Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Stupid Bullshit - Any and all Discussion of Hinder, Nickelback, etc goes here

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hinder fired their frontman because he couldn't stay out of rehab.

I have a Facebook friend who follows a bunch of ass '90s and '00s bands and she was telling a story about seeing Hinder at a bar in 2013-14 after they fired their frontman and how there were a groupie outside sobbing inconsolably because Austin wasn't in the band anymore. Then Facebook friend went to a strip club with Hinder. Definitely one of my top five weirdest FB Friends which is saying something cause I'm me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MASSACHUSETTS MAN MAY HAVE BUT NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND ALTERNATIVE ROCK LISTENING MAN* STILL INEXPLICABLY THINKS GODSMACK IS MOST UNDERRATED BAND OF THE '90s/'00s!

*not this NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND MAN

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
If you're Chad Kroeger, at this point you either learn to laugh at yourself or you spend your nights curled up in a ball crying.

I went to a Nickelback concert in 2002 and there was a mosh pit, of all things. This was before they went full pop/country, but still, it was weird. That's the only mosh pit I've ever been in, but I don't think it really counts.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think '02/'03 were the last years when anything vaguely hard rock justified a moshpit. I went to an SR-71/The Exies concert at a dumpy club around the time and I remember an angry dad freaking out at moshers LOL.

Peak of inexplicable moshing was 4 or 5 years earlier though when MTV News showed people moshing to BEN FOLDS FIVE.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Ben Folds Five always makes me think of Semisonic who at one time, I was so proud of that they were from here. Sometimes I look back at the bands I was into and I don't know if history and critics regard them well or not. I should make a list and let you lot judge me accordingly.

I listened to a *lot* of Nickelback in college. Like a lot a lot. But it wasn't trendy to hate them until later. One time, I had to drive two hours out and back to a funeral and I was between cars, so my folks got me a rental, and it was a much nicer car than I was used to, and it was like May, and I spent the whole drive back with the windows down blasting The Long Road at full volume. Well, not the full two hours. But that was, you know, that was the highlight of the drive. Straight, flat, non-interstate highway. No traffic. Just me, some livestock, and Chad Kroeger putting it down like only he can. Good times. Good times.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd never say Nickelback was cool but I feel like they were just generic commercially popular successful, critically ignored rock band during the Silver Side Up and The Long Road era. It wasn't until "Photograph" that I remember the "LOL! THESE GUYS FUCKING SUCK! THEY'RE THE WORST BAND EVER!" talk started.

Now Creed though. People thought those guys were huge dorks right from the getgo but I think the "Are they Christian rock?" aspect had a lot to do with that.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
7th grade me thought “My Own Prison” was a pretty cool song. But I didn’t know anything about them and I was surprised when my brother told me they were a religious band. Creed came out with their first record around the same time as Days of the New and I was sure DOTN was going to be more successful. Unfortunately Scott got to the meth later than Travis.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can confirm that Days of the New was one of the countless late '90s rock bands that everyone thought could be next big deal. Turns out peak of their relevancy was Travis Meeks' appearance on Intervention.

According to his Wikipedia entry, one of his last arrests was right in Portland, Maine. Good for us, I guess?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
12 year old me thought My Own Prison was a great album but THEY SOLD OUT WITH HUMAN CLAY. I still had their followup album but I think I ended up giving it away shortly after.

I remember liking the song that got a video off of Nickelback's album right before they blew up (Looking at google, "Leader Of Men" seems familiar enough that it's probably that song), but I never had one of their albums which is weird considering the album collection I had from 1999-2002.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
7th grade me thought “My Own Prison” was a pretty cool song. But I didn’t know anything about them and I was surprised when my brother told me they were a religious band. Creed came out with their first record around the same time as Days of the New and I was sure DOTN was going to be more successful. Unfortunately Scott got to the meth later than Travis.
I probably should have said Creed were dorks from the massive success of Human Clay on cause I feel like people generally liked "My Own Prison" and "One" but I don't they were distinguishable too much from the Filter (or Days of the New!) of the world until "Higher" crossed over to Top 40 radio and Scott Stapp started jamming with Robby Krieger what not.

Also I'm surprised that @BUTT didn't mention the fact that Creed was an opening act for the Van Halen III US tour. I read an interview in Spin Magazine with Scott Stapp where he said EVH made Creed play the entire tour with the house lights which inexplicably stands out as dubious even though he's made a lot weirder statements.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like us standing up to @Laz over him trashing our shitty musical tastes would like the scene in Freaks & Geeks where the nerds all decided to fight back against the bully.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
I can confirm that Days of the New was one of the countless late '90s rock bands that everyone thought could be next big deal. Turns out peak of their relevancy was Travis Meeks' appearance on Intervention.

According to his Wikipedia entry, one of his last arrests was right in Portland, Maine. Good for us, I guess?
I used to be a big Days of the New fan. Not so much nowadays, but I still think they are one of the least offensive of the post grunge bands.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
DOTN were awesome. That first record especially was really good. "Now" is a great song.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Ah yes, we all know that part of Hitler's speech where he said "ICH WILL TWERKEN"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
37777102-D58B-40F6-B9A9-150AF70E0104.jpeg
this is rare version of this meme that I feel Steven Crowder or at least a lot of his fan base would actually approve of.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Musician bud shared this post and made me think of this thread:

LTESkKl.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Older sister's wedding is this weekend. Her step-daughter (to be) messaged me last week to put together the playlist for "the groom's dressing room."

'sic

Songs for guys:
Nothing but a good time-Poison
Every rise has its thorn-Poison
Home sweet home-Motley Crue
Arms wide open-Creed
In case you din’t know Brest young
Metallica - One
Alice In Chains- Man in the Box
It’s a grate day to be alive Travis tritt
Colt 45 Afro man
Just fishin trace Akins
Country boy Aaron Louis
Radiohead - Creep
Oasis- wonder wall
Sound garden - black hole sun

What in the lack of consistency shit did I get myself into. They got some good shit in there but I kept thinking of stupid bullshit and all discussion of Hinder, I went ahead and added my contributions with a tribute to this forum by opening my list with

Hinder: Lips of an Angel

Then I added:

99 Ways to Die: Megadeth
I Hate Myself and Want to Die: Nirvana

and before anyone got too suspicious of my thought process I added Devil Inside: INXS.

I seriously doubt we'll get that far unless its on shuffle. When I messaged my sister "Tell her I'm still working on the music project" my sister had no idea what I was talking about so apparently it's a hush hush thing?