Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Super market music

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Topped by excessive Power Station. Store's turn to Robert Palmer is totally fine.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/RockNRollPics/status/1271795707981164545
Happy 20th Anniversary to an album that goes into the Supermarket Music Hall of Fame.

Also I feel like this is the last boomer era dad rock album. Either this or Bruce Springsteen's The Rising.

Valeyard

Reaction score
My mom loved that album. Loved Clapton in general. All I got was a really lame, but very fruitful, intro to BB King.

Last boomer album has to be one of the Rod Stewart albums of him singing standards, which rears its head in the form of Christmas super market music.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Songs From The Great American Songbook album really kind of falls into category of mom music to me, which is really kind of a subcategory of boomer music. Very few dads enjoy Rod Stewart post 1974 or so.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Most people I know who enjoy latter Rod Stewart are men, actually. They skip from around '74 up to the Great American Songbook, however. The moms clung to their Phil Collins, Amy Grant, and Enya.

Every parent, teacher, and general 40ish adult at the time seemed to have a copy of Santana's Supernatural.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's opposite in my experience. "I miss Rod Stewart when he used to rock" was a semi-frequent topic of discussion with my dad and his friends.

Come to think of it, Idk anyone who enjoyed the GAS series even though they're last boomer albums to go platinum. I think they're made exclusively as background music for boomers cocktail parties. I was low key amazed there were only five of them (plus a classic rock and classic R&B sequel). Still way too many but I would have guessed 10+. It certainly felt like that many.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
Every parent, teacher, and general 40ish adult at the time seemed to have a copy of Santana's Supernatural.
Not just that. More than half of my friends owned that album. It was everywhere.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It hit the older crowd at the same time Steely Dan's Two Against Nature came out. I chose to die on the Steely Dan hill while, to this day, muzak versions of "Smooth" and "Maria Maria" dominate the market airwaves every summer.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mostly remember the "Steely Dan? They're still around!?" talk when Two Against Nature beat The Marshall Mathers LP at the 2001 Grammys.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think that's how I learned who they even were. Got the album, it was just very well produced blandness. "Cousin Dupree" needs more market love. Catchy, but the incest aspect might get in the way of people buying cheese.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Onion knows nothing about me. I wish I got "Kodachrome."

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Groovin' to "Here Comes Your Man" in Giant today. Kind of a missed opportunity they didn't play "Gigantic".

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Grocery shopping the other day and some of the stockers were grooving to "Walking on Sunshine". These kids didn't look a day over 20.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"Steady As She Goes" is the hippest this market has been. Good work.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The White Stripes' (and I guess Raconteurs in that case) impending induction to classic rock radio has me anxious.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I was in the frozen food aisle at Meijer at 10 pm last week and "Common Man" the WWF Dusty Rhodes theme started blaring.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"Semi-Charmed Life" when buying vitamins wasn't cool the other day, either.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
The grocery store near my work plays a lot of New Order. I heard the Shep Pettibone remix of "True Faith" last week, and "Bizarre Love Triangle" recently, but I've also heard the lesser-known 2005 tracks "Krafty" and "Waiting for the Siren's Call." They use the In-Store Audio Network so it's not like there's some hipster putting together the store playlist but it's an outlier among the likes of OneRepublic and Eddie Money.

Valeyard

Reaction score
15 year-old-me bought Two Against Nature. More markets should bust out "Cousin Dupree."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Radio programmers still pissed that Matt Dillon squandered his post Crash comeback by doing a bad comedy with Owen Wilson, I guess.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I didn't know until now there was lighthearted beef with Fagen and Owen Wilson about that, although I would bet a million dollars Fagen was legitimately pissed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
Covid has kept me away from "Do They Know It's Christmas?" according to my sister. Thank god. I haven't physically been in a store in two or so months, so it's nice to know I avoided the bane of my holiday existence.