Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

T2: Judgment Day is 30

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It's kind of cool that '80s action movies and '80s hard rock both had one of their last truly great moments at the exact same time. And incidentally a bunch of '80s hard rock bands were on the soundtrack to Ahnuld's failed followup to T2 (Last Action Hero)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I should've known this was the last place to call out LAH's mixed reputation. It was definitely my favorite Schwarzenegger movie before I was able to watch R rated movies. Which granted isn't saying much unless you love his comedies.

(oh shit now @Hawk 34 is gonna be mad at me again)

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Arnie has always been a comic actor what are you talking about? Sometimes it involves children and other times it invokes space aliens in a jungle. Always knee slapping.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, even in non comedy films, he always played his roles comedically until his post governorship movies that I think only @Brocklock watch.

(oh shit now HE'S mad at me)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to be cool and say I stopped after Sabotage, but I was hanging in there through Aftershock. I think Killing Gunther is the first one I said no too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Yeah, even in non comedy films, he always played his roles comedically until his post governorship movies that I think only @Brocklock watch.

(oh shit now HE'S mad at me)
I have every Arnold movie from Hercules to the most recent Jackie Chan one on DVD (except Around the World in 80 days). Killing Gunther is horrible.

I liked Genesis (I'm pretty sure I am botching the wacky spelling they used.) The most recent Terminator was instantly forgettable to me. T3 at least had the graveyard scene.

Anyway, T2 was absolutely mind blowing when it came out. I am almost positive I would have first seen it at my uncle's on HBO or something. I haven't watched it in a while, so I'm not sure how well the CGI holds up, but for it's time it earned 5/5 on just about every scale one could rank with,

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saw this opening weekend. The theater I saw it in would later be turned into an Office Depot. It's currently an empty storefront.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still think the effects look really good for today. Newer viewers would snicker, but compared to a lot of other movies in the 90's, it's simple enough that it just works. Some of Edward Furlong's dialogue and performance dates it more than the special effects.

T2 is still my favorite movie. It's not flawless (Furlong does grate on me at points), but it's so god damn watchable and the other actors in it are almost all delivering career bests from Linda Hamilton (Should've got an Oscar Nom) to Joe Morton (the heavy breathing scene alone). Arnold is fantastic and Robert Patrick still feels underrated in it since not enough people list him as one of cinema's greatest villains. He's so incredible in it. I will usually watch T2 at least once a year around Fourth Of July and I love it more every time. There are still around 5 action set pieces that are all timers. Maybe more.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This Ringer article is a good reminder I need to rewatch this since I haven't seen it since the mid '00s (and CGI still looked good then although I bet they're slightly goofy now).

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the simplicity helps it compared to other cgi from the era. It's not a goofy fat dragon like Mortal Kombat Annihilation or whatever that Cat Demon Goat thing from Spawn is supposed to be. It's just a liquid metal man.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I like the effects used in T2 better than modern action/superhero movies. All the new Marvel stuff is too CGI for my tastes. I feel like T2 was the sweetspot of live action and CGI.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Fun fact: most of the effects in T2 are practical. CG is only used in a handful of scenes.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Fun fact: most of the effects in T2 are practical. CG is only used in a handful of scenes.
Same with "Jurassic Park". It's something I wish more movies would do (Guillermo Del Toro and Christopher Nolan have done this/do this), as it makes the CG look all the more lifelike IMO.

I think the simplicity helps it compared to other cgi from the era. It's not a goofy fat dragon like Mortal Kombat Annihilation or whatever that Cat Demon Goat thing from Spawn is supposed to be. It's just a liquid metal man.
A lot of 90's CG looks terrible. "Blade" is awesome, but the CG blood and effects in it are really bad.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah and Blade does also have some great practical effects like the big blob vampire. The blood at the end is hilariously bad though.

I'm at the point where I find bad 90's CGI more charming than terrible. It's so cheesy looking.

Also, did my usual Fourth Of July watch of T2. Still a 9.5/10 movie. Fast talking Furlong and "Bad To The Bone" dock it just a tad from perfection for me. The more I watch, the more I think Sarah's scene hunting the Dyson's at their house and then her breakdown afterwards is the best scene of the movie. Also, Robert Patrick is one of my 3 or 4 favorite villains in film history. The running is so cool.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah and Blade does also have some great practical effects like the big blob vampire. The blood at the end is hilariously bad though.

I'm at the point where I find bad 90's CGI more charming than terrible. It's so cheesy looking.

Also, did my usual Fourth Of July watch of T2. Still a 9.5/10 movie. Fast talking Furlong and "Bad To The Bone" dock it just a tad from perfection for me. The more I watch, the more I think Sarah's scene hunting the Dyson's at their house and then her breakdown afterwards is the best scene of the movie. Also, Robert Patrick is one of my 3 or 4 favorite villains in film history. The running is so cool.
I saw somewhere that Robert Patrick actually caught up to Furlong on his motorcycle when running in earlier takes so he had to be told to slow down(!)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that was all Patrick. It is amusing watching Patrick and Hamilton doing a lot of their own stunts while spotting the 25 different Arnie stuntmen throughout the movie.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems like Robert Patrick should've had a moderately better career. Like he's been a very solid character actor but I feel like he should've been the more commercial Christopher Walken, ya know?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well at least we will always have his performance and hairstyle in Double Dragon.

double-dragon-film-4.jpg

Yes, he's supposed to be Asian and his name is Koga Shuko.

Laz

Reaction score
Also, did my usual Fourth Of July watch of T2. Still a 9.5/10 movie. Fast talking Furlong and "Bad To The Bone" dock it just a tad from perfection for me.
If George Thorogood is worth knocking points off then I don't wanna hang with you.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's cool. I just associate that song with Problem Child and I can't take it as seriously as a badass anthem with Junior's face in my head.

Laz

Reaction score
Junior was personally responsible for how many serious injuries at that carnival, AND thwarted a convicted murderer on the run from prison? Yeah. Sounds like a badass to me.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, being a kid and watching T2 so many times growing up - I was surprised when I found out that it was a sequel. I remember the first time I watched Terminator, I wasn't super into it and have only given it a few watches over the years compared to the 100s of T2.