muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
chunlis-lightning-kick-cosplay-45631.gif

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I found another old Nintendo Power at the thrift store for a quarter. Great just before N64 launch issue covering Mario 64, then for the SNES: DK3, Kirby Superstar, SimCity (Players choice re-release review)....plus a TOP 5 Virtual Boy list (I joked to others it was a full list of games released) and in the fan letters we got an angry kid who says the N64 is a stupid idea and Nintendo needs to focus on the Virtual Boy and not worry about improving graphics.

BTW the N64 preview promises that characters won't look "blocky"...oops...

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
The demos discs that came with the Playstation were awesome. My friend had the one in that video. I was so pissed when I lost the one I had, I wasted a lot of time on it. There was tons of hidden shit too (haven't watched much of this video yet given it's 20 minutes so I don't know if he gets to that.)

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not know that. I can only hope Majora's Mask actually needed the pack for processing reasons and not coding reasons.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
I never had an issue with Turok 2. Turok 3 can go to Hell though.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
wikipedia said:
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask runs on an upgraded version of the engine used in Ocarina of Time and requires the use of the 4 MB Expansion Pak.[4] IGN theorizes this requirement is due to Majora's Mask's possible origin as a Nintendo 64DD game, which would necessitate an extra 4 MB of RAM.[4] The use of the Expansion Pak allows for greater draw distances, more accurate dynamic lighting, more detailed texture mapping and animation, complex framebuffer effects such as motion blur, and more characters displayed on-screen.[4] This expanded draw distance allows the player to see much farther and eliminates the need for the fog effect and "cardboard panorama" seen in Ocarina of Time, which were used to obscure distant areas.[4] IGN considered the texture design to be one of the best created for the Nintendo 64, saying that although some textures have a low resolution, they are "colorful and diverse", which gives each area "its own unique look".[4] Lastly, building interiors are rendered in real-time, unlike the fixed 3D display featured in Ocarina of Time.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Expansion_Pak

An incomplete list of what the pak did for games it upgraded.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
dailey x planet said:
Who bought an expansion pack because it was required to hack gameshark codes? This guy.
Oh yeah I knew I had to borrow my sister's expansion pack for more than just when I rented Majora's Mask, but I couldn't remember what for. That was it! Did you have the VHS tape that walked you through how to do that?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I do! While I haven't used it in over a decade I still have my N64 Gameshark and in fact it sits about 5 feet away from my computer desk. So I was looking at it earlier and couldn't remember what the fuck that port was for. Technology!

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty big fan of a capella Chris Hero here.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NECA has an NES 8-bit colour palette inspired version of Jason Voorhees available at ComiCon this year for $25. Pretty cool!

ku-xlarge.jpg

For reference:

tumblr_mcj06fDIqg1rb55q6o1_500.jpg

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Tiger Style said:
NECA has an NES 8-bit colour palette inspired version of Jason Voorhees available at ComiCon this year for $25. Pretty cool!

ku-xlarge.jpg

For reference:

tumblr_mcj06fDIqg1rb55q6o1_500.jpg

FUCK YES, THEY DO! My friend's husband is heading to SDCC. Going to try to get his hands on one for me. Crossing my fingers. Even the packaging is a reproduction of the NES box.

SDCC-2013-Jason-Voorhees-001.jpg

94582d1370542556-necas-friday-13th-1989-video-game-jason-sdcc-exclusive-packaging-39789-snes-jason-sdcc13-pkg2.jpg

SDCC-2013-Jason-Voorhees-004.jpg