Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Legends Passing Away

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hoo boy- the Atlanta Journal Constitution could have worded that headline better.

Edit- It originally said "Quarterback Georgia Defeated in 2008 Sugar Bowl Has Died"

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow react at both Colt dying as well as the original headline. Dude was a beast in school (except for that game). Sucks he couldn't overcome his demons.

That Sugar Bowl team was so special to that state, that school. So many of those people spent their entire life savings to make the trip here for the game. I was so happy for them and it was cool seeing them on the news bringing their culture to our state. Then I found out the dip shit LSU fan I worked with at the time went with her brother to taunt the "WAC team." Something about SEC loyalty. And I'm just like, "doesn't your fanbase have like a blood feud with Georgia?" "yeah well Georgia plays LSU so we have to root for them!" fine, go root for them, no need to fucking taunt people injecting money into the economy. Fucking idiots in this state.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuuuuck... Colt was legitimately one of my sports heroes as I entered my 20s. I'd literally stay up to watch Hawai'i games (he's largely what helped get me into the R&S) and I remember how June argued for him in the Heisman race by calling Tebow a "system QB" just like Colt was accused of being. I still think Colt could've stuck around as a backup if not for the injuries and eventual accident/drug abuse that did him in.

People really didn't appreciate Colt's accuracy in that system either. He had a wonky release but the touch/accuracy he could put on getting that ball over the 2nd level LBs was insane. It's worth highlighting that Colt put up 350 on Wisconsin, 403 on Alabama, and 434 on Purdue but all anybody remembers is the Georgia beatdown, unfortunately.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
J.R. Richard passed away. A great talent cut short by a stroke at the age of 30. He recovered, pitched a bit in the minors but never made it all the way back. Richard is one of only nine modern pitchers to record 300+ strikeouts in a season twice.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly one of the hallmark College Football coaches ever (for good or bad considering the ups and downs of the FSU program).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Joe Walton passed away at 85. Best known for being OC then HC of the New York Jets in the 1980s. Would later be HC at Robert Morris from 1994 to 2013.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Bill Freehan passed away. Never a serious Hall of Fame candidate, he only got 0.5% his one year on the ballot. But he was selected to eleven All Star teams and finished second and third in MVP voting in consecutive seasons. Played his entire MLB career in Detroit and was the starting catcher for their 1968 World championship.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
‘00s Patriots wide receiver has passed away at the age of 47. He was part of their first three Super Bowl championship teams. Most notably catching a TD in Super Bowl XXXVI.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn. He was one of those guys that didn't accumulate a lot of catches but was a great big play receiver when the Patriots needed it. Very underrated in his contributions during that Dynasty era. Always makes me wonder what the Patriots could've done in 2005 & 2006 if Patten/Givens/Branch had stuck around in the system.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He played before my time but I remember him being referenced in Sandler's "Grandma" song from Sandler's second album

RIP

alkeiper

Reaction score
Eddie Robinson passed. 100 years old. Played for seven franchises, notably the Cleveland Indians' last world series champion in 1948. Later a GM for the Texas Rangers.

There are now no living players from the Indians' 1948 team and because of the name change, none coming from the future either.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
All these Celtics legends trying to die off so that the Celtics can eventually re-enact the Major League "roster list" scene. "Well, cross him off then," indeed.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Dan Reeves died. RIP
Well known for his playing days but kind of glossed over for his HC abilities because he never won a Super Bowl with John Elway in Denver (did make it to 3 AFC Title Games in 4 Years), had to follow up Bill Parcells with the NY Giants, and was a bit of a 1-year wonder with the Falcons.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reeves was probably an underrated coach. Those Denver teams weren't that great and were propped up by Elway (yet Elway always got the blame), the Giants were on a steep decline as the glory years were ending and he had Dave "the human statue" Brown as his quarter back for 3 seasons yet he still had two winning seasons and a playoff appearance (went 11-21 his last two seasons on probably the least talented team in the league at the time). And took a decent but not great Falcons team to a Soup.

RIP

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Don Maynard passed away at age 86 :( Legendary Jets WR during the Joe Namath years and pretty underrated in that era of WRs IMO.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was also named one of the 10 Greatest NBA Coaches of All Time during the 50th Anniversary in 1997. After he quit the Celtics in 1983, he jumped to Houston where he coached the '86 Rockets that made a surprise run to the NBA Finals and got "Team of the '90s?" talk before it fell apart cause Ralph Sampson's knees and cocaine. He also coached for the Cavaliers, Nets, and Clippers.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gerald Williams passed away at 55 from cancer.

My biggest memory of him.