Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Had a couple pick ups over the past week, just really been trying to calm down after going ham starting up like the Bayley collecting and doing a few other things surrounding the attempt to grade. Right now, I still don’t have any cards and with the jacked up prices, I don’t have any interest in getting anything additional sent to grading any time soon.

I found a seller that had good prices on the last few base cards from the WWE Finest set I needed and a few of the inserts, so I got those. The seller also had the Prizm Sabrina Ionescu WNBA rookie for a decent price and I decided I wanted that, since she is touted as the next big thing. Probably overpaid if she doesn’t pan out, as I really think the WNBA card surge is just another part of how wild the market is.

Other pick ups of note that arrived were that /10 Finest Gold Bayley I mentioned before, a Bowman Chrome prospects Green /99 of Diamondbacks prospect Geraldo Perdomo I got for $1.50 shipped, a Topps on card /80 David Price Red Sox auto that I thi was like $6-$8 and the 2021 Topps Stars in Service Mookie Betts, which I got for a buck because it is Mookie in a Dodgers hard hat for some charity event.

Hasn’t been much new on the Bayley front. I’ve picked up a couple extra serial numbered cards I have if they have been cheap enough. I was poking around on the NBA rookies yesterday and stumbled on an ending auction for Heat 1st round pick Precious Achiuwa for his rookie jersey auto from Certified. Won it for a little under $22, I figured why not. The day before I had also won a PSA 9 of a 2017 Prizm Kevin Durant Fundamentals insert for $17.46 shipped. Considering the lowest base grading fee on that card would be $20, I grabbed it. Don’t have having a nice graded Warriors Durant card but would be one I wouldn’t mind parting for a decent profit if there is a Durant surge during the playoffs, which I kinda expect.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reslab due to cracked case:
Y0VP6q8.jpg

Some Series One GPK:

1hqvuFp.jpg

bdzH77n.jpg

Ebay Purchase:

bacgbKj.jpg

Some for the #1 BGS Brees registry:

072LzHk.jpg

Corners :(
udazl6B.jpg

eyCNvsh.jpg

F84rNUk.jpg

FiI0PkK.jpg

ET4TJkc.jpg

And now the 1/1 that I can't get anyone to admit exists. The grading serial # gives a hockey card. The card indicates there's an autograph, there isn't. Thanks to the research of an awesome member of the hobby, I found out this was given away at a trade show in Hawaii. I bought it on eBay not long after the event and almost immediately had it graded. Beckett will not create it in their database or registry. I spoke to Panini and they wanted it back. I tried getting a hobby peer to submit it under their subs, already slabbed just give me a new serial #, Beckett wouldn't cooperate, Panini still wants it back. My limited legal knowledge is that it was given to someone who legally sold it on ebay, I legally bought it and had it graded. I could have done any number of shady things with the error printing/lack of autograph but i did not. So here we are over 10 years after the card was produced, I still can't add it to the registry, a hobby peer couldn't get it pushed through either, and Panini asks us to mail it in any time they're emailed about it. At this point I have no idea what a 1/1 BGS 9.5 of a card that Panini doesn't want circulating is worth, but it'd have to be a life changing amount of money to get me to part with it at this point:

k6Ca6wG.jpg
[/spoiler
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Been building up my Savings a bit so I haven't been into the cards as much lately. Added around $2,200 to my Savings thanks to the Stimulus + Work so I'm trying to get that up before diving back in as heavily.

Starting to see some CGC pop up though on Ebay, especially of Pokemon cards. The slabs are fine and I do like that the grade is big so it grabs your eye but I feel like they leave a lot of 'blank space' for the actual card name that could be larger instead but its reminiscent of how their comic grades look so it makes sense.

s-l1600.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My first CSG submission just got to my bulk sub guy's mailbox today. I did a 60 day order on an assortment of low value things just to see if I can get a general idea of how they grade different things:

cLBkKRT.jpg

First two are Italian Garbage Pail Kids in what I'd guess are 6-7 condition.

I threw in two Chargers cards of recent players but different sets, just to see what happens there. Myslabs isn't letting CSG be listed so those will be Facebook or eBay fodder if they grade high enough.

Next 3 are rookies I wasn't going to send to the other 3 companies, aren't moving raw, hoping getting them in a 9 or higher slab will catch more eyes. I know Lauletta is going to be a very small niche' market and might sit a while.

The Burrow isn't an officially licensed card, has him in his LSU uniform with a copyright date from before he signed with LSU. All sorts of things wrong with it existing. I want to see how they handle unlicensed product. I know I've seen the same card in a GMA holder during my research, so I want to see CSG's action with it.

And I threw in the last two while he was still on the Saints roster, he got cut the same day the mail man picked up the box. So those will be going up for sale, probably.

Not sure when my guy is going to mail them to CSG, so I don't know when my clock is going to start.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Have to admit I was surprised to see Rosen given he probably is out of the league soon at this rate but I do admit, if I saw a well-graded card of him at a decent price, I’d probably just pick it up as a history of the local team piece. Heck, I know I’ve done it with cheap enough slabs I’ve had less association with.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
After calming down a bit, had a fun little mail day today:

- WWE Finest 2020 Kalisto - he was part of the SP Extended Base, found him for a fair price to try to complete the set. Seller was from Canada and also sent a ton of 93 Classic Hockey Draft Picks. Knowing so little hockey, the only name I was familiar with was a massively off-centered card of Todd Bertuzzi.

- Finest 2020 Bayley Green (/99) variant - I have a few of these now but I‘m not sure on the total count. Pretty sure I have at least one sitting at PSA too. Won an auction cheap enough to bump my ownership of the total pop.

- The PSA 9 2017 Prizm Fundamentals Kevin Durant I mentioned recently showed up. Very nice.

- 2020 WNBA Prizm Candace Parker Red Variant (/275). I’ve picked up a couple of the WNBA cards of special players, as this is going to be an early premium set if women’s sports keep growing. Not only is Candace a legend on the court but she has quickly become one of the best analysts in my opinion, so she will be relevant for a long time to come. I looked her up one night and watched this at a fair price. When the seller offered me a couple bucks off, I decided to go for it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
So here’s an interesting one. I think I shared some time back that I put the deposit on a case of the WWE Women’s Division set that is now set for April. I had seen a little bit back they changed the format of the box and details changed. I finally noticed today I had an email from last week alerting me of the change in product details (12 boxes dropped to 8 and the boxes are structured differently). It indicated the price were going up, they were doing a smaller print run. It told me I should log in and finish paying the rest of the case so it ships on time.

Much to my surprise, the amount it said I still owed was way less than what they are charging for cases now. I am thinking/hoping/wishing if this is really it, I may have gotten a case for over half the price it is now.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have to admit I was surprised to see Rosen given he probably is out of the league soon at this rate but I do admit, if I saw a well-graded card of him at a decent price, I’d probably just pick it up as a history of the local team piece. Heck, I know I’ve done it with cheap enough slabs I’ve had less association with.
The bulk price is $8/card so it's worth the gamble to me if I can break even on the experiment. I'll probably list it @ double break even point (after I factor in shipping, et al..) and see where the bites go from there. I actually have a box of low end college stuff I'm probably going to just donate to the LCS down the street, has a few Rosen cards in there. I thought about pulling those as well but changed my mind.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Decided to beef up my Tom Brady card collection, especially as a Patriots homer and him being the hands down GOAT in the NFL. Jumped on 29 Inserts from 2005-2014 (including multiple ones #'d /1000, which doesn't sound "low" but is still low relative to other cards/brands). I varied between aesthetic appeal, serial number scarcity, and product. I've also gravitated more towards the cards given out at Conventions because I think their scarcity is lower than people think.

Some pictorial examples.
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg
front.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Very nice stuff. I never got too many football cards so I do have a lot of regrets now not having Brady cards that I should have. I mean, I’ve been early on getting some many Celtics and Red Sox that didn’t pan out early, I really should’ve gotten Brady back when prices were more reasonable.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice stuff. I never got too many football cards so I do have a lot of regrets now not having Brady cards that I should have. I mean, I’ve been early on getting some many Celtics and Red Sox that didn’t pan out early, I really should’ve gotten Brady back when prices were more reasonable.
Yeah. I spent about $140 on the 29 Inserts ($4.83 per card) and I targeted the Inserts mainly because even the base cards in sets were being offered at $3+ from 2001-2004. I particularly love that Montana/Aikman/Brady card even if it's #'d /1000 as I think those Donruss Classic cards from 2005-2009 are super underappreciated in the hobby because they aren't flashy or chrome'd out.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My 1/1 Lorenzo Cain bat knob was shipped from Canada but arrived a few days earlier than expected (today). Along with a Charles Woodson auto, it's my favorite modern/contemporary card.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had a lot of 4 SGC graded Staffords scanned 2x2 on Myslabs for $200. Was getting nothing in the way of offers (minimum was $120) so this morning I broke them up into four separate listings. Already made $74 off of two of them. So I took down a few things I thought should have already moved (graded rookies) and relisted them to pop up in the newer listings. No bites yet, but they're closer to the top instead of the bottom now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to be leerier of lots myself and prefer to buy individual cards as I'm pretty selective about my pickups. Speaking of pickups... in a rare RPA snag for myself, I got a 2020 Absolute RPA /99 of Van Jefferson for $24.99 (+$3.99 shipping). Actually saved about $5 compared to the original asking price + shipping. I really liked VJ as a future productive NFL WR coming out of college, he's playing in a higher-powered offense, and I just really like his signature.

There were some Limited RPAs that looked really nice but the price tags were a little too high for my comfort level. Would've preferred those price points if he had a legitimate NT/Flawless/Immaculate card out there.

s-l1600.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
A couple new arrivals past couple days.

Yesterday
2020-21 Donruss Onyeka Okongwu Orange Laser rookie
2019 Topps WWE Money in the Bank Gold Variant (/10) Bayley

Today
PSA 8 2019 Stadium Club Red Foil Variant Mookie Betts

I had been looking at that Mookie raw for some time as it is a really cool picture and the red foil on the Red Sox was a nice touch. Found this 8 going for $9.99 plus $4 shipping with no bids the other day and jumped in. Comes out about $10 less than grading one I found.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I don’t understand some buyers but I bet the seller of this one is happy.

Doing one of my recent eBay Bayley searches, someone had a couple of her cards for .01 with free shipping. I had then but figured under a buck, I’d get a backup. Bid like 70 cents on each. Got the alert my final chance to bid is coming. This is a base card and it up to over $6. I wanted to check if it is becoming scarce, there are still dozens of listings of the same card for way less. One seller has it for $1.19. More power to the guy who gets $6 for it but you’d think people would you know, look at other options.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Since NFL's heating up and I continue to target WRs I really liked in last year's draft class that IMO are underrated but have a chance to breakout. I jumped on a 2020 Certified /249 RPA of Antonio Gandy-Golden for just $15 plus $4.44 Shipping.

s-l1600.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I actually made a random football purchase today too because I found an auction ending and just thought it looked cool. For $24 shipped I got a PSA 10 2006 Topps Heritage Chrome (/1952) Mario Williams rookie card. I know he didn’t end up with a Hall of Fame career but a really cool serial numbered card of someone who was the 1st overall pick graded PSA 10 I felt was worth picking up considering it’s cheaper than finding one and getting it graded myself at current prices.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually made a random football purchase today too because I found an auction ending and just thought it looked cool. For $24 shipped I got a PSA 10 2006 Topps Heritage Chrome (/1952) Mario Williams rookie card. I know he didn’t end up with a Hall of Fame career but a really cool serial numbered card of someone who was the 1st overall pick graded PSA 10 I felt was worth picking up considering it’s cheaper than finding one and getting it graded myself at current prices.
Williams had a very good career but I think it would've been stronger had he not retired so young (done in the NFL after his age 31 season) and if he hadn't been the poster child as the #1 overall pick selected ahead of Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart. I remember even on the day of that draft, Williams basically had impossible expectations to fill no matter how good a career he'd have.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm glad the Texans picked Williams. Bush might not have had a Hall of Fame career in New Orleans but he was still a major part of the turnaround. Dude was doing charity shit around town before he even inked his rookie deal. He established a LOT of good will (as a person) in those few years. Did he make the rest of the NFL look like Pac10 opponents? Nah, but he was still fun to watch.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The AGG card was refunded since the seller had sold it but kept the listing up for whatever reason. Sucks for him but great for me as I jumped on a 2 Card Lot of WR Devin Duvernay for $45 one of which was a 2020 Immaculate /99 RPA and the other was an Obsidian Auto /150.

s-l500.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Reading some rumors that the WWE Women’s Division set that I preordered is now delayed again for another month into May. Before the pandemic this was slated for October 2020. Due to the pandemic the whole structure of the box has changed and now potentially delayed eight and a half months.

In stupid cheap slab pickups, I stumbled upon a Topps Chrome Matt Barkley rookie graded PSA 9 for $9.99 shipped. Not worth anything but another nice card of a guy with an interesting story for cheap.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After the Cain 1/1 arrived I ordered a 1933 Goudey Rogers Hornsby. It's SGC 1 due to some paper loss but the front image looks great.

If live music and sports starts getting back to normal, those two could be my last card buys for a while. Not a bad way to hit pause if so.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
A couple “bargains” in the mail today

PSA 10 2018 Topps Update Don’t Blink Mookie Betts - $22.55 shipped, less than it would cost just for this card’s current grading costs and feels like a good deal for a PSA 10 of a superstar

WWE Topps Chrome refractor lot - came on my radar because it has an orange /25 of Bayley but it also had orange Booker T insert and King Corbin and a gold /50 Shayna Baszler. I won this way cheaper than I paid for a single Bayley before. Only bidder winning for $1.99 plus shipping. Got all these for $6.67, three /25 cards and a /50

Status
Not open for further replies.