Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Terminator 2 is twenty years old

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Corey_Lazarus said:
Epic Reine said:
Has anyone seen what Edward Furlong looks like today? He had a small part in The Green Hornet where he looked fine, but going on recent pictures, dude let himself go in a huge way.
Heroin's bad, mmkay?

EdFurlong.jpg

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Odd how former heroin addicts just balloon up.

Linda Hamilton looks like AH, FUCK, KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jingus said:
Tony Bagels said:
I'm just a big gay snob
I felt this deserved more attention. Jingus's choice to reply to that made me lawl.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So if in Terminator 1, 2, 3, if the Terminator had been successful in killing John Connor, does the John Connor in the future just vanish? Or does it just create a new timeline, and all the terminators being sent back creates new timelines?

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
So if in Terminator 1, 2, 3, if the Terminator had been successful in killing John Connor, does the John Connor in the future just vanish? Or does it just create a new timeline, and all the terminators being sent back creates new timelines?

Well if we follow the rules set forth in Timecop, as we undoubtedly should...I believe it creates an alternate timeline.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Jingus said:
Tony Bagels said:
This folder is weirdly way more interested in picking apart shitty movies than it is in talking about the good parts of good movies.
Yeah. It's much easier, and often more fun. Whenever I write a review, it's always more enjoyable to rip apart a shitty movie than to praise a good one. Why? No clue. I just know it makes me feel that way, and apparently I'm not alone.

I just don't get this attitude at all. I mean, it's one thing to riff on some shitty movie on cable when you're hangin out with your bros and drinking beers, but it's something else entirely to sit down at your computer and actually type up a whole bunch of words about some bad movie. Why bother? You could spend that time so much more productively! You could be reading a book, or having sex, or discussing a good movie.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry, Byron.

But yea, Terminator 2 is awesome. It took me way too long to finally see it, but I'm so glad I did. Arnold kicking ass at the mental hospital, revealing himself to be the good guy is just too good.

I just don't get this attitude at all. I mean, it's one thing to riff on some shitty movie on cable when you're hangin out with your bros and drinking beers, but it's something else entirely to sit down at your computer and actually type up a whole bunch of words about some bad movie. Why bother?

It's more fun, and easier, to rip a film to shreds then it is to praise a film and articulate why you like it. When I used to write up my Top 10 and Bottom 5 of each year, I always found it took a lot shorter to poke fun at the bad movies, then it did to really go in-depth into the good movies

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tony Bagels said:
You could spend that time so much more productively! You could be reading a book, or having sex, or discussing a good movie.

Now there's an alternate timeline!

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
You know what's a really good scene? This one

Terminator 2 Judgement Day - Miles Dyson/Sarah Conner Scene 1920x1080 Blu-Ray Rip

So many cool touches. The reflected pool light dancing on the side of the house, the way Cameron drags out the tension for a couple extra beats, the way the steel blue of the exteriors/Dyson's study contrasts with the warmer colors of the living room, the shot of Sarah's eye through the scope, Sarah getting the Terminator soundtrack cue as she's approaching the house, the shot of her finger on the trigger. Great stuff.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty much every time travel story ever will completely fall apart once you think about it enough. The only such movie which seemed even close to tying it all together seamlessly was Primer; and even with that one, it might be that the movie is just so bewilderingly complex that I never had time to notice the plot holes.

Mattdotcom said:
Tony Bagels said:
You could spend that time so much more productively! You could be reading a book, or having sex, or discussing a good movie.
Now there's an alternate timeline!
Dammit, I was just going to make that exact joke. But on topic, railing on a bad movie is just more fun for me than praising a good one. If it's a so-good-it's-bad movie, mocking it can be a fairly joyous thing; if it's so-bad-it's-just-bad experience, I'll probably be feeling bitchy about having wasted my time on it and wanting to vent about what fuckheads the filmmakers were.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty much every time travel story ever will completely fall apart once you think about it enough. The only such movie which seemed even close to tying it all together seamlessly was Primer; and even with that one, it might be that the movie is just so bewilderingly complex that I never had time to notice the plot holes.

Yea, I figured. I was just wondering if the movie or Cameron ever had an explanation as to what happens

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
Robert Patrick has aged incredibly well. I remember watching him in The Marine and thinking he didn't look much different at all from Terminator 2.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
then as an easter egg, the extended director's cut. If i remember correctly you had to enter in a password, which was either the year the Terminator was sent back to, or the year the War vs Machines started, can't remember so much anymore.

I never knew this so thanks. After selecting Special Edition, press 82997 on your remote (you may have to press enter after each number) and it should appear.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
atticus Chaos said:
Robert Patrick has aged incredibly well. I remember watching him in The Marine and thinking he didn't look much different at all from Terminator 2.

Little known fact: Robert Patrick was cast in T2 because he is actually a cyborg IRL

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Mattdotcom:personally I blame the Nostalgia Critic for replacing interesting discourse and debates with humorless jokes at full volume. He should be drawn and quartered imo.Another fun story about awesome movie Terminator 2: My mom got me some kind of sour gum that somehow tied into the movie that came with a sticker that looked like a bullet crack, which I promptly used to ruin the new family entertainment center. I didn't get in trouble, though, probably because T2 is so great. But hey, since everyone would rather discuss something that's bad instead of good, what are your thoughts on Edward Furlong's performance and Cameron's seemingly unwavering focus on it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the special edition that isn't a director's cut mostly adds more John Connor to the film than anything else.

I remember the sour gum. The bullet hole sticker you mentioned is still on my bedroom window at our old house.

Laz

Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:

Yea, I figured. I was just wondering if the movie or Cameron ever had an explanation as to what happens
Going by how the Terminator series pretty much makes it set in stone that certain events are going to happen regardless of its primary players or its timeframe, I'd wager that the paradox being created by going back in time is nullified indefinitely. There will always be a human resistance that will inevitably succeed, as all versions of the human resistance does in the series, but the key players and how they do say may change. Fate happens in the big picture sense, but it's the little details that change.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Bumping this as I just re-watched the original last night and it's still fucking awesome and is certainly better than T2 (even though T2 is pretty damn awesome too). I love how imperfect Michael Biehn is as Kyle Reese. The way he trips when he runs and how ineffective he is at times at stopping the Terminator is how a real person would react in the situation as opposed to the picture perfect protagonists we see in action movies today.

Oh by the way, there's a 6th film coming out next year with both Arnold and Linda Hamilton returning. Joy.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
Bumping this as I just re-watched the original last night and it's still fucking awesome and is certainly better than T2 (even though T2 is pretty damn awesome too). I love how imperfect Michael Biehn is as Kyle Reese. The way he trips when he runs and how ineffective he is at times at stopping the Terminator is how a real person would react in the situation as opposed to the picture perfect protagonists we see in action movies today.

Oh by the way, there's a 6th film coming out next year with both Arnold and Lina Hamilton returning. Joy.

Funny you should bump this. I was going through my Facebook memories the other day, and I had one from a few years ago where I compared the original movie to Halloween. There are many similarities since many people consider the original a slasher film. You have the emotionless killer coming after the final girl and the obsessed man trying to capture the killer.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've seen many have 1 over 2, but during my last rewatch I still have T2 as the tops. It might not be as dark, but I just love the extra heart and the relentless pace. Both are two of my favorite action movies, so having one over the other isn't ridiculous.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Just did a re-watch of both the original and T2. I can see why some would prefer the original as it is a much more simple movie (I don't mean that in a bad way), and the original Terminator showing some signs of damage and vulnerability creates more drama than an unstoppable force.

But, with that said, I gotta go T2. Honestly, I think it's probably the best big budget action movie ever made.

Despite it being made back in 1990 I actually like the special effects better in T2 than in action movies now. T2 used a mix of live action sequences and CGI. I kinda feel it was the sweet spot for action movies. As good as CGI is today it still isn't quite the same as the live stuff, and I feel like big action movies today have become too CGI.

The story in T2 definitely takes a grander, more complex arc than in the original, but I feel T2 pulls it off almost perfect. Stuff that has a high probability of being corny if not both shot and acted perfectly, like the scene where John sees the two kids fighting with the guns and says, "we aren't going to make it, are we?" comes across well and actually adds to the end of the world vibe.

Normally, when you have a classic movie like the original Terminator I think you're better off making the sequel more simple and grittier than the original. The fact that T2 is able to turn that on it's head is amazing. They were somehow able to make it more complex, but also better. You see in the future installments how hard this is, where I would argue they would've been better off creating a more simple storyline with a less advanced Terminator that showed some signs of vulnerablity (similar to the original).

Between the perfect special effects, the more complex story actually adding to the movie, the acting, the music and how it was done on such a grand scale I have to say T2 was probably the only perfect action movie I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I just politefully nod when people say they prefer T1 to T2. Edward Furlong is kind of grating and probably the one criticism I would agree with is him and the kid friendly atmosphere he brings, but honestly T2 gets better every year I watch it. T1 is also a great movie and I love that it veers more towards horror than sci-fi at points, but I just love the scope of T2. The acting is better, the action scenes are bigger and better, special effects bigger and hold up, the storyline is bigger and better, the side characters are more interesting like Miles Dyson, the directing is incredible, the score is still one of my favorites ever, and I can go on and on.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
with that being said I still feel vibrant and in the prime of my life, don't let society tell you you can't hula hoop just because you're not 25 anymore

Laz

Reaction score
I agree with everything @geniusMoment said. There are only two other movies I'd consider anything close to being the "perfect action movie," Die Hard and Hard Target, but T2 is such a better movie overall than either of those that its throne cannot be challenged.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like T1 is like Alien and T2 is Aliens. Like @Brocklock , I will nod politely if someone says first is best but we all know which one you are going to pick to watch if you have friends over and a couple of Surge & Vodkas.