Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Super market music

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
You wanna get a ton of white people turnt af you play "500 Miles (I'm I'm Gonna Be)." Then they interrupt to announce flu shots and the momentum dies for a few seconds, but then it gets real again.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" in a grocery store in East Bumfuck a month or two back and it was confusing af.

Usually, it's just whatever was on adult contemporary radio circa 1996.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Our super Wal-mart has two different music broadcasts on either side of the store. You can hear 80s rock while looking at toothpaste but then hear 50s country while picking out produce. Somewhere around the fitting room you get the sweet spot where you can hear both broadcasts, and if you're like me, the conflicting audio is maddening.

Furthermore, I've noticed the playlists follow no rhyme or reason. I've heard Usher, Slim Whitman, Third Eye Blind, Bon Jovi, random country, while in grocery.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Don't think I ever stepped into a store that played anything other than Top 40, 80s, and oldies.

I went into an Old Navy once and they were playing "Heartbeats" by the Knife. Very weird.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like the only time I hear 99% of pre 1970 Oldies outside of SiriusXM is at diners or the Maine Mall during the hours that the stores are closed but the doors are open to power walkers. It's a bummer! I love '50s and '60s music but the oldies stations around here are now even phasing out a lot of '70s music. Oh well. Good thing I love diners and power walking at the Maine Mall at 8 AM. I am a 65 year old man internally.

https://youtu.be/tZnD6HqCKZI
In a similar vein, I think I've only heard Phil Collins' mid '90s attempt at doing Paul Simon-esque faux world music at grocery stores.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Counting the muzak CVS version, I've heard "Smooth" a stupid amount of times in the last year or so. It's like they just rediscovered it.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I worked at a CVS for years and heard songs I'd never heard before that I grew to really love and ALWAYS associate with working there. There was one song I was obsessed with but didn't know it. But the songs were in the same order (and there was only like 40 of them) so I'd gear up for this song every time I knew it was coming. I didn't know the words so I'd hum the tune and make up my own lyrics. One day I caught it at the right time and managed to jot down some words that I could make out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8ahar1bUI

Still one of my faves, it's from one of her later albums so it wasn't a big hit. The breakdown brings me right back to developing disposable 35mm pix of teenager's parties circa 2004.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
Counting the muzak CVS version, I've heard "Smooth" a stupid amount of times in the last year or so. It's like they just rediscovered it.
It's the 20th Anniversary, baby. Time for that Rob Thomas nostalgia!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fuck, that's true. Oh god.

Given how much time I spend at the pharmacy (and grocery store by proxy), I've come to realize how much I've come to understand nostalgia ambiance. That and there seems to be a 45 minute cut of "Roam" they bust out once a week.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't even think about John Waite without remembering the time I was at a SHITTY bar at like 4pm on a Tuesday and a guy was molesting me and a friend and when we told him to fuck off and stop touching us he shouted "I'M NOT A PERVERT I JUST WANNA HEAR THE BABYS", a phrase I still occasionally say.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fuck, that's horrible. John Waite must bring the absolute worst out of people.

Pharmacy had some Dishwalla going when I was in line, and some "Breakfast At Tiffany's" when I was leaving. I appreciated it and wish I had time to actually go shopping.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
I AIN'T MISSING YOU AT ALL

I COULD LIE TO MYSELF!

There was like a 3 or 4 year period in the late '00s/early '10s where John Waite played at least once a year at a rando divey, rednecky night club in rural Maine. Just totally baffling. He must've had relatives in the area and/or just wasted all that sweet sweet Bad English money and/or loved bath salts.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Some kids/people have figured out how to hijack my local stores sound systems, speakers, or whatever through bluetooth and it makes me wish I was young enough to care about causing such hijinks again. I will say there's nothing that livens up a dead day of shopping and running errands as watching the panic of people who aren't even employed by the store as easy listening or pop country gets switched out for old rap like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J626Qcd7Glo

or hilarious rock like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUCrEH60C2w

hope I hear some St. Anger tracks soon.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Melissa Etheridge wanting me to come to her window and 311 covering the Cure made food seem not all worthwhile.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
She's just 16 years old.... Leave her alone... They saaaaaaay

You tend to hear creepy Benny Mardones a lot in grocery stores.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Got the Strokes AND the Vines. Nothing makes waiting in line better than I WANNA GET FREE blasting all over a store.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cool said:
Some kids/people have figured out how to hijack my local stores sound systems, speakers, or whatever through bluetooth and it makes me wish I was young enough to care about causing such hijinks again. I will say there's nothing that livens up a dead day of shopping and running errands as watching the panic of people who aren't even employed by the store as easy listening or pop country gets switched out for old rap like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J626Qcd7Glo

or hilarious rock like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUCrEH60C2w

hope I hear some St. Anger tracks soon.

I worked in a candy store, briefly, after high school (a nightmare) and the music that played over the soundsystem was just coming off a CD player. There was a mix CD that I think came from a member of upper management and Phil Collins' greatest hits. I was super knee deep in riot grrrl music at the time so anyone buying their overpriced candy was getting blasted with Bratmobile, Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney or Free Kitten during my shifts.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"It's In The Way That You Use It" is a fucking jam when you're buying berries.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Best song Robbie Robertson ever wrote tbh.

I'm of firm belief that music is entirely subjective. Except for the fact that Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is absolutely the most boring song of all time.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
I heard “Jump” by Kriss Kross in Kroger’s two days ago. I have also heard “Voodoo” by “Godsmack” and “So Far Away” by Staind in nighttime shopping visits, which can only mean they play the Korn song “A.D.I.D.A.S.” after midnight.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Wilson Philips and holidays give me anxiety.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I went to the local pharmacy tonight and they were playing the theme from Lolita ("Lolita Ya Ya"). Don't know what type of message they were trying to send with that one.

Valeyard

Reaction score
KISS block tonight. You hear "Calling Dr. Love" at just the right place at just the right time, it's the coolest.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My friend got kicked out of a dive bar for playing "Calling Dr. Love" on the jukebox 5 times in a row.