Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Wars Franchise Discussion

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: Star Wars

Can't believe it took Disney buying the franchise for that to happen. I mean, at least they are smart enough to realise it's guaranteed money.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Am I not led to believe that disney don't have any distribution rights to the previous movies??
I don't think that was part of the deal. 20th Century Fox had the distribution rights.. and apparently still do... I guess they worked out a deal or something. Either way, I think Lucas was the main roadblock to the original no-new-FX versions getting released wasn't he?

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
I remember hearing rumors of George Lucas having written a line into his contract with Fox stating that any prints of the original that are found must be hunted up and destroyed. Perhaps they weren't true, but I wouldn't be surprised knowing how much Lucas hates the original prints.

I just hope whoever Disney hires to do the remasters is competent. Especially considering Lucasfilm was under the same sort of fan complaints for the rush job they had Lowry digital do back in 2004 (remember Darth Vader's pink lightsaber among other things?), which led to efforts like the Despecialized editions, which didn't just remove effects, but re-color-timed the whole damn trilogy. It's not a matter of which studio is in charge, anyway. It's a matter of who that studio hires to do the work.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Wow. Must have been a pretty serious disagreement for the directors to get sacked when then move is three quarters done.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone actually want this movie to happen aside from the studio? Like everyone I've met or seen talking about it are trashing it and saying they don't want to see it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd be more interested if they rewrite it and make it Woody as himself hanging out with the guy playing Han Solo. Make it a space road buddy movie with Chewie and I'm there first thing.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Lord of The Curry said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-ron-howard-steps-direct-1015674?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Wow. Must have been a pretty serious disagreement for the directors to get sacked when then move is three quarters done.
The gist I'm getting is that Kasdan wants it to be somewhat serious and Lord/Miller's brand of humor don't fit the script he wrote.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This appears to be our old Star Wars catch all thread, which means I can pull this up.

I’m out of town this weekend and when trying to find something to watch in the hotel at the end of the night Friday night, one of the Turner stations I believe had The Phantom Menace on. I was a huge fan of the original trilogy when I first got the VHS tapes the year before the re-releases, where I loved all things Star Wars and could name all the characters and planets. No way I could now but at times I hear the need names of stuff and go “Oh yeah” as I can remember after the fact.

That being said, while I didn’t hate the prequels, they came out in the time where I stopped watching g the same movie over and over again and just started watching more movies. Where I’ve seen the originals dozens of times, I’ve seen Episode once maybe a couple times but certain not in the last fifteen years, if not longer. I don’t think I’ve seen Episode II since theatres and Episode III, I seem to remember the midnight showing then seeing it once when it came to DVD.

So Episode I is on and I’ve heard in recent times how even people that hate the movie still love the pod racing scene and lo and behold, it’s the pod scene that is on when I turn it on. Entertaining enough but man, interesting to half watch this movie with the perspective years later. Anakin is laughably bad, even for a child actor, but it does kinda fit the tone of the originals. Feel bad picking on a kid actor but less bad seeing the person that guy became. It’s crazy how wooden they have Liam Neeson be and to a lesser extent, Kiera Knightley given what she would become.

The one thing that stands out to me is there are several moments in this movie that felt very 90s to me. The original trilogy and even the new series, do not feel like they are part of any specific decade. Just general sci-fi films - though one could presume the decade with the look and effects.

Little things like the pod racing announcers just really evokes when the film was made, which to me, is against the essence of this series. The announcers, and in part, the pod racing scene, very much felt like it was NASCAR inspired. I never was a fan of car racing but I know that it was really big during that stretch. Additionally, when Anakin wins, the announcers do this little dance that would not have fit with the original series and totally feels out of place in anything but a 90s movie. The chunk I watched was an interesting enough look back for me that I’d like to make time and maybe go through the whole series again soon.

Also in doing this, I looked up Jar Jar and ended up reading the vast conspiracies that Jar Jar was intended to be a big villain in the franchise and some of the things that people found that lend credence to the argument is mind blowing. Feel like I need to go in with that in mind and see what happens.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Caught parts of Return of the Jedi on TNT tonight. Got to the last scene and it was the version where Hayden Christiansen appears. I'm not going to be one of those ones to go as crazy as acting like that five second edit ruined my childhood but it is a bit jarring and does feel out of place.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Epic by Faith No More said:
Wait...there's an edit that includes Hayden? Wtf?

At the end, where Luke looks into the trees and sees Yoda, Obi-Wan, and his father, instead of showing "old" Anakin as a Force ghost, the updated version shows Hayden as a Force ghost.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Epic by Faith No More said:
I had no idea this existed and hoped it stayed that way.

anakin-return-of-the-jedi.png

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's worse is that they were so lazy they simply placed pre-shot footage of Hayden's face on Sebastian Shaw's body.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hated that they did it because I hate it when they retcon old movies. But I also kind of understand why it happens in the Star Wars Universe, for lack of a better term. Force Ghosts can choose their appearance apparently (as Luke does in TLJ) and it kind of makes sense that Anakin would want to look like himself before he turned to the dark side -- and not Sebastian Shaw without burn makeup, which made no sense in it's own right - how would he even know what he would look like as a normal old man to even choose that appearance for himself?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1266449999648493568
Ya know...maybe the Stormtroopers weren't the best characters for Disney to use to hype their social distancing policies...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rumor and innuendo that Donald Glover is going to star in a Disney Plus series about Lando.

I mean...I'll watch it but I kind of hope it isn't true. Was anybody looking for an extended take on a original series' origins after Solo?

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On one hand "Solo" sucked. On the other hand Donald Glover was the one good thing in it, and the other Disney+ show they've done is the best SW thing since Empire and if the next season is at the same level I'd say better.

So I'm good with it.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If it means basically an 80s Magnum PI-kinda action series but with Donald Glover as Lando, I'm totally in.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't mind taking the best part of something bad like Solo and giving him a show. Glover nailed the mannerisms for Lando and this should be a hoot.