Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Talk about all the things you don't have

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't have an IPOD.

I don't have any type of fancy phone that allows me to browse the internet and post on TSM.

I don't have a PS3, XBOX 360, or Wii.

I don't have a 94" HDTV.

I don't have Tivo.

I don't have cable.

I don't have a BluRay or HD DVD player.

I don't have a surround sound system.

I don't have any sort of hand held gaming system.

As you can tell, I probably don't care too much for technology.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
hmm...I have all of those things.

What I don't have is a rope. Which I would need to hang myself if I didn't have all that technology.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only thing from the original list I don't have is HDTV.

In fact, i've NEVER seen a proper HD TV in action showcasing actual HD footage. I'm still wondering what the fuss is about as it's only a picture.

Edit: Funny as it sounds, from the list TI gave us there.. The one that i'd miss the most wouldn't be my TV or Sky+.. It would be my iPod.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
I've got a phone that kinda lets me access TSM, but not very well. I can do facebook fine though.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Never had an Ipod, probably never will.

I have a QWERTY keyboard phone that let's me do some internetting to a degree, but the mobile web is so slow it's not worth using.

Had a 360 but sold it, don't have a PS3.

Don't have a flat screen TV of any size, I have a 5 year old 52" widescreen projection HDTV that still works fine.

I don't have surround sound.

I don't have a high performance PC and I don't have a flat panel monitor for the slow piece of shit I do have.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
Never had an Ipod, probably never will.

I don't have some fancy schmancy touch phone or blackberry or whatever. I have a QWERTY keyboard phone that let's me do some internetting to a degree, but the mobile web is so slow it's not worth using.

Had a 360 but sold it, don't have a PS3.

Don't have a flat screen TV of any size, I have a 5 year old 52" widescreen projection HDTV that still works fine.

I don't have surround sound.

I don't have a high performance PC and I don't have a flat panel monitor for the slow piece of shit I do have.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have...
- A Blackberry
- An XBox 360/PS 3/Wii (Too pricey and I just want a videogame system, not a 7 things in 1 bundle)
- An HDTV or BluRay DVD Player
- A Flatscreen TV
- DirecTV or Comcast Cable or Time Warner Cable (I have Verizon FIOS)

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't have a Mac and I never will. Nor will I have a phone with a keyboard.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't have a surround sound system. I have an HD TV and a blu-ray and HD-dvd player, but that's it for my HD content, as I don't feel like paying $15 a month for the HD box our cable company requires and then another $5-10 for the actual HD content.

I also don't have a Nintendo Dsi.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Twisted Intestine said:
I don't have an IPOD.

I don't have any type of fancy phone that allows me to browse the internet and post on TSM.

I don't have a PS3, XBOX 360, or Wii.

I don't have a 94" HDTV.

I don't have Tivo.

I don't have cable.

I don't have a surround sound system.

I don't have any sort of hand held gaming system.

As you can tell, I probably don't care too much for technology.
This mostly describes me too. Except for the cable, partly because most of the few shows I'd wanna watch are on cable, partly because broadcast reception is pretty dodgy around here. I do not know if my phone can go on the internet or not, for the very excellent reason that I do not care. Why bother taking all that time and hassle to type on the numeric keypad? And those little portable keyboards are just silly. And while we've got a giant widescreen television, I honestly don't even know if it's HD or not since we don't have HD cable or next-gen DVDs or anything that would make a difference.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's kind of funny; I had no use for technology whatsoever until I started at Wal*Mart, and, at the risk of patting myself on the back, took the liberty of learning about it. Since then, I find myself wondering how many of these things I could live without. I've become so spoiled by many of them, even though there's a few shades of my former self:

* I dropped my Ipod in July and it broke. My buddy agreed to sell me his in November when the current series released. I couldn't justify spending the money on a short-term, but bitched daily about how bad the radio was. The first thing I bought along with my Ipod was an FM transmitter; I detest the radio by and large. If I forget my Ipod or the battery's dead or what have you, I'll listen to sports talk on an AM station.

* Virtually every cell on the market has features that I have no use for (camera most of the time, Mp3, internet), so I've kind of been forced into that corner. I did download Score Mobile for my phone, but I find I very seldom actually use it.

* Have a 360, but I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember. This was probably the first system I ever felt an urge to buy ASAP, though.

* I don't think I need a TIVO or PVR on the grounds that I don't watch enough TV to justify it (80-85% of what I watch is sports, and there's highlights on 'round the clock), but almost everyone who owns one has said the same thing, and have advanced to "You'll find things to watch when it's in your control). The one thing I will offer is: How the hell did my parents watch football when they were my age? One early game, one 4pm game? Two at most? That's caveman stuff. I can't imagine not having the sports package: Thirty bucks a month for basically every major sporting event in North America.

* I also didn't realise how much I liked the Internet, until I was without it for two days last week. It's not like I spent that time curled into a fetal position, but I did stop and think at one point "Wow, I really am online a lot". A frightening comparison is when I did a starve-a-thon in '06, I didn't realise how much I ate, just for the sake of eating. There you have it: food = internet in terms of importance.

* In 2006, I bought a Nintendo DS. A buddy of mine kept saying I needed to buy one, I finally caved, played it twice, and returned it. My 360 is more than enough.

* I'd like a Blu Ray or HD/DVD, but my 360 upconverts, and I'm happy with that.

* I was long indifferent to surround sound, until I heard some really good ones. Read my HDTV reply for a similar response.

* EDIT: This, as VX pointed out, was a pretty wordy entry that really had more to do with family problems than it did with HDTV. So, my edited response is that the standard-tv-owner-mentality of 'What I don't know won't hurt me' makes sense, but it really is a night-and-day difference. I'd also like to point out that there's more HDTV owners like Marvin then there isn't. We're a generally spoiled bunch.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Furthermore, to illustrate two points I made in the above post: I went to the CBC studios a few weeks ago to see The Hour with George Stromboulopolous, and was really interested in the exhibits of former cameras and the evolution of TV sets, which seven years ago, I wouldn't have cared about at all. Another exhibit was of Mr. Dressup, including the picture in TI's avatar. Before I said "Hey, I used to watch this guy all the time when I was a kid", I said "Hey, Twisted Intestine!"

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Holy fuck CanadianGuitarist, that was a lot of words.

Anyways, out of all the apparently big tech gadgets out there that seems like everyone else has and I don't, I don't have a digital camera and I also don't have any sort of mp3 player. I've been wanting to get both, especially the latter, for quite some time, but I just never really had the extra money to do so. And when I do, I just spend it on other stuff, mostly kitchen-related stuff as you guys would probably imagine.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
Holy fuck CanadianGuitarist, that was a lot of words.

Anyways, out of all the apparently big tech gadgets out there that seems like everyone else has and I don't, I don't have a digital camera and I also don't have any sort of mp3 player. I've been wanting to get both, especially the latter, for quite some time, but I just never really had the extra money to do so. And when I do, I just spend it on other stuff, mostly kitchen-related stuff as you guys would probably imagine.

It really was, wasn't it? It's also the first time I've ever misspelled Stromboulopolous, but I'll be editing that immediately.

I don't want to dissuade you from getting a digital camera, but I'm surprised how little I use mine, basically any concert/sporting event. I don't even bring mine out to the bars or a party that often any longer. It's got 10x optical zoom, so I'm sure you can imagine how bulky it is; I bet that has a lot to do with it.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
I have an Ipod. 120g classic that I mostly use for movies when I'm stuck working late or something. I can convert any video to Ipod format too, which rocks.

I have an HTC Touch Pro that has a 3.2 megapixel camera, mp3 player and so many other things that I'll never use. But I love the phone, it's great.

I have a 360. My buddy who lives with us hooked up the Wii in the living room. I like the games for it, but truth be told I'm happier playing the NES and SNES games from virtual console.

I have a 52" projection HDTV that I love in the living room. It's great. Have a 32" LCD with a built in DVD player in the bedroom.

I have an HDDVR that makes my tv watching life so simple it's great. I honestly don't know when most of the shows I watch are on anymore.

On the flip side, I don't know anyone who does not have cable.

I don't have a Bluray player since I would have to buy a new tv to use it and I simply can't justify spending that much money on something that only makes a minor difference to me.

I have a nice simple surround sound that gets loud but doesn't shake anything. I'm happy with it.

The better half has a DS that I play Wario Ware on every now and then. She has like, 20 games for it.

In a house with three people we have 7 computers. I have a GPS and an XM radio too. And a digital camera that we never use.

Reaction score
I have..

a laptop and a desktop with a 17" LCD monitor and a 19" widescreen LC monitor
a 32" HD LCD TV
a Nintendo DS
a portable DVD player
a silver Voyager phone (included internet, MP3 player, GPS (if you subscribe), TV (if you subscribe))
a 20 something inch tube TV in the bedroom
a XBOX 360
cable

I don't have

a HDDVR (anymore) :sadface:
Blu ray player
separate GPS
a surround sound system
a really fast internet connetion (mine is like 1.5mb down and .9mb up)

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I don't have a Blu-Ray player either then again I don't know anyone else who does, and I work with filmmakers and such too, which is the funny part. I guess no one cares to that extent to switch quite yet.
CanadianGuitarist said:
I don't want to dissuade you from getting a digital camera, but I'm surprised how little I use mine, basically any concert/sporting event. I don't even bring mine out to the bars or a party that often any longer. It's got 10x optical zoom, so I'm sure you can imagine how bulky it is; I bet that has a lot to do with it.
See, I keep filling up my super crappy 1.5mp camera phone with pictures and then uploading them to the net to clear out room. I like taking a lot of pictures, as I also have a sweeeet film SLR that I shoot black and white with on occasion when I feel like going out for a walk and snapping some pictures. I've thought about a digital SLR but THAT would be too much.. I'd much rather have one of those slimmer cameras that fit easily in your pocket like a phone or whatever, but I'd still probably use it mostly for taking pictures of dishes I make at home, which is kind of one of my weird little quirks/hobbies.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I have an iPod; I got it broken off of eBay & fixed it up (although I still haven't worked out what is wrong with the electric wiring in here that makes rechargeable batteries go to shit; I'm on my 3rd iPod battery, my Play & Charge battery gets super-hot in the controller, and I'd be due a 3rd cell phone battery if we hadn't upgraded when we did).

Have a 360 (got it for $300 in August 2005 as a 50/50 birthday present...with RROD on arrival, but a month later they introduced the free fix), thought about a PS3 but I'm now waiting for a price drop & a bundle with a couple games I want. Won't touch Wii.

I'm using a 20" TV from Wal-Mart. No HD, no flat screen, just a big bulky thing on the dresser.

DVR is downstairs, it came with the DISH subscription we bought. My mom's got it so full of Clean House episodes I couldn't use it if I wanted to.

No Blu-ray or HD-DVD, no surround sound.

My mom got a PSP for no apparent reason, she's never used it to my knowledge. I got a DS a few years back just before I started going to college. $75 off eBay because it had a scratch on the touch screen...I never did get around to fixing that, but it's not that big of a distraction to me any more.

Oh, my phone has a 2MP camera I don't use that often. I picked up a 7.2MP camera a while back...I don't really use that, it's just a matter of having it on hand so whenever I get around to doing something I want to bring a camera for, I don't have to run out & buy a bunch of disposables and then worry about running out/having leftover film.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I don't have a cool phone. It takes pictures and has a shitty half-assed browser, and I think I could "bluetooth" with it if I wanted to, but it's pretty simple compared to what's cutting edge right now. I'm somewhat jealous of people with phones that have entire keypads and GPS capabilities and all that kind of shit.

I don't have a cool TV either. My TV is like 10 years old. It's big and it still works, but other than that it doesn't have much going for it. I do have a PS3, so at some point I need to upgrade to a better TV to get the full experience of the games.

I don't have a crazy soundsystem in my car. I have friends who have subwoofers in the trunk and under the seats and 8 different speakers all over the car. It's cool, and it sounds fucking great, but c'mon...people who go out of their way to make sure pedestrians and people at stop lights and old ladies in their houses that are too close to the road can hear what they're listening to with amazing clarity and earthshaking bass are generally assholes.

I don't have a GPS in my car either

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
To the people who don't have an IPOD (or Zune or whatever), you need one. I can't imagine living without one at this point, it's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Reaction score
Precious Roy said:
I don't have a cool phone. It takes pictures and has a shitty half-assed browser, and I think I could "bluetooth" with it if I wanted to, but it's pretty simple compared to what's cutting edge right now. I'm somewhat jealous of people with phones that have entire keypads and GPS capabilities and all that kind of shit.

I don't have a cool TV either. My TV is like 10 years old. It's big and it still works, but other than that it doesn't have much going for it. I do have a PS3, so at some point I need to upgrade to a better TV to get the full experience of the games.

I don't have a crazy soundsystem in my car. I have friends who have subwoofers in the trunk and under the seats and 8 different speakers all over the car. It's cool, and it sounds fucking great, but c'mon...people who go out of their way to make sure pedestrians and people at stop lights and old ladies in their houses that are too close to the road can hear what they're listening to with amazing clarity and earthshaking bass are generally assholes.

I don't have a GPS in my car either

Woah, woah, woah. Easy there. I have 2 12's, 2 Memphis 6x9's (which are amazing), 2 stock door speakers and a cool Kenwood deck.. I'm certainly no asshole. It's called "bumping responsibly".

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I dont have a working 360 (which will be getting sorted soon)

I dont have HDTV (i have the TV just not the service which broadcasts an HD signal)

I dont have surround sound.

I dont have Sat Nav, or MP3 in my car.