Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The picture was high enough quality I scanned it in the PSA app and got this result

78CEA9C3-E8EF-438C-B18B-B579459FF40F.jpeg

The seller seems reputable too.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thank you! I think that one of the next things to start going up, significantly, in value are the subset type cards like the all star versions and such. As the regular base cards continue to go into the stratosphere, I have a hunch that people will start seeking out the more readily available cards like this. And, of course, they'll become less readily available and start doing increasingly good numbers.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The top and right side kind of raise red flags for me. The top edge looks like it slants downward left starting with the P in SPORT and the right edge just looks really off at the very top (kind of an inward cut?) and bottom (flared out a little bit?). Both the PSA 5 and 7 are much cheaper and the PSA 7 just looks a lot thicker/fuller than the PSA 8. Same for the PSA 5.

EDIT: The PSA 7 was sold at this Ebay auction in 2017 for a shade over $169

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like that 7, too, and I'm watching the auction. Also watching a centered '53 Jackie Robinson SGC 2 ending tomorrow afternoon.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I do want to own a 50s Mantle at some point, if my Paypal CC was 0'd out I'd pull the trigger.

Did a small base order on Sportslots last night just to see how it pans out. I purposely only bought from one seller, I'll branch out more later. Some things were like $0.18 per single, after 15 cards the shipping was $4.99 which isn't bad at all. If the base cards work out I'll look at higher end offerings.

Order Detail
DescriptionCondQty_nbrAmtStatusDealer
2006 Playoff NFL Playoffs #149 Marques Colston FBNM
1​
$0.39Original Orderasher123
1990 Collegiate Collection LSU #4 Ricky Blanton MSNM
1​
$0.18Original Orderasher123
2018 Panini Fathers Day #42 Alvin Kamara MSNM
3​
$2.25Original Orderasher123
2019 Panini Fathers Day #34 Michael Thomas MSNM
3​
$1.47Original Orderasher123
2019 Panini National Convention #19 Alvin Kamara MSNM
5​
$2.45Original Orderasher123
2019 Panini National Convention College #MT Michael Thomas MSNM
1​
$0.75Original Orderasher123
2018 Topps WWE Heritage #28 Finn BaLor WRNM
1​
$0.49Original Orderasher123

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My Paul O'Neill arrived yesterday
dino.gif
It looks even better in person and the refractor aspect is really cool. Paying under $30 for a 9.5 that's basically a PSA 10 (it has a 9.5 and 2 10 subs) #'d /400 is a steal even if it's just Paul O'Neill. Threw up the pic on my IG and shouted out the person who sent it (he runs qualitycards.com) since it's always good to shout out those who do good and try to throw some more buyers their way.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Had a couple more things trickle in the past few days I hadn’t posted about. I had gotten a good deal on former Diamondbacks pitcher Robbie Ray’s 2018 Heritage 100th Anniversary card as a PSA 10. The 100th Anniversaey were designated with like a gold imprint MLB logo and had a print run of only 25 cards for each player. When it came in the mail, I noticed that it got graded as a regular base, not the 100th Anniversary variant. I wrote to PSA and they sent me a FedEx label to send it back and get it corrected, free of charge.

Not the first time I got this help from PSA. They did this when I bought a graded WWE Kacy Catanzaro autograph over the summer which I got cheaper than the raw ones were going because the person got it graded as Kacy Clemens, which is how it was incorrectly displaying on the label, in the pop report, etc.

Only thing I‘m a little nervous on the Ray is if they opt to regrade it. I noticed what looked like a defect on the imprint, so it’ll be sad if I get it sent for the correct label and have the grade go down but even if it drops in grade slightly, I feel it is better to be recognized for what it really is, given the small print run.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
For price comparison on the '58 Mickey Mantle All-Star card.

PSA 8 = $639.95, $795 BIN/BO, $449 BIN/BO - Print Defect,
PSA 7s = $420 (3 Hours left in Auction), $460 BIN, $395 BIN
PSA 6s = $240 (20% off) BIN, $245 BIN, $252 BIN, $250 BIN
PSA 5s = $200 BIN/BO, $103.50 (32 Hours left in Auction), $180 BIN, $200 BIN/BO

There's a lot of the 'League Leaders' type sub-set cards in those 50s/60s Topps that are IMO very underrated that I've been eyeing for a while. You can get Aaron/Mays or Koufax/Gibson type cards with them both on the same card. There's also some great individual cards that celebrate MLB history.

Example: 1974 Topps #1 Hank Aaron New All-Time HR King SGC 5.5 for $100 or GMA 7 for $75.00. Then there's a 1968 Topps Baltimore Orioles Team Card PSA 9 for $70 too. Then you get into stuff like this 1968 Topps World Series Bob Gibson Tosses Shutout SGC 8 for $50

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And I'm off that 8. Just when I talked myself into being ok with the top of the front, the back fails. There's some kind of printing defect and a mark on the "e" in American.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I lost the PSA 7. But I found another version of that '58 Mantle that looked just about as good, an SGC 6.5, with similarly good centering, color and overall eye appeal. The seller also had a 1933 Goudey Mel Ott rookie, PSA 1.5 FR. Low grade due to rounded corners but, again, great eye appeal on the front image.

I was able to get both for less than the PSA 7 Mantle alone ended up selling for.

Last edited:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wasn't me.

I did order a priority medium flat rate box stuffed of college cards of should be 2019-2020 and totaling over 800 individual cards for the cost of $30. I'm not looking to flip, just break even, cherry pick Saints stuff, and then donate the rest to whichever friends speak up first.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I lost the PSA 7. But I found another version of that '58 Mantle that looked just about as good, an SGC 6.5, with similarly good centering, color and overall eye appeal. The seller also had a 1933 Goudey Mel Ott rookie, PSA 1.5 FR. Low grade due to rounded corners but, again, great eye appeal on the front image.

I was able to get both for less than the PSA 7 Mantle alone ended up selling for.
Awesome gets. Also, proof that you can get a great card at a "cheaper" price just because the assigned grade was decided differently by Person B to Person A. Interesting to note that PSA 7 sold for $514 compared to a $375 BIN the day before and a $425 Auction on 1/9.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad I lost the 7. The 6.5 looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to having Ott's rookie in my collection. I already have his '41 Play Ball, after a trade at a card show a couple years ago. I think vintage is going to keep going up. Not always exponentially, like it seems to be at the moment, but I'm confident in a steady rise. I really think it's going to be, if not already, similar to the fine art market. I do think some modern stuff will continue to be good investments as well but there are some bubbles yet to burst there, imo.

This is probably a good time to get those vintage all star, league leaders, multi player, etc cards, especially while higher grades are still attainable.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I think vintage is going to keep going up. Not always exponentially, like it seems to be at the moment, but I'm confident in a steady rise. I really think it's going to be, if not already, similar to the fine art market. I do think some modern stuff will continue to be good investments as well but there are some bubbles yet to burst there, imo.

This is probably a good time to get those vintage all star, league leaders, multi player, etc cards, especially while higher grades are still attainable.
I think you're right. There's still good money to be made investing in serial #d cards IMO that can be graded down the road but I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst on stuff like the Prizm. I think there's a bigger print run than people think, Panini is printing them up because the $$ market & demand are there, and I can see PSA trying to play "Pop Control" depending on the player.

Just for fun as an experiment...
Tyler Herro Silver Prizm RC = 1365 Graded via PSA. Hard to say what's a cross-over, re-submission, etc. but still...
Kevin Garnett Hoops RC = 154 Graded via PSA. But y'know, "junk wax era" and overproduction and blah blah blah.

It's no surprise that people are chasing after grading mostly the Topps Finest of that era either. People go where the demand takes them but people are stupid too. I think people are gonna burn themselves trying to chase/grade the "shiny" and be shocked when it crashes. I'd rather go for the 90s Topps Chrome Inserts and get the RC of products like the paper Topps, Hoops, etc. that are being overlooked. I look at modern-day NFL the same way where paper Donruss gets no love despite being the exact same thing as Donruss Optic just without the shine. Give me the Optic parallels but I'll take the paper Rated Rookies at their 'discount' prices all day.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Vintage talk on here got me a little itchy to get some, even though I don’t super know what I’m looking for. I figured this talk in combination with the 1960s grading special at PSA, I‘d look around for some 60s Red Sox cards. Ordered what looked like some decent cards of some names I knew, some I didn’t. Found a couple vintage Twins and since my card collecting IRL friend is a Twins fan, snagged those as things to maybe even throw in with a gift to him some time. There’s one card I became most focused on. Winning an auction for it that ends tonight but in fear of jinxing myself, will hold off on saying much about it til then.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good luck on the auction!

If possible, I'd recommend investing in vintage Ted Williams. Even though he signed about a billion things, his autograph has retained value. His vintage cards were not so readily available and, I think, will continue to go up in value. He has some of the most iconic cards of the 40s and 50s so, whether you plan to sell or not, they're also beautiful to look at.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah. A Williams card would definitely be a good investment at some point. I limited myself more by sticking to just 60s to coincide with the PSA special. I got what looked to be cheap, good condition cards of Red Sox and a couple guys with funny names for now. Most expensive thing I picked up already was a 1965 rookie gold cup Tony Conigliaro for $20. The thing Im winning is more but it is also more than one card but features one I’ve pinpointed as a main get for my interests in that era.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
My other interesting win I randomly found this morning was an early Lebron card I always wanted but never got. It is a 2004 Fleer Team USA cards. They are mostly going around $30 but I won an auction for about $16 after tax and shipping.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. A Williams card would definitely be a good investment at some point. I limited myself more by sticking to just 60s to coincide with the PSA special. I got what looked to be cheap, good condition cards of Red Sox and a couple guys with funny names for now. Most expensive thing I picked up already was a 1965 rookie gold cup Tony Conigliaro for $20. The thing Im winning is more but it is also more than one card but features one I’ve pinpointed as a main get for my interests in that era.
As a big fan of sports history and baseball history (partially thanks to the fantastic OOTP baseball computer game series), there's a lot of underrated 60s players behind the "big names" that can be had who are Hall of Famers such as Nellie Fox.

Guys like: Orlando Cepeda (1 MVP, 1 WS Title, 11x All-Star), Ernie Banks aka Mr. Cub, Frank Robinson & Brooks Robinson on the Earl Weaver Baltimore teams, Ron Santo (9x All-Star, 5x Gold Glover), Willie McCovey, an older Duke Snider, Harmon Killebrew, Rocky Colavito & Frank Howard (neither are HOFers but super underrated IMO in that era's stars with 370+ HR each).

There's just a ton of guys. The Red Sox of the 50s-60s had notable names but were kind of "forgotten" eras (no Ted Williams and the 'big names' of the 70s really started coming in by the late 60s) until 1967 through 1990 really.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yep. That was the centerpiece of existence itself

That was one of the random throw-ins earlier. The bigger item thing is ending within the hour.

I did win a few other older modern cards today that I think are interesting after just going down a weird rabbit hole.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a 1969 Mayo Smith card because he was an old white guy named Mayo and I got it for $1.49 shipped
History for ya :) Smith served as the manager of the Philadelphia Phillies (19551958), Cincinnati Reds (1959), and Detroit Tigers (19671970), compiling a managerial record of 662–612 (.520). He received The Sporting News Manager of the Year Award in 1968 after the Tigers won the American League (AL) pennant by 12 games with a record of 103–59 (.636) and defeated the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1968 World Series.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
So the card I got follows up Manager of the Year win, nice.

I won my item. It was the 29 card 1961 Topps Red Sox team set. Why this was so big? It has the Carl Yastrzemski rookie. I had been seeing good copies of the Carl in the $50 to $75 range. The cards all looked in pretty good shape and the seller estimated the value around $315. I won after tax and shipping for $89.03.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Congrats! That's an awesome win. The Yaz rookie is another real good investment, imo, and it's just plain beautiful. I need to get one myself at some point.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So the card I got follows up Manager of the Year win, nice.

I won my item. It was the 29 card 1961 Topps Red Sox team set. Why this was so big? It has the Carl Yastrzemski rookie. I had been seeing good copies of the Carl in the $50 to $75 range. The cards all looked in pretty good shape and the seller estimated the value around $315. I won after tax and shipping for $89.03.
Great stuff. The Jackie Jensen raw goes for $20 - $25 alone so that's a fantastic deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.