Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ST. ANGER 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incandenza said:
I didn't like Lulu, but it made perfect sense as a 21st-century Lou Reed album. This went over the heads of most reviews I read of it, the majority of which consisted little more than "lol wtf Metallica?!?"
Mentioned this in the Lou Reed thread, but "Junior Dad" is genuinely moving.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone listens to the non-wrestling episodes of Talk is Jericho but Bob Rock was on this week and claimed that Jimmy Page and Jack White had personally told him that they loved St. Anger. Jack White even said it was his favorite Metallica apparently. Baffling!

I guess if you think about it Jimmy Page has certainly released his fair share of crap and there's a good 25% chance that Jack White was just trolling, like when he collaborated with ICP.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
12 years on and this is still one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever listened to.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Next Big Comedy Star said:
Invisible kid
Never see what he did
Got stuck where he hid
Fallen through the grid

Invisible kid
Got a place of his own
Where he'll never be known
Inward he's grown

Invisible kid
Locked away in his brain
From the shame and the pain
World down the drain

Invisible kid
Suspicious of your touch
Don't want no crutch
But it's all too much

I hide inside
I hurt inside
I hide inside, bull I'll show you...

I'm OK, just go away
Into distance let me fade
I'm OK, just go away
I'm OK, but please don't stray too far

Open your heart
I'm beating right here
Open your mind
I'm beating right here
Open your heart
I'm beating right here
Open your mind
I'm beating right here

Ooh, what a good boy you are
Out of the way and you're kept to yourself
Ooh, can't you see that he's not here
He doesn't want the attention you give
Ooh, unplugging from it all
Invisible kid floats alone in his room
Ooh, what a quiet boy you are
He looks so calm floating 'round and around

Lmao I came to just post these lyrics too.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All within my hands
Squeeze it in, crush it down
All within my hands
Hold it dear, hold it suffocate

All within my hands
Love to death, smack you 'round and 'round and
All within my hands
Beware

Love is control
I'll die if I let go

Hate me now
Kill all within my hands
Hate me now
Crush all within my hands
Squeeze all within my hands
Choke all within my hands
Hate me now
Trap all within my hands
Hurry up and hate me now
Kill all within my hands

All within my hands
Take your fear, pump me up
All within my hands
Let you run, then I pull your leash

All within my hands
Under thumb, under to myself
All within my hands
Beware

Hate me now
Kill all within my hands
Hate me now
Crush all within my hands
Squeeze all within my hands
Choke all within my hands
Hate me now
Trap all within my hands
Hurry up and hate me now
Kill all within my hands again

I'll die if I let go
Control is love, love is control
I'll fall if I let go
Control is love, love is control

I will only let you breath
My air that you receive
Then we'll see if I let you love me
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
B1o3nKE.jpg

this be the real good shit

Staff member
Reaction score
FUCK IT ALL FUCKIN REGRETS I FLUSH IT OUT FLUSH IT OUT SAINT ANGER ROUND MY NEEEEECKCKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is still a powerful cut from this incredible work of art. All the OOOOOOOHHS are just completely indicative of where we were as a society in the great year of 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DUl2dP-Vw

The funny part is that I'm kind of into the first 10 seconds of every song until the stupid garbage can drums come in and Hetfield starts singing.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The one and only time I saw Metallica live was in 2004 on the "Madly in Anger with the World" tour a year after St. Anger came out. It was my senior year of high school and my friends bought me a ticket as an early birthday gift. They only performed the title track and "Frantic" and the rest was old shit. I do remember at the time being very upset they didn't play "Fade to Black".

YouTube actually has a shitty fan recording of the show up. It was a rocking time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmqZggVlBE

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Record store I hung out at didn't sell many, so friend and decided to be super funny and hide a bunch in the comedy section because we knew what REAL music was.

Those somehow sold more after this. When the store closed I was happy to see a copy of St. Anger buried behind a copy of Ray Stevens' The Streak.

Laz

Reaction score
I still remember walking a mile from school to buy the CD, listening to it on the three mile walk home from the FYE. Each minute was a new level of disappointment, leaving me wondering why I was even interested in music, let alone this band, at all.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
I still remember walking a mile from school to buy the CD, listening to it on the three mile walk home from the FYE. Each minute was a new level of disappointment, leaving me wondering why I was even interested in music, let alone this band, at all.

Lol, I remember my brother having the same thoughts. He bought it on a trip to the mall near our grandparents house and listened to it on the way home. I had already been disillusioned by the Load albums so I didn't expect much anyway but my brother was pretty much turned off of Metallica for a long time because of it.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I was too young to enjoy metallica in their prime obviously, but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care for anything in the post-Burton era. That guy's bass style played such a huge role in the sound for me. I think he was probably instrumental in the songwriting and structure because almost all the stuff after that sounds like a different band to me.

Laz

Reaction score
The post-Burton era can be defined by Lars wondering why strippers didn't dance to Metallica songs.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Revisiting this classic. And teen Laz losing faith in the entire art of music over St. Anger brought a tear to my eye...

"VIVALDI? CHARLIE PARKER? THE MORMON TABERNACLE CHOIR? NONE OF THIS MEANS ANYTHING ANYMORE AFTER St. Anger!!!"

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It probably was posted, but people on Youtube have done rerecordings of the songs with better drum mixing and better sound mixing in general. The problem (And it's been a problem with Metallica for most of their career tbh) is that every song is 3 to 5 minutes too long and they repeat themselves too much.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I actually just listened to this record again last night. I still maintain that there's a decent record in there somewhere and will vastly be improved with better production and instrumentation.

And I still maintain that Metallica's worst record is still better than Megadeth's worst (Risk) so @Laz can suck it. :D

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From an online review:

I can generally describe Metallica's discography with a person's life

Kill em all- happy, immature, careless preschooler year
Ride the Lightning- good student, starts to mature
Master of Puppets- student is really doing well at school, A+, he is an ideal student
And Justice for all- teenager has lost dad, realizes that life sucks, is depressed and starts to hate life, his grades drop to B+/A-
Black album- teenager finishes high school, is a recreational pothead, and barely gets into community college
Load- guy has long dropped out of college, is a drug dealer, and started doing cocaine and heroin
ReLoad- he is now a full blown junkie, he is homeless now, and barely has enough money to support his addiction
St.Anger-overdoses and almost dies, he is broke and is just at rock bottom
death magnetic- goes to rehab, and becomes clean, however gets a job and is on the right path
Lulu-All the years of drug abuse has made our victim psychotic and he goes on a killing spree, he is now incarcerated for life, with no chance of parole, Metallica is as good as dead

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Risk is so boring and dull. There is one song I do kind of like ("Insomnia" is an okay opener) which is one more than St. Anger, but Breadline is worse than anything on St. Anger. There's a more recent album that is almost as bad as Risk. I think it was Supercharger, which was just uninspired and boring overall but Mustaine's vocals are much worse on that album than Risk. I just started doing a Megadeth album relisten, so I will report my findings.

St. Anger is fun bad while being a slog. Risk is forgettable bad while being a slog. ST ANGER WINS AGAIN

Last edited: