Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
replace .com with .fr to see how much the best offers sold for. Used to be able to do it with .ca but they're slowly removing it from all regions

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
I was able to pull it off of WatchCount.com and you were right, the other two sold for $410 and $425. Oh well still a very high value.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah still a nasty card no doubt, considering I've been back in the collecting game for probably a year now and haven't pulled anything that sold for more than like $170

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What does it mean when something's a 1/1? Just that it's the only type of card in a series? Does the 5/10 mean that there are 9 other pieces of Darvish jersey out there, or that there are 9 other players who got the "we chopped up yo jersey" treatment that year?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes a 1/1 means it's the only one of that type of card in existence. In this case it's a 1/1 base parallel, meaning that this is what the normal card looks like

$T2eC16Z,!y0E9s2S8i1SBRsVZdCE6g~~60_12.JPG

So Bored's is the only Nolan Ryan base card from museum collection in existence to have red borders instead of silver.

Meanwhile the Darvish /10 means there are 9 other Yu Darvish autographed cards with patch chunks inserted in them as well. While they're technically all the same rarity, cards with better looking patches always sell for more than ones that are kinda plain looking.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
I need to get into this business. Not collecting them, good god no. I mean making these shits. Rollie Fingers pubes in a lazered glass sphere or something. There are people in the world wiilling to pay three+ figures for something with negligible material costs.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll agree that parallels are totally ridiculous and it makes no sense why people pay extra money for a different color, but I'm more than happy to sell them to people on ebay.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered a 2012 Upper Deck SP Signature Edition Baseball Hobby Box on sale for $109.95 (DaCardWorld has it originally for $279 and BlowOutCards has it for $225 for comparison's sake).

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
fazzle said:
I'll agree that parallels are totally ridiculous and it makes no sense why people pay extra money for a different color, but I'm more than happy to sell them to people on ebay.

I actually don't mind parallels when they are rare like this but of course every set these days has about four or five parallel sets.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just did my box break...

Upper Deck 2010 Series 1 4 Packs of Cards
Mariano Rivera Supreme Green Foil - S-83
RiveraGreenFoil_zps559f0392.jpg

2012 Upper Deck SP Signature Edition Baseball Hobby Box
1B Mark Grace Auto
MarkGraceAuto_zps5d4fb26d.jpg

Triple Signatures with SP Robbie Ross
RobbieRossTripleAuto_zpsb721b3ca.jpg

Superstars Triple Auto - Felix Hernandez/Jon Lester/James Shields 14/25(!)
FelixLesterShieldsTripleAuto_zps2359ba7a.jpg

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
The Felix/Lester/Shields is a good score.

I don't think Upper Deck could make those cards look any more bland though.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think they look that way because Upper Deck basically has the rights to use NOTHING. I could be wrong though.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered 1 2013 Topps Museum Collection Baseball Hobby Box from Blowout Cards for $198.95 (on sale from $224.99). The 2012 version is for $270 by comparison.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
I'm so tempted to pick up another box (or two) of Museum after those two killer pulls but deep down I know I should quit while I'm ahead.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just broke my 2013 Topps Museum Collector's Box. Overall, not bad. Could have been a little better but also much worse.

Spoiled for the pic spam.

Evan Longoria Game Used Bat 10/50
EvanLongoria_zpse86ac444.jpg

C.J. Wilson Auto 3 Patch Jersey 27/50
CJWilson_zps69f2c893.jpg

R.A. Dickey Quad Patch 3/99
RADickey_zps7a3dec48.jpg

Jurickson Profar Blue Paralell 97/99
JuricksonProfar_zpsa49a0ded.jpg

Willie Mays Green Paralell 4/199
WillieMays_zpsb15038f0.jpg

Bill Buckner - Autograph 275/399
BillBuckner_zps84644b4f.jpg

Jose Bautista Red Paralell 221/424
JoseBautista_zps83a88b55.jpg

Will Middlebrooks Red Paralell 97/424
WillMiddlebrooks_zpsace9eec4.jpg

Albert Pujols Canvas Collection
AlbertPujols_zps9788d59b.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered 4 boxes of 2013 Topps Series 1 Baseball Hobby Box for $150.80 thanks to Blowout Cards offering a $5 off coupon too for their July 4th Sale. Comes out to an average of $37.70 per box (already on sale from its $59.99 list price).

I also like that a lot of the 1/1 are Hobby & HTA only (same for the entirety of the Autograph Relic Cards).

I've gotten "bigger" hits through DaCardWorld but more consistent hits through Blowout Cards thus far.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Broke the 4 Boxes of Topps 2013 Series 1...

Pictures up later.

Cream of the Crop
Proven Mettle Copper - Stan Musial 99/99
Chase History Jersey Swatches - Anthony Rizzo [Rookie Walkoff], Carlos Santana [HRs by Switch Hitter], and David Ortiz [400th Home Run]

2013-07-10Cards001_zps52e928ab.jpg

2013-07-10Cards004_zpsf199027c.jpg

2013-07-10Cards003_zps809be65a.jpg

2013-07-10Cards002_zps72c3af56.jpg

Numbered to 2013 - In Order of Last Name
Chris Coghlan [1940], Ike Davis [125], Daniel Descalso [764], Rafael Dolis [1845], Octavio Dotel [1424], Doug Fister [1125], Jeremy Guthrie [394], Jerry Hairston [1777], Lucas Harrell [54], Kenley Jansen [904], Justin Maxwell [1995], Casey McGehee [412], Daniel Murphy [1042], Ramon Santiago [1532], Drew Stubbs [604], Ryan Theriot [1995]

The Greats Hobby Box Only Insert
Yogi Berra, Jimmie Foxx, Roy Halladay, Chipper Jones, Joe Morgan, Babe Ruth, Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt

Emerald Green Foils - Notable Names Only
2012 AL RBI Leaders (Cabrera, Hamilton, Encarnacion), Bartolo Colon, Ike Davis, Scott Feldman, Evan Longoria, Daniel Murphy, Jonathon Niese, Jason Vargas, Delmon Young

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
The Musial coin is a nice pull, they're going from about $20 to $30 on ebay.

The Darvish card from the Museum Collection box ended up selling for $406 and the Ryan card for $171. Of course by getting such great cards out of the box I've foolishly dove head first into the premium products buying four boxes of Bowman Inception, a box Topps Tribute WBC, and two boxes of the standard Topps Tribute that I'll be getting in the mail later this week. I don't have scans at the moment but just pulled an Addison Russell (A's top prospect) autograph printing plate from an Inception box. Other one on ebay sold for $250. Also got a Bubba Starling (Royals top prospect) redemption red parallel which should top $100. I'm selling any redemption I get now after the nightmares I've be read about Topps taking literally years to respond and replacing them with cards well below the value of the original redemption. Can't believe people are paying premium for them.

I also pre-ordered a 12 box case of Topps Chrome to try to take advantage of the ridiculous prices Yasiel Puig cards are selling for. Hopefully he stops running into walls.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm still planning on preordering a case of 2013 Topps Chrome FB at some point, but I'm still holding out hope for the price to drop before I put in for them. Cheapest I'm finding online right now is $900, if anyone knows somewhere to preorder for cheaper let me know (other than eBay. preordering on eBay is a giant fucking gamble because by the time the product actually comes out, you're way past your window for opening claims if the other person screws you)

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My brother bought one of those $10 boxes of regular 2012 Topps football half off at Walmart. Pulled a /46 Joe Montana Super Bowl MVP etching that should go for $50-60.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I finally went in and ordered a case of Chrome. I used my fanduel winnings from the other night, so the case only ended up costing me like $275. I'm pretty good with that price alright. Haven't really busted anything lately. Anyone else been buying cards?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of stopped for a while in an effort to save up some $$ for other personal needs that trump card collecting.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
I also have put a stop to the binge buying I did for a couple of months there. I still though have the Topps Chrome baseball case that I pre-ordered coming next month so we'll see once I get that if I fall off the wagon again.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't collected cards since I was a little little kid (and don't have anything from that time, not that I had anything amazing to start with), and was looking at buying a hobby box of Topps Series 2 and seeing what I pull and if I can make any sort of profit. I doubt I would actually *collect* anything, but I guess it would all depend on what I got. I'm currently on the fence about it.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
You're highly unlikely to make a profit unless you pull a rare insert card in the box as base cards pretty much sell for nothing, even rookies. But you can get a Topps Series 2 hobby box for around $40 so even if you pull nothing of note you're not exactly out a huge amount of money. But just a warning from someone who hadn't collected for over 15 years until this year, it can become very addicting.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bored said:
You're highly unlikely to make a profit unless you pull a rare insert card in the box as base cards pretty much sell for nothing, even rookies. But you can get a Topps Series 2 hobby box for around $40 so even if you pull nothing of note you're not exactly out a huge amount of money. But just a warning from someone who hadn't collected for over 15 years until this year, it can become very addicting.

Yeah, I was looking at not spending a great deal, like less than a hundred tops. Of course, I do worry a little about the addiction part, but I already collect one thing (Disney Vinylmations) and I'm not about to add anything else major. My 'back up reasoning' is 'oh, if I have a kid someday, maybe it'll be cool to have something that they can collect too'. Still, I don't see me even buying a box until late next month unless my finances take a hefty uptick.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Bored said:
I also pre-ordered a 12 box case of Topps Chrome to try to take advantage of the ridiculous prices Yasiel Puig cards are selling for. Hopefully he stops running into walls.

fazzle said:
I'm still planning on preordering a case of 2013 Topps Chrome FB at some point, but I'm still holding out hope for the price to drop before I put in for them. Cheapest I'm finding online right now is $900, if anyone knows somewhere to preorder for cheaper let me know (other than eBay. preordering on eBay is a giant fucking gamble because by the time the product actually comes out, you're way past your window for opening claims if the other person screws you)

And that's what happened to me. :'( Product was released three weeks ago but never received it. Seemed like a reputable seller but in the past month it looks like the guy just disappeared based on his reviews. I'm out $685.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=otrcomics&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of legal grounds you have to take this to a non paypal option. He took your money and didn't deliver the promised product. That's still theft no matter what.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
I don't think so and small claims court isn't an option either since he's out of state. I'm screwed. A fitting end to my return to card collecting. Never should have gotten back into it in the first place.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You paid via paypal right?

Paypay should tell you his address.

baseball bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.