Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Legends Passing Away

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Some amazing Don Sutton stats, foremost that he is 3rd all time in games started by a pitcher. Young, Ryan, Sutton. Bartolo Colon (if he hasn't officially retired) is the closest active pitcher, and he needs to start 200 more games to catch Sutton.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ted Thompson died. Played for 12 seasons, drafted Aaron Rodgers (his first pick!), and built Green Bay's last Super Bowl team.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NBC Sports just tweeted it FWIW.

I wish he was able to enjoy his success while he was still playing but glad he lived a long enough life to see his status shift from pariah to legend.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn at both Thompson and especially Aaron. One of the more impressive things about Aaron was his durability and longevity. His consistency was also insane - From 1957 to 1973 he had just 2 seasons with less than 30 HR. 8 Seasons of 40+ HR and 3 other seasons at 38 or 39 HR.

alkeiper

Reaction score
At the 1975 All Star game in Milwaukee his ovation is wonderful. Of course the racism he faced was beyond the pale. But he was obviously loved as well.

If a casual fan knows one thing about Aaron it's the home run record. But he is still probably underrated. Consider:

-He is still the all time leader in RBIs and total bases.
-He averaged 6.2 bWAR per season over 23 seasons. That's not making any allowances for pre and post prime.
-8 WAR is considered an MVP caliber season. Aaron averaged that over a 14 year stretch from 1956-69.
-Aaron was a .305 lifetime hitter and won two batting titles.
-Aaron stole 240 bases and was caught just 73 times, a 77% career success rate.
-Aaron was a plus fielder who won three gold gloves.

Boil it all down and you have a player who at his peak hit .320 with 40 home runs a year winning gold gloves and was a threat on the basepaths to boot. And that's not even considering anything off the field, which is plus-plus. You simply can't understate his impact.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Never knew this but just read Hank was a huge Browns fan and would fly from Atlanta to Cleveland on game day and sit in the dog pound.

Also remember him saying hitting was "in the wrists" all the time

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He had recently received his first COVID vaccine too. His 87th birthday was upcoming.

I'd say Hank Aaron was the MLB equivalent of Bill Russell, in that they were probably the most revered living players.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those of you with kids, Hank Aaron is the correct answer on sports role models. RIP sir.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Probably a stretch to call him a legend but certainly a very memorable figure from the glory days of heavyweight boxing. In a lot of ways it is amazing he made to 67. RIP Champ.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Spinks beat Ali, a hell of an accomplishment. Also had a wrestling career. Wrestlingdata.com shows matches against Inoki, Lawler, Terry Funk, Sabu.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t think Spinks-Ali is brought up enough when it comes to GOAT upset because Ali was past his prime. It was only Spinks’ 8th pro fight.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to watch the fight since I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago and I watched it this morning. Ali just settles back waiting for Spinks to tire and Spinks just never does. It was a split decision but the Ali vote was booed by the crowd. Spinks celebrating with his brother Michael was a feel good moment. And though Leon’s career peaked at that moment, there’s no tragic ending. (Michael was a hell of a fighter too.)

It gets lost that Spinks actually won the gold medal in Montreal.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I remember going to the NBA Summer League in Vegas years ago and one night after I was back from the games on the strip, I saw Elgin Baylor just chilling playing the slot machines in Harrah’s.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Dr. Bobby Brown passed away at 96. Brown was the fourth oldest living former MLB player and the last surviving member of the 1947 Yankees.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Howard Schnellenberger passed away at 87. He put Miami football on the map in '83 a few years before Jimmy Johnson took over. Also had success at Louisville and especially brand new Florida Atlantic.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Howard Schnellenberger passed away at 87. He put Miami football on the map in '83 a few years before Jimmy Johnson took over. Also had success at Louisville and especially brand new Florida Atlantic.
One of the true architects of that 80s Miami dominance. He was also very instrumental in the success of the Miami Dolphins serving as their OC from 1970-1972 and 1975-1978.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was fucking WEIRD to see the legend on the sideline of my FCS school when FAU was still finding their footing. RIP

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Basketball Hall of Famer Bobby “Slick” Leonard has passed away at 88

alkeiper

Reaction score
I saw Crandall's passing but didn't notice that connection with the Boston Braves. I think of Crandall as the perennial All Star catcher of the Milwaukee Braves.

It looks like there are five surviving members apiece of the Philadelphia A's and St. Louis Browns. Eleven for the NY Giants, thirteen for the Brooklyn Dodgers. The original Washington Senators have nineteen living alumni, including Eddie Robinson at 100 years old. Robinson is currently the oldest living representative for seven different MLB franchises.