Stupid Bullshit - Any and all Discussion of Hinder, Nickelback, etc goes here

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Journey embraced a lot of things that weren't "hip" at the height of their popularity, and now, in the 21st century, those same things even the more forgiving sort tend to find dated and cheesy. It's a shame that the superficial aspects of their look and sound distract so many people from realizing that Journey crafted a number of really solid pop-rock songs. There's a few duds on



but the good stuff is really, really good.
 

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Incandenza said:
Byron cruisin' down University Avenue headin' to the Beef's, blasting

http://youtu.be/DmeUuoxyt_E

and thinkin' about those sliders he's gonna eat and that pitcher of Bud Light he's gonna drink.

this is my life, yes
 

Incandenza

Integral Poster
I don't like Nickelback at all, but that song is the only one I hate. I loathe every smug, self-satisfied second of it.
 

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
That Grantland article captured what I was trying to say in the thread's 2nd post, but much more eloquently.
 

Gary

Getting Down to Business.
Skywarp! said:
That Grantland article captured what I was trying to say in the thread's 2nd post, but much more eloquently.
That article actually brings up a good point: Little if any of the rock music coming out today sounds like Nickelback, Seether etc. Nowadays bands are borrowing from EDM and shitty folk music instead of the plodding riffs and ugly lyrics of Theory of a Deadman and their ilk. Sure, someone like Nickelback will remain popular and sell a bunch of albums, but their days of dominance seem to be over.


Incandenza said:
I don't like Nickelback at all, but that song is the only one I hate. I loathe every smug, self-satisfied second of it.
That song and "Something in Your Mouth" are the only Nickelback songs I hate. The rest I'll just shrug my shoulders at.
 

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Grantland said:
As for Buckcherry, well, Buckcherry is actually way worse than either Nickelback or Seether

"For the Movies" is easily better than any song in Seether or Nickelback's catalogue. As far as plagiarism, Seether is worst offender of the three.
 

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
King Kamala said:
Lenny Kravitz, who is another person on a lot of my friends "Most Hated Rock Singers/Bands lists" although I personally never thought he was that bad.

Kravitz is a talented guitarist and a lot of his songs are catchy but his lyrics suck

Another thing that bothers me about him is his reluctance to embrace more of his hard rock influence and instead goes for straight bubblegum pop. His latest album featured Jay-Z and Drake when it probably should have had someone like Joe Perry or Eddie Van Halen.
 

Incandenza

Integral Poster
taylor swift gay ass bathing suit wearing elitist said:
Incandenza said:
I don't like Nickelback at all, but that song is the only one I hate. I loathe every smug, self-satisfied second of it.

"Photograph" is obv the worst, man.

Never knowingly heard it and I will not click on any YouTube video of it posted in this thread.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
I think Journey's peak of lameness was the '90s. They just came off as incredibly cheesy in the era of grunge. Though as I was about to write that, I remembered their reunion album (that I was going to dub "ill fated") in '96 was multi-platinum and "When You Love A Woman" was a huge adult contemporary hit/pretty big actual hit. Although it sounded more like Journey ripping off Bryan Adams than Journey.


"Photograph" is my favorite Nickelback song. Either that or "How You Remind Me". It's a nice throwback to the monster ballads of the late '80s/early '90s (another despised subgenre of rock).

I don't think Buckcherry is that bad. I think their attempt to ape the cock rockers of the '80s is too calculated but "Lit Up" is a really fun song.
 

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Incandenza said:
taylor swift gay ass bathing suit wearing elitist said:
Incandenza said:
I don't like Nickelback at all, but that song is the only one I hate. I loathe every smug, self-satisfied second of it.

"Photograph" is obv the worst, man.

Never knowingly heard it and I will not click on any YouTube video of it posted in this thread.

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red?
And what the hell is on Joey's head?

And this is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it up
I never knew we'd ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneaking out

And this is where I went to school
Most of the time had better things to do
Criminal record says I broke in twice
I must have done it half a dozen times

I wonder if it's too late
Should I go back and try to graduate?
Life's better now than it was back then
If I was them I wouldn't let me in
 

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
I'll take smug macho bullshit over poorly done cloying sentimentality any day of the week. If you're gonna make dumb music, make dumb music.
 
Rockstar is a sick song, Inc is just too much of an old fogey to appreciate livin like a superstar in the here and now.

And yes I know Chad Kroeger is probably older but he is YOUNG AT HEART
 

Incandenza

Integral Poster
taylor swift gay ass bathing suit wearing elitist said:
Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red?
And what the hell is on Joey's head?

And this is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it up
I never knew we'd ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneaking out

And this is where I went to school
Most of the time had better things to do
Criminal record says I broke in twice
I must have done it half a dozen times

I wonder if it's too late
Should I go back and try to graduate?
Life's better now than it was back then
If I was them I wouldn't let me in
OK, what do I do with this?
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Yeah, Chad Kroeger is the type of person where I can't tell if he's in his mid thirties or early fifties!

I was surprised to find out someone I know who I thought was in their late fifties/early sixties was actually only 38. But I guess that's what happens when your 95% of your diet consists of beer and quesadillas.

(This person I'm referring to is not Incadenza)
 

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Scott Stapp stated in an interview that "Creed 5" is 80% finished, but Mark Tremonti has no further interest in working on it. This honestly depresses me.

Seether hooked me with "Gasoline". I dig them quite a bit.

When I saw that beauty queen
Watched her paint her face on
I wanna be the one unclean
That she wipes her ass on

Well, I never said it had thought provoking lyrics, I just really like the song as a whole.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Nymyzys said:
Seether hooked me with "Gasoline". I dig them quite a bit.

When I saw that beauty queen
Watched her paint her face on
I wanna be the one unclean
That she wipes her ass on

Out of all the bands mentioned in this thread, I think Seether might be the worst. Just terrible, joyless (and tuneless and soulless) drivel. My cousin who has the most questionable taste in music I've ever encountered (he's a big defender of Van Halen III and nu-metal era Vanilla Ice) went to a Seether/Trapt concert in '03/'04 and said Seether was the worst band he's ever seen. That was quite the damning statement to me.

Now Trapt is a band that I hadn't thought about in a long time before this thread.

Hey Nyzmys (or anybody), how many lead singers have Drowning Pool had by now? I don't know any band that moved on faster from their singer's death than them. I think they just replaced the guy who replaced the replacement for the dead singer. Let the bodies hit the floor, indeed.
 

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
It's Drowning Pool's fourth lead singer. I mean Iced Earth is a band that has had it's share of revolving singers (and other members too) and Black Sabbath had Ozzy, Dio, Ian Gillian, Glenn Hughes, Tony Martin and a few other singers during tours.
 

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Drowning Pool is on #4. The original died on their tour bus, #2 found God, not sure about #3, and now they're on #4.

#2 who I believe went by the name of Gong was actually my favorite, all things considered.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Zimmerman Lynched My Skittles said:
It's Drowning Pool's fourth lead singer. I mean Iced Earth is a band that has had it's share of revolving singers (and other members too) and Black Sabbath had Ozzy, Dio, Ian Gillian, Glenn Hughes, Tony Martin and a few other singers during tours.
I think Drowning Pool is different because their first (and arguably most famous) singer died and then they waited about three months to replace him.

Though in another (equally hated) genre, Quiet Riot is on their fourth lead singer since Kevin DuBrow died and the band has only been back together for three years!
 

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Drowning Pool singer #3 went back to his original band SOiL, who are a decent hard rock outfit and certainly better than Drowning Pool. I remember listening to "Scars" quite a bit when I started high school.

TRAPT? Holy shit, you can never get away from "Headstrong" when it first hit. Out of all the generic hard rock single from the early 2000's, that may be the worst one.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
I was surprised to find out that Trapt is still together. I guess butt rock really is the modern (or well, '00s) version of '80s hair metal in that even the most marginal bands of the genre will always find them some dive bar to throw them a couple thousand bucks to play a gig there. WWE really overplayed the shit out of "Headstrong" when it was the theme for one of their PPVs back in the day. Even more so unusual and it led to a lifelong dissdain of that song.
 

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
It's funny because the song was played out before WWE even got their hands on it. They used it for the theme to June's Bad Blood '03 but the single actually came out the summer before in '02 and like I said before, there was no escaping it. Seemingly all my classmates, television commercials, and radio absolutely destroyed that song in months time and I was never crazy about it to begin with.

Another nominee for generic hard rock single of the early 00's? Adema's "Giving In". The band had their 15 minutes of fame only because the lead singer was related to the singer from Korn (half-brothers? cousins?). Ironically enough, Adema performed at the very first concert I attended way back in '02.
 
Top