Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Trek- New movie and various series discussion

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah one thing I forgot. I spent the whole movie trying to decide if Sulu was played by the guy who was on an episode of House as a pain freak who had to be dominated by a dominatrix. I finally decided it was and would look it up when I got home. I look it up, and sure I was right, but also he was fucking Harold from those White Castle movies. Yeah, I recognize that a dude was in one episode of a TV show, and not that he was Harold, not that I've seen the movies but I've seen the ads enough I should have recognized him. Weird be I.

D

Dr. Zaius

Smues said:
Just got back. Just remove Star Trek from the title and I really liked it (minus some stupid stuff at the beginning.) I'll just assume that this becomes an alternate reality timeline technobabble thing, because otherwise everything that happened on 28? seasons of television shows didn't happen, making the shows meaningless and fucking everything up.

Those cows have already been milked, so what's it matter?

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
dubq said:
Honestly, this movie is awesome. I'm not even a fan of Star Trek and this is one I will DEFINITELY buy for my DVD collection. Oh, and definitely not a prequel.

Can someone explain for those of us that don't catch any of the media hype machine and haven't seen the movie yet how it's not a prequel? Is it just because folks prefer to call it a "reboot" or whatever? I guess I don't see it not being a prequel until they actually make some sequels, if that makes sense. Until then it's just a weird reinterpretation prequel thingy it seems like.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Its a prequel in the sence that it is Kirk and cos' maiden voyage on the Enterprise. But at the same time its not as it is in a different reality to what the original series was, thus we have a new continuity, different dynamic to the federation and more power to it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
griffinmills said:
dubq said:
Honestly, this movie is awesome. I'm not even a fan of Star Trek and this is one I will DEFINITELY buy for my DVD collection. Oh, and definitely not a prequel.

Can someone explain for those of us that don't catch any of the media hype machine and haven't seen the movie yet how it's not a prequel? Is it just because folks prefer to call it a "reboot" or whatever? I guess I don't see it not being a prequel until they actually make some sequels, if that makes sense. Until then it's just a weird reinterpretation prequel thingy it seems like.

How is this hard to understand? A prequel would be a story that sets up all the movies that were made before it (but come after it in movie continuity). This sets up an entirely different timeline where none of that happens. Therefore, prequel = no.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues said:
Oh yeah one thing I forgot. I spent the whole movie trying to decide if Sulu was played by the guy who was on an episode of House as a pain freak who had to be dominated by a dominatrix. I finally decided it was and would look it up when I got home. I look it up, and sure I was right, but also he was fucking Harold from those White Castle movies. Yeah, I recognize that a dude was in one episode of a TV show, and not that he was Harold, not that I've seen the movies but I've seen the ads enough I should have recognized him. Weird be I.

Also the guy who woos over Marshall to the evil lawfirm in How I Met Your Mother.

D

Dr. Zaius

griffinmills said:
dubq said:

Its not a prequel because its a sequel. It shows one of the characters from the previous movies, with full knowledge of everything that happened in the other movies, traveling backwards in time and meeting his younger self after history gets changed. Calling this a prequel would be like calling "Back to the Future Part 3" a prequel to "Back to the Future" because it takes place 70-100 years before the first movie, even though its the third in the series. However, since very few references were made to the other Star Trek movies, you can enjoy it without having actually seen any of the other ones. Also, because of the events of this movie, all the other "Star Trek" movies can never happen.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Dr. Zaius said:
Also, because of the events of this movie, all the other "Star Trek" movies can never happen.

Neither can any of the TV shows outside of Enterprise. Thus my problem with it.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't care that they changed all that...because if this is a franchise moving forward there would really be no fear that anything major could happen to any of the characters... Now anything could happen.

That said...I didn't actually enjoy the movie.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Now, only seeing a few of the movies, and that was years ago, maybe someone who is a bigger fan can answer me this. How does this movie mess up the rest of the series? Both Spock and Kirk ended up in their rightful positions. We saw how each of the crew members was added to the ship.
Vulcan was destroyed, but Old Spock said that he found a new planet to cultivate and there were some survivors.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So everyones complaining about a star trek reboot, yet the batman reboot was the greatest thing ever?

Canadian Destroyer213 said:
Now, only seeing a few of the movies, and that was years ago, maybe someone who is a bigger fan can answer me this. How does this movie mess up the rest of the series? Both Spock and Kirk ended up in their rightful positions. We saw how each of the crew members was added to the ship.
Vulcan was destroyed, but Old Spock said that he found a new planet to cultivate and there were some survivors.

Because the Kirk we know from the TV series is fundamentally a different kirk in the movie. He is rebelous because of the loss of his father, and Vulcan as we know it is gone. There may be a colony of vulcans being rehomed, but billions died, and as a result so may have any potential leaders who helped shape the federation into what we see during the various incarnations of the series.

Take for example this. Due to them being in a different reality, and as spock claimed their destinys are now changed, the federation will be different.

Potential decisons that kirk now makes will affect the entire outcome over the star trek verse.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
An alternate reality doesn't discount every reality.

See: DBZ.

dubq said:
Speaking of Cloverfield.. anyone else think that giant red monster on the snow planet looked like a red Cloverfield?

Exact comment I made to my friend, though it more closely resembled a large, red version of the things the monster spawned.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sabre said:
So everyones complaining about a star trek reboot, yet the batman reboot was the greatest thing ever?

Canadian Destroyer213 said:

Because the Kirk we know from the TV series is fundamentally a different kirk in the movie. He is rebelous because of the loss of his father, and Vulcan as we know it is gone. There may be a colony of vulcans being rehomed, but billions died, and as a result so may have any potential leaders who helped shape the federation into what we see during the various incarnations of the series.

Take for example this. Due to them being in a different reality, and as spock claimed their destinys are now changed, the federation will be different.

Potential decisons that kirk now makes will affect the entire outcome over the star trek verse.
Also the fact that Spock's mom died YEARS before her time.

Also, there's a possible note I saw on a Star Trek wiki that states it is possible that salvage from Nero's ship, which came from the 24th century, is what is causing the 23rd century stuff in this timeline to look more advanced, as they made it as compatable as possible.

Same basic theory was used in a "Star Trek: Voyager" two parter where a 20th century guy found a 29th century ship, and used the tech there, dumbed it down as best as he could, and started the computer age in that timeline.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Are we still doing these? Anyway, when Spock Prime said to Spock "My usual farewell would be self-serving" or something along those lines

my friend and I had a real, real good laugh at the line. I think we were like, the only two really laughing it up in the whole almost full theatre, but it was the best line!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't see how this "destroys" the tv series or previous movies. Hello? Alternate timeline. Those thing ALL happened. Someone went back in time and changed it, but there is still a consciousness of what happened prior to that (in Old Spock). Venk hit the nail on the head when he said, "An alternate reality doesn't discount every reality."

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
*apologies for my shoddy spelling/punctuation/spelling. Hooray for Blackberry's. :p

Captain of Outer Space

reaching for the sky just to surrender
Reaction score
Nice shout out to Slusho or whatever it was from Cloverfield as well.

Sooo... the Romulans got out of their shoulderpads on everything 80s phase and are now into their tribal tattoo and heavy leather coat late 90s MMAer phase.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Captain of Outer Space said:
Nice shout out to Slusho or whatever it was from Cloverfield as well.

Sooo... the Romulans got out of their shoulderpads on everything 80s phase and are now into their tribal tattoo and heavy leather coat late 90s MMAer phase.
These Romulans in the movie weren't military. As for the face tattoos, apparently it represents some type of loss. Normally it's painted on, and it would fade over time...but they had it tattooed on because their pain from losing their planet would never go away.

Read that in the prequel comic.

special k

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I saw it twice. There's tons of things you can nitpick. Music was just OK. (The shuttles escaping/title reveal was great). The first half hour wasn't really all that great. Kirk being promoted... really? Kirk getting booted off the ship... really?

But here's two things they got right: Kirk, and Spock. Their interplay was incredibly fun. And it's all the movie needed. Great movie.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This movie was awesome, my favourite of 09 so far, and I know absolutely nothing about Star Trek, other then that nerds like it. And as a massive nerd, I never got into it, which says something

D

Dr. Zaius

Smues said:
Dr. Zaius said:
Also, because of the events of this movie, all the other "Star Trek" movies can never happen.

Neither can any of the TV shows outside of Enterprise. Thus my problem with it.
Well, your DVDs of those shows aren't going to cease to exist because of a time paradox, so you can still enjoy them.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"So everyones complaining about a star trek reboot, yet the batman reboot was the greatest thing ever?"

Yes?

Damn that Batman reboot was fucking great...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The thing that confused me is that the Star Trek reboot is getting nearly as much praise as The Batman one. I mean there are a few nitpicks about logistics but outside of some of the hardcore Trekkers and Armond White, it's gotten near universal praise. It's got a 95% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes for pete's sake!

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For no real reason, I made this.

A_New_Space_Alliance_by_CMWaters.png

Funny thing is, after finding out that they did a Star Trek/X-Men comic around the time First Contact came out, I could easily see a comic company doing this.