Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't try too often for modern stuff but today I'm bidding on a 2018 Flawless Addie Joss dual jersey card. Well a modern card but the memorabilia is well over 100 years old. Each piece has 2 pinstripes, #d out of 15. If I lose, I'll probably go for one of the BIN vintage cards in my watchlist before it's too late.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't try too often for modern stuff but today I'm bidding on a 2018 Flawless Addie Joss dual jersey card. Well a modern card but the memorabilia is well over 100 years old. Each piece has 2 pinstripes, #d out of 15. If I lose, I'll probably go for one of the BIN vintage cards in my watchlist before it's too late.
A lot of the materials cards from those types of players are very unique cards. Hope you win it!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Think I mentioned it here before but I had ordered a pretty rare Bayley autograph from a seller in Germany in December. It finally arrived today. I looked on the invoice and the date was 12/8 and the seller wrote me a note to wish me a Merry Christmas.

A couple other fun things I think I mentioned before showed up - a PSA 2014 Excalibur Crusade Gold (/10) Ryan Anderson I won for under $10 shipped, a couple insert cards for my 2020 WWE Finest Master set attempt, 2021 Donruss Jalen Smith Press Proof (both the white /199 and blue laser /49), 2004 Chrome Robert Swift Black Refractor (/500) RC and the previously mentioned Bayley.

I don’t know how far apart the Jalen Smith wins were but they were both the same seller so I got two separate envelopes that the seller spent $4.45 on each. Not the wisest thing from either myself or him.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently (shock) PSA's trotted out another SCAM to get $$ from idiots who are slaves to the grades. Before, they used to do 'Min Size' and send cards back without pocketing the grading fees. NOW they are sending cards back with 'Evid Trim' (evidence of trimming) and pocketing the grading fees on top of that, basically hoping the people resubmit those cards for even more $$.

No wonder Nat Turner and his group took PSA private.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just had to issue a partial on eBay. Back lower corner of a graded case had a chip. The fact that the dude's email opened with full and send back or partial for his troubles told me to not even bother trying to dance with this guy. Offered him $5 toward a reslab fee and he accepted.

It was the first thing I saw after waking up from a recliner nap so I was cranky and knew anything I tried to out maneuver him would be me coming from a place of malice not logic.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
okd8t43xa0m61.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Just read some of Topps changes to the next few WWE sets. The Road to Wrestlemania was all on card stock that represented the originally intended Hollywood show so they scrapped that entirely. The Women’s Division release that was supposed to happen in 2020 is now the next one up in April. They have scrapped the retail release making it hobby only and have changed it from being a box of 24 packs of 12 cards (288 cards per hobby box) and now each box is one 60 card pack. That‘s quite a dramatic drop and of course, no price reduction.

I had put a deposit on a case from those as along with the Bayley collection, I wanted to try to get the booklet below that has a run of 25 in this set

2020-topps-wwe-womens-division-four-horsewomen-of-wwe-auto-book-e1593624484152.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The Finest Gold (/10) Bayley ended this morning and I won. Got bid up a bit but I believe I still paid a few bucks less for this than I did for the /25 when that one surfaced. So now I truly have the entire rainbow outside the Superfractor, which I mentioned disappeared without sale a few days after I declined the seller’s counteroffer. Based on the prices of the items in that guy’s store when it was up, not optimistic I will ever get it, as it seemed like everything was marked significantly higher.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So the variant cover arrived and it's even better in person :D Worth every penny of the $14.99 price point. Interestingly, I don't think I ever actually owned this particular issue so that makes it even more special to have. The BTAS #28 issue was one of the first comics I picked up and still remains one of my favorite covers.

794937.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Took advantage of the free shipping deal Beckett Marketplace had end of February. Order arrived this morning. 87 Fleer XRC of Greg Maddux was a steal at $8.40 until it arrived and I examined it. Lots of scuffing for a card listed as "NM/Mint" so not happy about that. On the flip side, graded examples of the card aren't exactly too wallet friendly either.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Think I posted about getting a Robbie Ray card that was PSA 10 but not labeled as the correct variant which was a print run of 25. After I got from the eBay seller, I wrote PSA and they told me they would relabel and reholder for free. I sent it in right away, got checked in there January 18th and then they started processing on January 22nd. Been sitting in Assembly for a long time now but noticed it was in the QA step today. Got an email later saying my grades are available, which was same grade with new details. Hoping that means it finally comes back soon. Though two months for that service which was much quicker when I did it last Fall makes me continue to wonder when I will ever see my submitted cards again.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Took advantage of the free shipping deal Beckett Marketplace had end of February. Order arrived this morning. 87 Fleer XRC of Greg Maddux was a steal at $8.40 until it arrived and I examined it. Lots of scuffing for a card listed as "NM/Mint" so not happy about that. On the flip side, graded examples of the card aren't exactly too wallet friendly either.
Yeah. I've found cards through Beckett can vary pretty greatly especially Raws of older cards.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've always been super nervous when selling ungraded cards, vintage especially, online. I try to give it an accurate grade and describe it as well as possible. But I always worry I'll miss something. Not so much the newer stuff because that goes straight from pack to sleeve/case. Not very helpful to post obviously scuffed cards as "near mint."

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I've always been super nervous when selling ungraded cards, vintage especially, online. I try to give it an accurate grade and describe it as well as possible. But I always worry I'll miss something. Not so much the newer stuff because that goes straight from pack to sleeve/case. Not very helpful to post obviously scuffed cards as "near mint."
That’s the exact issue I’ve had and why I tried grading so many cards recently. I’ve sold some action figure and collectible stuff but usually put in a disclaimer that I don’t know how to analyze package well enough to make a MOC collector happy so my listings are better for people who plan to open and enjoy. Not sure I could do the same with cards.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of grading, FINALLY:

1GyBy27.jpg

There was a footprint on the bubble envelope. When I opened it up there was another bubble envelope wrapped with at least three layers of bubble wrap. Card and case look better than my cell phone photo. Checked sold listings since February 22 (date of purchase) and seems like they're still trending higher and higher. Going to do a proper scan with the epson tomorrow morning.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Great pickup. One of my favorite cards, think I mentioned before I was gifted this card when I was little. Mine is sitting at PSA, I have no idea what grade to expect.

Reactions: SFH

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Nice seeing some movement at PSA now. My reholder Robbie Ray shipped yesterday and one of my January packages is now entered, which was much quicker than the last package of the same service level. Haven’t checked the tracker today to see if we are getting any closer to some of my earlier submissions being done.

In today’s “This Market is Wild” stories, the talk in the @alkeiper thread about Terry Steinbach had me looking his graded cards. Cheapest thing that was PSA 10 was a 1995 Topps that was still like $40! Guessing not too many people have tried getting Terry Steinbach graded cards though. I did see some 8 and 9 at decent prices.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I scanned my BAS/BGS returns this morning, realized I had it set to .tif, so they're all north of 5MB files. Facebook took the scans but no way is the BGS registry going to let me upload that, and I'm not about to throw 25 MB worth of photos in one post, so I'll be looking at converting them.

EDIT: Got them down to under 1MB each

Two cracked slabs that were recased.
LgcF2eb.jpg

ey7DRWm.jpg

Obtained in person:

RdvRaKs.jpg

3R4VwoY.jpg

Submitted via a private signing:

0vFM2f4.jpg

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That Harding card is really cool. I also liked that Dave Thomas because I had gotten the Topps Chrome Thomas auto rookie not too long ago for cheap.

• Love
Reactions: SFH

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Someone posted this video on blowout as a reason that all the PSA stuff is backed up. I’m not one to judge what people want graded because I sent some common stuff in for either collections I was working on or of big name guys but this guy is sending a bunch of trash acting like he is going to clean up.

I’m ashamed to admit I watched almost the whole half an hour because I was just compelled. Homeboy has like 17, 18 and 19 of the same bowling cards and is talking about how much he is going to clean up and corner the market. He was bragging a dollar a card and $12 in grading, he will clean up. Maybe it’s me but I factor shipping and handling into my decisions. Even if he doesn’t, I feel if he sells one at $20 breaks even between cost and shipping. I have a hard time seeing one of those selling at $20, let alone higher and in THOSE numbers. I have a couple oddball things at PSA but that quantity of those junk cards blows my mind. I’d really like to see if this guy is really turning a profit on cards because the majority of his submission seems like a bad idea. He was also highlighting a card depicting Trump’s Playboy cover. I looked at his video where talked about what he sold at a card show and laughed that he was trying to sell people some of the Trump that he didn’t submit to PSA and no one was interested.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair, that Jeff Gordon Traks card in a PSA 9 seems to be going for at least $55+ and has gone up by $25-$30 since December over the course of just a few months.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The Gordon ones I understand. Even though I hate him, someone will buy the cards of their overlord DJT. I honestly do not think there is market out there for graded 1991 bowling cards. 18 cards of one guy is $216, count him getting the cards and dipping probably closer to $230. Have a hard time seeing enough moving to get the money back there.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tonight I won, by another of those second chance things, an even better modern card than the Addie Joss I'd lost a few days ago. A 1/1 2020 Tier One Lorenzo Cain bat knob card.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Been doing some serious thinking, now with Brees retired, I won't have to worry about keeping up with new cards other than "legacy" type stuff, similar to Frank Thomas. I might start being able to put a dent in my backlog of "to be graded" for my Brees and Thomas registries. Every other significant collection I have going on for HOF players, I'll never catch up to the #1s so I'm thinking everything else is going to go cheapest option route. I do have a sizable chunk of Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, and Taysom Hill stuff @ BGS going back to summer 2020 so MAYBE I'll consider keeping up with those guys in BGS slabs.

But like this Fleer Griffey rookie I picked up last week, I only have 4 other Griffey cards graded and they're all 4 BGS. A 5 card Griffey registry isn't getting me anywhere, I just assume spend $8 @ CSG.

I recently secured several 1920s-30s tobacco era cards that I had lined up for SGC until they jumped their prices to a staggering extent similar to PSA/BGS. There's no way I can rationally justify $20/card unless I'm confident they'll grade high enough to flip.

Someone posted this video on blowout as a reason that all the PSA stuff is backed up. I’m not one to judge what people want graded because I sent some common stuff in for either collections I was working on or of big name guys but this guy is sending a bunch of trash acting like he is going to clean up.

I’m ashamed to admit I watched almost the whole half an hour because I was just compelled. Homeboy has like 17, 18 and 19 of the same bowling cards and is talking about how much he is going to clean up and corner the market. He was bragging a dollar a card and $12 in grading, he will clean up. Maybe it’s me but I factor shipping and handling into my decisions. Even if he doesn’t, I feel if he sells one at $20 breaks even between cost and shipping. I have a hard time seeing one of those selling at $20, let alone higher and in THOSE numbers. I have a couple oddball things at PSA but that quantity of those junk cards blows my mind. I’d really like to see if this guy is really turning a profit on cards because the majority of his submission seems like a bad idea. He was also highlighting a card depicting Trump’s Playboy cover. I looked at his video where talked about what he sold at a card show and laughed that he was trying to sell people some of the Trump that he didn’t submit to PSA and no one was interested.
That video also got shared on Blowout as an example as to why the backlog is happening.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Just a heads up for those who haven’t experienced that new shipping rate for under $20 cards in PWE from eBay. If you haven’t tried or read yet yourself, they are having a lot of issues with the tracking.

There are several that are never getting scanned or the scans aren’t working. I know I’ve left feedback on a few that looks like they haven’t shipped. I’ve seen on different sites people claiming less than honest buyers taking advantage of this and claiming they are not getting their cards.

I’ve had a couple things linger. My worst experience wasn’t too bad. Yesterday I got notice a cheap insert I got of Suns rookie Jalen Smith was delivered but it was not in my mail. I figured I’d wait it out because the way the delivery tracking showed made me feel like that’s when it arrived at my local postal distribution center. Sure enough, it was in today’s mail.

If I get brave enough to try to move any cards, I’m pretty certain I won’t be using this service until they fix some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.