stamped 1/1. They wrote back with instructions to return it immediately. Apparently this was a promo for a show in Hawaii. Instead, I sent it to BGS and had it graded. When the BGS serial number look up kept failing, I just put it on the back burner as we all know BGS has been spotty with reliability the last few years. To point, in the population report it shows up normal.

I finally just sent it to my bulk guy and asked him to send it in and have them just issue it a new BGS Serial # and reslab it in one of their more recent slabs as the era slabs from 2011-2012 for National Treasures cards are bulky and the card moves. After some heeing and hawing by BGS, they're refusing to issue a new serial number and after my guy made contact with Panini for paperwork (to convince BGS new management that it is okay that old management graded it), they STILL want the card back.

So he's throwing his hands up, apologized to me, and is having to send it back to me, same non-functional BGS serial #, same clunky slab. So I have a graded 1/1 Brees NT patch card but on paper it apparently doesn't exist. If Panini would produce some sort of documentation that this is a stolen good, I will happily cooperate and send it back, but as it stands I think this got through their quality control and they're trying to save face, I guess?
My guess is that it was a card that an employee? took home with them not realizing there was a lack of a sticker auto (or did so because of that so they thought it wouldn't be missed?) It's also legitimate on their end that they don't want a mis-advertised card out being sold either (especially one in a slab).

You could ask Panini since it was supposed to be a sticker autograph (judging by the 'attached autograph' phrasing) if they'll break the case, add the sticker auto, and send it back to you? I've seen other stories where Panini or Topps have requested folks send specific cards that may be stolen/have issues directly to them so I don't think it's really a case of trying to save face or anything like that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, some really surprised me and even the most expensive, a serial numbered Tatis, seemed real good for under $5 with how hot he was this season.
I've noticed you can get some real 'raw' steals via Beckett on older Panini Prizm sets. You could get all of these serial'd /25 from the 2016-17 Prizm set. Stuff like the below I look at as a trick to building up a great collection under the radar of other people before they realize and then 3-4 years later you're like: Got these cards all /25 with most under $6 and people are like, "How the fuck did you swing that?"

Bradley Beal All Day Prizms Mojo $4.00
John Wall Teal Wave $4.80
John Wall Go Hard Go Home Teal Wave $5.52
Carmelo Anthony Explosion Teal Wave $5.52
Carmelo Anthony Go Hard Go Home Teal Wave $5.52
Blake Griffin Explosion Teal Wave $4.14
Blake Griffin Prizms Teal Wave $8.28
Blake Griffin Sky's the Limit Teal Wave $7.74
DeMarcus Cousins Go Hard Go Home Teal Wave $3.45
Aaron Gordon Prizm Mojo $5.00
Aaron Gordon Prizms Teal Wave $6.90
Kevin Love Prizms Orange Wave $6.00
DeAndre Jordan Prizms Orange Wave $5.00
Andre Drummond Prizms Teal Wave $8.28
Ricky Rubio Prizms Teal Wave $6.90
Zach Lavine Sky's the Limit Mojo $5.34
Total = 16 Cards all /25 for $92.39 (Average $5.77 per card)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My guess is that it was a card that an employee? took home with them not realizing there was a lack of a sticker auto (or did so because of that so they thought it wouldn't be missed?) It's also legitimate on their end that they don't want a mis-advertised card out being sold either (especially one in a slab).

You could ask Panini since it was supposed to be a sticker autograph (judging by the 'attached autograph' phrasing) if they'll break the case, add the sticker auto, and send it back to you? I've seen other stories where Panini or Topps have requested folks send specific cards that may be stolen/have issues directly to them so I don't think it's really a case of trying to save face or anything like that.
I wouldn't mind that if they'd actually extend dialogue beyond "return it." I double checked and I had it graded summer 2010 so they've had a good decade to settle the issue with me.

My BAS returns arrived on my way out the door. Didn't have time to do professional scans, so I took a photo at my work space:
tagged for size
AxcYCgx.png

rijvZEi.png

e1zl0xf.png

XmlLbwC.png

XshM6Vq.png

These were sent in staggered across different weeks so that I'd only have to pay for one return per week (Facebook group admin for this bulk group doesn't charge until after they're done) but looks like all four popped 11/16/2020 and admin wasn't able to message me until this week due to the sheer volume he deals in. Was not expecting all four at once. I opted to not do anything beyond authenticate for the Pierre Thomas because that sharpie they gave him for that signing was God awful.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Stunned eBay win tonight. Not that it is a major card but I won a PSA 10 Giannis 2018 Optic base card for $9.50 with $4 shipping. Even after shipping and tax, it was still cheaper than what it costs to get a 2018 card graded at the lowest service level currently.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not cards, but while doing the scans for my registry, I found some b&w 5x7 signed publicity stills of Saints from years past. Same signing as the Henderson above. Might get BAS to slab those down the road. Other than Coach Haslett, none of them would really ring a bell outside the gulf region. Boo Williams, Ashley Ambrose, Charles Grant, and Fred McAffee. I'd have to pay the "oversized" fee so definitely a "one at a time" situation. Also have a cloth mini flag same dimensions that Coach Haslett signed.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Not cards, but while doing the scans for my registry, I found some b&w 5x7 signed publicity stills of Saints from years past. Same signing as the Henderson above. Might get BAS to slab those down the road. Other than Coach Haslett, none of them would really ring a bell outside the gulf region. Boo Williams, Ashley Ambrose, Charles Grant, and Fred McAffee. I'd have to pay the "oversized" fee so definitely a "one at a time" situation. Also have a cloth mini flag same dimensions that Coach Haslett signed.
I had been thinking about slabbing some stuff like that recently. I did a lot of through the mail autographing as a kid. The fourth quarter grading specials at PSA are awful for cards but one of their other things is heavy discount on Wrestling autograph grading and encapsulation. I have a fair amount. The main one in my mind is the Shane McMahon 8x10 I got as a kid, since McMahon autographs are hard to come by but I have some other stuff like an in-person Hulk Hogan 8x10 too, which may be nice slabbed, especially since I know it is real but he has so many fakes out there.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Authentication/slabbing only at BAS went surprisingly fast. The grading part is falling under the same log jam as the rest of the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.