Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Trek- New movie and various series discussion

M

Matt Young

How is there not a thread for the new movie? I figured we could use this to discuss all things Trek.

I was a big fan of TNG, but never really watched the other shows. This movie looks epic, though. I would watch it based solely on the trailers, but there are various other reasons:

Uhura's hot as fuck.

SYLAR plays Spock.

JJ Abrams has yet to make anything I didn't like (haven't seen Alias, though).

I won't see it opening weekend since Friday night's sold out, Saturday I have a baby shower, and Sunday is mother's day. But soon. Yes, soon.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I don't approve of Thursday openings that don't occur at midnight or Christmas Day. Wednesday or Friday, Paramount!

Abrams was funny on Colbert, though.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pointless thing I wonder is, if at all, how they'll explain the miniskirt uniforms.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in theaters, but I am leery, as this is...minor spoiler...

The third Trek movie to use the Time Travel Loophole (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Star Trek: First Contact being the other two)

M

Matt Young

Also, any reason to get
Leonard Nimoy in the movie
(not sure if that's even a spoiler) is fine by me.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
so what, Chris? First Contact was great and 4 was decent.
I'm just leary that, having seen many of the Star Trek time travel eps, it may seem a little too derivitive to previous episodes and such.

But I probably will like it anyway.

Incidentally, has anyone here seen the other project using new actors to play classic Trek characters, "Star Trek: Phase II" (formerly known as "Star Trek: New Voyages"?] If so, how is it?

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never been into anything Star Trek, ever, but I have to say... this looks pretty awesome.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aero I'm in the same boat. I actually really dislike most thinks Trek.. except some of the TNG stuff as Patrick Stewart is awesome.. but otherwise, yeah it's always been a "meh" for me.. but I'm actually interested in seeing this now.. which kind of sucks because I was constantly talking shit about it to my girlfriend, thinking it WOULD look like crap.. but it doesn't! Now I have to either see it secretly or fess up and see it with her, heh.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My dad is a huge Trek fan so I was raised on the original, TNG and to a much lesser extent the ones that followed but I'd definitely call myself a fan of the first two. I wanted to bone Counselor Troy hardcore when I was younger.

I think the movie looks good, really sleek and the review today I read in the Toronto Star said that the portrayals of Bones and Spok specifically are excellent.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
As I've often mentioned I have a very hard time getting excited for prequels. Throw in that I was never a big fan of the original series, and that none of the ads make it look very 'Star Trek' to me, for lack of a better way to describe it, and I'm not all that excited for this. I'll be seeing it on Monday because my wife wants to see it, but otherwise I'd probably wait for the DVD.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought it was a prequel. I thought it was about how Kirk came to captain the Enterprise.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Uhh it takes place before the original series, so I'd have to call that a prequel. If not for Enterprise (a show I didn't watch, because it was a prequel series) this would be the earliest Star Trek in the timeline.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Since the final part is up, I may as well link these, and get your agreements/disagreements to it. James Rolfe (AKA The Angry Video Game Nerd) reviews what he calls "The Star Trek Trilogy" (Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home) and gives a brief run through of the rest of the series as well:

CineMassacre: Trek-A-Thon Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
CineMassacre: Trek-A-Thon II Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
CineMassacre: Trek-A-Thon III Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I might end up seeing this simply because I often end up with free IMAX tickets when I'm in Atlantic City, but I think Star Trek will only be there the first day I'm there before being replaced by Night at the Museum 2.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Okay I just got home from this movie and as a non-Trek fan, I freakin' loved it! I am familiar enough with the film to understand some of the references. This is how a prequel/reboot should be made and the 007's and Halloween's shall bow in its glory. I would love to discuss this film when everyone's seen it, but for now I will end with this: If you love film at all, you must see this movie. You are selling yourself short if you dismiss this as a space-opera or sci-fi nerd-fest.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just got back, and I agree with Dailyxplanet. My only gripes were the gratuitous use of lens flares (as pointed out by my friend) and the insistence that Bones get in EVERY SINGLE ONE of his iconic lines. Just a bit too much, IMO. But other than that, this was a great movie and I'll be happy to discuss it more when more of you have actually seen it.

Minor spoiler:

I'll put this in spoilers, even though I'm not sure it is one. What is Abrams obsessions with a bred ball of liquid that causes death? HE basically did the same damn thing in Alias, only it didn't cause a massive signularity.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
ChrisMWaters said:
Since the final part is up, I may as well link these, and get your agreements/disagreements to it. James Rolfe (AKA The Angry Video Game Nerd) reviews what he calls "The Star Trek Trilogy" (Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home) and gives a brief run through of the rest of the series as well:

Huge fan of AVGN, I've even got the DVD so thanks for linking these! Kind of scared you called him James Rolfe though... ;)

As a big fan of TNG, DS9 and (to a lesser extent) Voyager, who never really got into TOS or Enterprise I think this movie has great potential for fans like me. Plus I have to agree with the previous poster that JJ Abrams has been on a roll, for me as well.

D

Dr. Zaius

Matt Young said:
JJ Abrams has yet to make anything I didn't like (haven't seen Alias, though).

The first 2 seasons of "Alias" were genius, the third merely okay, and everything after that was simply horrible. If you're a "Heroes" fan, you might appreciate seeing Greg Grunberg and David Anders playing characters more fun than Matt Parkman and Adam Monroe.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
griffinmills said:
ChrisMWaters said:

Huge fan of AVGN, I've even got the DVD so thanks for linking these! Kind of scared you called him James Rolfe though... ;)
Well, I called him that because it was done outside of the Nerd persona.

Anyway, saw the movie today. I really enjoyed it. Personal opinion, if it's not THE best, then it is in the top 3 of the Star Trek movies...and above that, a damn good sci-fi movie IMO too.

Now some spoilerific notes.

Good that they let each of the crew members besides the Big 3 (Kirk, Spock, McCoy) do things in this movie. Now we know why Uhura chose communications...and what Chekov's skills.

Inside references that I noticed: the mention of Archer and his dog, I think I heard Chapel mentioned too.

The time travel was used in a good way in my opinion, and I think that this is the first time in Trek history that something that was done to change the timeline WASN'T reverted by the end. Vulcan stays dead, as does Spock's mom.

Which made me wonder all through work today...what would the stories of Trek be like in this new version of the universe. Things like...would Saavik and Tuvok even exist? Did the episode "The Cage" even happen, since it seems that the Enterprise was brand new, and Pike barely got a chance to command it. ...unless a lot of time passed between the climax of the movie and the "changing of the guard" scene.

Also, the Spock/Uhura romance thing was a bit of a twist that was just...there. Then again, Uhura was rarely developed during the series, and did have scenes with Spock...maybe Spock of Universe 1 (the original Trek universe) never thought of a relation with her, while the Spock of Universe 2 (2009 version) needed some comfort, and is more open to such a relation.

All in all, I found it a very enjoyable experience.

EDIT: Oh, and...

Nice reference I just remembered: Pike's Admiral uniform at the end is the same one that Kirk wore during the early parts of the first Star Trek movie.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Skip the first one and go right to the awesomeness that is the second.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Saw it and loved it. I haven't seen one episode of Star Trek on TV (any version of it) or one movie before this. Only thing I knew was the stuff that was ingrained in pop culture. Still found myself loving it.

DCH

The Every Night Delight
Reaction score
I knew absoluetely nothing about Star Trek and I lvoed it. It was a great movie and a great job all around. The story was great, teh visuals were great and no character outdid the others. I loved John Cho and Simon Pegg in this.

LPM

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll post my thoughts from elsewhere. Overall, I thought the movie was actually pretty bad.

I thought the music was terrible...they played this horrible orchestral theme way too many times, it overpowered the little post-climax scene. And using the Beastie Boys? That's pretty much the last band I would associate with Star Trek.

I guess I'm just a hater in general though...I was not a big fan of this movie. I heard a lot of positive reviews, so I guess I was expecting more than an action movie with giant plot holes. I thought the "callback" lines were really forced, and the plot was weak. Pike making Kirk first officer, despite the fact that the guy hasn't even graduated from the Academy and has zero experience...that was exactly like a scene from the Simpsons. All that was missing was Pike saying "I like the cut of your jib". Also, the Budweiser product placement was painful.

Once in a while the guy playing Kirk would ape Shatner's delivery...I appreciated that. I thought the Uhura/Spock romance was interesting too. But the rest was pretty lacking.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, you can watch The Original Series on youtube legit a la hulu, just look under shows. Now I can waste my hard drive for the movies instead.