Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Super market music

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even hipsters kind of like Thin Lizzy now. They're good!

I don't think anyone outside of Canada really thinks of BTO. It's better to be a widely disliked goof like Gene Simmons than it is to be irrelevant like Randy Bachman.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The saddest part is that I know a lot of Thin Lizzy and should know better.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've heard XTC's "Senses Working Overtime" twice at Sheetz (Mid-Atlantic gas station chain) in the past month. It's not completely obscure but there are probably 200+ other 40 year-old songs I'd expect to hear pumping my gas before that one.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think I've heard The Corrs "Breathless" outside of a pharmacy since 2003.

Tbh, it's been kind of a tactless song choice for drug store radio station for the past two years. WTH CVS?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Update: I heard The Corrs "Breathless" on my last grocery store trip too.

I posted about it on Facebook and my friend says they play it at the artisanal soap store she works at a lot too. Makes sense. I'd want to listen to the '00s soft rock if I was shopping for fancy soaps.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Got Aerosmith's whole Alicia Silverstone Trilogy at the market. They are barely different songs. "Cryin'" still is the best one.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"She Bop" is the best job interview song I've ever had. Wildly appropriate.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even post cancellations (Round 3), Thriller is an unassailable album afaic. "The Girl Is Mine" is the weakest track on the album by a country mile though. It was only on the album for the racist reason that they needed something as unthreatening as possible to break the album on white radio. I'd put it in the "fun bad" category.

I really only recently developed an appreciation for "The Lady in My Life", when I discovered the smooth jazz/quiet storm radio station in Portland. For the longest time, that was foolishly my least favorite track on the album. That's probably the Thriller track that is best suited for grocery shopping but fact it's one of the two songs on the album that wasn't a hit doesn't make that scenario v. likely.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm into Lorde getting play at huge supermarkets. I hadn't heard "Royals" in a long-ass time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Portland City Hall auditorium announces Gladys Knight is coming this winter.

vince_mcmahon_2.gif

Local theatre announces Air Supply is coming this winter.
e52.gif

Valeyard

Reaction score
Darlene Love and the wall of sound are the only Christmas music I can take. Thanks, Wallgreens.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just remembered Chicago is playing at the local minor league hockey arena on Mother's Day. MILDLY intrigued if it shows up on Groupon cause as of rn, cheapest ticket is $71. I knew they replaced Jason Scheff (the guy who replaced Peter Cetera in the mid '80s) a few years back but now they've replaced the guy who replaced Jason Scheff and like any good nostalgia act, the new vocalist is former front man for a Chicago tribute band. At least, he seems in the same relative age range as the rest of Chicago and isn't one of those weird cases where they get a thirty or fortysomething tribute band singer and band looks like a friendly dude hanging out and having fun with his uncles.

They're co-headlining with Brian Wilson with Al Jardine & Blondie Chaplin at Great Woods this summer too but I don't have much interest in seeing current iteration of Brian Wilson again. Once was probably enough. Weird Blondie Chaplin gets billing though. [i}Carl and the Passions- 'So Tough'[/i]/Holland isn't anyone's favorite BBs era but I guess if you have to get time off from the Rolling Stones, that's justification for a spot on the posters. Anyway, if I'm not going to pay $71 to see Chicago up the road from my house, I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars and spend all day going to and from Great Woods to see them and Brian Wilson poking at a keyboard!

At some point, a lot of these nostalgia acts should just reunite or retire.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Christmas isn't exactly fair for discussing market or store music, but "Wonderful Christmastime" is among the ten worst songs ever recorded.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to say it seems really fitting that John Lennon's Christmas song is "Merry Christmas (War is Over)" while Paul's is "Wonderful Christmastime" and George doesn't even have a Christmas song, he has a New Year's song (which has to be one of the only one besides "Auld Lang Syne" and "Same Old Lang Syne"). And Ringo has a whole Christmas album that came out in the '90s or '00s that me and Vale don't even care about.

I_Wanna_Be_Santa_Claus_Ringo_Starr_albumcover.jpg

Valeyard

Reaction score
Maybe it speaks to aging but Billy Joel is very comforting at this point in my life.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some good ones yesterday afternoon at the oyster bar. I walked in and Art Garfunkel's "All I Know" was playing. It alternated between disco and '70s soft rock that barely or never gets played on the oldies stations anymore so they had to have had the Sirius/XM 70s on 7 or some Time-Life '70s compilation. Fun to eat a delicious scallop roll while tapping my foot to The Sylvers' "Boogie Fever".

If I'd have known the playlist, I would've worn wider lapels.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heard Big Star at Sheetz the other day. I'm certain I've also heard Stone Roses and Guided by Voices at some point there, too, so whoever runs their muzak has good taste.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Work-related: I have heard the Post Malone cover of "Only Wanna Be With You" at least a thousand times. Even the customers hate it.

Otherwise the market has been hitting some swell Michael Jackson strides. "Dirty Diana" is good stuff.