Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Trek- New movie and various series discussion

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
i still hate how the klingons look and i don't care if they come up with some dumb explanation for it and how it changes. IT AINT COOL

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/alex-kurtzman-inks-25m-deal-extension-cbs-tv-studios-will-expand-star-trek-tv-franchise-1104232

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been heating up. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

MFOMNAWOFMWOFMAOFMWF;WMFMSFINSUIWEBNFUWFACKX

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
The funny thing is Patrick Stewart hasn't aged since the original airing. Anyway, put the original cast in it except for Wesley Crusher.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
if that means they finally advance the timeline I'm in. Especially with Patrick Stewart back. Only way I'd be more in was if it was Avery Brooks

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm at my first Star Trek convention in Vegas. I got pictures with most of the cast of TNG except Stewart since hes not here, and I feel like a little kid. It was mostly hi and bye with everyone, except Gates McFadden. My God she is a nice person. We chatted for like 5 minutes and she couldn't have been nicer. 11 year old me is having the time of his life.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex Kurtzman just made a surprise appearance to announce the next Star Trek series. And he just brought out Patrick Fucking Stewart to announce it OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Not many details. They dont have scripts yet it's still in the early stages. He may not be a captain and it'll be very different than TNG.

I am pumped.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Always looking for stuff to watch for the first time. I've seen TOS and movies and the JJ Abrams bullcrap. What should I watch next ST:TNG or DS9? One of my Trekker friends insists Voyager is the best but I have my doubts and they're just being a '90s baby. And if I watch at ST:TNG, should I start at the beginning? I've always heard that Season 1 sucks and I have limited time on my hand since I have to inexplicably avoid watching Miyazaki movies.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
the only person I have ever spoken to that thought voyager was the best was Marney. Having flashbacks to her messaging me on AIM and wanting to talk about Janeway/7of9 for hours now. The fact you have multiple friends that insist this deeply disturbs me. I could write multiple paragraphs about how bad that show is... it has some of the most reviled episodes and characters honestly.

TNG was a great show for its time but the first season is rough. Gets a lot better and yeah use a viewers guide. DS9 is my favourite Star Trek although it takes a little while to really get going. Once it does it has some fantastic storytelling.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
the only person I have ever spoken to that thought voyager was the best was Marney. Having flashbacks to her messaging me on AIM and wanting to talk about Janeway/7of9 for hours now. The fact you have multiple friends that insist this deeply disturbs me. I could write multiple paragraphs about how bad that show is... it has some of the most reviled episodes and characters honestly.
It was just one of my friends that said it was best but third friend and another Trekker said Voyager was 2nd best which I thought was bizarre because everyone else told me it was 2nd worst besides Enterprise. I'm guessing my SJW cuck friends like it cause of the Janeway/7 of 9 aspect. *shrugs*

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
thats very possible. I could never get into enterprise at all so I can't rank it. I saw the first few episodes of Discovery and liked it but never got back to it, ONE DAY. I'm saving Picard for a rainy day.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I've heard so much negative things about Picard that I'm avoiding it like the plague. Leave the memories alone.

TNG is the easy answer, but yeah, that first season. I can't just skip shows if I'm marathoning them unless there's no alternative (Doctor Who has so many missing shows I gotta) but man. Original series is my personal favorite because I love that era of sci-fi programming, the doing more with less. That planet where all the kids pretty much get the purple AIDS mark and have to die at a certain age is creepy as fuck.

I need to try DS9 again as an adult. As a kid, it was way too dry for way too long and very hard to get into. The eps I've seen since over the years from later on have been really good, but I'm also a huge Avery Brooks mark.

Never cared about Voyager beyond Coach Cutlip being the doctor and always liking Kate Mulgrew in stuff. Enterprise is so bad I felt embarrassed, and it has the absolute worst series finale they could have possibly thought of.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
@The Valeyard i binged Picard. Whoever was telling you negative things about it was a damn liar. It's a great show. and Patrick Stewart is a complete joy to watch in it. The only possible reason someone could have a problem with the show to me is if they can't handle seeing the Federation depicted in a manner that isn't entirely perfect and seeing beloved characters evolve and change.

There's a lot of really great callbacks to TNG (and other shows) and returning characters but the new additions are very strong. At the end of the day it is all about Patrick Stewart for me and I can't say enough good things about his performance.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Hm. Maybe I will give it a shot eventually. That makes more sense, though, because what I got personally from people is it ruining the character and was missing whatever point there was about Star Trek and Patrick Stewart tried but wasn't very into it. They made it sound like he got made into a secondary character in his own story.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah patrick stewart was amazing and he was for sure into it. He was all over the place gushing about how much he loved it and how much it meant to him. Star Trek has never been this unmutable special thing but people seem to forget all the other examples.