Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That's not bad compensation but definitely sounds like you got out ahead. I've heard there are more reputable places to do these. Diamondbacks pitcher Brad Ziegler is a collector and has hyped sme crazy pulls he's done on a website that escapes me right now.

I'm guaranteed to at least get a base card of each team too. We will see. I figure $20 was worth a gamble, although it sounds likely it will jut be a lesson to not do it again.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Looks like I did ok in the break. I got a special Anthony Davis insert and a few of the other inserts.

Out of the 4 hits in the box, I feel I got the best. Whoever got Brooklyn got two hits, as they got a Kenny Anderson relic #ed to 50 and a Tyshawn Taylor auto. Clippers winner got a Trey Thompkins auto. I had the Bucks as one of my teams and they pulled a Sidney Moncreif auto #ed to 99.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Best pull I ever had was an SP Authentic pack. Maybe 98-99. I pulled a Duncan rookie along with a mail in redemption for a signed Anferny Hardaway jersey. Took forever to get it in the mail, but the jersey was very nice. Ended up getting a couple hundred for it.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So it appears that both Topps and Panini are going to be putting Leon Sandcastle rookie cards into some 2013 sets.

leon-sandcastle-score-rookie-card-front-blog.jpg

BJGy0WUCcAEav9l.jpg

Not sure if retarded or awesome, probably both

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just snagged the following boxes...

2008 Upper Deck SPx Football Hobby Box for $129.95 (Mainly for the solid offensive rookie class: Matt Ryan, Flacco, CJ, Rice, Forte, Charles, DeSean, Jordy, Stevie Johnson etc.)
2011 Panini Timeless Treasures Football Hobby Box for $42.95 [SALE: Normally costs $100]
2011 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Football Hobby Box for $49.45 [SALE: Normally costs $130]
4x 2011 Panini Gridiron Gear Football Retail Pack FREE Gift
4x 2011 Panini Prestige Football Retail Pack FREE Gift

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Based on the free gifts and the prices on stuff, I'm gonna guess your order is from D&As?

That's pretty bad when I can look at a breakdown and have a good idea on where stuff was ordered from. I've never actually personally ordered from them cause it seems like they're always more expensive than blowout and cardsinfinity. Hopefully you get something nice from those boxes though

Even though Score fucking sucks, I'm probably gonna wind up getting a box this week when they come out just cause I want some NFL product with rookies in it. Then after that, due to the weak rookie class my plan is to be done with football this year until Chrome comes out.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Based on the free gifts and the prices on stuff, I'm gonna guess your order is from D&As?

That's pretty bad when I can look at a breakdown and have a good idea on where stuff was ordered from. I've never actually personally ordered from them cause it seems like they're always more expensive than blowout and cardsinfinity. Hopefully you get something nice from those boxes though.

Correct. I'll need to check out those other sites at some point too. Do you prefer either to the other?

I may skip the 2013 Class unless somebody really breaks out. The "best" players are either WRs or defense, with maybe a gem coming out in the QB Class. The class just feels like a 2005/2006 type group. Maybe you get 2-3 superstars but you also get a lot of 'solid' guys who simply don't amount to much long term.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I prefer cardsinfinity because I live like 15 minutes away from the physical store and can just go there and get my stuff, and may be working there part time soon(until outages start back up again)

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
fazzle said:

That's pretty bad when I can look at a breakdown and have a good idea on where stuff was ordered from. I've never actually personally ordered from them cause it seems like they're always more expensive than blowout and cardsinfinity. Hopefully you get something nice from those boxes though.

Correct. I'll need to check out those other sites at some point too. Do you prefer either to the other?

I may skip the 2013 Class unless somebody really breaks out. The "best" players are either WRs or defense, with maybe a gem coming out in the QB Class. The class just feels like a 2005/2006 type group. Maybe you get 2-3 superstars but you also get a lot of 'solid' guys who simply don't amount to much long term.

I wish I had stocked up on 2005 boxes back in the day.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
I wish I had stocked up on 2005 boxes back in the day.

Sure for the "superstars" but overall the class is pretty meh. QB = Aaron Rodgers, maybe Alex Smith. RB = Frank Gore. WR = Roddy White and Vincent Jackson. TE = Heath Miller. D = DeMarcus Ware, maybe Trent Cole.

You have maybe 5-6 surefire hits in terms of getting rookie cards but you're more likely to whiff and get somebody like QB Jason Campbell or RB Cadillac Williams or WRs Mark Clayton & Matt Jones.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rodgers is enough for me. I can actually get the book values (sometimes a bit more) for him when I do shows here in WI.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2013 I'm just glad there's a decent amount of Saints rookies available. Last year it was just Nick Toon who wasn't even playing.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn's Box Break - May 15th, 2013 - Got some really neat cards. Pictures up soon.

Open Spoiler for "Pic" Spam

2011 Panini Gridiron Gear [Packs] - 4
CB Patrick Peterson (Rookie) #119/250
PatrickPetersonRookieBack_zpsd828e80d.jpg

2011 Panini Prestige [Packs] - 4
QB Eli Manning & WR Hakeem Nicks (Connections) #5
S DeAndre McDaniel (Draft Picks Rookies) #383/999

2011 Upper Deck Sweet Spot NCAA Football
QB Andy Dalton (Rookie Signature) #60
AndyDaltonSignature_zps9e6c747b.jpg

WR Austin Pettis (Sweet Spot Rookie Signature) #71/299
AustinPettisSignature_zps6fb60ee0.jpg

WR Dwayne Harris (Sweet Spot Rookie Signatures) #370/599
DwayneHarrisSignature_zps1eb4c473.jpg

2011 Panini Timeless Treasures
WR Mike Williams [TB] #39/49
MikeWilliamsBack_zps2b37b0f7.jpg

WR Braylon Edwards (Changing Stripes Dual Jersey Patch - Browns/Jets) #181/249
BraylonEdwardsDualJersey_zpsd27122d4.jpg

RB Steven Jackson (Jersey Patch) #213/250
StevenJacksonJersey_zpsc49da2f5.jpg

WR Cecil Shorts III (Rookie Signatures) #261/299
CecilShortsSignature_zps9380f248.jpg

QB Jason Campbell #58/499
WR Reggie Wayne #424/499

2008 Upper Deck SPx Authentic
WR Jerome Simpson & Andre Caldwell & Dexter Jackson (Triple Jersey Patch) #16/25
JeromeSimpsonWRTripleJersey_zpse3194644.jpg

WR DeSean Jackson (Jersey Patch Rookie Winning Materials) #53/75
DeSeanJacksonRookie_zpsfec7ffda.jpg

WR Braylon Edwards & Mario Manningham (Dual Jersey Winning Combos) #15/99
BraylonMarioDualJersey_zps9d1a2e46.jpg

WR Randy Moss (Jersey Patch Winning Materials) #32/99
RandyMoss_zps71e7584f.jpg

QB Chad Henne (Jersey Patch Rookie Winning Materials) #55/99
ChadHenneRookie_zps1d0effc9.jpg

RB Ray Rice (Jersey Patch Winning Materials) #35/149
RayRice_zps71656fd8.jpg

WR Donnie Avery (Jersey Patch Rookie Winning Materials) #89/199
DonnieAveryRookie_zpse83aee3a.jpg

WR Earl Bennett (Rookie Autograph Jersey Patch) #160/599
EarlBennettRookieSig_zpsf9a0fd0a.jpg

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nice Dalton auto

Didn't end up getting that box of Score today because Panini waited until freakin day of release to tell shop owners that it got pushed back a week. Bought into a group break of Momentum basketball though, was disappointed because I got the Mavs, but then ended up getting a Michael Finley auto numbered to 5 and a Sam Perkins auto to 10. Or maybe it's the other way around, I don't remember. I'll find out when I pick up the cards either tomorrow or Friday

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Nice Dalton auto

Didn't end up getting that box of Score today because Panini waited until freakin day of release to tell shop owners that it got pushed back a week. Bought into a group break of Momentum basketball though, was disappointed because I got the Mavs, but then ended up getting a Michael Finley auto numbered to 5 and a Sam Perkins auto to 10. Or maybe it's the other way around, I don't remember. I'll find out when I pick up the cards either tomorrow or Friday.

Nice grabs.

Just ordered my first box from Blowout Cards: 2012 Panini Prizm Football Hobby Box $116.95 (on sale from like $139 or something)

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gotta nominate "Panini Prizm" for worst brand name for anything.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Got my 2 autos from the GB today:

img580_zps56a50bda.jpg

10/10 Perkins

img583_zpsfd8ecd6a.jpg

3/5 Finley

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Just ordered my first box from Blowout Cards: 2012 Panini Prizm Football Hobby Box $116.95 (on sale from like $139 or something)

Pretty blah box break for the price. Rookie Autos of WR Jairus Wright (#d to 299) and Travis Benjamin (#d to 499).

I'll probably stick to Upper Deck as that was the most fun/most "productive" of my box breaks thus far.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/sports/baseball/cardbored-1992-topps/

Latest CardBored article where I confess to going nose first into collecting again and here's visual evidence of my descent into trading card madness.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
I've been slowly opening my boxes and finally pulled a couple of good hits in the Gypsy Queen box.

GooseGossage.jpg

Goose Gossage Yellow Printing Plate 1/1

ElvisAndrus.jpg

Elvis Andrus Mini Wood 3/5

No list price on Beckett for either. Judging by Ebay the Mini Wood's (heh) are going anywhere from $40 to $250, Andrus I'm guessing should be around some where between $50 and $75. The Printing Plate cards are going from $20 to $100, Gossage is probably a $40 to $50 card. Only other card of real note I've pulled so far is a Yu Darvish 2012 Topps shortprint which is listed at $30. All my autograph cards so far have been nobodies.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had this full set of 1989 NBA Hoops cards since I was a kid. Like this, for example:

Michael%20Jordan%20NBA%20Hoops.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Guy I know just stopped by my office with three binders of baseball cards for appraisal.

He had three oversized cards worth in the 5-10 dollar range. The entire collection outside of those were late 80s/early 90s cards and anything even remotely interesting was damaged.

Poor guy was heart broken. I told him the same advice I've been giving, "Donate them to a children's charity of some sort and take a 1 cent per card tax deduction."

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
It is sad seeing people think that their cards from the 80's and 90's are worth anything. I had a friend with a ton of cards from that era, he bought a becket and started pricing them out. He thought he was doing good by the fact that so many cards were worth $.25-$.50. Thinking that quantity meant something in this case. I had to break it to him that it didn't matter and he wouldn't get a fraction of what the book said they were worth. No one wants you Jim Abbot and Jose Canseco Topps cards.

Reaction score
A friend gave me an Alex Rodriguez minor league card for my b-day a while ago. No idea where it is.

I have a Kobe and Allen Iverson too. I think I know where they are.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Question for the more experienced collectors, what has been your luck with redemption cards? I got my first one ever, a 2012 Bowman Platinum auto relic refractor of James Paxton (Mariners prospect), but I'm reading some horror stories over the ridiculous length of time it takes for Topps fulfill the redemptions.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I can't recall doing a Topps Redemption recently. I do remember a few years back, as a Celtics can I bought a redemption on eBay for a dual signed rookie Glen Davis/Gabe Pruitt. By the time they responded, they ran out of the card I specifically got the redemption for and sent me a Sheldon Williams jersey/auto. Not sure if at that time in those player's careers they considered it an upgrade.

Mainly collecting basketball, I do a good amount through Panini. Fairly smooth and easy to redeem there but it does take several months.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
In my not really well thought out return to baseball card collecting I had resisted the premium products as I just look at them as very expensive lottery tickets. But to date I really haven't had very many major pulls, that Elvis Andrus card I posted had been the best to date which I sold for $60. Not that I in anyway had delusions of making money on baseball cards it still would be nice to get something worthwhile. So I finally gave in and bought a box of 2013 Topps Museum Collection which comes in at over $200 for just 20 cards and to my pleasant surprise this box paid off. Here were the two big pulls, both Rangers players again.

CrKfL9NAYKPY064yHQ8TBfbW.jpg

Nolan Ryan Red Parallel 1/1

Ryan cards are always in demand and I saw the Ripken red parallel went for $220 so I'm guessing this is worth close to that.

71VEY0Wh3BAYbR5Are3efXP2.jpg

Yu Darvish Auto Relic Patch Card 5/10

Wow this is a great fucking card. These are going anywhere from $400 to $600 $425.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn I don't know shit about baseball and even I know that was a killer box.

Last box I bought was a 2013 score that had a 1/1 Jon Dwyer and a Montee Ball auto to 25...at least I think it was 25.

Edit: Where are you seeing $600 for that Yu card? Everything I'm seeing on ebay is in the $425-$400 range

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
The lowest selling price was $402 and the other two that sold were at best offer accepted so can't be sure for what they sold for. Looking at at it again more likely they sold for under $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.