Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Man, I knew some Marvel cards picked up but I hadn’t really gone down that path. I had a box of 90s DC on my watchlist for a while that sold recently. I collected the Fleer Ultra X-men set (1994, I think?) as a kid. I recently got excited because someone packed one of my recent receivings with a couple 90s Marvel cards. There is a Spider-Man in great shape I moved to a potential grading pile. They also sent an Alpha Flight, which I appreciated being more oddball but that wasn’t in such good shape.

For non comics, over the summer I did get cheap boxes of the Stadium Club Batman Returns and the Fleer Ultra Batman Forever. Built a couple complete sets from the Returns box and still have some unopened packs. I binder and paged a set for myself and one for my buddy that is a big Batman fan. Then I have a pile of extras, some I’ve sent for grading just because the nostalgia with that set. I never finished working on the Batman Forever box, I should go back to that...

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Additionally, I have to post another one that makes me laugh. It is always something like someone having a big game or retiring or dying or some major event driving prices up but it is extra wild in this environment. I mean, we’ve talked about some of the random young NBA guys go up in price, then there was a surge in pricing on Fred VanVleet cards after his 54-point game this past week. Like, I like him. He is a nice player. That’s his first 50-point game and he will probably never be an All-Star but people are snatching him up with that INVEST mindset.

Similarly I laughed because I looked at the items no longer available on my watch list. I had been watching a Cesaro 1/1 autograph from the Money in the Bank set for months now. It was a fair price for a 1/1 autograph ($135) but I don’t have a major Cesaro collection so I didn’t see the need to spend on it. He has one important match on Smackdown last night and it’s gone. Just wild.

I may just be bitter tough. My Bayley searches are getting flooded with some clown in the new NASCAR set who has Bayley as a last name...

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
@HarleyQuinn is this you winning this?

Wow... I tend to avoid PWCC auctions at all costs (same for Probstein usually) but if either ever sold a graded BTAS Harley Quinn card I'd throw in my towel, your towel, Owen Hart's Survivor Series towel, etc. to bid like a fiend.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been developing a greater appreciation for the Topps Archive series in baseball as they feature the Major League stats on the back of their Rookie Cards compared to Topps Flagship (which features the full season incl. minor leagues w/o breaking it up). I also like the 'throwback' feel to their sets too. Also, even Topps Heritage runs into the "old school" look but with throwing the minor league stats on there instead. It was just something I noticed looking through Beckett and seeing there was a Wade Boggs Blue /25 from 2020 TA for around $4.

back.jpg
back.jpg
back.jpg

Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm trying out the "box" feature on Sportslots. Seems like a hybrid of what COMC does, but the sellers mail the items to sportslots for safe keeping at a much lower rate until the buyer is ready for one larger shipment at once. Each purchase also indicates I'm accumulating "loot" and I cannot find anything on their site that explains what it is.

I've cleaned out all in stock pre-1990 Frank Thomas Minor league cards on this site. A lot were $0.18-$5.00 and 2 of them were $20.

There's a few ungraded key rookies of both football and baseball HOFers that i've previously had to sell due to financial emergencies in 2013 and never replaced them. If I bought one per pay period it wouldn't kill me, but I went through two Marino rookies before a 3rd one checked out as unaltered at a combined $200 across 3 cards on top of grading fees each time. The third one was in a sealed cello back on the top and it received an 8 grade and I got well less than $80 for it when I was in desperation (2013 medical bills were a total motherfucker). Something to think about. I used to love my little display that I had at the top of my card display with Marino, Elway, Rice, Montana, and Bradshaw and then underneath them my rows and rows of Brees, Frank, and whoever else I was displaying at any given moment.

As soon as the doc lets me lift more than 5 pounds (3 months from now, FML) I want to take down everything currently being displayed and just put up random shit I never have up. Mix it up a bit. (My storage containers of graded stuff are stacked up in my closet and each one probably weighs in the area of 50 pounds, so I'm kind of boned on getting in and out for now).

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If the loot program is like it was a decade ago, you basically accumulate change on every purchase that goes in a little bank. Once you are ready, you just apply it as a discount at checkout. I can’t remember all the Ins and outs of if different sellers have different amounts like the shipping did but I do remember getting and using loot.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Man... here's a comparison of "value" re: the 1986 Fleer NBA if you want to see who is undervalued. Going by latest sale only. All PSA 10s.

1986-1987 NBA Fleer
Charles Barkley RC $20,500
Larry Bird $17,500 [Sticker]
Karl Malone RC $14,500
Patrick Ewing RC $7,000 [Sticker]
Clyde Drexler RC $5,000
Adrian Dantley $5,000 [Sticker]
James Worthy RC $3,147
Manute Bol RC $2,147
Sidney Moncrief $2,000
Roy Hinson RC $1,500
Rory Sparrow $1,500
Otis Birdsong $1,395
Joe Dumars RC $1,250
Craig Hodges $1,000
Jack Sikma $1,000
Jay Humphries RC $1,000
LaSalle Thompson $1,000
Cliff Robinson $999
Alex English $950
Steve Stipanovich $825
Mike Gminski $825
Charles Oakley RC $810
Dan Roundfield $800
Sidney Green $799
Andrew Toney $700
Sleepy Floyd $450
Kevin Willis $450
Mark Eaton $425
Walter Davis $350

Note: 1996 Re-Issue (aka Reprint) of Michael Jordan sold for $1,250

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll be 40 this year, been collecting since 1987, and I am STILL making brain dead gaffes. Due to the lack of photos on Sportslots, my assumption that buying up all of these late 80s Frank Thomas Rookies was a brilliant get ended today when the first batch arrived and they're tribute cards to the OTHER Frank Thomas that played in the 1960s.

There ARE White Sox Thomas cards mixed in but now I'm going to be figuring out what to do with what essentially amounts to a dozen reprints of the wrong guy. I've been having moderate success moving some cards on Facebook market place so I might try there.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I remember getting one of those Frank Thomas cards as a little kid and being extremely confused at first.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Haven’t been posting a ton of new stuff in here lately but had a couple fun things received today.

Topps and WWE recently put out a new product FULLY LOADED. It’s supposed to be like those baseball signature archives where the product is a single autograph card priced at like $60 per box. One of the big selling points is they do have a Vince McMahon autograph in the set. I checked the checklist and the main thing I wanted was there was a Bayley autograph mat relic. Seen a handful of /199 on ebay and got one of those, which arrived today. I guess they have different rarities because I think I saw there was a /99 that sold on eBay but I haven’t looked into it. They had her sign a black NXT mat with a gold pen and the autograph doesn’t show up that well.

The little COMC order I did a little bit ago came in which had my Topps Chrome Alexa Bliss rookie, a Bowman Chrome Refractor (/249) Adam Morrison, 2000-01 Stadium Club Chrome Visionaries Paul Pierce and a Goodwin Champions VINCE RUSSO autograph.

Got a 2020 Topps Update All Star Stitches /50 patch card of Paul Goldschmidt. Won it for like $5 shipped. Goldschmidt was really nice when I met him and such a humble star that he stays under some people’s radar. Find that I’ve been getting some pretty good stuff of his at reasonable prices.

Other one that maybe @HarleyQuinn will appreciate but deviates from sports cards is there was a seller that had marked down a 2018 Undisputed Bayley /25 variant. When I went to get it, I saw they also had EXTRA 20% IF YOU BUY THREE. There was no other Bayley stuff, there was a cool Charlotte card I thought about but it looked like it had some white corners. Then I noticed they had some Marvel cards so I got a Skybox eX of Spider-Man Noir which is a clear card and looks really cool and a 2015 Skybox Marvel Masterpieces /1499 Doctor Octopus.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven’t been posting a ton of new stuff in here lately but had a couple fun things received today.

Topps and WWE recently put out a new product FULLY LOADED. It’s supposed to be like those baseball signature archives where the product is a single autograph card priced at like $60 per box. One of the big selling points is they do have a Vince McMahon autograph in the set. I checked the checklist and the main thing I wanted was there was a Bayley autograph mat relic. Seen a handful of /199 on ebay and got one of those, which arrived today. I guess they have different rarities because I think I saw there was a /99 that sold on eBay but I haven’t looked into it. They had her sign a black NXT mat with a gold pen and the autograph doesn’t show up that well.

Other one that maybe @HarleyQuinn will appreciate but deviates from sports cards is there was a seller that had marked down a 2018 Undisputed Bayley /25 variant. When I went to get it, I saw they also had EXTRA 20% IF YOU BUY THREE. There was no other Bayley stuff, there was a cool Charlotte card I thought about but it looked like it had some white corners. Then I noticed they had some Marvel cards so I got a Skybox eX of Spider-Man Noir which is a clear card and looks really cool and a 2015 Skybox Marvel Masterpieces /1499 Doctor Octopus.
Yeah, I saw that Bliss and Liv both had a card in the Fully Loaded set. Just not a fan of the Auto/Mat stuff tbh. I think I also saw the same user/store and they had a few Liv cards but I opted not to pull the trigger just yet. Kind of balancing letting the market dip/fall before I really target their cards a bit and instead opting to go through Beckett and snag serial numbered stuff that's a bit more under the radar for now.

I had snagged that '90 Griffey PSA 9 for $19.99 way earlier that, to my eyes, could've been a PSA 10 with the right grader. There's a PSA 10 going for $127.50 with just under 7 hours left...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just did this Beckett order for $80 (after putting $500 into Savings) via Three Star Sportscards and Diamond Jim's. This is an example of where I'm trying to zag a little bit and get some Hall of Fame players with fairly "low" serial numbers from under the radar sets: 2017-2020 Topps Archive in this case. For the modern-day players, I've been targeting guys I think have a legitimate chance to cement their HOF status over the next 3-6 seasons. Age + Stats play a factor as well thus my general avoidance of guys like Aaron Judge or Paul Goldschmidt mostly due to their ages and where they are at stat-wise.

Only 4 cards were $6+ and Bryce Harper was the highest at $10 but I don't have many of him in my collection. A lot of "modern-day" players were very overpriced like $10+ for cards /99 or /175 compared to HOFers like Chipper Jones, Smoltz, McCovey, and Carew. Just crazy that I picked up 11 cards /75 or less including 3 at /25 and yet on Ebay a 2020 Topps Archive base RC of Luis Robert went for $6 + $4.45 Shipping...

Peach /199: Earl Weaver (Manager)
Purple /175: Jose Altuve, Robin Roberts
Silver /99: Jose Altuve, Chipper Jones, Ernie Banks
Blue /75: Robinson Cano, Duke Snider
Red /75: John Smoltz, Juan Marichal, Willie McCovey, Larry Doby, Rod Carew
Orange Foil /75: Bryce Harper
Blue /25: Larry Doby, Alex Rodriguez, Wade Boggs

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
In BIG NEWS Select Football (and presumably Select Basketball) is likely hitting Retail Shelves with Hangers, Blasters, and Mega Boxes of their own in late March. For a lot of "Investors" they were praising Select for the fact that they were 'Hobby Only' and likely had smaller Print Runs as a result. As a brand, I think this is super smart of Select especially with the market as hot as it is. They'll get their name out to far more people and even if it's like Mosaic and people have to wait 6+ months for it to really populate shelves, brand recognition among the masses is a huge chip to have.

Bowman, Topps, Donruss, Fleer, NBA Hoops, etc. didn't become "flagship" products because they catered to particular aspects of the market. They were everywhere and everybody knew the brand name.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Topps Baseball 2021 came out today. I was going to try to get a box off Topps, which is significantly cheaper than other sellers but what a mess.

They didn’t put them up until noon eastern, which seemed odd but whatever. Then it was impossible to sign in and you must sign in to buy. It took me about twenty minutes to even get to sign in. Then when I did, the boxes didn’t appear in cart. When trying to add now, it says I already met the purchase limit - with an empty cart.

Not going to pay after market as I didn’t really have anything in this set I was hunting.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Topps Baseball 2021 came out today. I was going to try to get a box off Topps, which is significantly cheaper than other sellers but what a mess.

They didn’t put them up until noon eastern, which seemed odd but whatever. Then it was impossible to sign in and you must sign in to buy. It took me about twenty minutes to even get to sign in. Then when I did, the boxes didn’t appear in cart. When trying to add now, it says I already met the purchase limit - with an empty cart.

Not going to pay after market as I didn’t really have anything in this set I was hunting.
I'll probably try and scope out some of the singles, if I remember to, in a month or two's time (mostly the Rookie Cups/Future Stars if I care enough for the 'base' or serial #d stuff otherwise). I'd rather 'Singles' chase if I wanted to prospect any of these players.

Notable RCs = Albert Abreu, Jo Adell, Joey Bart, Alec Bohm, Dylan Carlson, Bobby Dalbec, Dane Dunning, Luis Garcia, Spencer Howard, Triston McKenzie, Casey Mize, Cristian Pache, Nate Pearson, Sixto Sanchez, Brady Singer, Leody Tavares, Evan White
Rookie Cup = Tony Gonsolin, Kyle Lewis
Future Star = Aristides Aquino, Bo Bichette, Trent Grisham, Nico Hoerner, Gavin Lux, Jesus Luzardo, Brendan McKay

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably try and scope out some of the singles, if I remember to, in a month or two's time (mostly the Rookie Cups/Future Stars if I care enough for the 'base' or serial #d stuff otherwise). I'd rather 'Singles' chase if I wanted to prospect any of these players.

Notable RCs = Albert Abreu, Jo Adell, Joey Bart, Alec Bohm, Dylan Carlson, Bobby Dalbec, Dane Dunning, Luis Garcia, Spencer Howard, Triston McKenzie, Casey Mize, Cristian Pache, Nate Pearson, Sixto Sanchez, Brady Singer, Leody Tavares, Evan White
Rookie Cup = Tony Gonsolin, Kyle Lewis
Future Star = Aristides Aquino, Bo Bichette, Trent Grisham, Nico Hoerner, Gavin Lux, Jesus Luzardo, Brendan McKay
I lied, lol. Snagged a couple Hobby Boxes off DACW for $148 each. 2 Hobby Boxes were about $39 more than a Jumbo Box (10 Packs, 46 Cards - 460 Cards) but I'll get 672 Cards total so about 0.18 per 'extra card' instead. I just needed something to rip and Donruss Optic/Prizm/Select Football are gonna be way out of my budget already.

$296/672 Cards = $0.44 per Card vs. $257/440 Cards = $0.58 per Card

That'll likely be the only Hobby Boxes I rip for the entire year after going 9 Months not ripping any boxes from July - February.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Ouch! $148 each? The max quantity was sitting in my cart when I tried to check an hour after my post - 2 boxes. Topps was only charging $79.99 each. I hate these places charging nearly double...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch! $148 each? The max quantity was sitting in my cart when I tried to check an hour after my post - 2 boxes. Topps was only charging $79.99 each. I hate these places charging nearly double...
It's not the ideal price but considering each Hobby Box has 336 cards... I've seen far worse "value" to be honest. For comparison (and I'm not saying they should be this price either), 2020-21 NBA Hoops is $395/192 Cards, which is $2.06 a card.

Steel City has a 36 Pack Gravity Feed at $135.95 and 24 Pack Retail Box at $89.95. Their Hobby Box price is $149.95

Ebay has them going for $120 - $140 already. DACW had a listing and sold it for $163.95(!)

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
No, that’s true. It’s not as bad as others but just frustrating you still got stuck with that level of markup.

DACW had been my go to for boxes but a few times recently I’ve found better deals plus coupons with Steel City. Actually, that reminds me I put a deposit on some of the next WWE Women’s set noticing the preorder tends to be much cheaper and it goes bonkers around release. I think that date finally got announced for April so I need to check.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
lol- just got the YOU DID NOT WIN email from when I bid on a Hoops autograph of Celtics rookie Payton Prichard when it first went up. The card sold for $91 plus shipping. I like him watching him play and think he may wind up having a solid NBA career but not on the All-Star level. Who is paying $100 for his autograph?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I actually just scored a handful of Jackie Bradley Jr cards super cheap. Just won an auction for his 2013 Bowman Chrome Rookie for 32 cents shipped.

I won a lot with his 2010 Team USA Bowman Platinum and 2013 Topps Chrome RC for $2.49.

Found another seller with his 1st Bowman Chrome prospect card at $2. I had this before he ever got in the majors but I had sent it to him to try to get autographed and I don’t think he sent it back with his “unable to sign” letter. The seller had a multi-buy discount so I got 2 for $3.60 in hopes one looks good enough to grade.

I had been watching a PSA 10 of his standard Topps 2013 rookie and the seller offered it to me for $19 plus free shipping, so I took it.

I don’t think JBJ will be a super valued player but I enjoy him and he likely would never leave my collection. Plus I can bury myself in JBJ and Benintendi while kicking myself for not getting more Mookie Betts back in the day. His rookie has gone crazy spiking recently and that’s a card I should’ve gotten years ago.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
lol- just got the YOU DID NOT WIN email from when I bid on a Hoops autograph of Celtics rookie Payton Prichard when it first went up. The card sold for $91 plus shipping. I like him watching him play and think he may wind up having a solid NBA career but not on the All-Star level. Who is paying $100 for his autograph?
Prices have gotten baffling... The '90 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. PSA 10s are selling for $196-$210... Literally almost $200 more than I paid for my PSA 9(!). I do think the additional $400 Unemployment stuff and future $1,400 Stimulus Check is a big key factor in this much like the August jumps.

Tyrese Haliburton Autos went for $365 and $348. He's averaging 12 PPG & 5.3 APG with just 1 start to his name.
Desmond Bane Auto went for $57 and he's averaging 9.8 PPG & 2.7 RPG with just 1 start to his name.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually just scored a handful of Jackie Bradley Jr cards super cheap. Just won an auction for his 2013 Bowman Chrome Rookie for 32 cents shipped.

I won a lot with his 2010 Team USA Bowman Platinum and 2013 Topps Chrome RC for $2.49.

Found another seller with his 1st Bowman Chrome prospect card at $2. I had this before he ever got in the majors but I had sent it to him to try to get autographed and I don’t think he sent it back with his “unable to sign” letter. The seller had a multi-buy discount so I got 2 for $3.60 in hopes one looks good enough to grade.

I had been watching a PSA 10 of his standard Topps 2013 rookie and the seller offered it to me for $19 plus free shipping, so I took it.

I don’t think JBJ will be a super valued player but I enjoy him and he likely would never leave my collection. Plus I can bury myself in JBJ and Benintendi while kicking myself for not getting more Mookie Betts back in the day. His rookie has gone crazy spiking recently and that’s a card I should’ve gotten years ago.
I have some Benintendi, Bogearts, and Devers RCs in my collection. I don't really like JBJ because he peaked in 2016 and has a career .262 BA at Fenway Park and .217 BA on the road... the fuck, how do you not even stumble your way into hitting .275 at Fenway fucking Park?!? Tim Goddamn Naehring hit .295 at Fenway for his career and .269 on the road and he wasn't half the hitter JBJ should be. /Rant

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed an insane premium between 9s and 10s and while obviously most prefer 10s, that big difference you saved on the Griffey is incredible. And who knows? Some of those you could probably crack and get a 10 upon resubmitting.

I did get some of the Topps Baseball since basketball is basically unattainable in box form and it is a bit until the new WWE release. Glad I am doing my little Bayley and Paul Pierce pickups among some of my random ones because even new basketball singles are starting to feel not worth it for the long term.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I have some Benintendi, Bogearts, and Devers RCs in my collection. I don't really like JBJ because he peaked in 2016 and has a career .262 BA at Fenway Park and .217 BA on the road... the fuck, how do you not even stumble your way into hitting .275 at Fenway fucking Park?!? Tim Goddamn Naehring hit .295 at Fenway for his career and .269 on the road and he wasn't half the hitter JBJ should be. /Rant
Tim Goddamn Naehring would be a fantastic username.

I did get a 1st Bowman Devers for a few bucks the other day. I just worry his consistency. My Bogaerts is sitting at PSA already.

I think JBJ is one of the most talented defensive players, which is why I have a soft spot for him. His hitting has been awful outside getting hot at the right times in the last World Series. I think also because him and Bogearts were guys I followed in the minors, I root for them more - even though Xander is another one that I feel could be better if it felt like he cared a little more.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
anger post:

My fault for pre-packing 20+ orders in advance so all I'd have to do is print the shipping label when I was ready, but BGS just increased prices again. For the facebook bulk group I'm in, cheapest no sub economy is now $20 per card, up from $12 per card. I'd prepacked 8 card subs, with forms already printed, en masse so that my final before paypal fees, auto fees, and shipping would be $96. For economy WITH subs, it is now $35 per card, up from $25. I was using that for my lower print run stuff at 4 per sub to pay $100 when done.

Just two days ago I figured out that with the way the backlog is running, I could submit 4 of my no subgrades with 4 subgrades in the same box, they wouldn't clear at the same time, but I'd move more product out of my room quicker (OR just add 2 subgrades to each 8 card no subgrade sub). So now I'm either going to have to pay $64 more per 8 card sub ($40 for the with subgrades) by not touching anything, OR revise my whole process.

That's also not even discussing I send one BAS per package also.

My OTHER bulk guy literally does pro bono behind the scenes stuff for beckett (He's asked us to not reveal details of his group so I'm being vague) and he's even at his wits end with them. Flatly told us in a group email to stop sending him BGS stuff for now as he's only plugging away PSA stuff or on hand BGS stuff he hasn't subbed yet. Needless to say, my last BGS return that I shared last week was from June, one of four I submitted June 2020, and I still have not heard anything on the 2 I submitted before it or the one I submitted last week of June. They really got my nerves worked right now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
anger post:

My fault for pre-packing 20+ orders in advance so all I'd have to do is print the shipping label when I was ready, but BGS just increased prices again. For the facebook bulk group I'm in, cheapest no sub economy is now $20 per card, up from $12 per card. I'd prepacked 8 card subs, with forms already printed, en masse so that my final before paypal fees, auto fees, and shipping would be $96. For economy WITH subs, it is now $35 per card, up from $25. I was using that for my lower print run stuff at 4 per sub to pay $100 when done.

Just two days ago I figured out that with the way the backlog is running, I could submit 4 of my no subgrades with 4 subgrades in the same box, they wouldn't clear at the same time, but I'd move more product out of my room quicker (OR just add 2 subgrades to each 8 card no subgrade sub). So now I'm either going to have to pay $64 more per 8 card sub ($40 for the with subgrades) by not touching anything, OR revise my whole process.

That's also not even discussing I send one BAS per package also.

My OTHER bulk guy literally does pro bono behind the scenes stuff for beckett (He's asked us to not reveal details of his group so I'm being vague) and he's even at his wits end with them. Flatly told us in a group email to stop sending him BGS stuff for now as he's only plugging away PSA stuff or on hand BGS stuff he hasn't subbed yet. Needless to say, my last BGS return that I shared last week was from June, one of four I submitted June 2020, and I still have not heard anything on the 2 I submitted before it or the one I submitted last week of June. They really got my nerves worked right now.
Just saw that BGS jacked up their prices across the board. Beckett's fucked this up so hard between the 'Fake Slab' stuff, delayed turnaround times, and raised prices. I'm glad I turned to pick up more PSA graded stuff off Ebay recently. A lot of the BGS benefit were their Subgrades and now there's stuff like HGA and CGS (CGC?) that are grading with subgrades at cheaper prices and faster turnaround times with technological advances in the case of HGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.